Jane D’Ark Chapter Six
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An hour later, Ryoko and I were well on our way to Yokomaki City. I occupied the seat next to the window, my gaze fixed on the passing scenery. The Shizuka Nani Isles chain sprawled out before us, a picturesque sight in the Northern Hemisphere. Unlike the typical tropical islands, these were more reminiscent of the mainland, adorned with lush forests and rolling hills. Despite the soothing greenery that usually puts me at ease, Felicity's concerns gnaw at the corners of my mind.

 

So far, Ryoko had remained tight-lipped about whatever favor Mister Strickland had enlisted us for. The suspense was eating away at me.

 

"What do you know about the two interns quitting?" I asked, breaking the silence.

 

Ryoko leaned back in his seat, contemplating my question. "Not much, only that they were female, and the task they were assigned was a favor Mister Strickland owed to someone," he revealed.

 

I pressed further, my curiosity growing. "So, what was the favor, and what was the task?"

 

"No one ever found out," Ryoko confessed, his voice hushed. "After the two employees left, they were whisked away to the mainland, and all that remained were rumors. No one's heard from them since."

 

I recline my head on the comfortable seat, pondering the bizarre turn of events. Ryoko, however, leaned closer and whispered in my ear, "Don't worry, Jane. If things get awkward, I'll protect you."

 

A shiver of flusters ran through me. Ryoko didn't need to play the gallant knight in shining armor. His charm, while effective, wasn't something I was in the mood for today. If I were one of his admirers, I might have fallen for it long ago. Fortunately, I was made of sterner stuff.

 

"Get a grip, Ryoko. I'm not some helpless little girl in need of a big brother," I retorted.

 

"I know you're tough, Miss Jane," Ryoko conceded with a knowing smile.

 

Back in our junior high and high school days, we shared many extracurricular activities, from Kendo and judo to archery and track. That didn't count the swim team and gymnastics team. I even had time for the drill team and majorettes team. Ryoko was a legend in Kendo, and we had both been athletes of considerable prowess.

 

"Hey, take a look at this, Jane," Ryoko said, breaking my train of thought.

 

I glanced at his tablet, where Felicity had sent him a video. The footage displayed something peculiar—a creature lurking within the tree line of a forest. The timestamp indicated it was recorded yesterday evening. My curiosity piqued, and I checked my phone, only to find a series of videos sent by Hattie. Upon watching a few, I was struck by their eerie nature. People were inexplicably vanishing, as if they were dematerializing into particles or phasing out of existence. These occurrences took place in areas where those mysterious creatures had been spotted, either just before or shortly after their appearances.

 

"What do you think is happening?" Ryoko whispered, his voice tinged with uncertainty.

 

The fact that he was seeking my opinion was rather surprising, but it was a comforting gesture. After all, I worked in security, and we had both started in the same department.

 

"It's hard to say for certain," I replied, my brows furrowing in thought. "The poor video quality could be contributing to the confusion. Nowadays, phones have excellent cameras, so it's unusual for such low-quality footage. It could be interference affecting the video quality, but I can't say for sure."

 

"Yeah, it might be nothing..." Ryoko trailed off, lost in thought.

 

After that, the cabin grew quiet. Ryoko focused on the videos sent by Hattie, Felicity, and even Hitomi, each offering their own piece of the puzzle. I found myself drawn into the mystery, and with plenty of time left until we arrived in Yokomaki City, there was no shortage of material to scrutinize.

_____

Yokomaki City stretched out before me, a familiar skyline adorned with a few more skyscrapers than I remembered from my youth. This place held countless cherished memories of my upbringing. While it would have been heartwarming to visit Mom and Dad, the constraints of time weighed heavily on my mind. It had been two long years since I last set foot here, opting for a career at the Ceal Corporation over attending Yokomaki University. As we approached the east side of the main island, memories flooded back as if they were yesterday. 'I guess I could call Mom and Dad on my break,' I thought, momentarily indulging in nostalgia.

 

As we disembarked, a man awaited us, holding a sign bearing our names. I glanced at Ryoko, noting the concern etched on his face. Behind the shady figure holding the sign, a black sedan loomed ominously. The man was a formidable presence—tall, burly, with unruly black hair and an unsettlingly pale complexion. His oversized black sunglasses concealed his eyes, and his stature rivaled Ryoko's. However, Ryoko bore none of the weight that seemed to burden this perplexing figure.

 

Ryoko gently held my arm, stepping forward ahead of me. I understood his unspoken intention and chose to remain silent for now. As we approached the man, he flashed a smile. He removed his sunglasses, revealing eyes that glimmered unnaturally, akin to the hue of gold or yellow.

 

"Names Biff," the man introduced himself. "I'll be your liaison for the day."

 

He courteously opened the car door for us. "Ladies first?" Biff whispered, attempting to display chivalry.

 

If he aimed to impress with his gentlemanly act, he paled in comparison to Ryoko. Biff exuded an unsettling vibe, the kind that made you wary of being alone with him or at his mercy. It was evident that Ryoko remained on high alert around this man, a sight I had never witnessed before. It was a stark departure from the composed Ryoko I knew. Startlingly, he took the lead, gently ushering me inside and firmly closing the door himself. I observed him discreetly sliding something between the door and its locking mechanism. Biff seemed oblivious to this action, simply shrugging before making his way to the driver's seat. As he squeezed himself behind the wheel, the sedan seemed to sag under his immense bulk.

 

"You'll be meeting the boss at the studio. He'll explain your tasks for the day," Biff stated, adjusting the rear-view mirror.

 

The hulking man's unnerving gaze was fixated on me, even though those inscrutable sunglasses. The rumbling engine of the sedan roared to life, and with that, the car began its journey, Biff at the wheel.

_____

The journey to this perplexing studio was swift and tinged with an air of uncertainty. It was evident from the moment we arrived that this place bore no resemblance to any Ceal Corporation property I had ever seen. It presented itself as an inconspicuous establishment, a nondescript business lost amidst the sea of obscurity. As we pulled into a parking garage located beneath the building, my curiosity grew. The garage was oddly deserted, and I couldn't help but ponder whether these people had ever been associated with our company.

 

The sedan came to a halt, and it was peculiar that Biff, our unnerving liaison, opened my door instead of Ryoko's. He extended his hand with a courtesy that felt more like a facade. However, Ryoko wasted no time stepping out of the car and promptly guiding me out from his side. I observed a flicker of surprise on Biff's face as he discovered the other door unlocked. He quickly regained his composure, but it was evident he harbored resentment over the missed opportunity.

 

Biff took the lead with Ryoko by my side as we followed a few paces behind, growing increasingly uneasy. I reached for my phone, intending to make a call with my home phone as a precautionary measure. However, I was met with the frustration of no signal. Thinking on my feet, I turned to my work phone, which I knew had a satellite link. The call went through, and I discreetly slipped the device into a hidden sleeve within my sling backpack.

 

We ventured down a lengthy corridor, our footsteps echoing in the dimly lit space until we reached a door. Once again, Biff greeted us with his unsettling smile and those ever-repeating words. "Ladies, first?"

 

Ryoko's patience wore thin, and he snapped at Biff, his outburst taking me by surprise. "Enough with the 'ladies first' act. We're here on a task from our Floor Manager. Get to the point. We're on the clock!"

 

I couldn't hide my shock at Ryoko's uncharacteristic behavior. Still, his reaction reassured me that I wasn't alone in feeling discomforted by Biff.

 

"Take it easy, boss. I'm just trying to be nice to the little lady here," Biff retorted with a tone as sleazy as his smile.

 

Before I could give this obnoxious man a piece of my mind, Ryoko beat me to it with a stern warning. "Jane's not a 'little lady.' She's in Ceal's security department. Keep it up, and she'll break your damn arm."

 

There wasn't much I needed to add; Ryoko had already made it clear that I was more than capable of handling myself. I was on the verge of breaking Biff's arm, and he seemed to understand the gravity of the situation.

 

"As I said, just trying to be friendly," Biff replied, raising his hands as if surrendering before opening the door and leading us inside.

 

"You're not with the company, are you? We're on the clock and we don't have time for bullshit!" I snapped. 

 

"I hear you there, little lady," Biff shot back.

 

"Cut the bullshit already! We've got work to do!" I barked back.

 

The interior of the space was a peculiar blend of a photography studio and a furniture store. At its center stood a massive black desk, behind which sat another imposing figure.

0