Chapter 5 – New Friend
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Muscae had left the room silence spread between Ain and Cheleb.

Just as Ain was contemplating whether or not he should let the other go out so Cheleb could calm his nervousness, the other spoke up.

“W-would y-you like to freshen u-up?”

Slowly Ain began to question his appearance.

Did he really look that intimidating?

“If you don’t feel comfortable around me, then it’s also alright if you just leave.”, Ain said gently.

“N-no need. I-it’s my j-job and I will fulfill it!” With each following word, Cheleb seemed to gain some confidence.

Ain raised his eyebrows.

Well if he wanted to face his fears then he would not stop him, even if it felt weird that he himself was the reason for this fear.

Cheleb walked Ain further inside the room and opened another door.

Ain followed the other slowly and a while later he could hear the sound of water.

Wow, there was even a bathroom in his room?

Ain liked his new home more and more.

Once he arrived in the bathroom, Ain could not resist glancing at Cheleb’s soul a few more times.

He found it fascinating that someone could keep such a pure soul even in adulthood, usually he only saw such pureness in children.

Only when Ain saw embarrassment appear in Cheleb’s soul was he reminded that it was impolite to stare at another so much and he turned his eyes away.

When Ain heard that Cheleb turned off the water, he began to undress himself.

As soon as his foot touched the water, Ain was surprised again.

Warm water!

Letting out a small sigh, he fully immersed himself in the comfortable water and relaxed for a while.

After he was fully clean, dried, and clothed, Ain followed Cheleb to a dressing table.

Cheleb carefully combed through Ain’s long hair.

Suddenly Ain heard an almost inaudible voice behind him whisper, “Why do you keep staring so much at me?”

Ain’s face heated up when he heard that he had been caught staring.

He had thought his glances were low-key enough, but it seemed he had overestimated himself.

“Do I look so strange, that everybody needs to stare?” The unexpected outburst of emotion caught Ain by surprise.

He turned his head towards the other person only to be greeted by a wave of sadness and … self-hatred.

Ain was at a loss for words, as he couldn’t understand where this sudden outbreak of self-hate came from.

“Strange? No, I-I didn’t think that.” Ain hastily shouted out.

“I-I just kept looking because- because I found you so…” Ain tried to find a fitting word to describe to uniqueness of Cheleb’s soul, but the only word he could come up with was simple,

“…beautiful.”

Ain slowly grew nervous, because he heard no response from the other person.

It couldn’t be that he had already ruined the relationship with his attendant on the first day right?

“Really? But- How? Aren’t I’m ugly?”, an unbelieving voice could be heard.

Stunned Ain replied, “How could you think like that of yourself? The only thing I can see is how beautiful you are.”

After a while, a stifled laughter came from the other.

“He he he. You are the first person to say so…”

Shortly after saying this Cheleb was back to his previous self and he continued making Ain’s hair.

Only this time there was less fear than before.

Hesitantly Ain spoke up again.

“I’m sorry for making you unhappy. If I start starring again just tell me, and I’ll try my best to correct this behavior.”

“No need!” Cheleb said resolutely.

“Your words reminded me that I should not hide myself just because I fear what others think! I want to overcome my fears!”, he announced proudly.

“You are really brave.”

“Thanks! You are also very nice Mister! Not at all like the humans I have met so far!”

Ain tilted his head slightly, not being able to comprehend this strange compliment.

“Thank you, I guess?”

Once Cheleb was finished with his work, he went to get lunch for Ain.

The lunch seemed to have been freshly prepared, as its smell was mouthwatering.

Cheleb arranged the food and just when Ain was about to start eating, he heard a growl.

Ain lifted his head to look at Cheleb.

The young boy was embarrassed.

After hesitating for a second Ain said, “Do you want to eat with me?”

Cheleb was shocked by this suggestion.

He hastily refused only to get betrayed by another stomach growling.

Ain laughed at this.

“I really don’t mind. Besides eating together is nicer than eating alone.”

Defeated and embarrassed Cheleb cautiously sat down next to Ain.

“Thanks for the food.”, he said.

Once the first bite entered Ain’s mouth he was flashed.

The food tasted heavenly! Without being able to stop Ain began stuffing the food inside his mouth.

He had never tasted such good food in his life.

Back at the inn he had already labeled the food there as first class, but here the food was even better!

As both of them were busy eating no word was said between them, but the two of them still enjoyed a harmonious meal.

Once they were finished, Cheleb tidied up and then left the room.

Before leaving he told Ain that he would come to get him when it was time for dinner.

Now alone Ain began exploring the room.

It was truly spacious, incomparable to his former bedroom.

After a while of exploring he found that his bedroom not only had a giant window, but there was even a bench in front of it, full of pillows.

It was very comfortable to sit on it.

Ain could imagine this place to become his favorite part of the room.

Especially since the scenery outside was marvelous.

From the window, he could see a large garden with many big and small plants.

Ain hoped that someday he would be able to take a walk in it.

That’s how he spent the rest of his day, looking out of the giant window, imagining how it would be to stroll through it.

. . .

A knock on the door made him wake up from his fantasies.

Without realizing it, the sun had already set.

“Mister here is Cheleb! I came to fetch you for dinner!”

Upon hearing the lively voice of Cheleb, Ain turned his head towards the door and told him to enter.

“It’s so dark in here! Why didn’t you turn on the lights Mister.”

“Oh. I must have forgotten.”

“How can you forget about something like that?”, muttered Cheleb while turning on the lights.

Ain got up from the bench by the window and headed towards Cheleb.

“Well, whatever. Let’s go. The Master is already waiting!”

Without waiting for Ain’s response he had already grabbed his hand and was walking towards the dining room with him.

It was fascinating to see the boy who was so afraid of him that he had trouble talking, was now holding his hand without any fear.

And all of that only happened in the span of a few hours.

He didn’t know how it happened but it was nice.

A short while later they arrived at the dining room.

Muscae opened the door for the two of them and greeted them.

Like Cheleb had said the Duke was already seated.

He seemed to be in a good mood.

“Ah, there you are my dear. You look as beautiful as ever. A high ponytail really suits you.”, the Duke praised.

Unsure how to respond to his compliments, Ain choose to remain quiet.

but the Duke continued to tease him.

“No need to feel shy, dear.”, he laughed.

While the Duke was having fun, Cheleb escorted Ain to his seat.

Once seated Ain began to look for the cutlery inconspicuously.

Meanwhile, the food was being served.

“How do you like it so far?”, the Duke asked.

“It’s very nice, especially my room.”

“You really seem to enjoy your single room, huh?”, he sounded hurt and although Ain was able to see through his teasing, he didn’t know how to respond.

But luckily for him, the Duke continued with another question.

“What do you like the most about it?”

Ain could answer that question without thinking about it.

“The big window with the bench. It’s nice to sit there and look into the garden.”

Ain hesitated, before continuing.

“Would you allow me to take a walk in the garden someday?”

“Of course. That’s nothing that needs my permission.”

Hearing that he was allowed in the garden made Ain unbelievably happy.

Back at home, the only places he could visit were his bedroom and sometimes the dining hall.

After a moment of silence, the Duke made a suggestion.

“How about we go together? I’ll show you all the nice places.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. How about this? We will meet in my office tomorrow after lunch and then go on a walk together.”

Ain nodded in response then he happily continued eating his dinner.

Feeling a gaze on him, Ain looked up again.

The Duke was still looking at him.

“It’s nothing. Enjoy your dinner.”, he said with a low laugh.

Ain noticed anticipation rising inside the Duke’s soul.

The Duke must really be looking forward to their outing, Ain thought relieved.

1