A far off danger final
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kalis was scared, scared of the future. She wasn't scared about a punishment for losing the battle. She wasn't scared of what would happen about losing the ship. She was scared of living the rest of her life with the constant torment of guilt, she carried responsibility for all the deaths that occurred during her brief but disastrous command of the 'Swift Defense'. 

In the 5 days since making contact with the 'Huntsman's Arrow' She had wondered and worried about what was to come after the abysmal defeat. Her life had quickly become a web of stress and guilt punctuated occasionally by small moments of light. The night they made contact with their rescuers Colton had asked her in his own wayto teach him the galactic common language, which he appeared to be a quick study of, Kalis understood his point of view to an extent.

"If I'm to die I'd want to be able to look my executioner in the eye and tell him exactly where he can shove it and how deep.’

Another brief victory occurred when they found a clean stream that cascaded into a small water fall perfect for bathing downstream and collecting clean ...ish drinking water upstream. Over the last few days Colton had proven himself invaluable when it came to hunting as the rations aboard the escape craft didn't last long after the local fauna descended on the crash, luckily the animals left the water purification tablets untouched. Even with colton proving his worth Kalis couldn't bring herself to completely trust him, but he did impress her if only a little with his vast knowledge of seemingly ridiculously crude methods of hunting and trapping game.

'He's also pretty good at cooking it, honestly if he chose to run I'm sure he could survive on this planet by himself. That begs the question however; why doesn't he try to escape?’

As the suns rose and painted the cave mouth in light Colton stirred from where he was laying near the coals of last night's cooking fire and sat up, stretching. Turning he spotted Kalis already sitting up against the wall of the cave and spoke to her. 

“Lieutenant Commander, I… you….. we? Go food.”

Kalis raised an eyebrow before responding.

“You want me to go with you?”

Kalis pointed to herself then to him then to the cave mouth. Colton nodded then continued to speak. 

“We go food…. River?”

Kalis shook her head not understanding. 

“You want to go hunt near the river?”

Colton shook his head.

“No…. We go food? River umm $;÷&@^.”

“Huh?”

“$;÷&@^”

After he spoke he pantomimed, placing his hands on either side of his face and inflating his cheeks while opening and closing his puckered lips, imitating a fish. Looking at this ridiculous display Kalis couldn't hold her laughter and cracked up. 

“You mean fish, you want to go fishing, alright i'll follow you but if you try anything I'll cut your dick off and feed it to you.”

“fish, yes.” 

“Well I don't know if those fish are edible but let's go.”

Standing up Colton gathered the makeshift spear he had fashioned a few days by sharpening a stick using the jagged edge of a piece of a panel from the crashed escape craft. 

As the pair left the cave they followed the now well known path from the game trail to the stream, then finally the river. Only a few feet deeper than the stream and barely ranking as a river, the muddy water was only 5 feet deep at the deepest point. After finally arriving at the waters edge Colton squatted down on the bank and looked out over the water as if deep in thought, Kalis standing beside him scoffed.

“Well smart guy, how are you going to get a fish with no net? What if there's predatory animals in the water?”

Colton didn't answer but looked up at her before holding up his right hand as if making a fist pointing upward with only his thumb sticking out to the side, which confused Kalis. After Colton stood back up he motioned her to follow as he moved down stream, slowly the river got wider and wider. 

—--------

Finally after 45 minutes of walking, Colton noticed a opening in the trees on both sides of the river and a large body of water came into view beyond. 

‘Must be a lake.’

Coming out of the trees a beautiful white sand beach stretched in both directions with no end in sight. 

‘Must be a big ass lake, can't even see the other side.’ 

Beside him Kalis gasped then nudged him, turning he noticed she was pointing to something 200 yards down the beach to their left. 

“The hell is that?” 

Kalis looked at him briefly after he spoke, then returned her gaze to the small figure at the waters edge. 

“&=*×>@^” 

Speaking excitedly she withdrew Coltons shortened 1911 in its holster from her waistband and the magazine from her pocket before handing both to him with a hard gaze. Taking them Colton locked the slide back, inserted the magazine, then hit the slide release before engaging the safety and offering it back to her butt first. Kalis glanced Down at the pistol and shaking her head gestured for him to keep it. 

“&$*$<=&×@*”

Colton nodded his head and loosened his belt to accommodate the new bulk of the familiar appendix rig. Indicating that he was ready, Colton picked the makeshift spear from where he had laid it down and offered it to Kalis as the pair started down the beach towards the distant figure of someone sitting in the sand. 

Drawing closer it figure became more and more clear before revealing itself to be a small girl sitting looking out over the calm water. Kalis threw Colton a bewildered look to which he replied with a shrug, indicating that Kalis should wait he approached the girl from behind while drawing the pistol as a precaution. Without turning the girl spoke. 

“You can holster the cow killer Captain, I'm not a threat. Come and cop a squat, you've walked a long way today, take a load off.”

Colton immediately stopped caught completely off guard by the statement made in perfect English. Cautiously he made his way around to the front of the girl with his pistol held loosely at his side. 

“Did you just speak English?”

“I did, and you responded in English, but I see your still a little on edge Colton.” 

“who are you and how do you know who I am?” 

“I know a lot of things, Captain Colton Greeter, born in Plainview, Texas November 15th 1994 to a rancher father and a half comanche mother from oklahoma. You served in the U.S. air force as a Special Tactics Officer until you lost your right hand middle finger to a kalashnikov round in South America shortly after being promoted. I also know you've used your left hand to jerk off ever since. As for who I am…..”

Pausing the girl who Colton now saw to be a young girl of 18 or 19 with silver hair and eyes that matched her dress, furrowed her brow snd scrunched her small upturned nose in thought before continuing. 

“You can call me Athena.”

“Like the Greek goddess?”

“Got it in one, but unlike the goddess I'm real.”

“And how do you know all about me?”

“I'm the one that brought you here…. Sorta.”

Coltons breath caught. 

“Sorta?”

“I influenced things so it would turn out this way.”

“Influenced?”

“That habit of taking one word from my statement and turning it into a question is going to get old fast. Yes I started a series of events that would result in you meeting me here right here right now.”

Sighing inwardly at the first half of Athens words Colton tried to figure out how to phrase his next question.

“you're gonna have to explain a little better than that.”

“I'm not human, something similar but not the same. I'm what's called a Fleor, as a species we are effectively immortal, can see all possible futures to a certain extent, and a few other things. That aside we're pretty much the same as humans, to the extent if you want we can interbreed though it may take a few tries due to our extremely low chance of pregnancy, I like it rough and from behind if that's the direction you want to take things, but I don't know if we've got 9 months to spare though.”

“I'm not looking to get my dick wet with an alien, you still haven't explained how or more importantly why you've brought me here.”

Standing up Athena brushed sand from her rear while pouting slightly. 

“Technically you're the alien Captain I'm from this planet, but suit yourself, I wouldn't mind an alien creampie. To answer your question when one is able to see the future, it becomes possible to influence it. I simply looked at possible futures and took actions to make this present happen. Ever heard of the butterfly effect? It's kinda like that.”

“That doesn't answer w-”

“I was getting to why, slow your roll. Girls don't like men who are too eager, foreplay is important. I brought you here to save the Caligian republic.”

Colton was starting to get annoyed with the girl's attitude but decided to try to ignore it and get more information out of the strange immortal. 

“The Caligian republic?”

“There's that habit again, come on dude you aren't a parrot. Yes the Caligian republic, they control the area of space we are currently in but I don't know for how long that will last. We Fleor may have originally been from this planet but as humanity expanded we each went to one of the major powers, humans have the greatest capacity for destruction out of all the species in the universe, so we decided we would keep an eye on things and keep you reined in from the shadows. Affecting the future is easier the closer you are to the location of the event your trying to change, so each of the Fleor are responsible for a different power.”

“That doesn't tell me much.”

“The Caligian republic is on the verge of collapse, political corruption, threat of war, and sheer incompetence have all pushed the republic to the edge of the cliff and any one of those factors are poised to give it the last shove. If that happens not just the republic but all of humanity will be plunged into chaos. I'd rather that not happen, some of you humans can fuck all night so it would be a tremendous problem for my saturday nights.”

“I think I understand, but why didn't you step in until now?”

“Colton, do you know the difference between fate and the future?”

Colton was puzzled by the question and shook his head. 

“Fate is what MUST happen, the future is what will happen, all roads lead to rome as the saying goes. Though I can see and change the future even I cannot change fate, Nor can I see the future beyond this meeting. speaking of which there should have been a girl with you, I picked the most talented strategic genius of this generation to help you.”

While Colton thought about the enigmatic answer Athena turned and spotted a very confused Kalis standing politely 10 steps away. Widening her eyes Athena spoke under her breath. 

“Well that wasn't supposed to happen.”

—------------

“You, Caligian girl, you are Lieutenant Commander Kalis Savor are you not?”

Kalis was perplexed by the conversation taking place in front of her because she couldn't understand a word of it so when she was suddenly addressed I'm galactic common she jumped. 

“y-yes, who are you?”

“You may call me Athena, you are Captain Bailey Savors older sister correct?”

Kalis was taken aback with the mention of her sister's name despite being older and of a lower rank Kalis has always loved her sister, so she nodded as she answered. 

“Yes I'm the older sister by 3 years.”

The strange girl Athena looked down and muttered something to herself before turning back to Colton. Slowly she approached to right in front of him, stepped up on her tip toes and grasping the sides of the taller man's face she placed her lips on his, giving him a passionate kiss. 

‘What the hell, do they know each other?’

Taken aback Coltons arms hung limply at his sides as the smaller girl pulled him deeper into her kiss. 

‘Why isn't he fighting it, Does he like flat women? Why am I worrying about what a jack ass pirates type is?’ 

Kalis’ face started to feel hot for some reason, she mentally kicked herself for being angry about the turn of events but all thoughts about her own reaction quickly disappeared as something even more unbelievable started happening in front of her. Starting from her feet the girl started to dissolve into motes of light the color of moon beams as they passed through a window at night. 

‘What's going on I've never heard of anything like this.’

As the girl slowly disappeared Kalis felt a cool feeling inside her mind, as if someone was pouring water directly into her brain, the sensation spreading and filling in the corners of her mind st the same rate as the girl evaporated into balls of light. As the girl named Athena completely disappeared the feeling in her mind settled smoothly throughout it. 

[That wasn't supposed to happen either.]

Kalis thought she heard someone as in front of her Colton collapsed to the sand. 

—--------

Colton opened his eyes to see two beautiful moons above him, countless stars winked from behind clouds that drifted across the moons. Beside him he could hear the crackle of a fire, from behind where his head lay he could hear jungle sound, and from the direction of his feet he could hear the gentle sounds of small waves breaking gently against shore. Making sure all 5 senses worked he breathed in and smelled wood smoke and the scent that large bodies of water give off as well as something slightly sweet with a tinge of a garlic edge to it. Next he focused on his sense of touch, the gentle breeze across his face and something….. soft? Bending his neck back to look above and behind him Colton saw two mounds blocking out the stars above.

‘Huh?C-cups?’

Finally everything clicked in his mind. 

“Thigh pillow?”

From above him a face appeared from beyond the mounds in the fire light two hazel eyes peered down at him from a face that couldn't be older than 25, as it leaned forward to look at him beautiful blonde hair fell to the sides creating a curtain that framed the beautiful face. For a moment as Colton looked up at Kalis and she looked down at him he was awestruck by her beauty. 

‘Jesus she's hot.’

“The fuck you mean thigh pillow? I've never taught you either of those words, pirate.”

The last word was spoken with a little venom in her voice but Colton hardly took notice. 

“wait.”

“wait.” 

“I understood you!” “I understood you!”

Their voices overlapped as they both came to the realization that Colton had just spoken galactic common. 

“have you been playing me for a fool this whole time dirtbag? Been getting you jollies laughing at me huh? Get the hell off of me. This is what I get for worrying about a pirate.”

As she spoke Kalis abruptly stood up letting Coltons head thud softly to the sand. 

“Hey woman, that Still hurt!”

“Like I care you bastard.” 

—---------

‘What is with this man?!?!?! Acts like he doesn't understand galactic common then makes out with a strange girl out of nowhere, insufferable son of a bitch.’

[Relax hoe, I gave him the gift of language.] 

“What did you say? You trying to start a fight mother fu-”

[It wasn't Colton, he can't hear me besides he's a pretty good kisser he deserves a break. It's me, Athena I'm in your head for some reason.] 

‘okay I must be going crazy from being stranded for so long, or I'm schizophrenic, or maybe the stress is just getting to me, that must be It.’

[I mean you are crazy but not because you’re hearing me. Your crazy for not jumping on Colton's cock yet, you must be seriously pent up, mans an honest to god time traveler plus not even anywhere around here to flick your bean.] 

“Kalis are you okay?”

Colton had stood up and was looking at her with a look of concern. Kalis decided to chock it up to hearing things because the stress was getting to her. 

“Yeah I'm fine, just wasn't expecting you to suddenly speak to me in my language, how are you doing that by the way? Looking back I'm sure you didn't know how to just a few days ago, don't tell me my lessons were that effective.”

“I honestly have no idea but I can, I just kind of know how to I don't really understand how.”

“Well its late we can leave that for later you should try and get some sleep. You passed out earlier when that girl kissed you.”

Touching his lips Colton nodded. 

“maybe your right we can head back in the morning.”

“sounds good, good night, go the fuck to sleep.”

—-------

Several days had passed since the incident on the beach, it was the final day before the appointed day of rescue so Kalis decided to make her way to the stream which was only about a mile or so from the cave. She hummed a tune to herself as she made her way down the path. 

'I wonder where the pirate is today. He had better not try to escape.' 

Kalis still couldn't figure the man out at all, he didn't seem to have any intention of making good his escape and in all honesty he seemed to be happy to just wait and take things as they come. 

Kalis finally arrived at the stream, However she saw that Colton was already there in the water up to his waist. Blushing she ducked into the bushes but couldn't help but peek at the tanned man washing himself while he sang a song in his native language. Kalis couldn't understand the song but she was entranced by the tune and spaced out as she observed Colton, she took note of the scars on the right side of his body as well as a multi-colored splotch on his left shoulder blade. She squinted to see what it was and could just make out a red white and blue rectangle with a white five pointed star and some letter below it.

'Is that a birthmark? How bizarre.' 

The man before her was well built, not buff but his muscles were well defined for sure like steel wires under his skin. Realizing she was staring she turned her head and started to leave until she saw Coltons clothes hung from a tree nearby and the weapon he used to kill the raze hound and she had returned to him sitting on a rock underneath. She had been agonizing over the object for days, she knew she'd have to get ahold of it somehow before they were rescued, after all a prisoner can't be the one with the weapon right? After confirming he wasn't looking her way Kalis slipped over to the clothes.

'I've always wondered about this material.' 

She felt his denim jeans and was amazed that anyone would wear anything this coarse. Her curiosity satisfied, she bent to pick up the weapon only to have a hand dart out and grab her at the wrist.

"It's not wise to touch someone else's gun."

Kalis turned to find a pair of hard green eyes staring hard into her own hazel eyes. She instinctively lashed out with her right leg attempting to sweep the opponents legs from under him, however Colton just released her arm and took a step back avoiding the leg sweep. The avoidance only served to stoke Kalis' anger as she took up a fighting stance.

She recalled the many self defense lessons she undertook at the Naval academy, not mandatory classes of course, Heaven forbid the officers learn a skill to fight the enemy hand to hand. One of the lessons that her instructor, CPO Polis, often impressed upon her was that as a woman it was necessary to strike first and strike viscously. So that's exactly what Kalis did as she sent a roundhouse kick at Coltons knee. He once again evaded by stepping backwards, but Kalis pressed the attack throwing a left hook rocketing towards the man's jaw. Coltons eyes widened a little but he stepped inside the blow and raised his right arm, placing it in the crook of Kalis' elbow blocking the blow before placing his left hand on her right shoulder, capitalizing on the momentum he gained from stepping in he kicked his left leg up and behind Kalis' legs and brought it back sweeping her legs out from behind. While shoving her from the shoulders Colton threw Kalis to the ground. Kalis, who was now on the ground was outraged, she lashed out with her heel catching Colton in the gut doubling him over retching and in pain. She took this opportunity to scramble to her feet and grabbing the hair on the back of his head launched a knee into Coltons face sending him tumbling backwards into the water with blood streaming from his nose. Victorious she bent down and picked the Weapon up off the rock and pointed it at Colton who was now standing up waist deep in the water holding his bloodied nose.

'I'm pretty sure I saw how he got it to activate, just have to point it and pull this trigger right?'

"Alright Mr. Colton, you're going to answer some questions now. First, who are you really?"

"My name is Colton Greeter.”

“Are you a pirate or part of the military of one of the big groups out there? You said you held rank before.”

Colton nodded his head.

"Yes. I would be 1 grade below you in the U.S. air force."

"Ok and whats the U.S.? And what's the Airforce?”

"The U.S. is the United States of America, the place I'm from, and the Air force was part of the military."

"So you're not a pirate?"

"No."

"I'll believe you but it may not mean anything in a few days."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me, just keep answering. If you don't I'll kill you." 

"I will." 

"Next question, what's that blotch on your back?"

"A tattoo. It's a very important flag to me."

"Is it the U.S. flag?"

"No."

"What's a tattoo?"

"It's a picture made of ink that's engraved into your skin."

"Why would you do that? It sounds painful."

"It is.”

Colton shrugged.

"How did you get those scars and lose your finger?"

Colton Grimaced before his expression turned cold. He pushed himself up on the bank and stood up.

"Answer the question or I WILL SHOOT YOU!"

Colton didn't reply instead he approached Kalis without anything on his face hinting he felt any fear. Naked as the day is long 

"STOP! Put some clothes on first!!”

“It got shot off and then I got blown up, it was a pretty rough day.”

Holding out his hand he answered her question.

“Now give me my gun before you hurt yourself 

Reluctantly Kalis placed the handgun in his hand.

On that note Colton picked up his clothes and left down the path back to the cave. 

Later that night darkness had fallen outside the cave and Kalis and Colton sat in silence around the fire as an animal resembling a small pig roasted on a spit. Kalis asked.

"Is it ready?"

"If it's anything like pork it should be.”

Colton replied.

"so you killed it with those sticks you showed me? What did you call them?"

"Punji spikes."

Colton sighed and looked across the fire at Kalis stuffing her face.

"I'm sorry for the fight. If I live to see next week I'll tell you the story, but for now suffice it to say I got injured due to a mistake."

Kalis swallowed the succulent meat before looking back across the fire at Colton. 

"You don't have to tell me but I promise you that whatever tomorrow brings I'll make sure you get out of this alive."

"I trust you Kalis. Even though you nearly shot me earlier I get where you were coming from.”

"Kali."

"What?"

"Call me Kali."

"I will."

The following morning the 'Huntsmans Arrow' made contact with them giving them the location of where the planetary skiff would pick them up, only about a mile from their cave. As they left the cave both Kalis and Colton turned to look back at what had been their home for a week.

"Back to the real world I guess."

"Whatever the real world is."

"You're not from this time are you?"

"No. What gave it away?"

"A voice in my head."

"Crazy."

"I know. Where or rather when are you from?"

"I was born in 1994 and came here from 2023."

"It's 5323, and your just a little older than I am…. Sans time travel."

"Damn 3300 years?"

"Are you sad? everyone you knew and loved is dead."

"No. I was and I'm sure I will be again but at this moment I'm content."

"How?"

"Im here for a reason."

"What reason?"

“Fate.”

“Whats fate?”

"Don't worry about it, I'll explain one day. Here, take my gun, don't lose it."

After Kalis took the pistol the pair turned and started down the trail towards the LZ. Not long after they heard a low growl from the bushes just off the trail.

"Lieutenant Commander?"

Colton tensed his muscles preparing the run or fight.

"Yeah I hear him."

"We running or fighting it?"

"I say r..."

Kalis was cut off by a rush from the bushes as the Razehound lept out of the bushes and pounced on Colt, hooking one of its terrifying Velociraptor like claws deep into his shoulder.

"THE GUN KALI SHOOT IT."

Kalis fumbled with the gun before finally getting a hold on it and pointing it at the beast, however upon trying to pull the trigger it wouldn't do anything.

"THE SAFETY HIT THE SAFETY!!"

"WHERE'S THE SAFETY?!?!?"

Colton groped around with his free arm looking desprately for anything to save himself from the gnashing teeth. Finding a stick he shoved it sideways wise to the back of the animal's jaws.

SNAP

The Razehound bit the stick in half, Colton floundered for one half of the jagged stick, Finding it he jammed it into the attacking beast's right eye. The wounded animal was in huge amounts of pain and as it flailed about its claw tore its way out of Coltons shoulder causing him to yell in pain. 

Kalis capitalized on the beast's panicked state to kick the stick jammed in its eye, driving it into the poor creature's brain killing it instantly. 

"Agh my fucking shoulder!"

Kalis helped Colton to his feet as they heard more rustling in the bushes around them, prompting them to look at each other before taking off at a dead sprint towards the pick up point. 

"I really hope they're there already."

"They will be if I know my little sister."

Colton felt a little like a fox hearing the Razehounds baying and howling at their heels as they ran. Eventually they broke out of the jungle and into a natural clearing occupied by a large sleek ship and a half dozen gray clad and armed men pulling security.

"HELP I'M KALIS SAVOR, SHOOT THEM, OPEN FIRE!!" 

The men all turned and taking various firing positions opened fire on the approaching enemies with blocky looking rifle-like weapons that shot short orange bursts of what Colton assumed were lasers. Against the encroaching razehounds the laser rifles dismembered and generally turned them to mush, Efficiently putting a stop to the issue. 

"Wow those are some neat guns."

"You haven't seen anything yet."

One of the men approached the exhausted duo. 

"Ma'am, are you LT. Commander Kalis Savor?"

"Yes."

"And this man is the prisoner?"

"Yes. But he isn't a pirate like I thought."

"Your doubt is noted ma'am." 

The man nodded to one of his comrades who rapidly approached Colton and jammed a crackling baton into his neck. Then Coltons went black.

0