A far off task
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Colton was anxious as he boarded a sleek silver craft that was waiting for him outside the hospital. It had been 3 days since he was admitted to the hospital after the beating he had received while in custody of the gendarmerie. Over all his impressions of the medical treatment of the day was fairly high, the guard who's face he'd turned into a hamburger would be released in 2 more days so it was over all a very effective system. 

'Looks like an Italian sports car...…. sorta.'

As the hatch slid open Colton noted that contrary to the exterior the inside was rather bare and unadorned with 3 rows of triple seating as well as 2 forward which he assumed was for the pilot and co-pilot.

'No champagne and caviar on this ride I guess.' 

After taking a seat in the last row on the port side of the craft Colton struggled with the harness until a pair of hands came into view and buckled it for him, looking up he was startled to see Kali standing before him in her khaki uniform, comparatively he was still dressed in his jeans and boots. 

"Let me help with that, it's hard the first few times, to undo it just press this circle here." 

She indicated a softly glowing circle at the center of the harness before taking a seat beside him and strapping herself in. Looking over at him she sighed and asked of no one in particular. 

"It's been an exciting ride hasn't it?" 

Colt nodded before responding 

"You dont know the half of it." 

The Pilot of the craft finished a complex Start up sequence before coming over the intercom

"Alright ma'am, we will be departing for Dartuc to pick up the last of the crew before heading to the shuttle station for the orbital dock in 2 days, you may as well get comfortable this will be about a 3 hour trip. Don't forget to buckle up and thanks for choosing air Travi!" 

Colt couldn't help but think that somethings never changed, looking to his left he caught Kali side eyeing him. 

"Can I help you ma'am?"

Kali shrugged before replying 

"I'm trying to figure out that exact thing now, how can I possibly use someone like you, with no knowledge of modern warfare, no concept of how society works, and let's not forget the millennia of science and technology you've missed out on."

Colt nodded along. 

"Well I wasn't really planning on being a commissioned officer in another nation's armed forces, much less a space empire."

"Republic."

Kali quickly corrected before continuing.

"We are a Republic, not an empire. We are governed by a senate comprised of 4 representatives from each of the 161 occupied planets in our controlled space, totalling 644 representatives."

Colts eyes grew wide before asking 

"And what of other groups? is the Republic the only show in town?"

Kali nodded and explained 

"There's 5 major factions and hundreds if not thousands of smaller factions always vying for power, but the 5 major ones are us, the Polosian Empire, the Kever Federation, The union of Sigarus, and finally the Zona Corp. Our borders touch the Zona and the Polosian, however largely we are on the edge of occupied space, we make up the largest portion of the frontier hence the emphasis on combating piracy. "

Colt rolled his eyes 

'Wonderful'

"So back to the question at hand, what can I do for you?" 

Kali withdrew the disk her sister had given her and opened the file containing everything they knew about Colton. 

"you've said you were part of the military for a nation on the lost world Earth of the Sol system, what exactly did you do?"

After thinking about how to explain it for a moment Colton explained.

"I was a Special Tactics Officer, I was attached to a special ground unit and assisted them and their indigenous counterparts by directing air power. Nothing like space ships mind you, things closer to this ship, smaller, slower, can't leave the atmosphere, but heavily armed." 

"Hmmm how ancient warfare worked Is beyond me. Until such a time as I figure out exactly what to do with you, you will be working for the weapons officer, sound good?"

Colton chuckled

"Better than the ball gag and thigh highs, yes ma'am." 

Kalis cringed at the mental picture before trying to settle in for a nap on the long trip. 

—------

Kalis was running for her life again, howls and snarls accompanied the feeling of SOMETHING evil hot on her heels driving her forward through dense brush.

 'Fuck fuck fuck, I'm going to die please someone help... HELP!'

[Trust us and we will]

Then suddenly she was in the clear, before her stretched a sandy beach and beyond a green hued ocean, something about the color was supremely calming and soothing to her. 

'I know that color.' 

Before she could place where she had seen the color she awoke with a start, the nightmare fading quickly.

 The ship had stopped and the pilot was going through the shutdown sequence outside a hotel near the shuttle port in the metropolitan sprawl of Dartuc. Large snow flakes fell silently in the brightly lit night as kali gazed out the window. The primary economic zone of Rolinsk, Dartuc was a veritable gem on the tundra. Huge markets and entertainment districs were ringed by shipping hubs and warehouse districts on the outskirts of the city servicing the primary shuttle port in the southern hemisphere of the planet, it's glittering lights and diverse architecture stood in stark contrast to the drab grey and militaristic planetary capital of Rolinsk, Rolinsk City. 

The Pilot came over the intercom once again. 

"This is the place ma'am, most of the officers are already here with the exception of those assisting with getting the ship ready in orbit."

As the door opened and Kalis and Colton disembarked she thanked the pilot before stepping out into the fridgid wind. 

Colton was overwhelmed by the sights and sounds around him. Open air stalls lined the street selling everything from exotic meats to clothing and even electronics, the smell of food assaulted his nose as he realized he hadn't eaten all day. Kalis glanced at her bewildered companion and gestured towards the doors of the high end hotel on the bustling street. 

"After you Ensign."

Colton cringed before opening the door for her. 

"Where I come from its ladies first." 

Kalis blinked before shrugging and entering the warm lobby, tossing a remark over her shoulder as she passed. 

"I'm not letting you out of my sight in here, but tomorrow we will go out and let you check out the sights." 

Colt just grunted before following her inside a lobby that he could only describe as being grandiose. 

'Cold bleak winter hellscape outside, nice and cozy inside.'

The interior was filled with warm, wood accents and even had what appeared to be large fireplaces here and there with sitting areas arranged around each one where guests, some in uniforms some not, sat and talked while drinking from mugs and reading from the data disks that he had seen people use in place of laptops, tablets, papers or any other forms of written media from his time. 

'I wonder if the media is still as fucked as it was back in my day'

"Commander, I have some questions, I'd like to get caught up on how things are in this ti-"

Kalis cut him off with a wave of her hand.

"We won't speak of that here, the Admiral is hiding your history. Why I have no clue, but I also don't care, you should count yourself lucky you're still alive. I will answer all your questions in due time."

She was about to check in at the desk when a young woman in the uniform of the 528th quickly approached a look of dread on her face.

"Commander Savor?"

"Yes?"

"Lieutenant Junior grade Yima ma'am, I'm to be your engineering officer. I've set up a meeting with the rest of the crew but we have a situation ma'am. MCPO Polis, the Chief of the 'Silver Lining' was involved in a fight at a local bar and is currently in custody, the provost Marshall has asked that you come immediately."

"Thank you Lieutenant. I know Master chief polis, i'll take care of it."

Motioning for Colton, Kalis followed Lieutenant Yima out the doors again and to a waiting craft. Piling in they sped above the busy streets thronged with shoppers and night time revelers before stopping outside a multistory building with the coral and azure flags of the Caligian empire hanging from the roof flanking the door. 

Pushing through the door Kalis approached the Gendarme at the front desk and presented a data disk containing her credentials.

"I'm Commander Savor here in regards to Master chief Polis, I was told the provost Marshall wishes to see me." 

The bored looking man behind the desk gave her credentials a cursory scan before motioning her to an office door. Turning to Colton and Lieutenant Yima she asked.

"Can you take my people to see him?" 

The gendarme shrugged then nodded and lead the way through a series of security doors before entering a long hallway reminiscent of a county lock up but instead of steel doors or bars the cells were covered by a translucent energy field. Stopping before one of the cells he pressed a button and the field dissipated to reveal a grizzled hangdog looking man who appeared to be in his mid 40's with salt and pepper hair in the same shackles they had used to restrain Colton.

Colton stepped inside followed by the Lieutenant, The guard stepped to the end of the hall in the direction they had come after a hard look from Colt. 

"Master Chief Petty officer Polis?"

The Chief took in the crisply uniformed Lieutenant and the strangely dressed newcomer before replying with a note of suspicion.

"I am, and she's Lieutenant Yima, but I don't know you, you some sort of spook or something?"

Coltons shoulders sagged before replying. 

"No, I'm a new Ensign on the 'Silver Lining' my name is Colton Greeter. Can you explain to me what happened?" 

"Aye sir, I was following up on a report that some of our boys got hemmed up by some local thugs a few nights ago, the fun police busted in and interrupted my interrogation." 

Colton nodded smiling. 

'I'm glad good NCOs still exist.' 

"Well Chief once the commander gets you out of this you can explain more, I may be new but if there's someone out there fucking with our guys I guarantee she won't take it laying down so stand by for now." 

The Chief sighed before replying 

"I hate the idea of standing by."

"Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die." 

The older man perked up at that before extending his hand.

"Ensign, I think we will get along fine.”

After Commander Kalis secured MCPO Polis' release the 4 returned to the hotel. Lieutenant Yima had called ahead and the planet side officers had gathered In a conference room around a long table, most sitting in chairs while some stood around and talked. As Colton took a seat Kalis strode to the front of the room the talking had yet to die down and few noticed anyone had even entered the room.

"AHEM!"

Still no one noticed, MCPO Polis then stood up beside the Commander and with much authority in his voice said.

"LISTEN UP!"

Immediately all eyes turned to the SNCO before redirecting to the young officer beside him. 

"Thank you chief, my name is Commander Savor, moving forward I will be your commanding officer aboard the heavy cruiser 'Silver Lining', in a moment we will go around the room and introduce ourselves, but first I'd like to get this out of the way. I know as far as age and experience goes I'm a little behind some of you, however I am your superior, as such I expect every one of you to behave with proper military bearing at all times, of course I will be relying on each of your expertise and experience to accomplish our mission. Respect is earned not given and doesn't automatically come with rank, I understand this as do all of you, So for the time being I expect you to fake it, eventually I will earn it until then I will treat you all with respect and I expect you to do the same in return. Now for introductions."

She gestured towards MCPO Polis. 

"I am Master Chief Petty Officer Polis, I am the Chief of ship aboard the 'Silver Lining' and I look forward to working with a group of such refined officers such as yourselves."

Second was a man in his late 20s or early 30s with red hair and freckles.

"I am Lieutenant Commander Lorite, I am XO, nice to meet you all."

Third was a girl in her mid 20s with dark brown eyes and hair.

"I am Lieutenant Trita the intel officer" 

Next was an absolute mountain of a man with close cropped hair wearing a muted brown uniform instead of the tan everyone else wore.

"I am Captain Welitz, I lead the Marine contingent."

and so on as everyone introduced themselves, Lieutenant Commander Zoras the flight lead for the small attachment of intercept craft aboard the 'Silver Lining', Lieutenant Junior grade Reton the Nav officer, Lieutenant Lufkin the weapons officer, and finally Ensign Alrot the comms officer. 

Upon hearing Zoras's job Colton's ears pricked up and he lost himself in thought. 

'I wonder if the craft is capable of flying within the atmosphere...' 

Finally everyone had introduced themselves except for Colton, MCPO Polis subtly kicked his chair to get his attention, as he shot to his feet he almost went to attention stopping before realizing the words were escaping his mouth.

"I'm Cap.... I'm an Ensign Greeter, nice to meet you all." 

After he took his seat again Commander Kalis dismissed those gathered with the exception of Colton and Polis. 

"Chief, I need a full rundown on what happened."

"Ma'am, I received word that members of our crew had been attacked by some local thugs after arriving in the city. The authorities either could not or would not give any information and did not apprehend the suspects, at this point I took it upon myself to find those responsible and present that information to higher. I talked to some regulars at the establishment where the incident took place and they pointed me to some shady individuals who frequented the place, when I tried to talk to these individuals a fight broke out and the Gendarmerie were on us before things got too wild."

Kalis nodded and was about to speak before Polis continued. 

"Ma'am they were Yera syndicate, They all had notched ears."

Kalis just sighed before replying.

"If they were Yera they would probably shake the place down for protection and already have half the force on their payroll, how bad did they get our boys?"

"Pretty bad Ma'am, two are expected to recover by next week, and the third is in a coma but they expect him to pull through, all 3 will need significant reconstructive work done."

Kalis scowled and Colton saw a look of barely contained rage pass through her eyes. 

'Hell hath no fury like a Commander who's men got jumped I guess.'

Turning to Colton and barely restraining her voice she said. 

"Ensign, you and the Master Chief have until tomorrow night to run these men to ground, The Yera are a gang of miscreants who dabble in everything from loan sharking to human trafficking and as such they fall under our jurisdiction. Once you find them the two of you are to contact me and I will dispatch Captain Welitz and his men to assist you in handling the situation. You will be operating with the full authority of the 528th, I leave how you do it to the two of you."

Kali pulled a data disk out of her pocket and handed it to Colton. After he took it she also gave him something wrapped in a piece of cloth.

"This is your Identification disk, it also stores your credits to use in transactions. There are 3000 loaded on it now, I trust you know what the other is. Dismissed!"

Kali turned on her heel and left the room leaving the two men to uphold the honor of the 528th and of the 'Silver Lining'.

Taking a seat at the table Colton put his boots up and leaned his chair back. 

"Well Chief, how do you wanna handle this?" 

The Chief grinned like the Cheshire cat. 

"As messy as possible. Outside of that I like to leave the planning to you officer types."

Colt nodded, then sarcastically drawled.

"As well you should mah good sah, for we are possessed of a higher natural intellectual capacity than you experienced NCO's." 

Straightening his chair Colton stood and removed the pistol and holster from the cloth and placed them in their proper locations. 

"Alright Chief, where is this bar?”

Leaving the pair boarded a craft outside, Polis went forward and spoke to the pilot before calling over his shoulder.

"Sir, do you need to make any stops before we start to work? The commander has placed this craft and Mr. Travi under our control until this is over."

Colton thought before replying.

"I could use a warm coat, I'm from a nomadic tribe on a warm planet so I'm not up to speed on the economic situation or the cold of this place, how much should something like that cost?"

On the ride to Dartuc Kalis had went over the cover the Admiral had supplied for Colton. 

"About 600 credits. Mr. Travi will take us to a shopping center in the same district as the bar."

The ride only took about 5 minutes and the craft stopped outside an open air market.

'I see the root of all evil reigns supreme. Good old glorious capitalism.’

Entering the market Polis indicated a few stalls.

"Take your pick Sir." 

Colton began to look at the clothing on display, as far as coats went they ranged greatly in terms of style and material used. Finally he selected one made from the dense fur of some native creature that from Polis' description reminded him of a bear. It fit perfectly and fell just at his belt line like he liked costing him 750 credits. They explored the market for a few more minutes until Colton spied a small fixed blade knife with a clip point blade approximately 4 inches in length for 1000 credits, as he inspected it the material seemed to have an incredibly light blue hue to it. 

"Sir, don't you have a MK. 6 survival knife? They're standard issue after all, and I've been meaning to ask, but why aren't you in uniform?"

"There was a mix up with my belongings, they should already be aboard the ship."

Colton covered quickly as he paid for the knife and slipped the horizontal Sheath onto the back of his belt. 

"Let's get down to business, Chief."

After boarding the craft they shortly arrived at the bar. The interior reminded Colton of bars he'd seen in Mexico in his misguided youth, shabby and full of shady men. Booths lined one wall with tables down the center and the bar along the opposite wall from the booths. The bartender was in the process of pouring a drink but stopped to give Polis a wary look before continuing with his work, deciding it was best not to start any beef with the 528th. Polis indicated a booth towards the back with four occupants three men and a woman all dressed in expensive looking clothes which struck Colton as incongruous with the run down establishment. 

"That's them, how do you want to handle this? We can tail them or try to capture one of them and get the info that way."

Colton thought for a moment, recalling his past life and a similar situation he'd encountered while in southeast Asia. 

"No, I've got a better idea. Follow my lead Chief, just remember to leave one standing."

Again Polis flashed his Cheshire cat grin and followed Colton as he strode up to the booth keeping a table between himself and the miscreants, none of the occupants took notice of the pair as Colton closed his hands around the back of a chair.

"I hear some shit bag pussies about this area like to sell women into hell? Not only that but this scum made the mistake of picking a fight with the crew of the 'Silver Lining'. I don't reckon any of you fine personages happen to know anything about that do you?" 

This made the 2 on the ends of the U shaped booth a man and the only female jump to their feet but before they could do anything more Colton kicked the table so it slid corner first into the man's groin causing him to howl in pain and bent over the Table. Before the woman could react he picked up the chair and smashed it against her with all his might throwing her onto the table they had just been drinking on. Unsheathing the knife in the same motion Colton drove it to the hilt into the back of the man's neck who had caught the table to the jewels, he immediately went limp and fell to the floor never to move again. 

The remaining 2 men were thrown into chaos as they tried to get out of the booth amid the flailing arms and legs of the woman trying to get herself off the table. Polis stood at the only exit to the booth, the other end was still blocked by the table as the first man scrambled out the NCO launched a teep kick to the man's chest that threw him back into the seat. By this point the woman had rolled her way off the table and was regaining her feet when Colt stomped his foot against the side of her knee causing an audible snap followed by her screams of pain. Polis had halfway entered the booth with the 2 trapped men and was smashing the head of the man he had kicked against the table, the other table and the fight continued to trap the last man in the booth but he had pulled a knife from some fold of clothing as he thrust it towards Polis from the other side of the man whose face was beginning to bleed from the repeated smashing against the table. Grabbing the wrist behind the knife Polis jerked and twisted the mans arm hard with his free hand causing the weapon to drop to the table, the Chief picked it up and plunged it into the chest of the man trapped between them and torqued the blade to and fro as blood poured from the lethal wound then withdrawing the blade and holding it tip up on the table and smashed the man's head down on it. Back on Coltons side he grabbed the woman's hair and wrenched her to face the corner of the table opposite the one that had plowed into the first man's meat and two veg, releasing his hold on her hair he drove his knee into the back of her head, smashing her mouth first into the corner making her mouth a bloody mess as she screamed before the pain finally caused her to pass out. 

The final trapped man, Antony Rhewa was trembling, never before had he witnessed something so violent as what the two men before him had unleashed upon him and his compatriots in the course of less than 20 seconds. 

'Whatthefuck whatthefuck whatthefuck, I don't want to die, not like this, not right now.' 

Before that night Antony had been the leader of his crew, now he watched as two men killed Cooper and Mikael, poor Andrea was a bloody mess groaning on the floor. His crew was tasked with finding young women and girls that fit a certain "Type" his bosses with the Yera specified on a weekly basis while keeping the protection rackets in the district running. 

Now as Antony gazed fearfully at the two monsters before him he wondered if he would be alive in the next few minutes. The younger man who had killed Cooper pulled his knife out of the criminal's neck and turned his attention to Antony pointing the gleamed tip towards him. 

"You, my lucky friend Will get to live, but on one condition. Go directly to your bosses and tell them what you witnessed today, tell them that the 528th is not to be trifled with, do you understand?"

Antony nodded as he felt his bladder empty. 

"Ah but I can't just let you off the hook can I? Let him up Chief."

The older man got up and pulled Mikaels limp body out of booth freeing Antony, but as the thug tried to stand his knees gave out and he collapsed to the floor, he could feel his socks become damp. 

"Stand him up Chief." 

The old man hauled Antony to his feet and steadied him. The younger man approached with the blade still pointed at him. 

"The Yera notch their ears as an initiation correct, Chief?"

The old man replied.

"Yes sir."

The younger man grabbed the gangster by the ear and with one motion severed it, he then placed it in Antonys shirt pocket and patted it before saying in a voice devoid of any pity. 

"Now go, before I start removing other body parts." 

The old man shoved Antony towards the door, gaining his footing and covering the bloody hole on the side of his head Antony stumbled out into the cold night air. 

Back in the bar Colton bent and wiped the knife on the woman's shirt before returning it to the Sheath and saying to Polis. 

"Tell Travi to follow the man with the hearing problem."

"Aye sir.”

—---

Back at the hotel Kalis sat in the conference room with Captain Welitz, Lieutenant Commander Lorite, 3 marines, and Admiral Fort who had traveled to Dartuc for the departure of 'Silver Lining'. Surrounding the group was a impromptu TOC or Tactical Operations Center, monitors glowed with footage being transmitted from a camera forward mounted on Chief Warrant Officer 2 Travi's sleek TATT- 115 craft as he followed the bleeding man stumbling through the streets heading west from high above

Several technical naval crewman sat in chairs behind the displays monitoring everything from the local Gendarmerie frequencies responding to the deadly fight at the bar, to the comms between Mr. Travi and the two men who caused the carnage 10 minutes prior as they moved through the midnight crowds on the shopping street. Finally the screen showed the man stop and look both ways up and down the street outside the nondescript door to a warehouse turned nightclub before entering. 

Admiral Fort spoke without taking his eyes off the screen.

"Commander I must say I didn't expect you to show results so soon after your appointment. I'm glad I assigned Polis to your crew, I'm sure you read his file and know he was a Special Operations Ground crewman before asking for a transfer to the fleet and I'm sure you know the background of your former captive Ensign Greeter, i cant speak for Polis but As for Greeter goes use him at your discretion until such a time as I can figure out what to do with him."

[Oh bet your wrinkly balls we will old man]

‘If I'm not going crazy, and you aren't just an alternate personality or something, we are going to have a conversation later.’

[Sounds good to me sugar tits.]

Kalis grimaced at the reappearance of the voice in her mind. Only dwelling on if she was going insane or not for a moment she began issuing orders. 

"I will sir. Captain Welitz get your men ready you will rendezvous with the forward team and raid the objective building as soon as you are ready. Mr. Travi will remain on station for surveillance. 

Captain Welitz nodded before addressing his men. 

"Alright gentlemen get your shit ready and let's get to it."

A chorus of "Yes sir"s resounded. 

—----

Colton and Polis idled at a street stall with outdoor seating selling some form of meat skewers near the warehouse entrance. Polis withdrew what looked to Colton to be a small set of earbuds and a container with a pair of contact lenses from his pocket and placed it on the table. 

"Put these on the earpieces will allow communications with the marines once they get here in addition to keeping you from going deaf and the Ocular Enhancement Lenses will give you low light vision capabilities as well as highlight friendly personnel, once you register your biometrics it'll keep you from getting blue on blued. The OELs aren't as effective as the marines combat glasses they won't protect you from bright flashes like the Flash devices they employ so if they throw one shut your eyes and look away if you like your retinas."

Putting the earpieces in his ears and the OELs in his eyes Colton blinked rapidly and saw a floating display. 

//Register a new user? yes. no//

"How do I make a selection?"

Polis raised his hand to summon the stall owner before answering.

"Just look at what you want and focus on it, it uses your neural signals to work." 

Colton focused on the yes option. 

//Registering user Greeter, Colton M., Ensign, 'Silver Lining', 528th Special fleet..... Registration successful... Activating TACTICAL DISPLAY.... TD activated.... Pair with COCHLEAR LINK? Yes. No.//

As Polis ordered skewers and drinks for both of them Colton focused on the yes option. 

//CL paired... Comms linked. Welcome Ensign.// 

Colton suddenly saw light purple floating displays before his eyes 'I guess it's like AR from my time. huh' Colton could see a translucent rotating model of the planet in the lower right corner of his vision with a dot over Dartuc , along the top middle he could see a compass with what appeared to be coordinates to the right beside it. Along the left middle edge he could see a list of names and ranks with pictures and vital signs as well as distances. Reading the names Colton assumed it was the inbound Marine assault team.

Capt. Welitz, Adam F 

1st Lt. West, Thomas A

SSGT. Gerhard, Kenneth R

CPL. Kelly, Richard T

LCPL. Polis, James C

PFC. Nguyen, Duc A

PVT. Von, Christopher S

PVT. Ritz, Royce H

Looking at the names Colton looked up at the Chief. 

"Any relation to the Lance Corporal on the assault team?" 

The older man nodded before replying somewhat hesitantly.

"He's my son, his mother and I split when he was a baby. She couldn't take the constant torment of me being away, at the time I was with special operations and spent more time hunting the scum of the universe than I did at home. One day when I got home from a short notice deployment the house was empty except for a note saying she couldn't wait for me to die or get hurt and had taken James and moved off planet. James was almost 2 at the time, I looked but didn't hear anything else from them for almost 17 years. Then out of the blue I get a message from him saying he enlisted with the Marines after his mother passed. I guess he got assigned to the 528th."

 A look of profound pain and sadness passed the SNCOs face before he continued as the food and drinks arrived. 

"But I guess you know how it goes, with how you handled yourself back there I'm guessing you were a SOGC once upon a time." 

Colton didn't reply for a moment, taking a sip of the drink that tasted remarkably similar to ginger ale before saying. 

"No, I guess I grew up fighting though. is this alcohol?" 

Polis let out a low laugh. 

"Oh that's right, A tribal. No it's non-alcoholic, it's soda, we're working remember?" 

Coltons CL squelched and he could hear the familiar comforting voice of Commander Savor. 

"The marines are 2 Mike's out, they will land down the block so you can get equipment without raising the alarm. How are things on the ground Ensign?"

Colton thought back on what Polis said and the days spent stranded with Kalis. 

"Good to hear your voice Kal.... Commander. We are good to go here, I got the OELs set up."

Kalis' voice replied in his ears. 

"I know they can be disorienting at first but you will get used to them. I will mark the LZ, Stay on your toes once you get in there."

"I will ma'am." 

The pair finished eating their skewers and downed their drinks before rising and starting towards the floating mark only they could see. 

As they arrived at the marked location, A deserted lot 300 yards down the busy street, the marine transport landed and 8 men in plain clothes disembarked. Under their winter coats Colton could see what looked to be chest rigs and battle belts with holstered pistols. A panel on the transport slid open and Colton saw an assortment of small arms and other equipment, his TD highlighted each weapon as he focused on each an info panel appeared beside it he selected a weapon roughly the length of his forearm with its stock collapsed with a magazine protruding from the pistol grip the info panel told him it was a MK460 PDW a 25 caliber magnetically operated personal defense weapon that utilized a 40 round box magazine and an optical sight with optional OEL TD compatibility. The short weapon had a collapsible stock and a single point sling and after Colton picked it up and registered his biometrics, he saw to his amazement an actual holographic sight appear from the top of the weapon consisting of a traditional red dot. Seeing this he opted not to link it to his TD. 

'Better stick to what I know' 

Along with the MK460 Colton withdrew a chest rig and battle belt, unlike the LBE of his time, these utilized magnetics to keep the equipment stuck to the small rig and belt. After donning the LBE he attached 6 of the slightly curved magazines for the MK460 as well as 2 of what the TD told him was the Flash devices. Removing a projectile from one of the mags he looked at the info displayed noting it was 150 grains of tungsten carbide and it looked like a short spike with a hollow point at one end. 

'Nasty little fuckers. Guess the temporary vs permanent wound debate finally got settled'  

Colton thought bitterly. He was a fan of the 45 caliber which was a large slow moving brick of a round which transfered a large amount of energy on targets and caused a huge permanent wound cavity. smaller faster rounds transfered less energy and created a smaller permanent wound cavity however create a much larger temporary wound cavity which resulted from the velocity causing something called cavitation. 

After looping the sling Over his head and tucking the PDW under his coat he attached the knife he had bought earlier to the chest rig where he could easily reach it with his right hand and buttoned the jacket up to cover his equipment before nodding to Polis. 

looking around Colton saw that the Chief who had changed into warm plain clothes took a pdw as well and all but 2 of the marines had selected what the TD told him was called a mk385K Assualt rifle a shortened version of the magnetically fired 40 caliber standard issue weapon with its magazine that sat flush along the top of the handguard and collapsible stock it looked sleek and deadly, these too had the same style of sight as the pdw. One of the remaining marines, LCPL Polis had the same rifle but with what looked to be an underslung grenade launcher. The final Marine PFC Nguyen had a massive rifle with an attached physical scope that the TD named the MK660 SWS which was a 70 caliber magnetically operated sniper rifle firing massive 2000 grain depleted uranium core tungsten alloy rounds with a powerful state of the art scope. Coltons jaw dropped when he saw the specs of the weapon and scope using magnetic imagery the optic could see through walls up to 500 yards away and the round could most definitely punch through most anything to touch its target more than a mile away, it was closer to a shoulder fired artillery peice than anything else. 

Chief Polis was standing to the side talking to Capt. Welitz when Colton approached both of the older men nodded to him and Welitz contacted the TOC over the comm link. 

"Ma'am we are set to move in, the Chief and I have decided on a plan of action. My men will split into 2 three man teams with a 2 man overwatch stationed in the building across the street. one team lead by Lieutenant west will take the transport and disembark on the roof while the other team lead by myself will enter through the old loading bays around back, The Chief and the Ensign will take a low viz approach and enter through the front door. Is the camera uplink from Mr. Travi ready?"

"Affirm Captain, the feed is ready whenever your ready to access it with your glasses. We will cut power to the club whenever you give the word. Good luck."

Then they heard Admiral Forts voice. 

"Men we believe this club to be the regional headquarters for the Yera, expect heavy resistance once inside, That being said collateral damage is unacceptable. Do you understand?"

All the men acknowledged with a "Yes sir". 

"Good luck to you all." 

As the two naval personnel made their way down the street Colton saw the list of marines had been relabeled.

Capt. Welitz alpha 1

1st Lt. West Bravo 1

SSGT. Gerhard Bravo 2

CPL. Kelly alpha 2 

LCPL. Polis, Bravo 3

PFC. Nguyen Sierra 1

PVT. Von Sierra 2 

PVT. Ritz Alpha 3

MCPO Polis November 2

Ensign Greeter November 1 

Approaching the front door Colton looked up and saw the silent shadow of the transport glide over the building, a moment later he heard Bravo team say they were in position, followed by alpha, and finally Sierra. Colton checked in.

"November is in position, making entry now, wait for our word to make entry, TOC standby to cut power."

"November 1, this is Alpha 1, do you have the overhead feed?" 

Colton navigated through the menu on his TD selecting the feed from Travi's craft hovering high above, he set the image in the upper right side of the display and noticing the option to have the feed from the overwatch teams optics he put them right below. He selected a white-hot infrared view for the surveillance platform and the magnetic imagery from Nguyen's scope which after enlarging showed a mass of bodies surging together rhythmically on the second floor and a group of 5 on the 3rd all with glowing weapons. On the 4th 3 figures stood as if working, below on the 1st floor was 6 bodies moved about and 3 people sitting or crouched near one wall.

"Sierra 1, have that cannon of yours trained on the third floor. November is making entry.”

As he opened the door Colton saw a set of stairs leading to the second floor and what he assumed to be the main club, to his left was a door that lead to the old storage area. Colton and the Chief took the stairs up to the entry of what could be a club from his own time complete with a muscle bound bouncer. Flashing their id disks and paying the cover fee they passed through the door while being assaulted by loud electronic beats. A massive throng of undulating revealers were bouncing and jumping in rhythm with the music coming from an elevated stage occupied by massive speakers and a DJ, Colton and Polis pushed through the crowd which was highlighted blue in the TD. Searching the two saw a door behind and to the left of the DJ, hoping he could be heard Colton said. 

"TOC we have only one door on this floor, it must lead to the next level, go ahead and cut power. All elements execute."

The next moment the building was plunged into darkness and silence before someone from the crowd screamed and there was a rush for the red glowing exit, as Colton and Polis pressed themselves against one wall to avoid being trampled by the stampede of humanity. They quickly unbuttoned their coats as the last of the partiers pushed out the exit, raising their weapons they could clearly see their sights utilizing the OELs as well as the rest of the room. To Colton, who was expecting the grainy green view from the NODs he was accustomed to, the room merely looked slightly dim. 

"November this is Sierra 1 I have 4 contacts moving down the stairs to your level. I think they smoked the 5th."

'That must have been the one we followed.'

Muffled Cracks that could only be the sound of the projectiles the weapons fired breaking the sound barrier could be heard from above and below as the door they had observed burst open and 3 men spread out into a wedge formation covering the room. 

'Be patient we can see them, they can't see us.'

Colton centered the dot on the upper chest of the man in the middle as the man on the right was highlighted yellow in the TD indicating Polis had him covered. 

Whispering Colton said.

"Sierra 1 take the contact on the left, wait for our shot."

The man on the left glowed yellow as another man entered the room at the rear of the group, Colton caressed the PDWs trigger and exhaled before squeezing. There was almost no recoil and what sounded like the crackle of a fire as his CLs dampened the sound of the 5 rounds that ripped through the center mans sternum and tracked up to the base of his throat, a mist of blood erupted from his chest as he fell, followed by what sounded like thunder as a chunk of the wall was was torn away to Coltons left when the massive round from the mk660 punched through the building and virtually blew the man on the left in two. Polis, having already left a single neat hole in the forehead of the bad guy on the right, transitioned to the final man and shot him in the left knee causing him to collapse to the ground crying out in pain. 

"All elements, November 1 2nd floor is clear 3 contacts down hard 1 wounded, moving to 3rd floor."

"Bravo 1, 4th floor is clear we have what looks like a drug lab up here."

"Alpha 1, 1st floor clear, November 1 your going to want to see this..."

"Copy, Any wounded?"

"Alpha 3 tripped on entry, I think his ankle is broke." 

Colton looked over at Polis and shook his head, Polis just shrugged and gave his usual grin.

"Amateurs." 

Colton lowered his weapon. 

"Sierra team watch the front door to make sure we don't get any visitors. Bravo move to the 3rd floor, Alpha I'm moving to you, November 2 will secure the wounded contact and link up with bravo."

Exiting through the door he entered through Colton took the stairs 2 at a time to the 1st floor and passing Alpha 3 who was watching the front door while sitting on the stairs, he entered the old warehouse storage area. The room was huge by the standards of what Colton considered when he thought of warehouses, Cpl. Kelly was crouched watching the rear loading bay door while Capt. Welitz was standing before a row of cages with 2 women in their mid 20s and a young girl of 6 or 7 cowering inside all caked in blood and dirt and covered in bruises with only ratty clothes hiding their guant bodies. corpses littered the floor here and there and Colton stepped over them as he moved to stand beside the marine officer. 

"Jesus christ."

Welitz looked at Colton curiously.

"What?"

"Don't worry about it. I'm glad these sick fucks are gone, I just wish they suffered more. Get these cages open, get them out of there and up to the roof. They will come out with us. let's get this wrapped up and get out of here before the local Gendarmerie show up." 

"Alpha, Bravo, and November get everyone to the roof, Sierra get the the roof of your building we will pick you up on the way out."

Leaving the room Colton fought to steady himself before mounting the stairs and crossing the room to the stairwell up to the 3rd floor which turned out to be dominated by an office that had been searched by Bravo team who recorded everything that could be of importance and threw all storage devices and data disks into bags which they hauled up to the roof. Left on the floor was the survivor from the bar, face down on a clear tarp, his throat cut. 

'Serves you right fucker.'

The 4th floor was a large clean room with tables holding lab equipment, blood spattered everywhere and 3 bodies littered the floor from where Bravo team swept through like the grim reapers scythe. Moving past all of this Colton arrived on the roof passing Bravo 3 who was holding security on the door, The transport craft the Marines had arrived in was sitting on the roof with its side and rear ramps down exposing the red illuminated seats inside. Chief Polis had already loaded the survivor who was manacled and wearing one of the sensory deprivation devices, Colton boarded the craft as Alpha team made their way onto the roof and into the craft followed by the freed girls before Bravo peeled back and boarded. Once everyone was aboard the ramps raised and the lights inside switched from subdued red to florescent white light. The craft lifted off and touched down a second later across the street where Sierra team boarded and once again they were in the air headed to the hotel. 

-

Kalis and Admiral Fort were waiting when the transport craft landed near the hotel, Colton stepped down the ramp and nodded to the two. 

"Well how's that for a first day?" 

The admiral laughed heartily before replying. 

"You did a fine job son, a fine job. The man you captured is the Capo for the Yera here on Rolinsk, George Hereta, he has a bounty of 450,000 credits on his head. The intel boys are working to identify those that didn't make it out of the bar and the club, once we get a total amount we will divide it out among the men who took part in the raid. Until then Commander Kalis and I have been discussing how best to put your talents to use, walk with us."

Raising his voice to be heard the Admiral continued. 

"Master Chief Polis if you'll join us."

After Polis jogged to catch up the 4 turned and started towards the hotel. Kalis seemed deep in thought as they walked and it was again the Admiral who broke the silence. 

"Chief you are going to be read in on something that while isn't technically classified I trust you not to reveal, because no one outside the 4 of us and one other knows. Ensign Greeter isn't a tribal, he is a time traveler, we don't know how or why he came to this time."

Polis looked sharply at the man he had just been fighting alongside as the Admiral continued. 

"I used some connections to establish a false identity and a legitimate commission for that false identity. Ensign I must ask that you be completely open with us regarding your history as we have a plan for your future here in the present. You've shared some of it with Commander Savor but to ensure the plan we have is something that can work please expand on what you shared previously."

Colton thought for a moment before replying somewhat hesitantly. 

"As I told the commander, I was a Special Tactics Officer with the United States Airforce attached to an army unit whose task was to train the forces of other nations on earth to combat terrorism, drug trafficking, and the like. My specific job was to coordinate air assets but I was trained to lead, train, and facilitate airforce operators called Joint Terminal Air Controllers or jtacs and special reconnaissance operators who went into enemy territory to gather weather and topographical intelligence. I was pulled off that assignment to be attached to the army unit, called an operational detachment alpha or ODA. I was medical retired after an operation went sideways and most of our unit was wiped out and I was wounded due to friendly fire."

Admiral Fort grunted then asked. 

"So you were a special operations combat leader correct?"

"Yes but I wasn't the leader of the ODA team. The leader was a man named Captain Krause and although we were the same pay grade he was in charge of leading the team, I just controlled the air assets."

Admiral Fort stopped and turned. 

"What was the pay grade you held?"

"I was an O3 or Captain, the same as Welitz or Lieutenant Trita, the intel officer aboard 'Silver Lining'. It's usually enlisted men who are attached to ODAs but It's not unheard of for officers to fill the role."

The group continued and passed through the door of the hotel and made their way to the conference room which had been cleared out after the successful raid, and each took seats around the table. Admiral Fort continued from the head of the table.

"I'll cut right to point, the Yera are getting out of hand. They had the audacity to set up shop here on Rolinsk the stronghold of the 528th, which is a bold move to say the least and leads me to beleive they are growing to big for their breeches. I'm not one to let something like this slide, so I'm going to assign the 'Silver Lining' the mission of tracking down and dismantling the organization wherever they can be found. We don't have anything similar to your old unit on earth, but we do have something called Special Operations Ground Crews or SOGC. I didn't have a reason to assign one to the 'Silver Lining' but I would like you to stand one up with the assistance of Master Chief Polis. You will answer only to Commander Savor and myself but otherwise you will have full autonomy to do what you need to root out these dirt bags and the corruption that accompanies them wherever they go. You will be given the authority to recruit from the personnel assigned to the ship both navy and marines, as well as a host of qualified personnel whos files I will have sent to your comms disk. It'll be up to you to train them, but a full load of equipment will be loaded aboard 'Silver Lining' Before it departs. You have until the departure day the day after tomorrow to select from the men assigned to the ship so we can transfer in replacements, and any others will be sent to the ship or will meet you when the ship next docks. In short you will combat the Yera planetside and Commander Savor will fight them in space. Is this something you can do, or do I need to get the ball gag?"

Colton stiffened in his seat at the mention of what was apparently the Admirals favorite threat. 

"Yes sir I can."

"Good man, I'll await your selections. Dismissed.”

0