Chapter 7: Drops & Ripples [Illustrated]
46 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Beautifully she dances, little the water ripples, her light step, her elegant form. Feathers made out of mana dance along her and the wind. It was a bright and lovely day. Swiftly, she strikes, light fractures, and the blade seeps through the air. That’s my cute little sister for you.

 “Ame,” a voice called out to the dancing girl.

 Her eyes shifted from elegant and focused to soft and warm. Her purple crystal-like eyes, much like her mana, were vibrant and intense. Silky, yet it softly fluttered in the air. She turned her attention to the familiar voice and stopped what she was doing.

 “Huh, Sis? Why are you here?” the girl calmly asked.

 “Kei asked me to get you. And, well… I was free.”

 “O-Oh…Umm… Am I late…?”

 Her body became jittery; she tapped her hair accessory and noticed the time. She looked up at the sky. It was still bright, and the calm winds, along the tall yet flora-rich mountains, the lake which was crystal clear—their beauty made one overlook the span of time. 

 With a shrug, the girl’s sister answered, “A little.” She grinned and stepped into the lake. Gently and skilfully, she—as if levitating, started to walk on the soft water surface. The ripples were gentle, and there was no sign of breaking the surface tension.

 Upon hearing her sister's words, the girl's shoulder tensed, and her heart skipped a beat. Nervously, her wings flickered, as did her sword—slowly dispersing and fracturing into soft violet light. With her head lowered, the girl’s expression darkened.

 “Uuuh… I’m ashamed…”

 “Well… Kei did say around noon, thinking you’d be late or busy,” a calm voice chuckled. “By the way, Ame,” she said, looking at the girl from head to toe. “I didn’t know you wore such revealing outfits,” she teasingly remarked.

 “I-It was hot…u-umm…is it really that revealing?” the girl sheepishly asked. 

*Chuckles*

 But as her sister responded with giggles, she found her cheeks inflate. However, her sister found it adorable and gently deflated them with a poke.

 “Aww, c’mon, I’m sorry, they aren’t really that revealing, and it’s super cute on you. However… I’m not sure about wearing it, you’re… A Saint, after all.”

 As though a blade pierced her heart, she clenched her chest. Slightly teary-eyed, she peered into her sister’s eyes. “Buuut I want to wear cute outfits too! Be like a normal girl at times, too! Aaah!” she snapped and buried her face in her sister’s chest.

*Clang*

 “Sis…your bosom is rigid...”

 “…It’s the armour.”

 —

 Time passed, and the sisters made it back to Ilifel, a grand metropolis. A city massive enough to sustain and maintain twenty percent of the empire’s population. Despite its sheer scale, it was vivid and life-filled as it embraced the view of the ocean, mountains and fields.

 As the two entered the city, eyes were cast on them: Chely and her younger sister Amethely, The Saint. Unlike the time at the serene lake, Amethely changed her attire—and at this point, she’d gotten used to the gaze of the masses. Still, she did not want others to see her in such clothing—even though some consider it to be common among girls her age.

 She took a deep breath. The air was fresh and cool as the ocean breeze passed through. Her eyes wandered, and she was glued to a stall selling sweets. Despite the temptation, she resisted the urge—telling herself to bake herself so as not to be exposed as a glutton.

 But I don’t have time to bake anymore…there are many tasks at hand: the lab, the church and the clinics… Even now, when I have some free time, I disappoint a friend by being late…

 While her expression hadn’t changed, Chely noticed Amethely’s mood whimper. And once she laid her eyes on where Amethely’s had drifted, she giggled.

 “Do you want some?” Chely teased.

 Sensing that her sister was teasing her, Amethely shook her head. “…No,” she swiftly replied. “Furthermore, we will meet Kei at the café, will we not?

 Surprised by Amethely’s pouting self, Chely’s heart danced and ached. Her chest tightened as birds chirped and sang while dancing in the air amongst the falling leaves—she found it adorable rather than feeling hurt…

 Only if I could see her every day, I’d dote on her!

 “…Sis, you’ll leave soon, won’t you?”

 At the inquiry, Chely’s excitement calmed itself, and her head turned to the sky. Vast and blue. But in her line of sight, the marvels of architecture. Tall stood the grand library; even taller stood the Diloth Tower—the source of the empire’s safety and the outlines of light discs which scatter soft light throughout the city.

 “Well, I’m not sure,” Chely sighed. “We know that a spatial quake has occurred close by—most likely in the southern Ilifelen plains.”

 But as Chely articulated her thoughts, Amethely seemed a little pained. Knowing her sister, she probably worried. When she saw her dispirited, Chely took her hand, gently squeezing it.

 “You know, it’s probably nothing to worry about. Besides, I have Iris.”

 “But…”

 Regardless of what Amethely wanted to say, the levethren arrived.

 “Let’s go,” Chely said and gently pulled her along.

 Dazed by her sister’s easygoing attitude, her tender heart became lulled, and the unease dissipated.

 Goodness, I feel silly for having doubts.

 Slowly, she closed her eyes and let her older and reliable sister guide her. But at the café, she’d find a beautiful girl sitting by the window. The gentle sun made her look warm and loving; her pale blond hair was swept to the side as she sipped her coffee with a tender smile, and her blue eyes met hers—

 “Ame…you’re late,” the girl called out to her.

 In response, Amethely tensed up, and her eyes wandered elsewhere. In the corner of her eyes, she saw Chely trying to contain her laughter. She looked away and covered her mouth, looking amused at the interaction she just had with the girl. 

*Sigh*

 “Sis, thank you for bringing Ame,” the girl said with yet another sigh.

 “I’m sorry Kei…”

 With her head lowered in apology and big round eyes on the verge of tears, Kei couldn’t stay mad at her. “You know, Ame, I thought we’d leave the dorm together…” she calmly said. She patted the seats beside her. “How long will you stand there? Order something already.”

 “Yes…”

 At the moment, there were not many customers—mainly regulars. While Amethely and Kei were among them, it did not come as a surprise as the barista and the others quietly smiled at them. However, before long, their smile turned into bewilderment.

 “Boss, the usual,” Amethely said brightly.

 Chely, on the other hand, awkwardly looked at the menu. “I’ll have sweet blum tea and a cheesecake...” she hushed in a tone almost impossible to note down.

 The barista, who was still dazed by the happenings, snapped back to his senses. “Pardon my rudeness…Lady Chely… Sweet blum tea and cheesecake, as for Lady Amethely, the usual, correct?”

 “…do you add milk in the tea as well?” Chely voiced reluctantly.

 Having heard an unexpected question, the old man’s expression softened. “We could indeed do that if my Lady wishes,” he replied.

 “Thank you.”

 When watching the interaction between the two, a smile crept up on Amethely’s face. Usually, when people interact with Chely, they are stiffened or worry too much about her status.

 “Then that will be 1000 Lech,” the barista said.  

 I have to pay…? I see! He-he-he, I always carry some… huh? Where’s…my Lech?

 As Chely realised she had no money on her, her mind wandered and tried to find a solution. Then, a brilliant idea popped inside her head, and she was saved by her quick thinking.

 “Can I write a check?” she inquired.

 Flabbergasted, everyone froze at her words. The barista stood there, and his eyes wandered to Amethely, who was trying to hold her laughter. Naturally, Chely started to notice the change; her chest started to feel ticklish, and her face heated up, looking a little pink.

*Soft laughter*

 Amidst the tense mood, a light-hearted chuckle echoed in her ears—it came from the little sister she so much loved. “Sis is pretty clumsy, don’t you think, Boss?” she addressed the barista casually.

 The old man smiled and chuckled himself. “You’re right… Somewhat reminiscent of you, don’t you agree, Lady Amethely?” he teased.

 Amethely puffed her cheeks. “You’re not supposed to bring that up!” she exclaimed with a bright red face.

 Watching their exchange, the other customers laughed. They said things like, “Lady Amethely is cheerful today as well,” and “It was like yesterday…how she’s grown…”

 All around her, Chely saw how happy and welcoming everyone seemed. Chely would usually not enter a store like this and felt lost. However, it was not unpleasant. But most of all…

 I see… I never knew Ame had this side to her. She’s usually very reserved and shy. But ever since she became a Saint, she’d been putting a strong front—masking her shyness. But looking at her now, it doesn’t seem she forces herself to be bright and cheerful—I’m glad.

 “So? What made you so late?” a delicate voice rang.

 Sipping her tea, Amethely avoided eye contact and eyed the tarts she’d ordered. “I…have no excuse,” she confessed.

*Sigh*

 “The important thing is that you’re here. Where were you anyway? Not outside the city, I hope?”

*Uuugh…*

 Having heard a strange sound coming from her friend, the answer became clear to her. Thus, she snatched a tart from Amethely’s plate.

 “Wha!? Kei!?”

*Nom*

 “Hm? Whas?” Kei asked with her mouth stuffed.

 “You should at least eat it more slowly…” Amethely voiced.

 “No way, you’d take it back if I took it easy and nibble at it.”

 “…I wouldn’t.”

 Suspiciously, Kei’s brow raised. “Really?” she asked. She turned her gaze to Chely, who was happily eating her portion without much concern. “By the way, Ame, I heard that a prince from Belhum asked for your hand.”

 When asked, Amethely’s eye twitched, and a forced smile surfaced. “…Uuuh, please don’t bring that up.”

 “Why? He’s handsome, is he not?” Kei teased with a wide grin.

 “It’s not about that,” she pouted in response.

 Chely, who leisurely drank her tea and snacked on the cake, stopped moving and turned into a statue. “A-Ame, you’re not leaving, Big Sis, are you!?” she pleaded with teary eyes.

 Kei rested her chin on her palm. “Well, is it because you still haven’t found anyone, Sis?”

 “No,” Chely flatly replied, her eyes blank as if to say she had no interest.

 “Sis, I won’t leave you!” Amethely reassured.

 “Yeah~ It won’t ever happen since her man is in her imagination,” Kei remarked.

 “KEI!?”

*Chuckles*

 “I see…” Chely said while trying to contain her giggles.

 “Sis, that’s mean…”

 Kei smirked. “Ame, it’s about time you give in and find someone. Otherwise, you’d be forced into a political marriage at one point,” she said with a shrug.

 “I won’t ever let her get married,” Chely said flatly.

 “Sis!?” Amethely retorted. “I-It’s not that I don’t want to find someone, but I’m a Saint…”

 “So you say, but that tradition died a few generations ago. Your grandmother was happily married, was she not? I know Sis Chely has an excuse, but you, Ame, don’t really have one—except for the boy in your dreams… Who’s not even real.”

 Curious, Chely tilted her head. “You’ve been talking about a boy in her dreams or imagination... I’m curious. Ame, you never told me about this.”

 You were rarely ever home, Sis, nor did you attend the academy…

 “U-Um, well…” Amethely fumbled. Intently, both Kei and Chely awaited her next words. “I had this dream about ten years ago…”

 Surprised, Chely asked, “A dream from when you were ten?”

 She’s been holding onto it for ten years?

 Kei giggled due to Chely’s bewildered look. For her, it wasn’t something new. But for Chely, who barely met Amethely, it came as a surprise that her own little sister had a crush on a boy she had met in a dream since her childhood—furthermore, holding onto those feelings. 

 Amethely’s cheeks flushed, and her ears reddened as well. However, her expression was that of a maiden in love. Her smile was bashful and cute. She clenched her chest as if holding something precious.

 “You two might find it strange—off-putting even. But it didn’t feel like a dream to me,” Amethely gently said while reminiscing.

 “Well…it probably did feel real since you had a very high fever…” Kei hushed, which only Chely could hear.

 …He’s not real, and she doesn’t seem to have an interest in love other than this. I suppose I can indulge her.

 “…What was he like?” Chely inquired.

 At the inquiry, Amethely’s eyes sparked and gleamed. “He’s…not very nice.”

 As if being blasted with incinerating light, Chely blankly stared at her sister in disbelief. “What…?” Nooo! Don’t tell me she’s into those types! Ame! Nooo! Chely internally panicked.

 “—At first,” Amethely happily smiled. “I don’t remember in much detail, but we were in a city that closely resemble the capital city, Tsroth. But unlike Tsroth, there were strange vehicles. The buildings looked similar, and I’m not sure how to explain it—it was like I was in a different world.”

 Yeah, the world of dreams… Both Chely and Kei thought.

 But before Amethely could elaborate further, Kei’s mood became heavier, and her demeanour darkened. “Sis, I now know where the spatial quake took place.”

 “Where?” Chely asked, her expression became several degrees colder.

 “It’s the southern plains, close to the Great Forest of Lidande—it seemed like a person broke out of the quake area at this very moment.”

 Chely peered into her eyes, “Anything more?” she queried.

 Kei closed her eyes and focused. “From what I can tell, it’s a young man with black hair and golden eyes. He doesn’t seem like a threat, but that doesn’t mean the other things that came with him aren’t…”

 Chely heaved a deep sigh. “I’ll inform my superiors. Well done on detecting it, Kei. You can take it easy. I’ll explain the situation—contact us if you have more information,” Chely said as she got up. “Well then, enjoy, you two.”

 Amethely could only blankly stare as her sister left. However, there was this strange, tingly feeling in her chest.

 Be safe, Sis. 

1