Chapter 9: A Serpent’s Gentle Kiss
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 At every pulse, my body yearns for rest. At every breath, at every moment, blood courses through my veins as if boiling and bubbling. It was fizzy; slowly, I felt as though I was losing my senses. My mouth. Dry. My tongue. Rough as if sanding the insides.

 I wondered—this energy, this heat and gentle warmth that lay within my core. I’ve always wondered why it was there. The moment I woke up, it didn’t feel so bad. And when I first used these strange powers. It was akin to flexing and using a muscle that had been at rest. It burned, it felt sore, and it tore.

 But it did not feel too bad. Strangely.

 It’s really cold, isn’t it? This is the result of my actions. Perhaps I should’ve been more cautious. I must admit curiosity got the better of me. It’s not like I couldn’t get out earlier, even if I were to get injured. It wouldn’t be as bad as this. But I suppose this is the result of exerting these powers; it was expected. But to think it’d bring me close to death’s door. I find it rather amusing.

 What would I tell Emely if we were to meet in the afterlife…? Tell her I almost killed myself using unknown powers granted by who knows who?

 Ridiculous.

 Still, I’m alive. It’s only a bit cold—I’m not complaining. I’m used to the cold, but the gentle warmth wasn’t too bad either. The creature is dead, hopefully. All my energy has been expended—I cannot move. Miraculously, I'm still conscious, though everything is covered in grey clouds. My eyelids weigh too much…I wonder. What is it that will claim me?

*Chuckles*

 Amidst the fog and cloud, there’s a single silver ray of light…a tunnel? But…I don’t want to…

 “—Die yet!” a cry of plea echoed in the dark woods.

 With swift steps, a man’s feet carry him lightly as he struggles through the dense flora. His body was filled with scratch marks; his breaths were ragged as he huffed and gasped for air. He ran and ran. Despite the wound in his shoulder, leg, or abdomen, he was relentless in his pursuit of escape.

 Suddenly, a beam of electricity struck him, leaving him stunned. The man tumbled and rolled, crashing into a tree. He lost control of his magic, and blood started to gush out of his wounds; his vision became red as he looked at the young woman approaching him.

 With a sword pointed at his throat, the man couldn’t help but feel hopeless. The silver moonlight emitted from the blade was cold, but so was its wielder. Her graceful appearance and somewhat short stature. Her eyes were like the beautiful silver moon at night. Her long, silky hair was akin to that of the celestial sky, light and dark with silver and black strands.

—The blood moon herself

 “‘I don’t want to die yet?’ You said?” a graceful voice left the girl’s mouth. She looked at his sorry state; his lips were swollen, and his right shoulder had been pierced by a magic arrow—he was basked in his blood. “Are you begging despite the many lives you’ve taken?”

 “…..”

 The man was silent, unable to utter a single word—because he was dead. She took a closer look at his corpse, and upon closer inspection, she let out a sigh.

 This one, too. Here I was, trying to prevent him from dying. Unfortunately, all the members seem to be cursed with sacrificial magic, which ends their lives before they confess anything.

 A few moments later, the man’s body began to bubble, twist and turn—it was about to morph into something hideous and corrupt. It was a sight she’d seen too many times, and it was unpleasant whether the people be good or evil—she sliced it down with Moon Fracture before it revived.

 Elegantly, she shifted her gaze to the rustling leaves and branches behind her. There stood an older-looking man with blue hair and eyes in heavy armour; behind him were other members of the elimination squad.

 “Princess, you should’ve waited for us…” the blue-haired man voiced. He turned to the disturbing puddle of blood and flesh. “…This one tried to speak too? They either die trying to confess or take their own lives willingly…” he said with a darkened expression.

 “The others you chased down were like him, too?” the girl calmly asked. Frankly, it wasn’t even a question she needed to ask. Judging by their dark expression, they were unable to catch a single one.

 Princess Luna seems indifferent to it all, as usual… They all thought.

 “Yes…but, um…there was something strange as well.”

 Curious, Luna’s brow raised. “Something strange? Did you dive too deep into the forest?” she inquired softly.

 “Yes, we did… However, R’Han found something strange near the eastern part of the forest. It was an Akhlen frozen in clear ice. Its body was twisted and turned—almost unrecognisable.”

 It is indeed a little strange.

 “Is that so?” Luna voiced her disinterest.

 “Well…if it were just that, then I wouldn’t have reported it. The strange part was that no beast around this area utilises water magic the way the Akhlen was killed. Thus, it must’ve been an individual or a party, likely the former…”

 “I already figured as much. Did cult members get involved with it?” Luna inquired while walking toward them. “Let’s talk on the way out.”

 “Yes, certainty,” the blue-haired man replied as he and the others followed behind. “It could be speculated that the cult killed it to take its territory. However… R’Han followed the traces of the battle and arrived at a strange area when he exited the forest to report. He said he felt slight resistance and described the plains as eerie; it was empty as far as his eyes could see…”

  “Eerie and empty? How so? Did he perhaps enter a strange space? If he felt resistance, he should’ve reported back instead of entering.” Luna’s eyes were as sharp as the edge of a blade. “He could’ve died—it might’ve led to a hidden base; it was foolish to enter. If their base is there, few would likely not come out alive even with our current numbers.” 

 “Yes… I agree and will scold him later… However, it seemed he was lucky.”

 Luna raised her brow. “Lucky? How so?” she coldly inquired.

 “R’Han left upon realising his mistake. But when he came looking for back up and headed to the supposed sight—it was just ordinary…”

 “…Xethrel, where is this leading?” a cold voice rang as if clutching his heart.

 “I think we found a spatial quake. When R’Han requested for backup, they didn’t use the same path and ended up in the ordinary plains…”

 “I see, the thing that came out killed the Akhlen.”

 “We’re positive of it…”

*Sigh*

 How troublesome…

 “Report back to Uncle. And if something really broke out. The space should break and merge within a few days,” Luna said as the bright sight of the plains came into view.

 What waited for them were white Ilifelen Wyverns. Their scales were as white as the snow on the Zederes mountaintops, and their blue eyes were as pretty as gems. But amongst them, one stood out the most. Much like Luna’s hair, the wyvern had black and silver scales, and its eyes, unlike Luna’s, were ruby-like.

 She approached the majestic creature and gently peered into its eyes. With an understanding look, the creature lowered its head—letting her pat it.

 “Nees, were you lonely?” Luna gently asked the beast.

*Druun?*

 Nees made a cute chirp-like noise while tilting its head before rubbing its face on her cheek in an affectionate display. Watching the exchange, the three relaxed. Their elegant, stern leader was usually very cold and indifferent, which is why they relaxed when seeing their Princess ease her nerves.

 Oh…Sir Rigeld. Your nephew is such a tough Boss… Xethrel sighed.

 —

 Stumbling forward with clumsy steps, Alum leaned on a tree—his breath was heavy as he struggled to gasp for air, his lungs felt bloated, and he’d occasionally cough blood. Even for someone like him, who had an abnormally high pain tolerance, this was unlike anything he’d ever felt.

 My vision is too blurry. I can barely tell where I’m heading…

 At one point, Alum tried to use his powers to get back to the others, but it resulted in him coughing up blood. He’d reached the absolute limit of the power usage and was punished for trying his luck. But even so, it was a miracle for him that he was yet able to remain conscious.

 I have to get back… they won’t survive without me. They’re too…soft.

 With renewed ignition and resolve, he pushed himself further. In his line of sight, even if everything was blurry, he saw light and an open place—an exit.

 Just a little more…

 Alum reached his hand toward the light, but… despite his vision being impaired. He saw a creature slither around his right arm. It stretched from his shoulder to his hand; its scales were like smooth blue crystals—it was a serpent of sorts.

—Beautiful

 Alum became stunned and admired it for a brief moment, but he couldn’t shake it off. He could barely lift his arms, let alone walk. Its eyes met his, but to his surprise, it didn’t stare at him as it slithered closer to his neck. Alum tried to resist. Despite his effort, however, he could barely pull it away as it took hold of his throat.

 It clung to him, and as if giving him a kiss, it licked the blood that was running down his lip. Alum was slightly taken aback but stopped resisting as it didn’t try to strangle him. It was cool to the touch, like smooth glass with low friction rubbing against his skin.

 Before long, he made it out of the forest. His vision was a little blurred, but he could see a little better now that it was brighter. But… The plains looked too different. Unlike before, it was filled with life.

*Thud*

 Alum fell down and leaned against a tree, finally succumbing to his exhaustion; he stopped moving completely, and his eyelids became heavier than before as his vision darkened.

 I couldn’t even make it back. It’s the same place but at the same time. It isn’t. I remember now… Does it have anything to do with the resistance I felt back then? If so… I must’ve taken the wrong route. And now…the lights are completely off.

*Hum*

 Huh? What’s this noise? Alum wondered.

 He couldn’t open his eyes, but he could tell it was the serpent that made the noise. It was the sound of humming electricity. His body—which was cold, now started to feel warm again—especially around his neck.

“Ha…ha…” Alum feebly chuckled.

 This little fellow is cooking me…how humorous isn’t that?

1