Chapter 4: Polarised Swirls of Contradictions
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 I now know what you’re trying to do. I’m well aware you realise that we all know. It’s a frustrating charade we have to play. But because of it, the gears started to turn. Even if it’s powered by resentment and frustration—I do not want you to be that source. I don’t agree with your methods. But it sure worked. However, you’ll leave us all scarred—even if we survive. The cuts will be deep, ache and twist—adapt or perish, that sort of method is too cruel. Perhaps even for me.

 Alum had walked away after having said what he wanted, and strangely enough, Stig followed. Many voiced their concerns, one of them being Oliver. Each time Miu spoke to Alum, he’d feel his blood boil as his chest wrenched—he really did not like Alum.

“Seriously, what’s his deal?” his very annoyed voice criticised.

 “The situation is serious…” Noel ignored his annoyance and spoke to the others as if Oliver had never complained. “From the looks of it, this thing recently died, but it didn’t die upon such collision. If there are more of them like Alum suggested, we might actually be screwed.”

 “…! Don’t ignore me! Noel, everyone! Are you just going to let him trample all over us!?” Oliver retorted, this time making it difficult for the others to ignore.

 “Oliver’s correct, Noel,” a cold, resentful voice rang. Oscar even surprised himself. But… he just had to unload it all. “We all know you two are friends, but we also saw how he treated you. You’d think we’d have it better? Look at Stig! From the looks of it, the dude goes to the gym three times a week and is ripped. Look how he’s following him with his head low as if on a leash!”

 “…Oscar, I don’t want this to end up in a fight, please,” Noel calmly replied, but his voice hinted that Oscar’s words stung. “It’s all correct, as you all said. I don’t know why he acted like that all of a sudden. But it is evident that his advice is valid…”

 As much as either Oliver or Oscar wanted to admit it. Alum was correct. This place had been strange since the beginning, and now that a strange creature showed up, they had no choice but to believe they were done for if they didn’t start to think.

 “Let’s forget about Alum and Stig for now. We need to come up with a plan in case something like that appears.” Miu’s presence was calming to the others. Her soft voice danced in their ears, soothing, fluffy like feathers. “Professor Emely mentioned this before, but… I really do think we need a leader. It's hectic as of now; there is no real order, and everyone is kind of doing whatever…” 

 But at the mention of Emely, the mood damped. They all knew how close she was with Alum. She was the only one treated differently. How come she was with them and not him?

 “Hey~ Miu, you’re still calling her professor? Look at where we’re at~” Ida chimed in. Her tone was light, but her expression said otherwise.

 “Ida, that’s—”

 “Miu, stay out of this,” Ida remarked and glared at Emely.

 Pretty golden eyes, smooth black hair and a nice style—yeah, I don’t like her. Who does she think she is? Is she trying to seduce men with that innocent look when she already…

 Shocked, as if she’d been stung, Emely collected her thoughts. Calm down, Emy. You did well in becoming such a splendid teacher—even managing to raise precious little Al! She told herself.

 “Also, what’s the deal with you and Alum anyways? Cousins? Are you really supposed to be that close and clingy? It’s sooo annoying, lol~. Did you take him in to groom him or somet—”

 “That’s enough,” Emely sternly cut her off. “Ida, I know you don’t like me all that much, but for you to accuse me like that is unacceptable. Take it back.”

 Emely was reaching the end of her patience. The air was already murky and suffocating—and now, it became worse. Everyone was too speechless to step in between the two. However, the provocation did not stop. 

 “Whaaat!? Scary~ was I correct after all?” Ida continued.

 “…It is not true!”

 “Kyaa~ that’s hilarious, lol.”

 “Ida, stop!” Miu sternly said.

—Then, it all blew away. A surge of warm winds caressed their skin. It was gentle yet intense. The sheer emotion behind the wind originated from Noel, who, with a dark complexion, said, “Please, just stop it.”

 “Noel! Don’t step into—”

 Before Ida could retort, their eyes met—Noel’s usually silver-grey eyes. Usually warm and pleasing to look at, they turned hollow and were void of any light. Ida trembled, and the wind got more intense; it shrieked unpleasantly as if crying.

 —

 “U-Um… Alum, are we…just going to watch?”

 From a distance away, Stig and Alum watched the chaos unfold. It was rowdy, loud, much like paint mixed with every possible colour—becoming unpleasant.

 Hmm, it seems like that stage was skipped. Well, it worked out fine.

 “You can ignore them. But why are you following me? Did I not almost have you killed?” Alum questioned with a dismissive glance.

 Reluctantly, Stig confessed. “To be honest… I think I have a higher chance of survival with you. Sorry, I might've looked down on you because you were younger. But! It is undeniable you saved us.”

*Chuckles*

 “You don’t believe me to be a prude arrogant prick? Why follow someone like that?” Alum scoffed. His grin widened sadistically while he grabbed Stig by the collar, lifting him up in the air to dangle.

 Struggling, Stig said, “I…I don’t; rather, I’ve seen you interact with Professor occasionally. I believe you have a heart somewhere beneath that exterior.”

 Alum mellowed at the words. “She’s different,” he spoke calmly and softly; but didn’t elaborate further and loosened his grip on Stig, releasing him. “Don’t you have friends? If so, you’d be the target of scorn.”

 “…No, I don’t. I was never good at making friends.”

 “…It’s not too late to turn around. They probably pity you, assuming I dragged you along.”

 He’d do the group better.

 With a hint of panic, Stig trembled. “But…what if things like that appear, then what? You’re going to leave us to die?”

 “You didn’t. Now go back.”

 “But…”

 “But?”

 Stig gritted his teeth, grinding them. Filled with frustration, he headed to where the others were.

 Seriously! What’s up with him!? I’m trying to help him, and he shooed me away? Aren’t I potentially useful? Is there another criterion? dammit…

 As Stig threaded back to the others, Alum briefly observed the situation but soon turned his attention to the forest. It had a certain atmosphere about it, perhaps due to its unknown nature, and Alum was drawn to it. It was dark, a little eerie by most standards.

 Whatever should I do?

 Not too long after contemplating, Alum found himself at the forest entrance. There was a sense of unease, and it was—like the plains. But unlike the plains, the rustling leaves danced, and the ambience was brighter and clearer closer up.

 In the end. I am that fool.

 Without hesitation, he entered.

 —

 It had become dusk, and Emely found herself staring at the distant forest. It had been a few hours since Alum walked in, but there was no sign of him coming out. Around the fire, the dry leaves or wood hissed and snapped, popped as gentle winds carried the embers.

 Heavy and oppressive, the silent atmosphere hummed confusion and inaction. Everyone sat around the flames and silently ate what Noel grilled for them. They knew him to be positive—even at the start when everyone was perplexed by the sudden downpour of cold rain. But the discomfort they got from him was unlike that of Alum’s—from anger and resentment. Now. Regret. But on occasion, they’d briefly glance at Emely, who was dazed. She hadn’t said a word since Stig came back alone.

 Miu, unable to handle the atmosphere, got up. Eyes turned to her as if asking where she was heading. It was getting dark, and it could be dangerous. However, nobody still said a thing.

 Noel frowned. “Where are you going?” His tone of voice was calm but a little shaky.

 “On a walk, don’t follow me.”

 “…Alum is missing, you know?” His voice became higher pitch as he got up and grabbed her wrist. “It’s dangerous.”

 Gently, Miu removed his hand. “I’ll just walk around a little. My legs got stiff, that’s all.”

 “…..”

*Chirp*

 But amidst the silence, a sudden chirp echoed; after the first, the second came. Soon, a wave of humming insects filled the atmosphere, and unease began to rise. And as if something broke, a cry from the distance instilled fear in their hearts. A dark and massive creature in the sky revealed itself. Its wings stretched far, and they all could not help but freeze. In a petrified state, they watched as it landed by the lake.

 Is that…a dragon?

*Hic, sniff*

 Silently, the sounds of sobs began to climb from their lungs. It became increasingly more difficult to breathe. As if being soaked in cold water. But despite the flame’s hard work, they did not feel its warmth.

 “*Hic* I…I can’t take this anymore,” a silent moan escaped. It rang loud and instilled hopelessness. “*Sniff* This whole thing… *Sniff* This whole thing is but a nightmare,” the girl continued. 

 But in spite of all this, Emely still stared at the forest.

 Al…where are you?

1