Chapter 21 – Football Gacha System (2)
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I gawked at the floating window, focusing on the “status” written on top, ‘It really is a game screen’

“Hello? System? Care to explain what I’m looking at?”

[The numerical representation of the host’s football skills]

“Huh, so you can understand me”

Another stretch of silence followed as I waited, only to be annoyed at the lack of a reply, “Why aren’t you replying?”

[The system is in notification mode. Switch to conversation mode?]

“Yes, please. And please switch to spoken replies if possible”

(Noted), came the reply in an androgynous voice that sounded between twenty and fifty, so devoid of emotion that it was at the precipice of what I felt comfortable listening to.

“...Better. Now please elaborate on what is going on. What are you and why are you stuck to me” I demanded.

(I am the Football Gatcha System and my purpose is to help you become the best footballer on this planet)

That did it. I finally connected the dots between all the previous holographic windows and this floating ‘status’ screen. I was granted a system like all those fantasy game-style stories on the internet!

My brain released bursts of dopamine as I recalled the absolutely overpowered protagonist in one of the novels I happened to read, ‘I possess my own system, and it can make me a better footballer!!’

‘The screens aren’t some surveillance device, they are a reward! …Well it can still have a backdoor, but still!’

(I don’t possess a “backdoor” and function completely independent of my creators)

“Wha?! You can read my mind?!”

(Yes. I currently possess the ability to understand your thoughts. Do you wish for me to stop?)

Almost instinctively screaming an affirmation, I paused to consider its advantages and grudgingly granted it permission to continue.

“What can you specifically do? How will you help me?”, I asked excitedly, akin to a kid on Christmas.

(I can only increase innate potential. The host’s actual ability will depend solely on his hard work. I can also assist you in training efficiently)

Although the system’s capabilities sounded much milder than what I’d hoped, something about its response pulled at my heartstrings, bringing tears to my eyes, ‘Ah, does that mean that I won’t have to experience being at a standstill again?’

Struggling to maintain my composure, I enquired, “So what do I do to achieve that? Meditation? 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats, and a 10 km run? Oh! Are you going to give an elixir?”

(The host is requested to call out ‘main menu’ for more information)

Wondering if it was some kind of game system where I had to complete missions and level up, I followed the instructions, “Main Menu!”

A simple window replaced my status screen, containing four tabs to choose from - Status, Gacha, Store, and Mission. Peculiarly, the store was greyed out. Choosing to go in order, I mentally selected the Gacha section.

A new screen appeared over the menu, containing a giant greyed-out disk that was divided into equal slices numbered one through a hundred, looking similar to a roulette wheel. Physical parameters like speed and endurance were listed in the center with the last line displaying, [Points: 0].

“Do I need to spin this wheel to increase my potential? How does it work?”

(Yes. The potential of the attributes listed on the wheel can be increased by spinning it. Each spin requires 100 points)

Frowning, I asked, “Points? How do I get those? And what about my mental stats and technique? Can you not increase those?”

(Mental attributes cannot be influenced by the system. As such, they do not have a ceiling and depend solely on the host’s understanding of football and personality. Points can be earned through the host’s actions. Winning matches, scoring goals, winning trophies, and individual awards are a few examples.)

“I see, so the points depend on my in-game performance. What about my technique then? Is my potential for technique also limitless?”

(Techniques do possess a cap, when the host reaches the appropriate level, the relevant mission to break through will appear)

Nodding along to the explanation, I mentally selected my chronic issue - stamina, or according to the system, endurance. The wheel lit up in color and a small marker appeared at the top of it. Scrutinizing the slices on the wheel, I realized that twenty of them were colored blood red while the rest were vibrant green.

“What do the colors signify?”

(The colors represent chances of success. The probability of success of this spin is 80 percent)

My eyes widened as I pondered, ‘Wow! Is this what they call beginner’s luck? Too bad I don’t have any points to spin it’

(Probability for a spin is determined by current potential. Check the status to learn more)

I decided to note down the probabilities for the other attributes before moving on, “System, please display the exact probability for a spin next to the wheel”

(OK)

Back at the status screen, I scrutinized the values, “What is up with my physicals? Going by the mental values, the maximum is probably 100. System, is that correct?”

(Physical and Mental values have a maximum value of 100. Techniques reach up to LV 10. All values are on an absolute human scale where 0 is the lowest possible value for a human while 100 is the highest)

“Huh, I guess my horrendous physical stats are because I am a child?”

While thinking, I noticed the plus sign and mentally selected it. I was taken by surprise when the physical attributes switched values, now much higher on average.

SPEED: 78

ACCELERATION: 80

JUMP: 67

ENDURANCE: 60

STRENGTH: 69

BALANCE: 75

FLEXIBILITY: 70

AGILITY: 58

REACTION: 74

KICK POWER: 71

 

Author's Notes:

Last chapter of this arc tomorrow!

Hope you enjoyed reading :)

2