Chapter 24: Resolve
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We shook hands as I informed him, “For now, I want you to bet on Italy losing to South Korea, and Japan losing to Turkey”

I distinctly remember my surroundings being quite noisy on the last day of Round of 16 matches as they were shocked by the upsets, especially South Korea scraping a draw against Gli Azzuri before spectacularly beating them in extra time, making for an eventful match, to say the least. 

Patrick looked at me like I was a madman, “Have you lost it? South Korea? You think the home advantage is that huge? And why would Japan lose if that’s the case? You are aware that the payouts are bigger because it is unlikely to happen right?”

I almost took a step back at his fierce rebuke, “Don’t worry about it. I’m only going to bet with my own allowance anyway. Are you gonna do it?”

He snorted, “Suit yourself. Ain’t my money”

*************

MISSION

OBJECTIVE: OWN £1000 IN PERSONAL FUNDS

REWARD: UNLOCK STORE

PROGRESS: £78

I rechecked the mission for unlocking the store while cycling back home. While I was wallowing in despair, the logical side of my brain was already plotting my next steps in order to survive. 

My deal with Patrick was also part of my plans to use everything the system provided as I initially planned to wait until adulthood to worry about money. Seeing the mission, I guessed that the system store used real-world money, prompting me to drastically revise my plans.

‘Thank God young me was saving for a GameCube’

“So much for not trying to chase money”, I muttered.

‘System’

(Yes?)

‘These missions… Are you the one responsible for generating them?’

(Yes. I generate missions to help the host achieve his main mission. The main mission was set by my creator)

‘Your creator… What can you tell me about them? And who’s responsible for enforcing the main mission’

(I am unable to provide you with any information about my creators. As I have mentioned before, I function independently, including enforcing the main mission)

I flinched at that, as I realized that my so-called reward, the system, was the one out to kill me.

(The host’s main mission is required for me to function. The host’s achievement only got my creator’s attention, but to provide the host the system and have him time travel required a cost that the host is required to pay back)

“And how does the main mission pay for my time travel? The Ballon d'Or is just another award at the end of the day”

(Fate energy, or karma as this planet calls it, is my creator’s currency. The Gacha and the store all accept different kinds of fate energy. The award doesn’t have any power, it’s the achievement of changing the host’s destiny through his own efforts that provide enough karma to pay back the deficit. This is why the deadline is the same age as when the host died)

As much as I took everything the system told me with a grain of salt, I couldn’t deny that it made sense. I mean, the most brilliant minds in human history are negative about time travel being possible ever. The cost to pull off such a thing must be astronomical. 

Preoccupied with my existential crisis, I failed to notice the increasingly worried gazes of my parents over the past couple of days. I was broken out of autopilot when Mom called out to me, “Hey, sweetie. Is there something you would like to share with Mom and Dad?”

Pausing with my fork midway between the plate and my face, I turned towards my visibly worried parents and feigned ignorance, “No, Mom. Nothing going on”

“Son, you seem to be constantly worried about something since Sunday. Did something happen at the club?”, Dad asked, unfettered by my clear choice to avoid the topic.

“Nothing happened at the club either. I’m just preoccupied with planning my training routine, that’s all”, I fabricated an excuse to get them off my back.

Is it because I have never successfully lied to Mom? She saw right through it, “I thought I taught you not to lie”

Noticing my growing frown, Dad sighed imperceptibly, “Son, if you don’t want to talk about it, it’s fine. Just know that we are always there for you, okay?”

My eyes widened as I realized that I had just been treating my parents in a way I swore I never would. My eyes tearing up, I swiftly bowed my head in affirmation and rushed to my room as I was still not sure how to explain my situation to them.

I wiped my incessantly streaming tears, ‘Yeah, what am I complaining about? I was already dead without the system anyway’

“So what if I have to win the Ballon d’Or? How ridiculous I must appear for complaining after being gifted a second chance and a system to boot”

I closed my eyes and clenched my fists while recalling the mesmerizing play of the world’s best footballers, ‘I’m going to surpass all of them if I have to’

[Ding!]

[Competiveness: 100]

[Unlocked Perk: Underdog’s Rebellion]

I opened my eyes upon hearing the notification and didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at the irony of my first maxed-out stat being the only attribute I hate.

I mentally focused on the perk causing a description window to appear. My eyes widened upon reading it before an enormous smile appeared on my face, ‘I’m sorry for ever complaining about my competitiveness’

 

//Author's Notes:

Sorry for the shorter-than-usual chapter. I had to cut out almost a fourth of it since the section felt out of place.

The second chapter is re-edited, again the plot hasn't changed, only the delivery.

 

Hope you enjoyed reading :)

1