Chapter 1: The Kingdom of Skipia
186 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
A new chapter
Make sure to join the discord to get all the latest updates
https://discord.gg/vaGGTw8v67

Patrolling Wyvern Knight over the north coast of Skipia

A pleasant breeze brushed against the rider's face, his grin still joyful from the exhilarating feeling of riding his wyvern high above the coast near the port city of Rhodon, the trading hub of the north of the continent Vuphera. This was his 21st mission and he was still loving his job, not tiring of it for a moment, he was a member of the pride of his kingdom, the ace troops, the Dragon Knights.

500 metres below him, the people seemed like ants, scampering along the roads, minding both horse and cart. Occasionally, they peered up at him in awe and he felt joy at the recognition he was receiving from them, he was their hero.

A flicker in the distance caught his gaze, it was only a small dot, and it was probably just a bird. But what if it wasn't? What if it was a scout from Oslekya, they had been encroaching on Skipia's western borders a lot recently. As he manoeuvred to observe the 'dot' properly, he noticed that it was getting closer, quickly. Very quickly, faster than any bird could have gone.

He took out his magical communications device and said into it, "Lieutenant Ryker to command, I have spotted suspicious movement in the distance, possible enemy scout. Course of action? Over." 

The magical communications device crackled slightly before a gruff voice sounded out, "Command to Lieutenant Ryker, your report is acknowledged, fly closer to observe and report back any findings, over."

"Acknowledged, over." Ryker jabbed his spurs into the side of his wyvern's flanks and set off at a speed of 30mph, an insane speed for a beast of its size. They had only just reached such speeds recently due to the selective breeding programs run by the nation for hundreds of years. You might think that a dragon would be faster due to its increased strength, but you would be wrong. Although dragons are much stronger and their renowned fire breath is much more potent, their speed is lacking greatly compared to their two-legged cousin, sitting at just over 20mph for the fastest variant, the wind dragon.

He was awakened from his thoughts by a loud buzzing noise, seemingly coming from the object that was getting much closer, much too fast for even a wyvern.

He flew up in an attempt to cut it off preventing it from getting inland, but it was much too fast. It flew past him at speeds that seemed unimaginable, could it have been going at 100mph, maybe even 150mph or 200mph? This was extremely serious.

"Command we have a serious problem, the unidentified object just flew past me without a care in the world about me at unimaginable speeds. It might have even been going 200mph," he said into his magical communications device.


UK Strategic Command

"Sir, land has been spotted approximately 800km west of here by an MQ-9 Reaper drone, it appears to be the land that Gibraltar is connected to." 

General Gabriel Newman looked over at the screen where the live feed from the drone was being shown, it appeared to be of a drier climate bearing an uncanny resemblance to the climate of Spain. But it couldn't be Spain, for not only should Spain be much further south, but Spain also didn't use wooden ships. Yes, that's right, he could see almost a dozen wooden ships gathered around the mouth of the harbour of the city which was also out of place in a modern society. Although it was a long distance away, he could make towering stone walls and thatched rooves on the many dilapidated houses lining the unkempt streets. It was almost as if they were in a whole new world.

The Prime Minister would have to be made aware of this immediately. This news was going to be hard to break to the public, they would be angry and looking for someone to pin the blame on. Fortunately for him, it wasn't his job to make the people aware of this. He offered a silent prayer for the Prime Minister and his neck.

He needed to do anything he could to make sure that everything went as smoothly as possible. "Someone reach out to Airbus Defence and Space, I want all Skynet satellites to confirm what we are seeing right now. And have everyone on high alert, this is a tense situation we are in right now."


10 Downing Street

"Although we produce enough for the entire country, a lot of our food was imported. We are going to have a severe lack in variety of foods, the public isn't going to like that."

Timothy Roberts was growing tired of the many reports that were being made about their situation. He got the gist of it, they were ok for now, but they were going to have to do something about it if they wanted to continue their way of life. "Thank you for the report Ellen, but I'll let you get back to your job now, we all have a lot of work to do."

To acquire the resources that they needed to import, they would have to find someone to trade with. But to do that, they would have to meet with the natives and of course, people were against that. There were concerns that the British would once again take a colonial stance, or that we would start an unnecessary war by mistake.

But they needed to do something, so he made a judgement, "Sarah, can you please connect a call through to Aidan Mitchell (First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff)."

He waited a moment before there was a click, and a voice came through the phone, "Yes Sir."

"I'm sorry to have to call on you like this, but I need you to arrange a task force headed up by the HMS Queen Elizabeth along with some diplomats that we will be sending along. I will then need them to sail to a nearby country to make first contact and make negotiations on good terms. But we can't come off as weak, or we won't gain their respect."

"Leave it to me, sir," came the reply, before the line went silent.

 

If you spot any mistakes, feel free to let me know in the comments

Please share this book with your friends so that more people see it

Patreon
Ko-fi

 

5