Chapter 4: Preparations
132 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
A new chapter
Make sure to join the discord to get all the latest updates
https://discord.gg/vaGGTw8v67

Atop the Rock of Gibraltar

Sergeant Thompson's radio crackled, "Command to Sergeant Thompson, what the hell did you just do? We told you to hold tight."

"They were unthinking beasts charging straight at us. I gave the order to protect my men."

"Nevertheless, we will be having a talk about this back at base," the reply came.

A slight crackle sounded before a new voice came through the radio,  "Command, we have a problem. There have been new sightings of people. It appears to be an army."

"Thompson, get back to base now," came the order from command.


Map of Gibraltar

i8jAdC8.jpeg


Devil's Tower Camp
Gibraltar

Commodore Dylan Gómez paced around the room, waiting for two others to arrive. He heard running along the corridor and then they rushed into the room. Majors Victor Clark and Cohen Wells were the other two majors that arrived after Major Tobias Rogers and they had command of 120 men each as well. "Gentlemen, a force of over 10,000 men strong has been spotted marching towards our northern border and a fleet of 20 ships has been spotted to our south."

He then continued, "Now admittedly, they do appear to only be equipped with medieval weapons, but we cannot discount the possibility that they are just hiding their real weapons to trick us."

Major Clark, with a flabbergasted look on his face, said, "Over 10,000 men! Even if they do have antiquated weapons, that is a formidable force that we will struggle to hold off. Have you informed the UK?"

"Yes, the UK has been informed but we will be without any support for a few hours as a storm has prevented the takeoff of fighters and there are no troops prepared to be shipped over here yet. We are on our own. Fortunately, we still have the 4 Typhoons that were already stationed here as well as the AH-64E Apaches," Dylan reported to the two men.

"Are we presuming that the ships are intending to land troops on the south coast?" asked Major Wells.

"And if so, are we going to bombard them with our howitzers?" Major Clark asked.

"Yes, they appear to be on a course for Windhill Beach currently. Taking them out before they arrive is probably the best course of action. Wells, take your men to Windmill Beach in case they break through, take some Overwatch Boxers to provide covering fire with Brimstone missiles if needed. Clark, take your men to join up with Major Rogers and the Gibraltar Regiment to hold off the army from the north."

"Yes sir," they both said before Major Wells marched out of the room.

Major Clark however stayed and said, "What if they ask for parlay?"

Dylan thought for a moment, before replying, "Grant it but take armoured vehicles to protect yourself if necessary, these are strange lands, we don't know their customs."


RAF Gibraltar
The New Border

Major Tobias Rogers had installed a new makeshift fence between the airfield and the new land, to replace any parts that were lost during the transmission. Along that fence were 360 men from the Girbraltan Regiment and his own Rifles company, they had 12 Boxer IFVs, 16 245 Ajaxes and 6 Alvis Stormer Self-propelled (SP) HVMs and a large number of Land Rover Wolfs to support them as well as 2 Archer Artillery Systems somewhere around the airbase or west of the cemetery. He had just received the report that there was an enemy force, now appraised at 30,000 men approaching his position. There were 120 men from Major Clark's company and 100 marines from 47 Commando dispatched to his position to assist, but that was still just a measly 580 men against 30,000.

"Sir, reconnaissance units have spotted the approaching force, they confirm that it is around 30,00 men. It is comprised of roughly 20,000 spearmen, 8000 archers and 2000 cavalrymen. They appear to be lightly armoured, with little to none on the archers and spearmen and chain mail on the cavalrymen, bar 200 men with plate armour that we believe to be an elite unit," one of his lieutenants reported.

Tobias thought for a moment before giving his reply, "Have all guns trained on them, but do not fire yet. This could be ended without bloodshed."

A light rumbling sound erupted from the south, he turned to see a large number of cars driving onto the airbase. In addition to the 6 boxer IFVs, 5 Ajaxes and Land Rover Wolfs, there were a lot of requisitioned civilian vehicles, use of vehicles had been banned temporarily anyway to conserve fuel, so at least they were seeing good use. But there were too many to just be for the 220 reinforcements that they were promised, you could have transported a thousand men in that many vehicles.

A Range Rover, which he was sure was specifically picked by the officers from among the civilian cars, stopped in front of him and two men got out. "Major Rogers, good to see you," the lead man said.

He replied to the tall-looking man, "And you Major Clark, why on earth have you got so many cars with you?"

"When they heard about the invasion, some civilians and vets signed up to fight, that's why we took so long, around 400 in total," Clark said.

"Major, I'm Captain Griffiths, commander of the Marines stationed here, I'm looking forward to a good fight together," the second man said to Tobias suddenly, reminding him that the other man was there.

He shook his hand and said, "I'd prefer not to fight them at all personally."

Captain Hendrix Griffiths then shook his head and replied, "You guys in the army are too soft, you're afraid to get your hands a little dirty."

A horn sounded out to the north shattering any thoughts they had, before they ran to the makeshift barricade and looked over at the assembled army they were facing. The cavalry was lined up at the front, a good idea as the land north of Gibraltar was extremely flat, perfect for a cavalry charge, but unfortunately for them, the British were behind fortifications, and they didn't plan on leaving them. In the centre, were the 200 men in plate armour, surrounding a few well-dressed men, supposedly the commanders. 

That was when a cavalryman rode forward, waving a white flag, the customary symbol for a parlay.

If you spot any mistakes, feel free to let me know in the comments

Please share this book with your friends so that more people see it

Patreon
Ko-fi

 

5