Chapter 13: A Suspicion [2]
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ardyn felt a tingle run over his skin, the vibration reaching his nerves and sending him into a state of momentary shock. He blinked slowly as he tried to make sense of Evan's words just now.

Summoner…

What a strange word. It was a term he often encountered in comics and TV shows, but never discussed in real life as if it was a part of reality. Him being a Guardian was ridiculous enough, but to think that the man who always appeared in his dreams was his Summoner…

One of the puzzling questions in his head was finally answered, but then it only led to more questions. Like why he could never see the man's face. Why he could never remember the dreams and their conversations, but always the familiarity of it all. The comfort and the reassurance.

And why didn't the man just tell him everything, including his own whereabouts? Or was that forbidden?

Is it another one of those destiny things? I really don't understand.

"Had he been telling me all this time to come find him here?" Ardyn asked. "Had it all been a sign? Was my death pre-planned or something like that?"

Come to think of it…

Ardyn swallowed.

['Come and find me.']

Why are those words suddenly ingrained in my head?

Evan's expression was filled with genuine sympathy. "It must've been very difficult for you," he said softly. "About your death… perhaps it was indeed a part of your fate. After all, the Otherworlders before you had all died the same way."

His words made Ardyn stop in his tracks. "They… They did?"

Evan nodded, a forlorn expression coming over his face. "Most of them had apparently passed away in their early twenties. Some died of an illness, some from an accident. They were all pretty young."

"Can I ask how they died here?" Ardyn inquired, feeling a little tense. "I mean, I know it's been 200 years since the last one…"

"Well, a few died before they turned thirty," Evan said in a low voice. "The oldest, based on the Book of the Otherworlders, was 29 years old when he died. However, he also had the most tragic death."

Ardyn was almost afraid to ask, but his mouth had a mind of its own, anyway. "What happened to him?"

"He was killed by the Calamity, along with his Summoner," Evan said solemnly. "They had been in a city where the monster attacked. The Otherworlder froze in place, based on the testimony from his fellow Guardian at the scene, and his Summoner rushed to protect him. Unfortunately… the Calamity crushed them both."

Ardyn felt the bile rise in his throat. His stomach churned at the mere thought of facing the monster, which was apparently a gigantic, powerful demon capable of destroying an entire city with a single blow.

Who was to say that he wouldn't soon share the same fate as that Otherworlder?

A few seconds later, Evan seemed to realize that he shouldn't have said those words. "I—I apologize," he said quickly, looking a little flustered. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"…I'm going to die," Ardyn said blankly.

"No, no, don't say that—"

"I'm going to die a horrible death," Ardyn muttered, feeling dizzy. "There's no hope for me…"

"Don't say that!" Evan said helplessly. "Oh heavens, me and my big mouth…"

"I'm done for," Ardyn continued to mutter, as though he were in a daze. "What am I even doing here…"

"Um… please don't worry—"

"There are a lot of safehouses around this big island, right? Is there an underground hiding place for me? I just want to stay there for the rest of my years."

"Uh, perhaps I can make arrangements — wait, no!" Evan said, panicked.

Ardyn laughed. "I was just kidding! No worries." He smiled. "I wanted to lighten up the atmosphere a little. I feel like I've just been an annoyance today, so..."

"Oh." Relief spread across Evan's features. "Well then, let's do something about that. What do you say to visiting some of the booths here?" He gestured towards the ongoing festivities. "There's a lot of entertainment you can try here. Please, help yourself. The people here are nice once you get to know them."

Ardyn followed Evan's gaze and couldn't deny that some booths indeed looked tempting. He could also spot some snacks that he had never seen before but looked really scrumptious at the moment.

He had eaten a lot back at the castle, but now his stomach seemed to be pleading with him to try some.

They do say that stress-eating is pretty effective…

Evan must've noticed the sparkle in his eyes, because he suddenly said, "Oh, would you like to try that snack? Angelbay City is known for its Elfroien Pancakes!"

Ardyn hesitated. "Are you sure? The line's a little too long…"

"Don't worry, it doesn't take too long to make!" Evan insisted, starting to drag Ardyn towards the booth.

"Wait, I don't have any m—"

"I'll take care of it! Consider it my treat!"

"But I can't just—"

It was too late. While Ardyn went on with his protests, the line cleared up soon enough, and Evan already bought them the famed Elfroien Pancakes.

Ardyn couldn't help but notice how heavenly it smelled. It was similar to the scent of pancakes back home, but there was something else to it, something so captivating that it made his mouth water.

When he gingerly took a bite of the pancake, his eyes sparkled in an instant.

"This… This is delicious!" he exclaimed. "I've never tasted anything quite like it!"

"That's great to hear!" Evan chirped and took a few bites of his own pancake, which was wrapped in an elegant paper. "People here love these pancakes. The recipe is exclusive to the Echelli clan who live here in Angelbay City."

"I guess this is one of the reasons why tourists flock here, huh?" Ardyn remarked, still focused on finishing off his pancake. "Damn, this is really delicious."

"I would sometimes bring Ely and the other Guardians here in town just to eat this," Evan said with a chuckle. "The taste never gets old, to be honest."

"I wonder what kind of ingredients they use…"

"Even the royal family has no idea. The Echelli clan is very serious about keeping their recipe a secret. They're usually…"

Ardyn glanced at Evan, confused as to why the latter's voice suddenly drifted off in the middle of the conversation.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

To his surprise, Evan only smiled and stopped walking. Ardyn paused as well to stare at him.

"Leon," Evan suddenly said. "I know you're there. You can show yourself now."

Ardyn stopped chewing.

Leon?

Why did that name sound familiar?

At that moment, a hooded man approached them. When he came near, Ardyn could see the sight of a sword attached to the man's hip.

He almost choked on the pancake that was still in his throat.

What the hell?!

0