Chapter 14: Preparation [1]
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ardyn and Evan successfully snuck back into the castle, fortunately without attracting unnecessary attention. Evan left to see the King, but he promised to provide Ardyn with the books and other necessities later on for the tiring journey ahead. He also mentioned that the plan would be executed in the next two hours.

Ardyn lay back on the bed and closed his eyes, letting exhaustion take over.

Just ten minutes, he thought to himself. I'll sleep for ten minutes. Maybe then, from a stroke of luck, I might discover that this is all just a bizarre dream...

Soon enough, Ardyn's mind drifted off into the darkness.

‏‏‎ ‎

* * *

‏‏‎ ‎

A dream.

It was another dream.

He was back in the same garden, with the blue fireflies — the Lingers, rather — circling the bushes. It was always night here, and the atmosphere was chilly and peaceful. The moon was bright enough to illuminate the surroundings, and overall it just felt safe.

It was strange how memories worked in the dream world. Here, he could only remember what happened in each dream.

The dream memories never bled into reality. It was as if his memories of the real world and the memories of the dream were separate, like his real self and his dream self were two different beings.

There had to be a paradox somewhere, but at the moment, his memories were all over the place. He did not want to think any more about it.

This time, he didn't sit by the fountain. Instead, he walked around the beautiful garden, marveling at how enchanting the surroundings looked. This place was like his safe space, the one area that protected him from all his problems in the real world.

When he returned to the fountain area, he saw him.

The same man who kept appearing in his dreams.

When Ardyn approached, he took it slow, step by step. Even from afar, he could see that the man had a face.

But it was so strange. He still couldn't discern the man's features.

What in the world was going on?

"Who are you?"

The words just left his lips before he could think twice about it.

He stopped just a few meters before the man, holding his breath as he waited for a response.

Even as the seconds passed, he didn't sense any kind of animosity coming from the man. In fact, the atmosphere remained serene, almost comforting.

"…Adrien."

Ardyn jolted at the sound of his real name coming from the man's lips.

"What is it?" he said, uncertainty coloring his tone. The man sounded different today.

There was a moment of silence.

"Why have you come?" the man finally asked.

"Huh?" Ardyn stared at him. "I always come here. What are you talking about?"

"Why did you arrive?" the man repeated, his soft tone never diminishing.

At this point, a big question mark filled Ardyn's head. He had no idea what he was talking about. Weren't they always meeting at this same place? Why was he asking this kind of question now?

"I… I don't know," Ardyn finally said. "I just did. You tell me why, because I have no clue."

The man only stared at him before letting out a quiet sigh. "…I'm sorry."

Ardyn felt his throat go dry.

Sorry?

"Why?" he prodded.

The man shook his head. "It seems that you haven't been awakened yet. That's fine. I haven't yet, too. But I can sense it in you for some reason. I know that you're here."

He was making zero sense.

Irritation clouded Ardyn's mind, and he snapped, "Can you please stop talking in riddles and just tell me what's going on?"

It was strange. Ardyn couldn't decipher the man's features, but he could somehow sense a sad smile curving the latter's lips.

"You'll know soon. We might finally get to meet. And properly this time."

‏‏‎ ‎

* * *

‏‏‎ ‎

Ardyn instantly sat up in bed, wide awake.

What the hell?

He plopped back on the mattress, groaning silently. He went to sleep to clear his head, but now he was feeling dizzy and confused.

It was another one of those dreams.

He couldn't understand it. Just what was he dreaming about, and why did he keep forgetting them?

His Summoner.

His Summoner was probably calling for him again.

But where was he?

Ardyn narrowed his eyes, clenching the bed sheets so tightly that it wrinkled excessively.

There's no point in dwelling. I already had my sleep, so let's go and pack. My clothes are probably dry at this point.

With that in mind, Ardyn got up and started towards the bathroom. For now, his survival was of the utmost importance, like Evan said.

As long as he went along with the flow of the evacuation and the escape plan, he would be safe.

With renewed vigor, he swore to himself that he wouldn't let things go wrong this time.

‏‏‎ ‎

* * *

‏‏‎ ‎

Meanwhile, in the hall, the celebration continued as various entertainers from cities across the realm performed majestic acts for the guests' enjoyment.

Amidst the festivities, Elyana, Voss, and Blade discreetly approached the King and Queen.

Voss Gandler and Blade Markis, Evan's other two Guardians. They were a pair who preferred to do things on their own. It wasn't that they didn't like being with the group. Rather, they found that they could get a lot more done on their own.

Voss was a tall, brown-skinned man with messy black hair, slanted eyes, and sharp, angular features. He held himself with a quiet grace and, along with Mathias, was one of the most logical of them all.

Blade, on the other hand, looked a bit more intimidating. With his dark red hair and perpetually narrowed eyes, he seemed like an aloof character. Appearances were deceiving, however, as they found that he had the nicest smile of them all. He also tended to be very quiet, and the other Guardians sometimes forgot he was there because he had little presence to begin with.

"Your Majesty," Elyana greeted the royal couple with a royal curtsy. "May we request an audience in your chambers?"

The King and Queen exchanged surprised glances.

"Is something wrong, my dear?" the Queen inquired softly.

"The banquet is still in full swing," the King observed. "Is it a matter of urgency?"

Elyana nodded solemnly. "I fear trouble is brewing in these lands, Your Majesty," she revealed. "We must act quickly."

The royal couple shared a concerned look before reaching a decision.

"Very well. We will hear what you have to say."

0