Chapter 15: Evacuation [1]
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ardyn was almost done packing when he suddenly heard the sound of knocking.

"It's me," Evan's familiar voice sounded softly through the door. "I'm coming in, okay?"

Ardyn finished zipping up his backpack when Evan entered the room. The younger man was holding a small bag in his hand as he approached.

"The plan has commenced," he said. "We just finished informing the King and Queen. We will be giving an announcement to all citizens shortly."

"What did your parents say?"

"They were not happy." Evan sighed. "Anyway, thanks to your disguise during the banquet and your cover story as my friend and one of the lower-class royals, I can confidently say that you're in the clear for now."

Ardyn didn't miss that last part.

'For now', he said.

Such simple words, but with such heavy weight attached to them.

Well, at least I got to eat good food before I potentially die…

"They are currently preparing everything as we speak," Evan continued on. "The soldiers will be quite busy from now on. I'll sneak you out soon once there's an opening. With Ansel here, it'll be much easier."

"Ansel?" Ardyn inquired. What did the boy have to do with this?

"He holds the magic of invisibility," Evan explained. "He's proficient enough that he can spread it to people and objects, but only for a limited amount of time."

Invisibility?! Ardyn's jaw almost dropped open. I can get to see such awesome magic?

"You look amazed," Evan said, laughing.

"I've always wanted to have magic like that!" Ardyn exclaimed. "Isn't it cool if you can just sneak in anywhere and play pranks on people with it? They'd never know that it was you!"

"Pranks? I guess you're one of those mischievous ones."

"Hey, the daily university life was hectic. I needed some thrill every now and then."

Ardyn sighed before collapsing onto the mattress, feeling his limbs drained of energy.

"I haven't thanked you yet, have I? How can I express my gratitude to you? I don't feel like just saying thank you is enough," he mumbled.

Evan smiled. "There's no need to thank me, though the sentiment is appreciated. I'm merely doing what I think is right."

"Well then, it's a good thing I ran into you instead of any other person," Ardyn said, responding to him with a weary smile of his own. "I must've given you so much trouble since I first appeared."

"I will not lie. It has been hectic," Evan said lightly. "But if you really want to make it up to me, then I have a few requests."

"What is it?" Ardyn asked as he sat up to look properly at the prince. "You can ask anything of me, and I'll do my best to fulfill it."

"I want you to find your purpose in this world," Evan said softly.

Ardyn stared at him blankly. "My purpose?" he repeated.

Evan nodded. "I personally think that you're meant for something greater. Something far beyond anyone's expectations."

"Whoa, whoa. Aren't you giving me too much credit here?"

"There was once a saying from the former Oracle. 'When a person of legend, a person that comes from another world, graces this land, they will either be this world's savior, or its destruction'."

"I think I remember Mathias mentioning that."

"Yes. Ever since I learned of it, I started to think: what if we've all been going about this the wrong way?"

"Uh, what are you talking about? I don't follow."

Evan was silent for a moment. "Well. I'd elaborate more, but I'm afraid time is not on our side. You'll know what I mean soon." He handed Ardyn the small bag that he'd been holding since he entered. "Inside of this are all the tomes you need. Read through them once you're alone. Also…"

Evan took a deep breath.

"I'll be entrusting you with the Book of the Otherworlders. Please take good care of it, as I don't know if there are still any left in this world."

Dazed, Ardyn took the bag and stared at it. Suddenly, everything inside of him seemed to crumble slightly, like the beginning of a heartbreak.

"Will I ever see you again?" he asked quietly.

"Why do you say that?" Evan asked, seeming a bit bemused.

It wasn't like Ardyn never thought about it or even considered the possibility. He did. But he tried not to dwell on it further, because it would only result in increasing his sadness and paranoia.

"Everything will be fine if you guys manage to seal away that monster, right?" he said.

Evan nodded. "Yes. You can even live normally if you wish. But like I said, the choice is up to you."

"But what if you all don't succeed?"

Evan looked taken aback.

But just as he opened his mouth to respond, Ardyn said quickly, "It's not that I don't believe in your abilities or anything like that. It's just… Isn't it dangerous? What if…"

"That…" Evan appeared pensive for a moment. "Well, all I can say is that we can never know what happens. First and foremost, I'll do my best."

Ardyn fell briefly silent. "So there's no guarantee," he stated.

Evan was about to respond, but Ardyn continued on, "It's just that right now, with you being here… I have this sinking feeling that this might be the last time." He chuckled hollowly. "I'm just being too dramatic, right?"

"Your feelings are valid," Evan said gently. "They come from a place of concern. I won't judge you for it."

At that moment, there was a shuffling noise coming from outside, effectively breaking the solemn moment. It seemed that the people in the castle were rushing somewhere.

"It's starting," Evan remarked. "Let's get ready to leave."

Ardyn nodded.

‏‏‎ ‎

* * *

‏‏‎ ‎

"Attention, citizens of Angelbay. The King and Queen have an urgent and important announcement to make. Please listen carefully."

Everyone in town, including Leon, who was still loitering around, stopped in place to stare at the shell speakers attached to the nearby pillars. They were only used by the royal family to make announcements that commanded every citizen's attention.

"What else could they want to announce at this time?" one woman wondered aloud. "I thought we're still in the middle of a celebration?"

"Maybe something happened?" a man nearby guessed.

While the crowd was plunged into confusion, Leon stood there, contemplating what to do.

If he returned there now, what should he tell his father? He had nothing. He hadn't been able to overhear much of the Prince's conversation with his new friend.

Sighing, he decided to go back and face the consequences. He didn't think that anything bad happened at the castle. After all, if something grave really occurred, then all of the guards should be running towards the gates right now. There were emergency alarms set in place once an intruder caused trouble, so as long as nothing was blaring, then it wasn't anything related to physical danger.

Leon hurried back to the banquet, removing his hood and taking a deep breath.

However, just as he was about to reach the doors, the Duke suddenly appeared before him with an angry expression.

Leon immediately stopped in place. "Father?" he said, puzzled.

The Duke narrowed his eyes at him. "There is no time. We must hurry and leave."

Suddenly, he grabbed Leon's arm and started leaving the area, his two bodyguards following quickly from behind.

Leon had no idea what was happening. "Father?" he tried again. "What's the matter? What happened back there?"

"They haven't announced it yet, but they're about to. And I know exactly what it is," the Duke gritted out, cold sweat breaking out on his brow. "The King still has no idea that I planted a spy in one of his so-called kingsmen."

"What?"

"Hurry up now, boy," the Duke said, quickening his steps even more. "We must prepare the defenses back at home. Otherwise, the duchy will be destroyed. We'll leave that monster to their beloved Summoner Prince and his precious Guardians."

"Monster?" Leon exclaimed, eyes wide. "Father, I'm afraid I do not understand. What—"

"You don't need to understand. Just come with me and leave this farce behind. Later, you will tell me everything that I need to know. Do not dare leave anything out in your report. I need to know what exactly the Prince is planning."

0