Prelude: The Dream
53 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was that dream again.

When the familiar abyss faded gently into a hazy night with a spray of stars in the sky, Ardyn closed his eyes, already basking in the familiarity of this ethereal place. It was always the same one; a beautiful garden with a fountain at the center and white dandelion fuzz dancing gracefully with the wind.

And the fireflies. The unusual blue fireflies that roamed about the garden, circling the flowers and flying up the branches of the trees.

Ardyn sighed softly as he sat on the edge of the fountain, his hands touching the cool marble. For some reason, this recurring, mysterious dream always comforted him and gave him peace, chasing all his worries away.

However, he also felt a heavy tug at his heart, as if he were yearning for something. This sensation was often something he couldn't fully understand. He had this desire, this longing for a person, but he didn't even know who that person was specifically.

But there was this visitor. This man who always kept him company in these dreams. The man never gave his name, and Ardyn never gave his, either.

Come to think of it, Ardyn never really saw his face. It was as if the man's features were blurred, giving him a surreal appearance.

[Tap. Tap.]

Ardyn's eyes opened slowly to the familiar sound of footsteps that interrupted the quiet night. The steps were slow and unhurried, but Ardyn was used to waiting.

"Hurry it up," he muttered. "Why are you always taking your time to come to me?"

When the words escaped his lips, the footsteps paused. Silence met him as a response, but soon enough, the sound of a light, amused chuckle drifted into his ears.

"You're as impatient as ever," the voice said smoothly.

Ardyn cracked a smile. "You know that, and yet you make me wait every single time."

"Touché."

Ardyn chuckled, then patted the space next to him. "Come sit here beside me," he urged.

Even though Ardyn couldn't see the person clearly, as if his eyes were blurry and unfocused, he could practically feel the man shaking his head as he complied with Ardyn's request and humbly sat down next to him.

Ardyn turned to him with a small smile, not saying a word.

This was the visitor he always looked forward to meeting in his dreams. The same visitor who gave him a sense of comfort, a sense of completeness. He was warm and familiar, almost like home.

"You seem happy today," the man commented gently.

Ardyn nodded. "Yeah, I am."

"Why?"

Ardyn pondered over it for a moment before responding teasingly, "Why? Do I always seem sad?"

To his surprise, the man nodded solemnly. "Yes. You just… always seem to be longing for something."

There was silence after that. The cool breeze swept past their bodies, but Ardyn could not feel the chilly sensation. Beside him, the man seemed to be radiating a heat so warm that Ardyn couldn't help but sigh contentedly.

"Am I, really?" Ardyn finally broke the silence, tilting his head upwards to watch the night sky. "True, there's this empty feeling in my heart that I can't describe. I mean, I'm happy, I'm truly happy with my life. I have supportive parents, I have great friends, I passed all my subjects, and now I'm all set to become a working adult in the real world…"

The man listened to everything silently, patiently. Ardyn could even sense a small smile on the man's face as he hummed quietly in acknowledgment.

"I'm thankful for everything, and yet…" Ardyn sighed, closing his eyes. "I feel so empty. Whenever the day ends, I feel unaccomplished. My chest feels heavy, like a weight is slowly pulling me down. It's like my heart is trying to tell me something, but I can't hear it."

"What about now?"

"Huh?"

Ardyn opened his eyes and turned towards his gentle companion.

"What about now?" the man repeated softly, his voice like a lullaby. "Do you still feel uneasy?"

"Now? Uh…" Ardyn lowered his head, gaze fixed on the hands resting on his lap. "I guess… it feels right whenever I'm with you. It doesn't feel so empty like before."

"Is it because of me, or is it because of this particular place?"

"What? Well, I'm not sure."

Seconds passed — perhaps even minutes. Confused, Ardyn turned to the man once again.

But no one was there.

Panic filled Ardyn's heart in an instant. "H—Hey. Hey!" he cried out, alarmed, immediately standing up and looking around the area. "Hey! Where did you go?"

Silence greeted him. The blue fireflies were still floating around the garden regardless of his anxiety.

Ardyn stared at the fountain, the flowers, the trees, and then at the night sky. Suddenly, things weren't so calming anymore.

He felt alone. So terribly alone.

Darkness was starting to cloud his vision. Everything seemed to be fading away.

"No… No… wait…!" he tried to shout, but what came out of his lips was a feeble sound.

Before the darkness overtook him, he spotted the man again, and this time, the latter was standing beside a nearby tree, staring at him worriedly.

And he seemed to be trying to tell him something.

"Soon…" his lips moved, gaze apologetic. "I'm sorry…"

What? Ardyn reached out towards him desperately with tears blurring his vision, wanting to feel his warmth once more. But it felt like the man was now too far away for him to grasp.

"No, no…" he whispered. "Come back…"

The man's voice seemed to echo in a distant space as he responded.

"Come find me…"

And then the world vanished, swallowed up by an inky black void.

3