2. Damiano
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Who possesses the audacity to borrow a substantial sum of money, share their address over the phone following a threat, and express a desire to speak directly with the boss? Driven by curiosity, I trailed Franco and Marco.

Anticipating a heavily armed, muscular figure, I was pleasantly surprised when Nicolas and Fiero forcibly opened the door. Instead, a girl with short hair and a slim, toned physique emerged. Her diminutive stature became apparent upon closer inspection; she barely reached my chest.

A well-dressed boy soon joined her, obscuring my view. Irritated by his confident demeanor, I found it ludicrous that he thought he could protect her with just a gun and no bulletproof vest.

As they stood side by side, my attention returned to the girl. Despite her attempt to appear unafraid, subtle signs betrayed her nerves—slower movement, fidgeting, higher voice, and shallow breathing. It amused me.

Yet, I perceived a shadow within her—her determination to overcome fear hinted at a powerful motivation. It’s akin to a small mouse laying a trap for a cat. She can’t merely be seeking entry into the gang; there’s a more significant and, I hope, darker objective at play.

As she spoke, I couldn’t take my eyes off her, busy trying to glimpse the hidden truth in her words.

Those thoughts consumed me until Franco sought my opinion. His eyes met mine, and I saw that damned smirk in the corner of his mouth. “Everyone should have a chance in life. If that’s what she wants, then she has the chance to prove it. However, I don’t think she has the guts to kill anyone.” My words flowed effortlessly; I aimed to uncover her, to give her a chance if she proved worthy.

Her face seemed relieved by my answer. I couldn’t help but look pleased. After Nicolas took Amara and the boy—whose name I couldn’t remember—to the apartment, Franco pats me on the shoulder. “Boy, you’ve got to admit, the girl has some guts.” He smiles.

I noticed that before he did.

“Maybe you already admit it. You make her feel uncomfortable with those sweet eyes.” He laughs.

I don’t think I make any sweet eyes. The old man is surely delusional.

“……” My words would never convince him anyway. I stand up, wondering how long it takes to amass such wealth. My hands sink into my pockets as I stroll towards my father. “These cost more than $1,000,000…” He seems excited.

Maybe even more money, I think.

Franco makes a call, and as he approaches, he briefs me and dad. “Marco, the men will come to transport this in a few minutes. I will take Damiano with me.” I follow the man, and my father will take care of the drugs to arrive at the right deposit.

Damned Sicily… The sun burns my hand as it rests on the car handle while I drive with one hand. His mansion is a few kilometers from the old house where Amara had the drugs.

Amara… The name sounds bitter. Though she is a sweet little thing ; her body vivid in my head. The butt she showed while turning to present the briefcase is the most predominant trait in my mind right now .

“Who got you smiling like that?” Franco seems to have fun at my expense. I frown. “I don’t remember the last time I saw you smiling, my boy.”

He is right… Since my mom died, I have long forgotten how to smile. It is weird that my lips curve a little at the thought that the girl looks incredibly fun to play with. I have no doubt that I finally got my hands on a fine girl. Mysterious… just how I like it.

The boss glances at me, sighing after checking his phone. “You have to find a wife soon. Else, I won’t be able to retire soon.” I still wonder why he puts such a condition. Being the boss is far from a tranquil life, drinking wine with your wife in your apartment. But it is his request, and I will have to fulfill it.

“I will try.” He smirks, and I know what he is thinking. We both think of Amara. No doubt….

Franco’s favoritism towards me is a good opportunity to secure myself the position of the next in command - Caruso’ s Boss . He has told me many times that I fit like a glove for this job. As I can’t argue, I must agree. My hands have their way with knives and guns. Never in my life have I tried anything else, so I believe this path that Franco sets in front of me is the one I should take wholeheartedly.

Amara… maybe she is the one. I can’t explain my attraction to her, but I can’t deny it either. She feels like a magnet. I can’t seem to take my eyes off her. Twisted behavior and uncovered mysteries. I will be the one to entangle her. From now on, she is mine.

The road is silent. After we arrive at his mansion, he takes me to his office. “It’s only a matter of time before Salvatore will grow horns again. I don’t want to leave him as a thorn in your ribs, so I think a marriage will keep him at bay.” Franco looks out the window at his wine yards, his frown visible.

He is talking about the boss of the Ferrari gang, Salvatore Ferrari, known for his activities in human trafficking and drugs. The Commission holds us in peace terms with each other, but he seems to forget about that every time he gets greedy. We live a peaceful life if it weren’t for him, who seems like a stray that enjoys stealing food in the daytime. Just for the sake of pestering us.

“Are you considering a girl for that?” As I stand propped on his desk, my eyes glance at the papers laid there. “You know he goes both ways…” I don’t care about his preferences, but I hope no girl experiences marriage with him.

“He still prefers women more.”

Poor girl. I don’t want to see what face the chosen girl will make when the news will reach her.

“Who is it?”

“It’s still undecided.” He looks at me and approaches with small steps. With a pat on my shoulder, he stares into my eyes. “I just want you to know that I am trying to eliminate any possible obstacle before your way. Now, go home.”

As if I need that. He is hiding the truth. I know he will never take longer than half an hour to decide something. I can’t shake the feeling that it has to do with my sisters. Father might have a part in this too.

“I’m going then.” I glance at his face again after closing the door. That frown is a bad omen. For me, I guess. My intuition is almost always right. Though I hope this time I am just being delusional.

The corridor sends me to the stairs, which lead me to the grand hall at the entrance of the mansion. The marble floors echo my steps.

This house was bought not long ago by him. The price was not cheap, of course. It is situated in Marsala, near the sea. The pond in front and the garden in the back are arranged nicely. Not to mention the vineyard covering the right-side field. I think it has at least 200 square meters.

It is good land, with vegetation growing well along with the grapes. Soon, he will have to make the wine. It is late August, after all.

Though this mansion is different. It is not like the apartment he had in the city. It is significantly bigger and… safer. The village is pretty far from it, and the silence of this region almost gives me chills. Although the forest and the nearby sea give me mixed feelings.

The reason he chose it was an unusual one. As a mafia boss, he is too much of a family man. Not that it is a bad thing, but it is hard to live with. It is an example of how he got extremely hurt when his wife and kid were killed by the Russian mafia a few years ago.

Retirement is supposed to give him a chance to build another life. That’s what he wants .

Sigh… I wonder if he will be able to do that. Buying the house is a good step for now. Though I hope he won’t transform into an isolated bachelor who drinks wine.

The mansion recedes as I press on the acceleration pedal. I want to get out of there. It feels too isolated and safe. My senses are going to get dull.

Franco can live his life how he wants. But I will never cry over someone who isn’t strong enough to stay by my side. My bride will have to protect herself when I am not around. So that both of us can live happily in the dangers of the city. She will be my partner in crime, a girl that can prove she can kill me. I will sleep much easier knowing that than knowing that she has to be protected 24/7.

Sadly weak people will never survive nor find happiness in our world.

After a few hours, I finally arrive in the city of Palermo, where he used to live, along with us. Damn him for making me drive this far. Marsala feels like the end of the earth. Well, it is the west end of Sicily, where Palermo is in the east of the island.

I park in front of my apartment. I take the car keys and lock the car. The elevator takes me to the second floor. The apartment isn’t too luxurious since I plan to move from here anyway.

It has a nice view of the city seen through the big glass windows. Two free rooms, an open space with a kitchen and living room, ultimately my bedroom. I toss my jacket on the couch placed in the living room and glance at the city. Hustling ….how i like it .

A sound catches my attention as I meditate for a moment. It is coming from my bedroom.

Who the hell breaks into my apartment? Now that I think, the room was unlocked. The door of my room is tossed open, and I point my gun at the intruder.

“Dam….” The feminine voice is heard from under my blanket. Short hair is visible as the girl sits Turkish. She rubs her eyes.

“Rosa. You could have called me.” I put my gun on the desk as I step inside. Her eyes are teary, and she looks tired. As one of my older sisters and one of the members of our family, Rosa doesn’t cry often.

Something must have happened. And it surely has to do with what dad might have said to her. “What happened?” I sit on the bed. She sniffs and places her face in her palms. I know she hates to be seen crying. That’s why she came here, to be alone.

She breathes deeply and wipes away tears that she fails to hold in. “I heard dad talking on the phone in the morning. He was talking to Franco.” Her trembling voice makes me stiffen.

I grit my teeth. Don’t tell me it’s what I think it is… “He said that I will marry Salvatore in two months.”

She looks into my eyes, and I feel my heart sinking.

0