[19] Family Bonding
381 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Piandao drank a cup of warm tea in silence, ruminating about the young man Ursa introduced to him. He watched as Zuko and the boy sparred, and the younger, more trained student of his was the one actually struggling.

Zuko’s every attack was either parried or blocked, and Nathan refused to take any opportunity to counter or strike back. In fact, he was actually lecturing Zuko on what he was doing wrong from his perspective.

“Your posture sometimes becomes unstable when you swing with your left arm, but that’s probably just because you’re right-handed. Am I wrong?” Nathan asked.

“You noticed? I’ve been practicing a lot, but it still feels weird to swing with my left arm,” Zuko said.

And from what he was hearing, Nathan seemed to be quite keen-eyed as well. That observation was accurate.

‘He’s a deep well of untapped potential…’ Piandao ultimately concluded.

While the swordmaster had taught talented students before, none could hold a candle to Nathan. The boy needed only one look before almost flawlessly demonstrating the same set of movements Piandao showed him. That was despite the fact that when first asked to show what little swordsmanship he knew of before, Nathan’s stance was full of flaws.

The feat surprised him so much that he was momentarily at a loss for words. When tasked with repeating the demonstration, the boy obliged, and somehow performed the same set of movements, but more refined. The improvements were so small that only a master would be able to spot them, but they were unmistakable nonetheless.

After beginning the formal lessons, the exact same thing repeated itself, so Piandao decided to skip the process of drilling the basic techniques that would normally be necessary for every student. Repetition was for those who struggled to grasp the essence of movement. Nathan, on the other hand, could mimic anything he could do after one look, understand the principles in the movement and their applications, and immediately improve upon any technique with further practice.

Instead, Piandao focused on teaching Nathan the principles of using the sword: balance, precision, flow, and adaptability. It would be the foundation for whatever style of swordsmanship he wanted to focus on. Following that, he had both his students spar to have them experience sword combat, but the difference in skill he was currently seeing was an issue.

“Master Piandao?”

Broken out of his musings, Piandao turned to the person who called for him and her companion.

“Ah, Lady Ursa and Lady Azula.”

“Greetings, Master Piandao,” Azula said, bowing in respect before going on to watch the boys spar.

“Hm? Nathan’s wielding a sword? I’m surprised,” Ursa said, spotting their spar. “Did you take him under your tutelage?”

“I did.” Piandao took a sip of his tea.

“How do you find him?” she asked.

“All I can say is that he surpassed my expectations,” he answered vaguely. “May I ask a question?”

“Of course.”

“Where does Nathan hail from?”

“That…” trailed off, seemingly reluctant.

His curiosity was piqued. He asked because Nathan did not look like a Fire Nation native with his grey eyes and silver-like hair. But what sort of origin did Nathan have for Lady Ursa to be reluctant to speak of it?

“You do not have to answer if you don’t wish to. I was merely curious,” he calmly said when he noticed Ursa’s deep hesitation.

Since Lady Ursa would not speak of it, he wouldn’t force her. His reason for asking really was just that—curiosity. He was hoping that knowing the young man’s origin might also explain the talent he possessed. There were groups of people in the world with incredible talents simply due to their place of origin or lineage. The Fire Nation Royal Family’s tendency to produce some of the most powerful firebenders in the world being an example.

“…Before I answer your question, will you answer mine first?” Ursa asked after a moment of silence.

“Of course. Please, sit.” Nodding, he gestured to the spot next to him. “What is your question?”

She breathed deeply, seemingly in preparation. “Have you ever heard of a person being turned into a meteor?” she spoke slowly.

“A person being turned into a meteor?” Piandao asked back with disbelief evident in his voice.

“Yes.”

“No, I can’t say I have.”

If he did, such an event would be shared among the others within the White Lotus.

“Is this related to Nathan’s origins?”

Ursa paused once more before continuing. “A few weeks back, Zuko said he saw a meteor heading in the direction of our house. Only, there was no meteorite after it crashed. We found Nathan instead.”

“Hmm. That’s certainly an outlandish course of events,” he answered with furrowed brows. “Does Nathan know how he ended up in that situation?”

“No,” she answered, shaking her head. “Some of his memories were missing as well. He couldn’t remember his parents or where he was from. He had even forgotten most of the language before I helped him remember. It was only during and after his fight with Ozai’s soldiers that his memories started to return.”

“Hm? He fought Ozai’s soldiers? For what reason?” he asked, raising an eyebrow in surprise. That detail caught him off guard.

“When he had returned from the palace, Ozai said he was going to force him out of the house for trespassing,” she said, squeezing the fingers of her hand with the other. “But Nathan pressed him with a wager. A three on one fight between him and the soldiers. His proposal was that if he won, he would become my children’s martial arts teacher with three times the standard payment and would be able to keep his room in the house. If he had lost, he would have to serve the royal family until his dying breath. Truthfully, I think he was bluffing back then—boys his age can be quite emotional. But now that I know him better… I’m not so certain he was. If he lost, he may have kept his promise.”

“He is a non-bender, correct?”

“Yes.”

“Hmm. Impressive for a non-bender,” he mumbled. Defeating three of the Imperial Firebenders was definitely possible for many skilled martial artists, but it would be no easy feat. “I’ve strayed the conversation, haven’t I? My apologies. Please, continue from before. You said his memories returned after the fight?”

She nodded. “And he’s slowly been recalling more and more of his past ever since.”

“Does he know what caused him to… turn into meteor?”

“That’s the issue. He said the last thing he saw before coming here was a flash of blue light in the forest.”

“A blue light in the forest?” He asked, contemplating to himself. “Perhaps it was a spirit that caused it.”

“You think so too?” she asked.

“Oh, yes. I’ve heard of many stories where a person suddenly goes missing for weeks, months—even years—before eventually returning unharmed and not knowing of the time that had passed. Nathan’s situation is a bit on the more absurd side, but it’s not too farfetched if a spirit was involved. Spirits do possess abilities and powers beyond our comprehension,” he said.

And Pakku’s own anecdote of the moon spirit giving the Northern Water Tribe Princess her white hair could also explain Nathan’s silver-like hair. He would have to ask the man for the specific details at a later time.

“He doesn’t seem to be too anxious about being away from his home. Even after retrieving his memories, does Nathan not want to leave and go back?” he asked.

“No. But he has his reasons. And to be frank, I’d like it if he stayed.”

“For what reason?”

Ursa smiled fondly as Azula barged between them, stealing Zuko’s wooden sword and joyfully chasing him around with it. Seeing this sight, Nathan sighed and held his head in exasperation before smiling with mischief and joining in, forcing the siblings to team up against him.

“Nathan’s presence in their lives has been great for my children. I’ve seen them laugh and smile more than ever before. And I find it wonderful that he likes to play games with them and tries to bring them together in ways… in ways I haven’t,” she said with tenderness, but Piandao sensed shame in her tone. “For the time being, I simply want him to remain and be involved in their lives. He’s helped our family more than he realises. And in a way… bonding with them is also helping him.”

Taking a sip of his tea, Piandao observed with a smile as Nathan theatrically fell to the ground while holding his stomach and faking a dramatic death.

Zuko and Azula each planted a foot on his chest, crossing their swords together and sharing victorious smiles.

Suddenly, Nathan’s eyes snapped open, and in one swift motion, he launched a surprise attack, tickling their sides when they least expected it. Dropping their swords, the siblings quickly succumbed to his playful attack, and their laughter and giggles echoed throughout the garden.

“Their sibling dynamic is certainly entertaining to watch,” Piandao finally said after the short silence. “And from what I can see, it already seems as if he’s part of your family. This may just be my opinion, but I think Nathan will be staying for the foreseeable future.”

A warm smile settled on Ursa’s face.

“I hope for that to be the case.”

-=-

A wide grin split Zuko’s face as he crouched to inspect his gift. “Woah, a kite! This is amazing, Nathan!”

Nathan relaxed after hearing his words. The first gift he planned on giving seemed to have been received well.

Spread on the ground lay a vibrant red kite, the Fire Nation insignia proudly stitched onto its belly. A fiery tail, a mix of red and orange strips was added on top to enhance its appearance. Making the kite, from learning to sew to figuring out the design, had been a small challenge, but seeing the joy on Zuko’s face made it all worth it.

“I’ve never flown one before,” Zuko said, his eyes sparkling with anticipation. “Can we try it now?”

Nathan chuckled, gesturing for Zuko to follow him outside. “Of course, buddy. Come on, I’ll teach you how.”

Outside, Nathan patiently guided Zuko on how to deploy the kite.

The garden, bathed in warm sunlight, seemed like the perfect spot. Nathan patiently explained how to hold the kite, the string taut in his grip. “...Remember to go against the wind,” he cautioned as Zuko lifted his hand, searching for a nonexistent breeze.

Disappointment clouded Zuko’s face. “There’s no wind. Does that mean we can’t use it?”

A brief worry flickered across Nathan’s eyes. The crater walls, while offering protection, did shield them from strong winds. But giving up wasn’t an option. He scanned his surroundings, then with a subtle focus, willed a gentle current of air to flow through the garden.

“Wait! I feel wind now!” Zuko exclaimed, his disappointment replaced by pure joy.

With a whoop of glee, he took off running; the kite soaring majestically behind him.

“Don’t let it get too high,” Nathan advised, a smile on his face.

Zuko’s eyes, glued to the kite dancing in the airbending wind, replied with an enthusiastic, “Okay!”

A rustle in the nearby bushes caught Nathan’s attention. Azula stood there, her usual stoic expression masking a flicker of... was it jealousy? He waved her over. “Hey Azula, why don’t you join us?”

She approached slowly, her gaze fixed on the kite. A moment of silence stretched between them. Finally, Nathan, guessing her unspoken desire, offered, “I can make you one too, you know.”

Azula’s lips pressed into a thin line. “Honestly, I find the idea… childish.”

Nathan shrugged playfully. “Suit yourself. More fun for Zuko then.”

A barely perceptible grumble escaped Azula’s lips, followed by a well-aimed stomp on Nathan’s foot.

“Ow!” he yelped, rubbing his foot dramatically.

Azula looked away, a hint of a smirk playing on her lips. “Hmph,” she scoffed, crossing her arms.

Knowing better than to push it, Nathan chuckled. “Alright, alright, Princess. Your wish is granted.” He reached out a hand to pat her head, a gesture he hadn’t given since that time they discussed in the garden.

Azula, predictably, looked at him from under his hand with a frown. “What are you doing?” she slowly asked.

“Just showing some love,” Nathan replied with a playful wink. “Don’t worry, I can stop if you hate it that much.”

“... Fine. I’ll allow it,” she mumbled, turning away with a swift flick of her hair.

As he returned to patting her head, a barely perceptible twitch at the corner of her lips betrayed a hint of a smile as she turned away to watch Zuko.

‘It’s nice to see her express her real emotions and accept gestures of affection more than before,’ Nathan thought with some relief.

Later that night, Nathan made Zuko his favorite meal as a second birthday gift—Roasted Sea Parrot with Plums. It was a bizarre dish to cook at first, especially after seeing what a sea parrot looked like, but it surprisingly tasted better than roasted chicken.

Ozai was, of course, present at the table. But the man ignored him, as usual. It seemed he had opted to ignore Nathan’s presence ever since the wager, and Nathan was more than fine with the current arrangement.

Though it did irk Nathan that the man wouldn’t even greet his son a simple happy birthday.

-=-

The day of Azula’s birthday soon came after, and at noon, Nathan wrapped a blindfold around her eyes before walking her to the garden.

“Here we are, princess. Prepare to be… mildly surprised,” he dramatically whispered.

Azula scoffed. “About time. Don’t tell me you got lost picking wildflowers for my esteemed presence.”

“Wildflowers?” he asked, feigning offense. “Please, Azula, I wouldn’t insult your intellect with something so basic. Besides, have you ever seen me pick flowers?”

Azula took the playful jab in stride. “Hmm, good point. Unless you somehow knew firebending just to impress me. Now that would be a truly unexpected gift.”

Nathan almost faltered in his steps.

“In your dreams, pipsqueak. But hey, maybe next year. Oh, would you look at that? We’re here,” he said, holding her shoulders in place. “You ready?”

“Let’s just get this over with already,” Azula said, sighing, but he had spent enough time with her to notice the excitement in her voice and body language.

“It’s not as fun as Zuko’s, but I think you’ll like it. Now, hold still. Big reveal coming up in 3... 2... 1...”

In one quick motion, Nathan removed the blindfold and stepped in front of Azula. “Voila! I present to you the first strategy board game made by yours truly, Chess! And a Chess tutor on top!” he announced, dramatically gesturing towards Ursa standing beside a chess board set atop a low table underneath a tree’s shade.

“Mom…?”

An affectionate smile graced Ursa’s lips as she enveloped a stunned Azula in her arms. “Happy Birthday, dear. I know you’d rather have a gift like Zuko’s, but I pitched in on Nathan’s birthday gift because I wanted to spend time with you.”

Azula promptly looked over at Nathan, who was giving her a bright smile and two thumbs-ups of encouragement. “Well, I have to help the cooks prepare for the feast for tonight, so I will now promptly take my leave. Enjoy the game!” he said before taking off.

-=-

Warmth bloomed in Azula’s chest as her mother enveloped her in a hug. A pang of longing shot through her as she realized how long it had been since they’d shared such a quiet, tender moment.

Ursa began the chess lesson, explaining each piece’s movement. “The pawns typically move one tile forward, but from their starting positions...”

Azula listened intently, a wave of nostalgia washing over her. This felt like a lifetime ago, a time when her world wasn’t consumed by her ambition and desire for approval.

A gradual realization struck her. She looked up at her mother, finally ready to face the truth she’d been clinging to for so long. Her mother loved her. When had Azula started doubting that?

Perhaps it was her own warped perception, fueled by her father’s constant lessons. Her father valued power and control above all else, dismissing love as a weakness, and she could understand why he would believe that. Yet Azula wasn’t sure if these doubts stemmed solely from her own insecurities or if her father’s teachings had subtly poisoned her view.

Regardless, one thing was crystal clear now: her mother’s love was real. That was all that mattered at this moment.

“Can you repeat what you said about the horse piece, Mom?” Azula asked, reaching out to gently hold her mother’s hand.

“Of course, dear,” Ursa replied, her warm voice filled with affection as she placed her lips on Azula’s head and gently caressed her.

-=-

Peeking from a discrete spot, relief surged through Nathan as he watched Ursa and Azula bond. He felt a sense of accomplishment knowing that his actions have caused pleasant changes to happen for their family.

And yet… why did the sight of them being happy create a small ache in his heart?

‘I should meditate on this.’

There were things higher on his list of priorities. Preparing for the future being one of them, and helping Ursa’s family—excluding Ozai—was just the start of that goal.

Nathan knew this idyllic life of theirs wouldn’t last forever. Something was bound to happen sooner or later.

And outside the Fire Nation, another war was happening. One that he planned to end sooner than destiny intended.

-=-

Spring 94 AG

Colonel Mongke, his black and red cavalry armor gleaming under the flickering torchlight, entered Ozai’s chambers with a rigid salute. The air hung heavy with a scent of burning incense and unspoken tension.

“Colonel Mongke,” Ozai greeted, his voice cold and laced with a hint of amusement. “Reports of your cavalry’s... success under my brother’s command has reached my ears. Gruesome results indeed, from what I hear. Your komodo rhino riders have quite a reputation.”

Mongke swallowed hard, the weight of the prince’s golden gaze heavy on him. “We are but loyal instruments of the Fire Nation’s will, Your Highness.”

Ozai folded his hands together, leaning forward with a predatory glint in his eyes. “Loyalty. An admirable trait. In that case, Colonel, I have a mission for your group. A mission of utmost importance for the Fire Nation’s future. Do you accept?”

“I—” Mongke faltered, caught off guard by the sudden gravity of the situation. “Of course, Your Highness. It would be an honor to serve you.”

A cruel smile played on Ozai’s lips as he turned his gaze towards the balcony, where laughter drifted in from the courtyard below. Azula and Zuko sparred with the young non-bender under the watchful eye of their mother.

“Eliminate the Fire Nation’s most dangerous spy,” Ozai declared, his voice dropping to a chilling whisper. “Someone who has wormed their way into the heart of my own home.”

Mongke’s blood ran cold. A spy? Within the Fire Nation’s secure walls? He straightened his back, hiding his shock. “Consider it done, Your Highness.”

“Excellent. Within a few days, a scroll will arrive at your doors, filled with additional details for your perusal. Do keep an eye out for it,” Ozai said. "You are dismissed.”

The weight of the mission settled on Mongke’s shoulders. He saluted once more, the image of the carefree children and Ozai’s shadowed face burned into his memory. He left the room, his thoughts fixated on who the spy could be.

This was supposed to be split into two chapters, but fuck it. I'm itching for some action.

26