[20] A Farewell, a Mission, and a Doubt
408 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Spring 95 AG

“Thank you for all your lessons, Master Piandao,” Nathan said, saluting with deep respect. Two and a half years under the swordmaster’s tutelage had flown by, and the thought of his master finally leaving left a bittersweet feeling in his chest.

Piandao smiled, the lines around his eyes crinkling. “No, the thanks goes to you, young man. You’ve pushed me in these past years, given this old warrior a run for his money. And something tells me you won’t stop growing.”

Nathan shook his head, a touch of humility stinging his pride. “I still have a long way to go. My techniques are satisfactory and we’re almost even in a spar, but my combat experience pales in comparison to yours.”

Piandao chuckled, his hand landing firmly on Nathan’s shoulder. “That’s the spirit! Stay hungry, stay curious. True mastery lies not in perfection, but in the constant pursuit of it. Stagnation is the enemy, young friend.” His eyes twinkled with a hint of mischief. “So, would you like to tempt fate and challenge me to another duel before I leave?”

Nathan’s lips curved into a smile. “Perhaps next time, Master Piandao. Perhaps next time.”

The unspoken promise hung in the air.

“Wise choice,” Piandao said with a hearty laugh. “Now, about Ursa and those two firecrackers... You’re going to have to give them my farewell. It seems they had a private matter to attend to. ‘Til next time, Nathan.”

Nathan nodded. “I will. Travel safely, master.”

As Piandao walked to the exit, he left a last remark. “If you ever need help with anything, you know where to find me.”

Watching his master finally step through the gates, Nathan sighed. ‘Time to continue my training, like always.’

-=-

Hours later, Nathan quietly meditated near the garden’s pond and practiced his ability to sense the presence of the elements. It was like a sixth sense that completely relied on his ability to “feel” with his chi, and he had refined it to expert levels over the years. At the same time, he trained his seismic sense—an ability he learned months after he first started psychic bending. It was why he knew about the female servant currently approaching him.

“Is there something you need from me, Iyori?” he asked as she neared, opening his eyes.

“Prince Ozai requires your presence, Nathan. He said it was quite urgent,” she said with clear worry for him.

‘Ozai wants to see me? Hmm. I guess I’ll have to go see what this is about.’

A short moment later, Nathan arrived in Ozai’s office chamber and bowed.

“Greetings, Prince Ozai. You requested my presence?”

“Nathan,” Ozai said, nodding his head in greeting. “My apologies for disturbing your meditation, but I have an important task for you. The lives of Zuko and Azula are at stake.”

Nathan’s face creased with worry, his brows furrowing into a deep frown.

“My informants in the Earth Kingdom have told me of spies intending to infiltrate the Fire Nation Capital and eliminate the Fire Lord’s descendants,” Ozai elaborated. “That includes my family.”

“Do you want me to find them and take care of them? Don’t you have ships patrolling Fire Nation waters that could do that?”

“That would normally be the case. Unfortunately, we have our forces spread thin because of the war in Ba Sing Se reaching its climax, and they found an opening in our defenses, allowing them to slip through. The Fire Nation can’t afford to lose the initiative when it’s so close to victory, so sending you is one of my only options remaining. I have thought of hiring mercenaries, but I trust your skill in combat more than any unknown warrior."

Ozai's eyes narrowed threateningly. "But regardless of those factors, remember that you are obligated to guard my children at all costs, just as we agreed in our wager. You are honor-bound to uphold your end of the deal.”

‘This sounds fishy. Is this why he included that last clause? To send me on a possible death quest?’ Nathan thought, his caution growing. ‘Is the Fire Nation really as spread thin as he says it is? Also, he said he was sorry for disturbing my meditation, and now he’s complimenting me. The only time he does this is when he’s manipulating someone for his own gain. Question is—what is he gaining from this? News of Iroh’s retreat hasn’t arrived yet, but it should only be a matter of time. Is this somehow related to that? The timing is a bit suspicious.’

“Where do I even start finding them?” Nathan asked, deciding to see where this would lead. “I’m not skilled enough to track them down.”

“There’s no need to search. I’ve already had my best men locate their most likely location,” Ozai said, grabbing a scroll from underneath his table and placing it in front of Nathan. “On that scroll is all the information we’ve gathered.”

Nathan carefully unrolled the scroll, his eyes scanning each word as he absorbed the information. It had an illustration of the Fire Nation Islands. One particular island north of Ember Island was circled with ink. Below it was a list of other miscellaneous details.

“There is a boat waiting for you near the harbor. They’ll lead you to the island on the map. Accompanying you will be a squad of Fire Nation soldiers from one of our fleets.”

“Wait…” Nathan raised his head in surprise. “You want me to leave now?”

“Of course. This task is of the utmost importance. These spies cannot be allowed to proceed any further. You must not waste time and should proceed to the harbor post-haste. And don’t worry about compensation. Completing this mission will earn you a generous reward of one hundred gold pieces. Now, do you have questions?”

‘I do, but they’re questions you would never answer,’ Nathan thought to himself as he shook his head.

“Then you’re dismissed,” Ozai curtly said as he returned to reading his documents.

-=-

Inside his room, Nathan gathered his things for the possibly long trip. This included a brown cloak and a bamboo hat he bought the last time he went to Harbor City because of how much attention he received from people. Clothing of this kind wouldn’t be an uncommon sight for travelers nowadays, especially with how hot the days were during spring.

“Nathan?”

Nathan turned around in surprise. Completely engrossed in his own thoughts and contemplating Ozai’s possible schemes, he failed to notice her approaching.

“Oh. Hey Ursa,” Nathan quickly greeted before getting back to his preparation.

“Are you going somewhere?” she asked as she stood beside him and looked at the assortment of items on his bed.

“Ozai gave me an urgent mission. I have to get to the harbor in a few hours.”

“What… What kind of mission did he give you?” Ursa asked, worry evident in her voice.

Nathan told Ursa a summarized version of what Ozai told him.

“Oh, my… Will you be alright all by yourself?” Ursa laid a hand on his shoulder.

“I’ll be fine,” he said with a reassuring smile. “You know I can handle myself.”

“You’re right. It’s just—I just can’t help but worry.”

“No need to worry. Besides, who will want to fight me when I’m this big?” he jokingly said, flexing his impressive biceps.

Covering her mouth with her sleeve, Ursa chuckled at his display. “You certainly have changed since we first met. You’re quite taller than Ozai now.”

He shrugged. “What can I say? I’m a growing boy.”

His rate of growth really did surprise him, though, since he was pretty sure his parents’ genes weren’t this good. After a year, he grew more than a few inches in height, and he hadn’t stopped growing since. An accurate estimate for his current height would be approximately six feet and five inches (195cm), surpassing his old height of five feet and five inches (165cm) by an enormous margin. He also recently had to start shaving his face because of how quickly his facial hair grew.

As always, Nathan attributed this development to the super soldier serum, thinking it must have a large effect on someone going through puberty.

“Do you need anything for your trip?” she asked.

“Nope. This is all I’m bringing,” he said, gesturing to his lightly filled bag. “I am bringing my money with me, though. Who knows what’ll happen to it if I just leave it in my room unguarded? Azula and Zuko will try hiding it from me again.” Nathan chuckled while recalling the memory.

“Most likely,” Ursa chuckled along.

Done preparing, Nathan wore the cloak and put on his bag. The money pouch hung securely on his hip, tightly fastened to his sash with a string.

“I’ll be leaving now. Say hi to Azula and Zuko for me,” he said, holding his bamboo hat. “Oh, and remind them to keep training the new drills I taught them.”

Smiling motherly, Ursa bade him goodbye, giving him a brief hug. “I will. Take care of yourself, Nathan.”

-=-

Minutes later, Nathan left the Hari Bulkan, where most of the noblemen and high-ranking officers lived, and went down to Harbor City, the small town below.

‘I like the harbor more than the squeaky clean place up there. At least it’s lively,’ he thought as the salty tang of the ocean mingled with the smell of fish, spices, and burning coal.

Since Harbor City was where most of the lower-class Fire Nation citizens lived, almost none of the people he could see dressed in fancy clothes or wore eye-catching accessories. Here, the air thrummed with a different kind of energy compared to the stoic Hari Bulkan. Narrow, cobbled streets snaked their way between tightly packed buildings. The sounds of hammering on ship repairs, hawker calls, and boisterous laughter filled the air.

The air was thick with the smell of roasted meats and bubbling stews wafting from bustling taverns. Tucked away in quieter corners, tea shops offer a more serene atmosphere. Patrons sipped fragrant jasmine tea and engaged in philosophical discussions or heated debates about the war effort. And it was clear sailors and merchants gathered here to share stories, gamble, and unwind after a long day.

The lifeblood of Harbor City was its massive docks. Here, a diverse array of ships came and went, from sleek Fire Nation warships to clunky merchant vessels ladened with cargo. Dockworkers with calloused hands and booming voices loaded and unloaded cargo, their rhythmic chants echoing through the harbor. Shipwrights hammered away in bustling workshops, constructing new vessels and repairing battle-scarred ships.

Peeking from under his bamboo hat, Nathan could see the merchants hawking their wares—exotic fish, silk fabrics, and gleaming weapons forged by Fire Nation smiths. A particular weapons shop caught his eye, and he approached the merchant manning it.

“Welcome, customer! We only have the finest weapons here,” the merchant said, his voice filled with pride.

‘Maybe I could get a sword… I don’t need one, but having one is better than not having one when I might need it. Should probably get some throwing knives for ranged encounters, too.’

“I’m looking for a good-quality sword that’ll last a few years and a set of throwing knives. Do you have those?” he asked as he inspected one of the swords on display.

“Hmm. I think I’ve got what you’re looking for,” he proclaimed, going to a room in the back. “Give me one moment.”

A moment later, the merchant returned with a sheathed Jian and a bundle of cloth. “This steel sword was forged by a blacksmith in Shu Jing, the home of Piandao,” he said dramatically, placing the sword on the table and unrolled the bundle of cloth, revealing six throwing knives tucked inside. “And this is a set of top-quality throwing knives I acquired in the Earth Kingdom.”

Nathan examined the intricate engravings on the hilt and the sharpness of the double-edged sword. As part of his training with Piandao, he learned the intricacies of bladesmithing and how to assess the craftsmanship of a blade.

‘It seems decent. Not anything close to the swords Piandao makes, but it’ll do.’

He studied the throwing knives next, tossing one of them up and down as he tested its weight distribution.

“How much for the sword and the knives?”

“I’ll part with the sword for five gold pieces and the throwing knives set for two gold pieces. I’ll even throw in a belt to put the throwing knives in. Nobody really looks for these, so they’ve been sitting in the back for quite a while. You’ll be saving me a lot of trouble by buying them.”

‘At least he’s not trying to scam me.’ He had asked Piandao for the standard prices of weapons a few months ago out of curiosity. ‘If he said something like ten gold pieces instead, I would’ve just left.’

“I’ll take it,” Nathan said, but just as he went for his pouch, a calloused hand slammed down on the sword.

“Sorry, pal, but I’ll be taking this.”

Annoyed by the interruption, Nathan stared at the rough-looking, bearded soldier smirking at him with mocking eyes. The man was flanked by four men of similar size, their hands resting on their weapons.

“Taroh, what do you think you’re doing? You’re not welcome here, so get lost!” the merchant barked in anger, folding his arms. “Why are you even here? Aren’t you supposed to be patrolling the border?”

Hearing those words, Nathan’s eyes slightly narrowed in thought.

“I’m here because our squad got a special assignment, but nevermind that. Can’t you just give me this sword? We’re friends, aren’t we? We’ve known each other for years!” Taroh asked in an overly friendly tone. “Don’t tell me you’re still mad about that time we had some fun with your Earth Kingdom bitch. That was years ago. Give it a rest.”

“Give it a rest?” The merchant grimaced with a clenched jaw. “You scumbags… You should be ashamed to call yourselves soldiers of the Fire Nation!”

Letting out a chuckle, Taroh shook his head. “Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, old man. Thanks for the swo—hm?” he paused, feeling Nathan’s grip on his wrist. “Well, well, well… Look at this, boys. We’ve got a feisty one over here. You don’t know who we are, do you, cloaked stranger? Attempting to steal from a soldier will land you in prison.”

Nathan’s calm demeanor didn’t waver as he looked down and locked eyes with the person before him. He reined in his displeasure at their words. He already decided to get the sword, and to be frank, this guy sounded like complete scum based on the implications of their conversation.

“I don’t want a fight, but I’m buying this sword whether you like it or not. Let go. Now.”

The group of soldiers burst into laughter as if they heard the funniest thing in the world, doubling over and attracting the attention of bystanders.

In the middle of his boisterous laugh, Taroh abruptly throws a punch at Nathan’s stomach, only to have Nathan swiftly catch his fist and shoot him a disapproving look. Caught in surprise, the soldier tried to pull his fist away, but Nathan’s hand was an iron clamp that wouldn’t budge.

“Really? A sucker punch? You’re a rat,” Nathan scoffed before he strengthened his grip. Dropping the sword and getting on his knees, Taroh’s pained scream accompanied the sickening crunches from his hand, audible to everyone around. “You scream like one, too.”

“Aah! Stop! STOP!”

Nathan promptly let go.

“That fucking hurt!” Taroh stepped back, staring at and clutching his mangled, crushed hand. “Shit! The fuck did you do to my hand?!”

“Ah, my bad,” Nathan apologised in a flat tone, with barely a change in his expression. He glanced at the hand he used before picking up the sword. “If you want me to, I can make your other hand match your broken one. I have a bit of an obsession with symmetry, you see.”

Taroh glared at his friends, all of whom were looking at his hand in shock. “What are you all doing?! Get him!”

“I don’t recommend that course of action,” Nathan advised strongly, grabbing their attention. He let his entire right arm peek out of his cloak, revealing the dense musculature underneath. He spoke slowly as he clenched his fist and flexed his arm muscles, spelling out his intent in every word he said. “Leave now, and your bodies won’t end up like his hand. Stay, and I’ll make sure every one of your faces will look like crushed bone pie.”

Staring at his arm, nervous sweat poured down their faces. Their hands shook and Nathan watched as they weighed the decision in their minds while glancing at Taroh’s hand. Eventually, one person took a step beck, and another, and another, until every one of them followed and fled the area without turning back.

“Hey! What the hell are you guys doing?! He’s just one guy!”

Left behind, Taroh looked at his fleeing friends in disbelief and glared at Nathan, hatred spewing from his eyes.

“You better pray I don’t see you again in the future,” Taroh warned with gritted teeth before running away in defeat.

“If we do, it’ll be your legs next,” Nathan murmured, staring at the man’s back, and sighed in relief. He was glad it didn’t devolve into a group fight. He knew from experience how messy a group fight could become, and it would’ve been worse with weapons involved.

He also had a feeling this wouldn’t be the last time they’ll meet.

“That was… unbelievable.”

Nathan turned to the wide-eyed merchant and raised the sword. “Here.”

“No, no! You can have it, free of charge. I insist,” the merchant happily said, holding a hand to his chest. “I could have never done that to Taroh and his group myself, so seeing them in that state is an extremely cathartic experience.”

“No, taking it for free wouldn’t be fair to you. After all, you have a business to maintain,” Nathan said, shaking his head and retrieving the five gold pieces from his pouch. “Here, I’ll just pay the five gold pieces for the throwing knives and the belt.”

Surprise washed over the merchant like a wave, and he immediately lowered his head in a respectful bow, his hands firmly gripping the money. “Thank you, dear customer. I’ll never forget this generosity you’ve given me.”

“So, about that belt…”

“Of course, of course. Please stay here while I get the belt from the back.”

After the transaction finished, Nathan equipped everything and hung the sword on his sash before giving the merchant a farewell.

It was time to look for the ship waiting for him.

22