Chapter 33: Ambushed from the Grasses
2k 3 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Halfway along the journey to the Tenth Layer, Yang Yang felt a change in gravity, which had suddenly reversed when everyone had reached the midpoint. He could sense fluctuations in space around the midpoint like feeling the ripples of a water surface. 

 

“The next nine layers are different in the way that you actually ascend the layers. Now that we entered reached the transitioning spot, gravity had shifted because these layers are in another independent space.” 

 

Yang Yang nodded. It did not take too long before he saw light at the end of the pathway. The warship adjusted itself again and he closed his eyes when the light became harsher. He opened his eyes and gazed at the amazing, new world around him. 

 

A beautiful, lush, green grassland as far as the eye could see. A soft wind blew across the grass and made them danced. The clouds hung high in the sky along with a burning sun. A vibrant blue dyed the sky. The Tenth Layer was just like any grassland in the Ivory Continent. 

 

Yet, there were very few other lifeforms here. 

 

“Junior Brother Yang, the Tenth Layer is relatively empty since everything had been ransacked over the ages by the Sacred Cult, Arcane Temple, and outsider magi. This place was rumored to be a forest, but now the only things left are the grasses and some leftovers. The many animals that once lived here retreated to the lower layers where it is much more difficult to catch them. This layer is also known as the Arcane Grassland,” Fifth Brother Lance explained. 

 

Yang Yang stared ahead and could sense traces of death aura here. He concentrated harder and could tell that bountiful wildlife had once existed in the Arcane Grassland. Towering trees and boundless beasts had lived among the lushes, but now, almost everything was gone. 

 

“So much land, yet no one chose to occupy it?” Yang Yang asked. He was sadden by the waste of resources. 

 

“The Arcane Temple technically own this place, but that is just to mainly control the access between the Ninth and Tenth Layer. In truth, the Arcane Temple control most of the land, but the Sacred Cult occupy a good portion as well. Come, Junior Brother Yang. It is best that we go now before the Greenland Guardians come here.” 

 

“The what?” 

 

“The Grassland Guardians; they are living manifestations of the Arcane Grassland. They protect this place and lay dormant most of the the time, but are incredibly strong. One isn’t too hard to defeat, but they usually come in a group of dozens. Over the years of constant assault, the Arcane Grassland had to adapt to the changes so these vegetable giants now attack like a flock of pigeons. They attack anyone and anything that did not originate here, so almost everything in existence. As long as you don't go too wild with your magical power, these giants will not wake up.” 

 

Yang Yang stared at the grassland and pondered. He could also sense certain areas of the grassland with denser magical power that others.“Why do they lay dormant?” 

 

“Mainly to conserve energy. Now come on, onto the Arcane Mountain Ranges we go. That’s where the fun really begins.” The legacy students traveled eastward and he followed them. 

 

“Tch!” Suddenly, he felt a sharp pain on his left wrist. The red tattoo glowed brightly like lava. 

 

“Lord Yang, are you okay?” The Bone Squad on the warship beside his turned around when they heard a hissing sound, as though someone was scalded.

 

Yang Yang placed his left hand behind his back. “Nothing. Just proceed.” 

 

He returned into his warship’s main cabin and let out a painful moan. “What the hell is going on now? This has never happened before! Damn this demon magic...” 

 

He knelt on the floor and his magical power ran wild. Not even his Life Magic or Flame of Purity could ease the pain of Everlasting Insanity; his sea of consciousness quaked with madness and rage. Without meaning to, he let out a ripple of his divine will. It entered the Arcane Grassland and connected to its essence. Rumbling sounds could be heard underneath the grasses as though an ancient beast was waking from its slumber. 

 

......

 

"Next up is the Arcane Mountain Ranges. I already reported to the other guys, and they said to come close to the portals. Those guys are preparing to hide somewhere in the grasses." Second Brother Rain placed away his message talisman. 

 

"Good. Second Brother Rain, Third Brother Wu, and Sixth Sister Blue; you three will prepare the Day-Locking Night-Sealing Formation for those two warships. Fourth Sister Su and Fifth Brother Lance will support Seventh Sister Jade with her Soul Charming Spell. The best way to let him drop his guard is with a honey-trap. Got it?" 

 

Seventh Sister Jade, with a blushed face, stood up. "Honey-trap!? You don't actually intend for me to actually service him, right?" 

 

Eldest Brother Yang laughed heartily. "Hell no! However, all men have always been swayed by great beauty, and there's no way this brat who hasn't even tasted a woman can resist someone like you who possess the Rank 5 Soul Charmer Grimoire. Just go to him with the additional magical powers of Fourth Sister Su and Fifth Brother Lance. Your Soul Charming Spell will absolutely bust his brains." 

 

He reached out to her and pulled her close to him. "Besides, you are mine. No way would I allow a peasant lay his dirty hands on you." 

 

Evil intent spread across Eldest Brother Yang's eyes and words as he looked at his junior sister, and then released her. Seventh Sister Jade giggled in response. She made a few hand gestures and a pink talisman appeared between her hands. It flickered with lovely lights and alluring radiance. 

 

Her senior brother and sister put their hands on her back and channeled magical power into her. The other three legacy students formed a triangle formation and began chanting ancient syllables and words to a form a black-and-white spell formation.

 

Eldest Brother Yang relaxed on a chair and steered the warship calmly. Although a small smile was plastered on his face, worrying thoughts surfaced in his mind. 

 

"That Yang brat is too suspicious and talked very little. Sixteen years old and already a Virtual Aspect magus at the seventh-step. Someone like him is far too precious to the royal institute; they shouldn't have allowed him to travel to a forbidden zone. With that kind of talent, he's probably a disciple of a Heavenly Deva as well."

 

"Could it be that he's the disciple of the House Lord, and decided to take the name? I refuse to believe that he's not somehow related to the House of Yang. Whatever the case, he is serious competition. Better get of rid him before he grows to my level and-" 

 

Boom! Boom! Boom! 

 

The Arcane Grassland gave three mighty rumbles. The shock wave from below traveled upward and struck the ship as well. Eldest Brother Yang quickly activated the warship's spell formations to ease the vibration. 

 

"What in the-" He was once again cut off by the Arcane Grassland. In the distance, the grasses of the Arcane Grassland grew to extreme heights. When the grasses reached ten kilometers into the sky, they expanded and morphed into a green, humanoid monstrosity. 

 

Two arms that were as thick as hills. Two legs that were as large as mountains. Fingers and toes as wide as trees. A head that was a big as meteorite with hollowed eye sockets that only contained red lights that beamed with menace and wrath. 

 

Eldest Brother Yang was about to speak again, but then, dozens of other green giants appeared from the ground. Each were as large as the first giant. 

 

They were unexpectedly ambushed by the Grassland Guardians!

 

44