18. Christmas Night pt. 1
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Twenty-fourth of December. The day we celebrate the day he came to the earth. For many, it’s one of the most important days of the year. Celebrating it with a family, offering prayers, and sharing meals with each other, being kind to one another. It also is one of the coldest times of the year. Many poor people aren’t able to survive that time. Since they are focusing on surviving rather than praying they die with souls full of sins. When that happens, the souls go to the afterlife but the sins separate and create a shadow. 

 

That’s the reason why it’s the time of the year when all the exorcists have more work than usual. Normally there are more weak shadows but Theo knows that something frightening will come to Paris. Frightening enough that he called for the help of three other executioners. 

 

“Senzi! Senzi! It’s time to…” Shouted Theo as he entered Senzi’s room but he wasn’t in the bed. “He’s already awake? No… They said he hadn’t come for breakfast yet…” 

 

He heard a *meow* in the room. Theo picked up the blanket at saw a half-black half-white cat lying in Senzi’s bed. He wanted to get the cat away from the bed but then it came back to him. Because of the lack of sleep, the information came a bit late. 

 

“Senzi… Is that you?” He said as he poked the cat.

 

The cat woke up, walked around the bed, and stretched. It looked at Theo and opened its mouth. “Good morning master!” The cat spoke with Senzi’s voice. “When did you grow so tall, master?”

 

“Quiet opposite… You grew smaller.” 

 

“That was so mean master! I’m young and still growing…” 

 

“That’s not what I meant. Look down.”

 

The cat looked down and watched the movement of its paws for a second then jumped in place. He ran around screaming “What happened to me!”

 

“Apparently you became a cat.”

 

“But I don’t want to be a cat! Please turn me into a human!”

 

“I don’t know how. But it is possible. In the forest, you turned into yourself for a moment. You changed somehow again while you were sleeping. Maybe there is a way to control it.”

 

“But I don’t know how!” Said Senzi as he looked at Theo with his big cat eyes. 

 

“Let’s eat breakfast and come up with something in the meantime.”

 

They sat in the canteen and ate their breakfast. Senzi was standing on the table and eating meat from the plate. Someone else entered the canteen and with it, a cold wind entered the room for a brief moment. Because of that Senzi sneezed and somehow changed back into a human. 

 

“Why is Senzi eating on the table… On knees?” Asked Leo.

 

Senzi sneezed again and changed into a cat. He was happy for a second he was a human. Once again he had a sad face. At least he now knows that it’s possible to turn back into a human. 

 

“That’s why… At least we know it is for sure possible to change back into a human… and into a cat too.” Said Theo.

 

“Looks like a new power. Or I should say a spell. Since it’s not connected to any gods I know.” Said Leo. 

 

“What do you mean, mister Leo?” Asked Senzi.

 

“Theo didn’t teach you that?” 

 

“I didn’t deem it necessary.” Explained Theo.

 

“Okay… Then let me teach you this. There are different kinds of powers. The ones that are imbued into certain items that we call artifacts and holly weapons. Then there are powers we got from god or used by praying to him or them. Last are what we call spells. They aren’t bound to any gods. While you learn the prayers for powers the spells aren’t easy to obtain. I don’t know any spells and Theo possibly too. My brother does know one spell. But he wants to keep it a secret.”

 

“Wow! I have a unique spell!” Senzi’s face changed from sad to happy and excited.

 

“So you think it’s a spell?” Asked Theo.

 

“Probably. The rabbit was a necromancer. So he knew spells. He probably cast some kind of spell on Senzi but it looks like he turned it into his own spell. That’s the only explanation I came up with.”

 

“Better lead than nothing I guess… Maybe Noah can tell you more about spells if he knows one.” Said Theo.

 

“I don’t think it will help.”

 

“Why is that?” Asked Senzi as his excitement was stopped by Leo’s words.

 

“It might relate to the type of spells. Yours is like shapeshifting and from what he told me his is like an area attack. Knowing him he will just tell it’s work differently and go to sleep. So you have to figure it out on your own.”

 

“I don’t think my power is activated by sneezing. After all, I changed once without doing it.” Said Senzi.

 

“Maybe Snezing makes you change on reflex. Try to recollect that feeling while sneezing and it might help.” Explained Theo. 

 

“Okay… I’ll try…” 

 

Senzi’s face changed expressions a few times. He was trying to repeat that feeling without sneezing and he found out. Senzi once again looked like a human. 

 

“That was a weird feeling… Like popping a balloon but inside my throat…” Explained Senzi. “Hey! Now that I remember! What happened to that girl? From the forest?”

 

“The one who was a target of that rabbit? She didn’t want to go to the orphanage. Then we offered her a place at a monastery where sisters would take care of her. She accepted that offer and is currently on her way to Lyon.” 

 

“Oh. That’s good to hear.”

 

“Now then. Let’s check the Eiffel Tower. We don’t want anything happening to our ritual.” Said Theo. 

0