Chapter 3
18 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Riding inside the truck with everyone else, Nate was nervous and vigilant the whole time. He did not know what could happen in the next second. It seemed like they had driven quite a long time before the bumpy road changed to a smooth one.

Soon, they seemed to enter a tunnel as the sounds outside became different. The whole time, Nate saw nothing outside as there were no windows. He could only observe the other people in black robes.

What was surprising was that no one spoke, just riding in silence.

Finally, the truck slowly started to slow down, turning this way and that before finally stopping. Footsteps were heard, after which the truck doors opened.

It was Aryos.

"Get out, I will tell you soon what to do, and no noise," he said, walking to the side.

The people in black robes quickly got out, followed by Nate. Stepping outside, run-down streets appeared before his eyes, looking quite similar to a modern city. However, when his gaze rose up, a different scene opened.

On the right side, a high wall stood before him, seemingly the protective wall of the city. What attracted Nate's attention even more was that, from the city center to the wall, bursts of energy came periodically.

It was a force field created by humanity, constantly active. Judging by the memories of those remaining, it was made with superpowers and technologies. Nate did not have specific information, yet it was still an amazing sight.

There are aspects where this world lags behind Earth, but there are also those quite ahead. For example, this force field, or superpowers. Moreover, this was clearly not all.

Lost in thought, it took Nate some time to recover from the impressive scene before him. However, noticing the movements of the people in black, he had no other choice but to follow them.

Following them, they approached a two-story building with European architecture. But relying on the exterior, one could say no one lived in this place.

Entering inside after everyone, Nate passed through several rooms before a staircase down appeared before his eyes. Everyone quickly went down, at this time Aryos was not seen. Nate thought he was likely ahead.

After descending, they walked for some time through a passage before a quite large space opened up before his eyes. However, what Nate saw clearly made him nervous.

A huge room with a circular platform in the center, twenty people in purple clothes standing in the middle. Around them, in close proximity to the platform, stood many people in red clothes. And around them, the entire area was filled with people in black uniforms.

Nate looked around and by his estimate, there were almost 500-700 people in black, no less than those in red and purple. And all these people belonged to the cult.

"It seems something is brewing..."

Nate realized something quite massive could be happening, comparing to the memory, there had never been a gathering of this scale.

As he wondered what would happen, suddenly a soft hum was heard. Immediately after, all the people knelt down, followed by Nate.

A few moments later, Nate felt a chill that gradually began to overcome him. Glancing from under the hood, he could see a cloud of black mist gradually appearing in the center of the platform.

Inside which a vague and barely visible figure was seen. However, what distinguished this being from the general black appearance were its pure white eyes.

Nate quickly lowered his head, because he clearly felt the abnormality of what was happening.

A few moments later, a raspy and eerie voice suddenly rang out, unlike anything Nate had ever heard before.

"My faithful servants....

I have felt something...."

Listening to the words, Nate unconsciously felt a shiver throughout his body.

"My things that were lost are now in this world...

I want you to return them to me..."

The longer Nate listened, the more the shiver grew, followed by a headache.

"I will give you the place where it is..."

When this silhouette finished, Nate finally felt relief. He also gradually felt the chill leave his whole body. Lifting his head a little, he saw the shadow disappear.

At this time, it seemed the people in purple robes were whispering about something, then it looked like they agreed on something. At their gesture, the people in red nearby approached and seemed to receive orders from them.

Having received instructions, the people in red started leaving, Nate's group also followed Aryos.

They did not go the same way they came, following him up they arrived at a different place. Going up through it, they found themselves in another house.

"Now everyone take off your robes so as not to attract attention."

At Aryos's order, the people in black began to take off their robes. Nate also followed them.

"Now we head towards the archaeological company. Everyone will go there separately, and extremely carefully. Look around, and act discreetly so as not to attract attention."

Passing through various narrow alleys, they looked around repeatedly. Nate also saw many different people. Some were rather well dressed, however most were ambiguous.

The strangeness was that although the street looked modern, the atmosphere reminded Nate of the Victorian era. This impression remained until he and the others finally reached the third circle of the city, passing through a hidden passage.

This city was divided into 4 levels, the innermost circle also the most guarded place. There were located many influential and powerful people, the most advanced technologies and everything needed for life.

Even from the farthest place one could see the majestic buildings resembling a modern city with some fantastic differences like a partially floating building.

The remaining circles in the city also corresponded to the two levels. They differed only in quality of life. Based on all this, the hierarchy in this world was also evident, the strong will be able to take everything while the weak only rot and be the first defensive wall for the rest of the world.

"The ethics of this world have long rotted....or one might say they did not form as a result of the catastrophe that changed it 300 years ago."

Nate wondered why this happened, one of the answers of course was the catastrophe. It directly influenced the future development path of this planet. If not for the disaster, it was very likely it would have been directed towards a civilization similar to Earth.

Lost in thought, the people in front suddenly slowed down. At this time, it was also approaching evening, creating natural camouflage for the cult members.

Standing in a corner of the alley, a rather tall building appeared before them. Unlike the 4th circle, in the 3rd circle there were more buildings and well-dressed people. There were also many people from the night watch here.

Along the way, they were stopped, but it seemed like nothing happened before they were just let through.

To come to the 3rd circle, they did not need any special privileges unlike the 2nd and 1st circles. It was enough to have citizenship in this city. Nate also did not know how Aryos and the others fooled the guards, however everything went smoothly.

And now they looked at the building belonging to the archaeological company.

At this time, Aryos and another man in red stood in front, looking at the tall and supposedly well-protected building. Those living in the third circle should have at least some foundation, and to create a company was already not a simple level.

This could also show the danger level of this mission given to the cult by the mysterious being. Nate did not see other cult members, they all had different tasks.

They waited for some time until Aryos finally ordered them to approach the building. Nate thought they would sneak inside, however that did not happen. Instead, Aryos led everyone forward towards the back.

The closer they went, the more people in black clothes emerged from different alleys heading towards the building. This movement was also noticed by the guards protecting the building.

On the other side, the night watch also noticed their movements. Nate saw a man dressed in sturdy armor with gold streaks start saying something into a radio on his shoulder.

It seemed they reported the incident, however everyone did not care.

Gradually their steps turned into running, following Aryos who had already reached the building. Seeing this, the guards became alert, everyone raised their various weapons. Some had swords, others had spears, and others had rifles.

Nate saw some weapons starting to glow, realizing the danger of the situation and seeing the old era rifles mixed with various special effects showing light when firing. He hid behind other cult members without hesitation.

These weapons were clearly not simple, although they looked old from Nate's perspective. As they approached the guards, there were less than 10 meters left before they would reach them.

At this time, Nate saw a guard holding a rifle glowing with dim blue light seeming to pull the trigger. Following him, Nate did not have time to see what it was.

The blue light went right through several people in black in a row, piercing them through. As he thought they clearly would not be able to reach the guards seeing this situation, a faint flash of light appeared at the forefront of their team.

This light, very similar to a dome, unhesitatingly began blocking the blue beams coming from the rifles of several guards. Looking closely, Nate found it was Aryos, at this time he held out his hand in front of him. A dim light came out of his palm forming a dome in front of him.

This completely blocked the bullets from the rifles, although one could see how the dome gradually cracked. However, by that time their group had reached the guards.

Nate heard the guards start shouting and attacking using their shout to increase their momentum. In contrast, the people in black robes were clearly like puppets.

The battle erupted in an instant, the battle of the era of hot weapons became commonplace of cold ones. Before Nate's eyes appeared a brutal and bloody scene, one which he was barely ready for.

Wherever you looked, chunks of flesh and blood flew, however his main attention was focused on Aryos. He was the key to his freedom, avoiding cult members he also sometimes confronted guards attacking him. Luckily for him, the enhancements were barely enough to defend himself.

Unlike the people in black, Aryos was clearly stronger, because Nate saw how he could easily handle even two guards at the same time.

Observing him, he saw Aryos, after killing two more guards, looked around and then went to the side to bypass the building.

Glancing again at the brutal battle, Nate breathed in.. He needed to get rid of the shackles.

Like Aryos, he gradually withdrew from the battle and followed him. Going around the building, he caught a glimpse of Aryos breaking a window and jumping inside. Following him, he also went inside.

At this time, a corpse was visible in the clean corridor and the sound of the alarm rang loudly inside. Nate bypassed the corpse and continued on inside. Sometimes one could see the same corpses as at the entrance, showing him the path Aryos took.

Bypassing several corridors in a row, Nate finally reached the stairs leading underground. Judging by the traces left by Aryos, he was clearly heading in this direction. Holding a dagger in his hand, he started going down. With the edge of his ear he could also hear distant screams and loud voices.

The scene around changed from bright to more gloomy. This place was more like a sewer than the corridors above. As before, Nate followed the loud noises and corpses on the ground.

Passing through another corridor, he finally reached an open space. In this place one could see something like very strange looking computers. For Nate this was strange because it looked more like magic, various figures flickered, appearing and disappearing. On them one could see strange hieroglyphs and numbers.

Glancing briefly, Nate did not pay much attention to this as his main task was different. This room was larger, and there were quite a lot of such computers or magical artifacts.

And in front of this place was a huge glass window, which Nate approached. Through the window one could see the territory below, where there was a circular space, with a platform in the center.

Nate narrowed his eyes, as he also saw Aryos's figure. At this time, he held a man by the throat, looking like a scientist. Which was shown by his white coat and glasses. It seemed Aryos was asking this scientist something. However, Nate heard nothing through the window.

A few seconds later, Aryos simply broke the scientist's neck and threw him aside.

After that, he approached the platform, where a seemingly broken crown lay in the middle. Taking it in his hands, he turned around and looked at Nate, and their eyes met.

1