Chapter 3: Shadows of Knowledge
41 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Evelia led me out of the Artificery Workshop. Soon she pointed to a nearby building. Her eyes filled with excitement as she said, "There lies our next destination, the Scriptorium of Lore. The Arcane Legion Institute's famous Library. Within those hallowed halls lies a labyrinth of priceless magic knowledge accumulated over millennia. Tomes imbued with the secrets of creation itself... Spells that reshape reality to the caster's whim..."

She exhales, her gaze distant, before continuing, "As a prospective student, thou may glimpse yet a fraction of its prodigies."

A thrill of excitement courses through me at the chance to explore the books on magic that this library holds. Evelia's attention shifts back to me, catching the sparkle in my eyes. She can't resist a soft chuckle, clearly amused, “My, such enthusiasm! It heartens me to see you appreciate the value of the knowledge housed within. Many visitors seem far more preoccupied with spectacle than substance when I grant tours.”

Evelia started to walk with a playful tone in her voice, “Doth keep care towards the path the trees are older in this area. The roots hast been known to snare the unwary.”

As excitement courses through me, I quicken my pace to match Evelia's, my heartbeat syncing with my rapid footsteps. The prospect of reading magic texts for the first time sends a thrill of anticipation through me.

Soon we approach the library. I look at the large building, it is lined with smooth white marble columns forming an architectural style from a bygone era. A pair of double doors sit before us the surface weather-beaten and etched with scenes of mages locked in combat with magical beasts. The arching entryway is lined with more of the runes that seem to litter the campus.

I see students going in and out of the building. The oak doors, with ancient magical mechanisms, open and close easily by themselves. Above the entryway, 'Scriptorium of Lore' is written in polished gold letters that catch sunlight and sparkle. Numerous glass windows punctuate the building's facade, their surface a patchwork of clear sections filtering sunlight, casting a warm glow within the library. Ivy weaves up the weather-beaten walls, adding organic beauty to the ancient structure.

Evelia extends an arm and says, "Behold, the pride of our institution. The great repository of knowledge both magical and non-magical. Art thou prepared to ventu...?"

With a surge of excitement, I rush past Evelia. My heart pounds with each echoing step on the ancient stone floor. I abruptly stop, stunned by the magnificent sight. Wide-eyed, I take in the vast domed ceiling with its elaborate frescoes and the kaleidoscope of colors from the stained glass windows.

Endless rows of towering oak shelves, burdened with ancient books and scrolls, reach toward the high ceiling. Magical orbs of soft light hover overhead, illuminating the expansive library with magical light. Balcony levels with intricate staircases punctuate the walls, leading to shadowy heights. Students study heavy volumes, their faces bathed in ethereal light, seeking ancient wisdom in these halls.

With the library's immense expanse, silence cloaks the interior. I pause, momentarily unsure of where to begin my journey in this vast sea of knowledge. Never before have I been surrounded by so many books, especially ones dedicated to magic. Deciding to wait for Lady Evelia's guidance, I control my enthusiasm and tread carefully to avoid any misconduct reaching my grandfather.

Soon Evelia entered the library. I see her smile and giggle, "I hadn't anticipated such a fervor for learning from you, young lad." She points to a segregated portion of the library and explained happily, "As thou are not yet a student, access to our full archives would be unwise. Yet, this area contains tomes that are safe for the public to access."

She guides me to a comfortable corner filled with well-used seats and a few books and bookcases. She says, "Thou ay peruse some of these tomes. I recommend thou read something that may pertain to the entrance exam if you wish to attend the Institute. I shall return shortly after attending to some other matters." I watch as Evelia leaves and goes up to a higher floor.

I look back at the books that line the shelves thinking about what to read. I decided to pick out a stack of books that relate to getting to know what magic even is. It is time to enlighten myself.

I settle into one of the chairs and start to read the books. As I pick up a book I look at the first page before quickly turning the page. My gaze only remained on each page for 6 seconds. I learned from a young age that I have a photographic memory. To augment that I learned to speed read.

Truth be told my photographic memory is a blessing and a curse. I am still haunted by the memories of my father's abuse. At the same time, it allows me to retain and memorize written information much faster than anyone I know.

After swiftly finishing the first book I set it down next to me and replaced it with another. I could feel the world slip away from me as i filled my brain with words and numbers. Having been denied access to these types of books my entire life, this feels like a dream come true.

Immersed in my own universe of letters and numbers I sink deeper into oblivion with each successive book. Each page etching its contents into the depths of my memory.

After what seems like forever, but has only been about 30 minutes. A picture takes hold of what magic is. Based on these basic texts magic seems to be a form of energy much like that of a fire that has been manipulated to do useful things. This energy is also known by the name mana.

It seems everyone and everything possesses some amount of mana. There are many hypotheses it seems but no direct evidence as to where mana originates from. Regardless to use any magic one must possess at least 100 units of mana. These individuals are known by the word of mage or magic user. 

Still absorbed in my own little universe I suddenly feel my body jolt as I hear Evelia her throat loudly. I turn to look up from the book shyly as I know I have done it again… The thing my mother and grandfather always betrayed me for… Not paying attention to the outside world.

"Oh, lady Evelive." I say as I hastily try to gather my composure. "My sincerest apologies, I was so engrossed in my studies that I failed to perceive your return." I pause, a sheepish grin creeping onto my face as I continue, "You see, when I stumble upon something interesting, I tend to become utterly absorbed in it. Matters of magic are all the more fascinating to me given my upbringing. My family had always maintained a careful distance from any topic regarding magic, and now that I am free to explore it, I find myself eagerly delving into its depths with voracious curiosity.”

Taking in my surroundings, I notice the towering stack of books I've gathered from my deep dive into magic. Feeling a slight blush of embarrassment, I quickly start tidying up, attempting to restore some order.

I say as I reshelve the books, “ I understand that these books might appear as nothing more than commonplace artifacts to the casual observer, merely touching the outer layers of the vast repository of knowledge contained within this library's expansive archives. However, the information I’ve gleaned thus far has ignited a hunger in me, a yearning so intense that it makes me wish I could take up permanent residence within these walls.”

I try to refocus, I must finish the task entrusted by my grandfather. I can always return to the library once I have enrolled here.

Continue the story. Evelia reacts to Kepler. End the beat with Evelia still thinking and saying “Such curiosity is nice to see in someone so young and from a non-noble background.”

I can feel Evelia's gaze on me, a curious spark dancing in her violet eyes. She remains silent for a moment, watching as I return each book to its rightful place with a careful precision born of respect for the written word.

Finally, she breaks the silence. "Kepler," she begins, her voice soft yet resonant in the stillness of the library. "Your fervor for knowledge is truly inspiring."

I turn to face her, an earnest smile spreading across my face at her words. "I am simply making up for lost time, Lady Evelia," I replied humbly. "There is so much to learn and so little time to grasp it all."

Her lips curve into a knowing smile. "Indeed," she agrees. "And yet, thou hast made an impressive start. Thou possess an insatiable thirst for knowledge that I am sure. "

Evelia continues to observe me with a thoughtful expression. Her gaze wanders back to the bookcases that had just been emptied of their volumes by my eager hands. "Such curiosity is indeed commendable," she murmurs.

She turns back towards me, her eyes alight with newfound respect. "To see someone from a non-noble background exhibit such enthusiasm... It is truly refreshing."

With a rapid flutter of her long, eyelashes, she offers me a kind smile. Her vibrant violet eyes seem to twinkle with an unspoken warmth as she articulates her next words. “Hath, thy glimpse into our archives inspired thou to attempt the institute's entrance exam?”

I tilt my head in gentle affirmation before responding with sincere enthusiasm, “Indeed, it did. Regardless of the outcome of my AffiniCrystal test, even if I am identified as a non-magic user, I fully intend to apply for the Knights program here at the esteemed institute, with joy and anticipation bubbling in my veins."

Pausing momentarily to let the words resonate, I continue, "However, it seems there may be a slight misapprehension, Lady Evelia. Allow me to formally introduce myself. I am Kepler Eclipse Shadowflame, the sole heir to the Shadowflame lineage and the grandson of Sir Baron Youssef Dawntide Shadowflame."

Upon uttering these words, I then offer a small, courteous bow, my eyes never leaving hers. My heart pounds slightly faster in my chest at the mention of my family name. I am well aware of the numerous rumors that circulate among the nobility concerning my lineage, a complex web of truth and lies. Most of the rumors were spread by my family over the years that we have served the Lumina Federation to confuse our nation's enemies. I can only hope that the revelation of my heritage does not unsettle her...

Evelia's violet eyes, typically so composed, visibly widen in surprise as the full weight of my words settles upon her. The revelation of my full name and the lineage I hail from momentarily shakes her usual confidence. I watch as she stammers, momentarily lost for words, “S-Shadowflame, thou say? I was not aware any scion of that… clan existed.” Her violet eyes narrowed, and she seemed to see me anew, taking in every detail with a close eye.

Gradually, Evelia regained her composure. With a measured and deliberate tone, she began to speak, carefully choosing her words as she addressed me. “Forgive my reaction. Thy house is seldom spoken of in public discourse. When whispers doth pass of thy family it is described as shadowy and scheming...” Evelia asks, “I doth wonder what business one such as yourself hath traveling unattended to this city. Seeking to enroll in the Arcane Legion Institute, no less. Ah, yet forgive my prying, such affairs are likely beyond my understanding.” She pivots subtly, her posture now angled away from me instinctively as if her body is signaling her to be cautious.

With a touch of amusement, I released a soft chuckle, "Rest assured, Lady Evelia, you have no cause to dread either my presence or that of my family. We're not unlike many nobles, bound by our loyalty to the crown. Given your apparent foreign origins, you would only cross paths with my family if you were involved in a plot against the ruling dynasty. Now, as for my seemingly solitary journey to the city and my intent to enroll, I believe I mentioned this earlier when we first crossed paths a few hours ago. My grandfather sent me to undertake the Affinicrystal test and to seek admission here." I quickly obfuscate my next words, "As for the behind my solitary journey is rather simple contrary to popular belief, our family doesn't possess the wealth that most might associate with nobility. We are, after all, merely a minor baronial family." In all honestly, I don't even know why my grandfather sent me here alone.

Evelia sighs in relief upon hearing my words. She takes a moment to compose herself, formulating her response thoughtfully, “I see... Well, regardless of thou are a non-magic user or a magic user the academy's halls shall remain open. I think I will just take thou to the Registry of Novitiates. Personally, I want to see if thou hast the talent for mana use. There is still so much to cover on campus, but I hast a feeling thou shall do fine on thy own.”

With that, Evelia hands me a map of the campus. I quickly pack that in my leather waist pouch for later looking over. I watch as she quickly darts out of the library as if she really doesn't want to be around me anymore. A soft giggle escapes me as I trail behind her, exiting the confines of the library.

It might be a good idea to keep my full name a secret i don't want to make myself an outcast here. Though that will likely prove hard… Over half of the individuals at this academy are likely to be of noble birth or connected to the aristocracy just because of their ability to read and write. The other half are likely non-citizens of the Lumina Federation, commoners with backing, and merchants looking to form connections.

As I followed Evelia many questions started to form in my head. I shake my head in an attempt to rid myself of the building anxiety and questions. Evelia then informs me of our destination pulling me from my thoughts. It is the Registry of Novitiates. She explains that the name is just a fancy name the founder came up with for the Arcane Legion Institute's administration office. This will be where I can apply as a student.

 

Due to feedback I have received from multiple people my writing will change slightly as you might have noticed from this chapter

0