Chapter 9: The Beast of Stone
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suddenly, a twig snapped behind me, and I whirled around to see a pair of glowing eyes staring at me from the shadows. A massive creature easily twice my size, with a body that seemed to be made of stone stood on 4 legs across from me.

A dark magical mist emanated from the creature. This was a magical beast, a being that had mutated due to high exposure to mana.

The beast let out a low growl, its eyes fixed on me with a predatory intensity. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

The rumbling that echoed from its stone-like chest sent a shiver down my spine, hammering home the sheer folly of my actions. If Grandfather Youssef were here he would lecture me again about being more observant. I had blundered and failed against one of my family's rules: Number 3 - Hone your skills in disguise, observation, information gathering, and combat to perfection.

My mind quickly raced as I tried to think of a way out of this predicament. But before I could act, the beast lunged forward, its massive jaws opening wide to reveal rows of razor-sharp teeth.

I side-stepped, narrowly avoiding the beast's snapping jaws. My heart raced as I felt the beast rush past me. I quickly drew my katana.

The beast started to circle me, its body scraping against the forest floor. I shifted my stance, ready for its next move.

It charged again. I leapt to the side and slashed at its body. My blade landed, barely leaving a scratch.

Gods damn it! It is real stone!

The beast swung its massive paw, catching me in the chest and sending me flying. I slammed into a tree, the air knocked from my lungs.

Pain shot through my body as I struggled to stand. The beast was already dashing at me, its eyes glowing with hunger.

I rolled to the side just as its jaws snapped shut inches from my face. Sweat poured down my brows, mixing with the dirt and blood on my skin.

You know what fuck this thing! I can always repair the forest with magic later. I thrust out my hand. I was about to call out a sequence of spells: Geometric Multiplication and Fireball.

Spell Name: Geometric Multiplication
Mana Cost: 500 (per multiplication)
Incantation: "By triangles and hexes, let's cast multiple vexes"
Description: This spell multiplies the next spell cast. Each multiplication of the spell increases the mana cost by a factor of 500.

"By triangles and hexes, let's cast multiple vexes!" Suddenly complex magic circles belonging to the Sacred Geometry Magic Affinity fill the sky.

Sacred Geometry Magic Affinity enables users to manipulate reality by imbuing numerical symbols, shapes, and patterns with magic. It allows users to manipulate reality itself through mathematics.

Spell Name:  Fireball
Mana Cost: 200
Incantation: "In the dance of flames, let chaos reign"
Description:  This spell conjures a single fireball. Upon impact, it explodes.

"In the dance of flames, let chaos reign!" Then the magic circles that fill the sky turn into fireballs.

Fireballs rain from the sky exploding against the beast. I am slightly blinded by the sight. The forest around us starts to catch fire.

A few seconds go by. To my shock, the beast is still standing. It lunged forward, its claws tearing into my shoulder.

I cried out in pain, my blood spattering the ground. The beast pressed its advantage, slamming me to the earth.

Its weight crushed down on me, driving the air from my lungs. I gasped for breath, my vision blurring.

Is this how it ends? Torn apart by a beast?

No! I refuse!

Taking a deep struggling breath. I struggle out with what might be my last words, "Teleportation wiggle."

The beast is warped in energy as the spell I just cast takes effect. Then suddenly the beast is gone.

Should have used Whisk-Away at the start.

Spell Name: Whisk-Away
Mana Cost: 1,800
Incantation: "Teleportation wiggle"
Description: This spell creates a rift in space-time, allowing the caster to teleport a designated target to a specified location. However, its effectiveness relies on the caster's mastery of spatial manipulation and their ability to accurately visualize the destination. Misjudging the coordinates or encountering interference along the teleportation path can lead to unintended outcomes.

I sent the beast as far into the sky as I could picture. The beast will not survive a fall like that. At least I hope not.

I staggered to my feet, every muscle in my body screaming in agonized protest. I grit my teeth against the pain. Then I surveyed the devastation surrounding me. Scorched earth and smoldering trees lay before me.

Shadowflame rule number 5: Leave no traces or evidence of your activities.

Using my magic I began putting out the fires. Using my Letter magic affinity I replicated the effects of water and wind magic affinities.

Letter Magic Affinity enables users to manipulate reality by imbuing letters, runes, symbols, and words with magic. Allowing for the manipulation of reality itself through carefully arranged symbols.

The flames then started to dwindle and die.

Having a colossal well of mana at my disposal sure comes in handy at times like these. I'm relieved to find my Mana Limiter unscathed amidst the chaos of the battle, the ring still tightly on my finger.

I turned my magic toward myself starting to heal my battered and bloody body. My cuts sealed, my bruises faded, and the sharp ache in my bones dulled to a more manageable throb.

Yet, my work was far from over. The forest needed to be repaired. I was obliged by my family's code to erase any signs of my presence.

Extending my magic I started to restore the forest. Tender green sprigs started to emerge from the charred soil, and fresh foliage blossomed.

Finally, utterly exhausted, I lean against a restored tree trunk to catch my breath. After catching my breath I restored my outfit and headed back to The Dancing Donkey Inn for the night. I had survived a trial by fire today and the entrance exam starts tomorrow morning.

0