Chapter 11: The Beast Stampede
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hopscotch was nowhere to be seen, nor were any of the other examinees. I was alone in this harsh, unforgiving terrain. My heart pounded in my chest as I tried to get my bearings.

As I looked around I couldn't tell what happened. Everything seems real, but I would have noticed if space-time magic of any kind was used. Most of their magic circles are known to me.

No matter if this is an illusion or not it is a part of the exam. Thus I will treat it as real.

A distant rumble caught my attention, growing louder with each passing second. I squinted as I tried to locate the source of the noise. That's when I saw them - a herd of massive, horned beasts stampeding straight towards me, their hooves pounding against the rocky ground like thunder.

Panic gripped me as I realized the true nature of the trial. I had to survive for a minute under this magical beast stampede. My hand instinctively went to the katana at my hip, the familiar weight of the weapon bringing a small measure of comfort.

I took a deep breath to calm my racing thoughts. I knew I had to keep a level head if I was going to survive this. Drawing upon the years of training under my grandfather's tutelage, I settled into a defensive stance, my katana held at the ready.

I chant a spell, "Time to be zippy!"

Spell Name: Luminous Stride
Mana Cost: 1000
Incantation: "Time to be zippy"
Description: This spell bestows the caster with supernaturally enhanced speed and agility for one minute. When activated, the caster becomes enveloped in a shimmering aura of light.

The aura of the spell wrapped around my body. My veins and muscles felt energized. My vision slowed to a crawl as my perception shifted. Every detail slowed down and jumped at me with an indescribable clarity.

I knew this boost would only last for a minute, but this part of the exam only lasts for that amount of time anyway. I tensed, ready to push my augmented body to its limits and seize victory before these magical beasts even knew what hit them.

The beasts were almost upon me now. Their eyes were filled with hunger. I could feel the ground shaking beneath my feet.

I sidestepped the head beast at the last possible moment. My katana flashed out of its sheath scoring a shallow cut along its side. The beast let out a bellow of pain before falling to the ground, dead.

I moved forward. My katana flew through the air. I decapitated one of the beasts.

My adrenaline surged. I quickly moved with supernatural speed and agility thanks to Luminous Stride.

A beast tried to charge me. I just lept over its back. My katana flashed as I severed its spine in mid-air.

As I was falling I looked around for my next target. Landing I spun around and decapitated another beast.

Two more beasts converged on me from opposite sides. Their jaws snapped and their claws tore at the air.

I ducked under one of them, my blade cutting deep into its belly. Blood sprayed across my face. I ripped the katana free, the beast's entrails spilling out onto the ground.

The other beast tried to strike quickly. However, I was moving quicker than it could react. My body purely reacting on instinct.

I sidestepped its charge. Quickly finding an opening I struck. My Katana sliced through its throat as I was sprayed in crimson.

I turned and faced the remaining beasts, my katana held at the ready. They seemed to hesitate. They are likely scared of me, the being that slaughtered so many of their kin with ease.

However, it seems like their hunger won out. They charged forward once more as did I.

I met them with a flurry of light, my katana flashing as it cut through flesh and bone. Beast after beast fell before me, their bodies piling up around me.

Finally, the last beast lay dead at my feet. Its blood mingled with that of its fallen brethren. I stood there, my katana dripping with their blood.

I suddenly found the landscape around me dissolving. The scent of blood and the texture of their body fluids on me disappeared, replaced by the walls and gate of the Arcane Legion Institute.

The carcasses of the beasts I'd slain, the gore-slicked grass, all of it - gone. Like waking from a dream. I figured it was likely an illusion.

I stabbed my blade into the ground to lean on it. As I was catching my breath I looked around finding the other prospective students currently missing.

I saw a staff member smile at me approvingly. They probably didn't expect a prospective student to slaughter that entire horde of illusory magical beasts. I couldn't help but feel a small swell of pride at their reaction.

I straightened up, sheathing my katana. The adrenaline still pumped through my veins from the battle, even if it had all been an illusion. I took a deep breath, steadying my heart rate.

It looks like the others will be caught up in the illusion for a while. I wonder how they are faring against the beast tide.

While I waited I sat down. I began replaying the battle in my mind. Analyzing every detail. I had won this time but a real magical beast tide will not be that easy.

Soon the rest of the prospective students appeared out of thin air. My eyes quickly landed on Hopscotch's blue skin.

The Frogfolk girl looked shaken, her skin slick with sweat. But when she saw me, her eyes widened in surprise and relief.

"Kepler!" Hopscotch exclaimed, hurrying over to me. "You made it through too!"

I nodded, offering her a small smile. "Yeah, how did you fare?"

Hopscotch shrugged, her webbed hands fidgeting nervously. "I survived, barely. Those beasts were no joke." She paused, eyeing me curiously. "You look like you handled it well though."

I felt a flicker of pride at her observation. "I managed," I said. "I'm just glad it's over."

Hopscotch nodded in agreement, her large eyes still wide with residual fear and exhilaration. "Me too. I wonder what the next part of the exam will be..."

0