“Yes, it’s a date.”
40 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sidekick? What time are you getting back home? I feel lonely, and I don’t have anyone to annoy…” Koharu’s words were softly heard through the transceiver she gave me a while back.

 

     As much as I wanted to respond to her now, Unfortunately, My head was locked into a kiss with a girl I just met who wasn’t my girlfriend. Instead of focusing on my situation, I was focused on the conversation of the men.

 

“Geez, couldn’t those kids get a room or something?” The man in the trench coat, and sunglasses at night commented at us before walking off.

 

     Instinctively, I averted my eyes away from the man and focused on Mei’s closed eyes, I covered the side of her face with my hand so that the man did not recognize her in case he knew of her being her Dad’s daughter.

 

     After a while, the park went all quiet and the recorder I was using had reached its recording limit and automatically turned off.

 

     I felt Mei’s hands slowly loosened and unwrapped from my head, I was finally able to back away. Mei’s eyes slowly opened… and just like that, we were looking into each other’s eyes, as if we were a couple that were about to get married.

 

“Are they gone?” Mei muttered, her face was beet red and her eyes turned away.

 

“Yes, they’re gone.” I slowly got off her and helped Mei up.

 

“Okay… Um… W-were we convincing?”

 

“Yes, we were, Now. “Couldn’t you have just pretended by holding on to me and not kissing me?” I scolded Mei hard.

 

“Hey! I just gave you my first kiss! At the very least be grateful that such a beautiful lady gave an ugly pervert like you her first kiss!” shouted Mei.

 

“So what!? That was my first kiss too, and you just stole it! You could’ve just done what you did back in the classroom and pressed my head near your head and instead, you decided to steal my first kiss!”

 

“I… you….” Mei got silent, It was understandable she had just kissed a guy she just met, and that same guy was now chewing her out over that recklessness,

 

“Let’s get you home.” I placed my hand on her shoulder, put my bag back on, and carried hers.

 

“I can… I can no longer get married… my first kiss was given by accident…” Mei’s eyes went swirly and her cheeks went rosy.

“Sheesh, Cry me a river.” I tapped her back and we continued walking together.

 

     While we walked through the streets, I couldn’t help but think of that short moment between us… when our lips were touching they were very soft, and Our chests’ were basically against each other.

 

“I’m sorry.” Whimpered Mei.

 

“It’s alright, I didn’t hate it, though I wish you could’ve warned me first.”

 

“No, I meant… Now you’re gonna be a teenage dad.” Mei trembled. 

 

Huh? What the heck was this girl going on about?

 

“Can you explain?”

 

“I mean, now that we kissed, There’s gonna be a baby in my oven! I’ll be sure to be a good mother to it!!! I’ll be hoping we can raise it together as a happy family!!” Mei bowed frantically. 

 

“EH? What are you talking about?”

 

“I… I’m pregnant!!”

 

“Mei, a girl can’t get pregnant from a kiss.” Not that I hoped so.

 

“Eh? But when a boy and girl kiss each other the girl ends up making a baby inside her oven right?” Mei covered her face with both hands.

 

“That’s not how it works.”

 

“So I don’t have a baby?”

 

“No.”

 

“Oh thank goodness I didn’t have to mother the child of a pervert who dirtied the hands of a girl she just met!” Mei had relief in her voice.

 

Wait so she doesn’t know what sex is?  But she accused me of being a pervert for making her hand dirty… how sheltered is this girl?

 

We continued walking, there was silence between us, I wanted to break that silence…

 

“Mei, can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Just how old are you?”

 

“I’m 15…”

 

“Same.”

 

“Umm…. Elio…” I felt Mei’s hand tug on the sleeve of my coat.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Let’s keep what happened at the park between us alright?”

 

“The park? I don’t know what you’re talking about, I never even saw you there, all I did was record what the men there were talking about!” I proudly announced.

 

“Hey! Don’t just disregard my lips like that!”

 

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” I winked at her.

 

“Y-You meanie!!!”

 

     Her face turned completely red, her mouth hung open and she went swirlie-eyed, and lastly, she tried to hit me several times with both hands out of embarrassment, but I managed to block and avoid all of them thanks to Koharu’s Self-defense lessons.

 

     After a while of walking together, I looked at the skies and noticed that the clouds were getting darker.

 

“Look’s like it’s about to rain.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I have an umbrella, so let’s share.” I handed Mei her bag and took the umbrella out of mine, I opened it and we continued walking together as the rain started pouring down softly.

 

“Umm… Elio are you not embarrassed by this?” Whispered Mei.

 

“Embarrassed? Not really.”

 

“Have you heard of “Ai Ai Gasa?” Asked Mei.

 

“I do, Ai ai gasa is “lovely umbrella,” a dumb rumor made by lonely people to seemingly find fortune in love.  but I don’t see why I should be embarrassed.”

 

“But don’t we look like a couple when we walk together like this, the rumor explicitly says that if a boy and a girl walk together under an umbrella, it would mean they will spend the rest of their lives together happily married-”

 

I shoved Mei out of the umbrella into the rain.

 

“If you fear superstitions so badly, you can walk in the rain.”

 

“Why are you so uptight!? I’m just telling you the “ai ai gasa” rumor!”

 

“Unlike you girls, I don’t believe in rumors. I already have an annoying roommate back home so don’t be an extra crap I need to deal with.”

 

“Meanie.”

 

I walked next to her so she didn’t get soaked any more than she already did.

 

“Are you done being mad?”

 

Mei nodded.

 

“Good girl.” I patted her head.

 

     We continued walking together under the rain, only sheltered by an umbrella. The walk was silent until we walked past a “BBQ restaurant,” specifically one that’s very similar to Korean BBQ where the charcoal grill is on the dining table itself.

 

I felt Mei tug on my sleeve again. “Hey, Elio are you feeling hungry?”

 

“Only a bit why?”

 

“D-Do you wanna go eat there together?.” Mei pointed at the restaurant.

 

“I didn’t know you liked BBQ.”

 

“Well my mom takes me to BBQ restaurants at the weekends, So I developed a fancy for them, So do you wanna eat there?”

 

“I don’t have any money for expensive food-”

 

“I’ll pay for the “eat all you can” for 2 hours.”

 

“Is this not too much considering we just met?”

 

“We also gave each other our first kiss, so let’s try to get along with each other shall we?” Winked Mei.

 

“What happened to never talk about that again?”

 

“Well! It’s just us here.” Mei smiled cutely.

 

“I can’t argue with that, alright let’s go then.

 

“Hehe!” Mei grabbed my hand before walking in together.

 

“Hello, what can I do for you Sweeties?” asked a nearby waitress.

 

“A table for two please, oh and we’d like to spend on the “Eat all you can” for two hours please.

 

“Follow me, sweeties.” The waitress signaled us to follow her and she led us to a circular table that had a charcoal grill placed in the center.

 

     Mei and I sat on opposite ends of the large circular sofa across from each other.

 

“Here ya go sweeties, call when you’re ready to order.” The waitress gave us both the menu so we could pick what we would love to eat.

 

“Mei, are you okay with having an “Eat all you can” BBQ date with a guy you just met and kissed?

 

“Well, it is a bit embarrassing, especially if our classmates or schoolmates see us together but it’s not like we’re dating so there shouldn’t be an issue right.”

 

“Y-you’re right.”

 

     She does have a point… Maybe I should stop worrying and just enjoy this.

 

“Hey Mei, What are you gonna be ordering?”

 

“I’m considering short ribs but they have too little meat on them.”

 

“How about the beef BBQ?” I suggested.

 

“That’s too predictable, how about samgyeopsal?” answered Mei.

 

“I’m down for that, Let’s order some salad, fishcakes, and kimchi too.”

 

“Mhm.”

 

“Ms. we’re ready to order!” Mei called for the waitress and we placed our orders.

 

     After taking our orders the waitress left and returned with a different waiter, he placed the hot charcoal inside the grill and drizzled oil on the grill top, while she placed the side dishes we asked for on the table, including a lot of fish cake, a couple of bowls of white rice, an extra large bowl of egg-fried rice for me, and vegetables.

 

“I’m a bit embarrassed here.” I scratched my cheek and averted my gaze from Mei.

 

“How come?”

 

“Well it's the first time I ate out together with a girl that wasn’t my “roommate”

 

“Hmm… You said that your roommate is a girl right?”

 

“Yes, she is. Why?”

 

“Is she pretty?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Am I pretty?”

 

“.......Yes.”

 

“Why did you hesitate?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Rude.”

 

     Why was she interrogating me about Koharu so much?

 

“Am I like her?”

 

“I’d say you two have very similar appearances.”

 

“Oh? How so?”

 

“You guys have the same haircut, same hair ombre, as well as physique and figure.”

 

“Hmm….. is that all?”

 

“The only difference you two seem to have is you have black hair and red eyes while she had silver hair and blue eyes.”

 

Mei clenched her fist and placed it on her chest, “I see… Who’s prettier between us?”

 

“Why ask?”

 

“Nothing, just answer it.”

 

“I refuse.”

 

     How come Mei’s being more talkative, is there something she’s hiding? The waitress returned, and she placed a platter of the meat we ordered on the table, she also placed a pitcher of water and one filled with iced tea.

 

“Shall we start?

 

“Mhm~” Mei placed one of the beef bbq and samgyeopsal on the grill top.

 

“Wait who said you’re the one who's gonna cook?”

 

“Well, I wouldn’t trust a boy to be able to cook! Girls are masters of cooking, that’s why they said the best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach!!” Mei pridefully exclaimed.

 

“Okay, first, gender discrimination much? 2nd, is this your way of trying to get into my heart? Because that ain’t working.”

 

“Well first off, Nope, girls are just better at cooking!! And 2nd be grateful I’m treating you to BBQ!”

 

“I’ll admit it when I taste it, and consider this dinner as payment for the help tomorrow..”

 

“Fine, prepare to fall In love with my cooking!!

 

     And with those words, Mei proved herself right, both beef bbq and samgyeopsal were cooked perfectly down to the texture.

 

“Here try it, say ahh~~” Mei held a piece of the beef BBQ dipped in some soy sauce and wrapped with lettuce and held it close to me, signaling me to eat it, like how a girlfriend would to her boyfriend.

 

     I looked at her for a bit and then reminded myself that, we are not dating 10 times before finally eating it whole.

 

“See? I told you I was a great cook! Hehe~!” Mei had a very innocent smile

 

“Mhm…”

 

“Is something wrong? You’re acting gloomier than usual.”

 

“Don’t mind it, I was just thinking of something.”

 

“Well, don’t forget to enjoy the food here, okay?”

 

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

     Looking back to how she acted when we first met… she somehow mellowed down a lot. Just earlier she was rough and somewhat cruel but she’s acting very caring and innocent now.

 

     Was that because of the kiss from earlier? Or she’s starting to loosen up that rough “facade” she had earlier? Either way, I wouldn’t mind seeing both the rough and innocent sides of her.

 

“Oh right!” Mei exclaimed while wrapping some of the roasted beef on the lettuce and other sides.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Are we still meeting up together? Or do you want to discuss the investigations now?”

 

“Let’s just discuss it here while eating together, Since I’ll be asking my roommate to help decode the recordings I did, so after that,  then we can meet up tomorrow at the cafe, have brunch and properly investigate your dad, Sounds good?”

 

“Y-yes but just 1 question…”

 

“What is it?”

 

“How are you so prepared for this?”

 

“Blame my roommate for that too, she told me to always plan out missions in advance,” I explained while eating some of the rice with the grilled pork.

 

“Is your roommate perhaps the detective?”

 

“Took you long enough to figure it out, Yes she is the detective, and I’m her sidekick.”

 

“Can I meet her today?” Mei scooted over next to me and laid on my arm.

 

“Not really, Cus I said I will be bringing you home safely, especially since you treated me to dinner.”

 

“Can’t you just introduce us?”

 

“Why do you want to meet her so badly?”

 

“Nothing… I just want to see how she can help.”

 

“Sigh… I’ll be sure to tell her to decode the recording for you,” I explained before I ate more egg-fried rice.

 

      We continued eating for the 2-hour duration, the rain subsided, we finished dinner and we eventually reached the crossroads where we split off.

 

“You can get home from here right?”

 

“Yes, thank you for helping me get back.”

 

“Don’t mention it, I should be the one thanking you for dinner.

 

“See you tomorrow.” Mei hugged me and I hugged her back.

 

   We agreed that the meet up for the meeting tomorrow is around 9:00 am near the cafe.

 

“Oh and one more thing.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Chu~” Mei kissed me on the cheek. “See you.” she smiled.

 

“Goodbye.”

 

     I walked to the apartment building and knocked on the door if Koharu was back.

 

“It’s open,” Koharu answered.

 

“I’m back home,” I announced softly.

 

“Welcome back, Are you hungry? Sorry for not being able to cook anything, I just got back home myself.” Koharu greeted me while she was still in her Detective uniform.

“Don’t worry about me, a classmate treated me to dinner today, don’t worry I’ll cook you something to eat, do you want tacos? Or shiiizaaa salad?”

 

“Both!” Koharu pridefully shouted.

 

“Alright, I’ll make both for you, I just need you to decode the audio I recorded here.” I handed her the recording device and headed to the kitchen.

 

“Why did I smell a girl on him…..?”

5