Chapter One
24 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Life

Death

Rebirth

 

My return to consciousness is sudden, and I take a minute to remember where I am. It’s always like this, not being able to properly remember for a bit. With a sigh I sit up, and move to get out of bed. Seeing my reflection in the mirror reminds me of just how out of my depth I am. Looking back at me is the face I’ve grown used to seeing these last 15 years. The face of Emma Barnes.

 

Moving to get ready, I keep hold of today’s most important thought. I won’t leave Taylor like the other version did. I won't. The outfit for today is gonna be a mid thigh length white skirt and a long sleeve skin tight black shirt. With two of those stupid fake buttons at the top. Moving back to my nightstand I grab and put on my glasses. Because even through reincarnation I can’t escape needing glasses. My stupid, adorable pink frame glasses. 

 

Grabbing a book, one of the Earth Bet Harry Potter books, I make my way down stairs for breakfast. Scrambled eggs and hashbrowns, mmmmm. I finish eating quickly and move outside to the porch, giving a quick “thank you” to my mom. Getting outside, I sit on the steps and start reading a somehow worse version of Harry Potter, while I wait for my best friend.

 

It doesn’t take long, I know she’s worried about me after the alleyway. Which still happened, but better or worse depending on how you take getting powers. Getting powers is cool, almost dying while Shadow Stalker, Sophia, does fucking nothing. Having a semi public trigger that results in me teleporting away at almost being stabbed, very cool. Having Sophia follow me home, not cool. My power makes me very aware of all the potential dangers around me, including the girl moving swiftly towards me, which doesn’t have an off switch. 

 

Taylor tacklehugs me to the porch, which results in a flicker. A flicker is what I’ve been calling my teleports where I don’t wanna go anywhere. “EMMA! Are you ok?!” she asks, moving to get off of me.

 

I don’t let her get up though, I wrap my arms around her neck and my legs around her waist, keeping her in the hug. “I’m wonderful, especially now that you’re here.” Taylors hair smells like strawberries today, she must have gotten a new shampoo. She props herself up with her hands, making her face directly over mine. Overcome with a mischievous urge, I quickly dart up and peck her lips. Which gets an amazing reaction, she quickly sits up, pulling me with her. 

 

“EMMA, YOU CAN’T JUST KISS ME!” she yells, her face burning.

 

I try to pout, but can’t help but smile. “Why not? Or are you forgetting, you said yes.” I tease.

 

“Emma…” she trails off, I know what she’s gonna bring up. So I dart forward again, giving her a slower kiss. 

 

“Fuck anyone who says we are wrong for wanting to be together. Besides, Arcadia is in Sovereign's territory, so we will be fine.” The city isn’t quite Brockton Bay, but more like an unholy fusion of Portland and Brockton. Sovereign being a “villain” who’s very pro lgbt and tends to be in odd places. Like protecting a school in one of the nicer parts of town. 

 

“Ok,” she says. Wait what? Normally she tries to fight me about this.

 

“Are you just saying “ok” because I’ve got powers now? Because I would still worry about you, you dork.”

 

She shakes her head, “I’m saying “ok” because I know you’re not wrong and it would be a useless struggle against you. I love you after all.”

 

I lean against her, “I love you too.” I murmur.
---
AN: I aim to end most chapters with an "I love you between Taylor and Emma." it will be mostly fluffy fun, but have some darker tones as is standard in Parahumans. Also don't be mean.

2