Shadows Of Tragedy
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Neil's question hangs in the air, a heavy silence descends upon the room. Columbine. The name echoes in my mind, stirring up memories of a dark chapter in history. I shift uncomfortably, unsure of how to respond.

"Yeah, I've heard of it," I finally manage, my voice barely above a whisper. "It's... intense." That's an understatement. Columbine isn't just a name; it's a symbol of tragedy, of lives lost and shattered.

Neil nods, his expression somber. "It's more than intense, man. It's... it's like a wake-up call, you know? A reminder of the darkness that lurks within us all." His words hang heavy in the air, weighing down on me like a leaden blanket.

I swallow hard, my mind racing with conflicting thoughts and emotions. What does it mean that Neil's favorite topic of discussion is a school shooting? Should I be concerned? Intrigued? Both?

But before I can formulate a response, Neil breaks the silence, his tone lighter now. "Anyway, enough of the heavy stuff. Let's lighten the mood, yeah?" He flashes a crooked smile, reaching for the remote to cue up some music.

Relieved to steer the conversation away from such dark territory, I nod eagerly. "Yeah, sounds good." As the music fills the room, I let myself relax, pushing aside the weight of Neil's revelation for now.

But deep down, I know that Columbine will linger in the back of my mind, a reminder of the complexities and darkness of the human psyche. And as Neil and I continue to bond over beers and banter, I can't shake the feeling that there's more to him than meets the eye.

0