Chapter 09: Shadowed Presence
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The gentle and calming mist suddenly shifted, its shape shifting and transforming into the semblance of a large, disembodied hand that seemed to lunge with ferocity towards the unsuspecting pixie girl.

Quickly, Argastal raised his hand and summoned a bright and gentle light to surround Yzen in a circular shape, shielding her from the sudden surge of darkness that began spreading from Iris. The wave of dark energy rapidly expanded across the entire circle, seemingly eager to devour the blue-flamed pixie.

A sudden and abrupt sting of pain could be felt by the fairy king as the girl's energy was able to quickly dissolve Argastal's protective barrier. 

"Agh!" The fairy king uttered a sudden and sharp exclamation as he perceived a temporary shift in his fingers, which seemed to match the girl's in both colour and tainted appearance. The sudden conversion in his essence surprised the fairy, causing momentary fear and dread to wash over him as his centuries of living and experience flashed before his eyes in a brief moment of terror.

However, the sudden alteration was only temporary, as Argastal's shield instantly dissolved the dark taint, returning his fingertips to their original state.

Iris immediately clapped a hand over her mouth after letting out a gasp, having been taken aback by the sudden surge of darkness that arose from her own tainted and malevolent energy. Realising that her actions had affected others, the girl quickly exclaimed, "I'm so sorry!"

However, the blue-flamed pixie Yzen was lucky and managed to avoid being affected by the girl's tainted energy due to the king's quick reaction to encase the pixie and protected her from the sudden surge of darkness.

The fairy king immediately stood up from his previous kneeling position, as his magical sense of perception detected this sudden change in the auras and energies surrounding the two individuals. 

Something isn't right. 

A cold and spine-chilling feeling ran down his spine when he sensed the formation of the shadowy mist surrounding Iris beginning to take on the form of a person behind the girl, embracing her in a gentle yet seemingly ominous grip.

Who—?! As the fairy king was about to move in to intercept the mist that was forming into the shape of a person around the girl, it suddenly dispersed and resumed its original and natural state of energy swirling and whirling around her. 

I was right to not cut our journey short by using magic. This.. 'energy' surrounding her is concerning and needs to be further studied.

Argastal shook his head, making a note of the unusual phenomenon before turning towards the blue-flamed pixie, Yzen, who had been thrown towards a bush not too far from where the darkness had initially struck. 

"I didn't mean to! It was out of my control... I—" Iris exclaimed, her voice quivering as she witnessed the decay spreading from her in an uncontrolled state. The taint and malevolent energy seemed to have taken over her body in a sudden and abrupt manner, leaving its ugly and corruptive effects on her surroundings.

The fairy king nodded slowly, showing he understood her predicament. "I know... I'm not condemning you," he sighed in understanding, acknowledging the girl's lack of control over the power she possessed.

"Do not move," the fairy king then instructed the girl in an icy tone as he quickly rushed towards Yzen. The latter pouted and shrugged her shoulders in response. "My king, while I am grateful for your protection, I could have just flown away. Your intervention was not necessary," the pixie replied with a slight tone of annoyance and indignation.

Yzen brushed herself off quickly and simply stood up, indicating that she was indeed unhurt and in good shape. 

"Do not take this lightly. Her powers certainly possessed the capability of consuming you altogether had you not been quick to counter her energy with mine," the fairy king warned, utilising his authority to place emphasis on the seriousness of the situation.

The fairy king's attention was swiftly drawn to the direction where Yzen's gaze was momentarily pointed towards—Iris behind him. A sudden and brief expression of fear and guilt flashed across the pixie's face as she witnessed the state of decay that had engulfed the girl's surroundings.

I have underestimated how risky Iris's presence can be. Yzen only informed me of her physical touch, but knowing her emotions plays a role as well...

"You may return now." The fairy king gave a command with a slight hint of urgency behind his words, wanting to make sure an innocent and unspoiled nature was not tarnished any further by the tainted and malevolent energy surrounding Iris.

In response, Yzen was instantly adamant and denied Argastal's request. "No way! I'm fine!" she shouted defiantly, trying to cling onto her usual haughty behaviour.

"Are you not scared of her?" The fairy king posed a rhetorical question, his tone of voice still cold and icy, despite the more curious and inquisitive nature of the question.

"I... of course I am. But... it's not like she wanted to hurt me," the blue-flamed pixie Yzen answered with an expression of guilt on her face, trying to justify her earlier response. Her usual haughty and arrogant attitude was now replaced with a far more submissive demeanour.

"This is not a request. It's a command." The fairy king pressed his point, his tone and behaviour shifting slightly to be more firm and assertive. 

"B-but..."

Nevertheless, the king remained resolute in his orders, making it clear that he insisted on the blue-flamed pixie's prompt departure from the area. "... I understand." At the fairy king's firm command, Yzen had no choice but to comply and depart from the area. She quickly turned around and flew away in another direction, her blue-flamed wings fluttering lightly in the air as she faded away from their presence.

The forest has suffered enough for my curiosity.

After Yzen had departed from the scenery and faded away into the distance, Argastal turned his attention back towards Iris, who appeared to become even more remorseful and full of guilt.

"I really am sorry... I didn't mean for this to happen." The girl apologised in a soft and remorseful tone, her eyes darting towards the rotten flower on the ground. 

"I know it was not your intention, you did not mean any harm to the forest and its inhabitants." The fairy king began his response with the slightest hint of sympathy and understanding, not wanting to provoke an emotional outburst from the girl. "However, I do have a question I would like to ask regarding this.. ability of yours," he quickly added to the discussion, still keeping his tone mild and gentle. His blue eyes remained attuned to the girl and the mist that was still clinging to her.

"I'll answer anything I know," Iris eagerly replied, seemingly eager to make amends for the damage that she had inadvertently inflicted on the innocent forest creatures.

"Tell me... is there another presence accompanying this dark energy alongside you?" The fairy king inquired, his tone of voice becoming slightly desperate but remaining concealed in a subtle manner. 

Iris went silent for several moments before finally responding. "At times... I do feel that way, but... I cannot pinpoint who or what it might be. It feels scary... but also reassuring in a way," the girl explained, remaining calm.

As I have predicted. Such dangerous and malevolent spirit couldn't have originated from a being like her.

"W-why? Do you sense that there is another person with me?" Iris then asked in a fearful and hesitant manner, unsure of the truth and the information she was about to receive.

"... My assumption could be wrong, so I believe having all members of the council discuss this issue could provide a more concrete conclusion and result to your predicament," Argastal admits, taking a more cautious tone.

"And... what will happen once we do meet them?" Iris inquired nervously, her eyes shifting away for an instant before turning back towards the male spirit.

It'd be better to be truthful to her, it's the least I could do.

"Perhaps the other members of the council are familiar with the origins of your strange energy and powers. I cannot promise anything at this time, but it is the truth that we may receive some useful insight and knowledge from their experience." Argastal replies in a straight-forward manner, avoiding making any promises or false assurances to the girl.

"O-oh... I see," Iris replied in a soft and low tone as she considered the possible origins and causes of her mysterious powers that she had manifested. Although a slight sense of joy and determination could be felt, she also felt a hint of dread and trepidation at the thought of uncovering the truths and mysteries that lie behind her unique abilities.

"The Highland Council is comprised of five ancient spirits, myself included," the fairy king said sternly, ensuring his caution was clearly conveyed to the girl.

"Five?" She questioned him nervously, her voice barely above a whisper, looking towards Argastal with worry evident on her face.

It seemed she's quite uneasy and fearful about the upcoming gathering of the council.

With a comforting look and gentle tone, Argastal responded, "There will be only four spirits present during the meeting." He went on to specify, "These beings are myself, my wife Neris, the spirit Inanis, and the spirit Petros." The fairy king's soothing and reassuring presence did little to quell the girl's uneasiness, as she continued to focus on the potential presence of the fifth spirit.

"You have a partner?" With the subtle tilt of her head, she managed to catch Argastal off guard, as he seemed surprised by the random nature of her question.

The fairy king let out a little chuckle as he responded, looking quite amused at the girl's curiosity. "Of course, I have a wife!" Argastal replied, "Is there any reason you find my marriage so surprising?"

"No, not particularly." Iris's response was fairly concise and simple, quickly brushing the matter aside. Despite her quick dismissal of the subject matter, Argastal was able to detect a fleeting look of longing and sadness flickering on the girl's face for a moment.

That was rather unusual. Is she perhaps harbouring a deep sentiment for someone?

Upon realising the tender nature of the girl's sentiments and emotions, Argastal deemed it wise to not press her on the matter any further. He decided to gently transition the conversation to a different topic, stating, "Very well then. We shall conclude this journey without delay." Argastal continued, "Please take care to conduct yourself with proper respect and refrain from touching anything." He finished with an emphasis on the danger of upsetting their delicate balance.

Iris gave a quick and respectful nod, acknowledging the fairy king's words and taking the advice given to heart.

"The council has been awaiting our appearance, and we have unnecessarily prolonged their waiting time." Argastal stated before he turned away from the girl and lifted his hand towards a gulmohar tree. His grip glowed with a crimson hue as he conjured a magical force that lifted the red leaves from the forest grounds.

The leaves then swirled and circled around in the air like an invisible whirlwind before eventually forming a small, crimson-hued portal in front of the two.

"Well then, please enter the portal." Argastal instructed in a calm and controlled manner. Iris eyed the crimson swirls of energy that filled the air around her, feeling slightly nervous but also intrigued.

As the girl was in the midst of taking a step forward, she suddenly felt an odd and unfamiliar force pulling on her arm, almost as if someone were trying to hold her back. The strange sensation lasted for the briefest of moments before fading away immediately.

"Stay." The voice quickly disappeared as the girl turned around, desperately searching for the source of it. She was puzzled by the mystery of who it could have been and felt a lingering urge to follow the instructions.

"Who...?" She murmured softly as she glanced around, only to be greeted by the sight of the withering forest left in her wake. Ignoring the eerie voice that she had heard in her head, Iris stepped into the portal that the fairy king had opened, following him into the mysterious realm beyond.

—Unaware of the faint shadows of a phantom looming behind her.

 

0