Chapter 12: Internal Strife
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Let me out!" Iris continued to shout, now marking her voice as sounding a bit hoarse from the constant screams of fear and panic. Her words were still met with the sloshing sound of the water encircling her.

What are they going to do to me?

Fear had now gripped the girl, that sense of dread fueling her completely and making her every action be driven by pure panic.

What if they decided to remove my existence entirely? I'm scared. I'm scared. 

Iris's body trembled and shook uncontrollably, her knees buckling down to the smooth surface beneath her feet while she huddled down into her own embrace—as if to protect herself from whatever might harm her.

What am I going to do? Who can help me? I'm all alone—A sudden gentle caress brushed up against her cheek, and the warm and soothing sensation had a calming effect on the girl.

"Eh?"

She tilted her head upward, her wide and anxious eyes searching for the source of the comforting touch. But there was nothing; everything, from her perspective, seemed to remain the same as the water continued to swirl around her.

Perhaps my mind was playing a trick on me.

Iris tilted her head downward again, her breath catching in her throat as tears now threatened to fall. But then she heard a soft yet somehow powerful whisper, filling her with the feeling that she was not alone.

"I'm here."

"W-who are you?" Iris asked in her hoarse voice, glancing around in confusion now that her body had finally started to relax and calm down from all the intense fear she had felt.

As she continued to wait for a response that seemed to never come, the hope that seemed to have just been rekindled quickly diminished. A feeling of emptiness and loneliness now crept over Iris, her eyes glazing over again as she waited for something that likely would not be coming in the first place.

This isn't good. I'm starting to hear voices in my head.

The girl let out a deep sigh, as if she had somehow given up. Her mind now felt strangely calm despite still being within the confines of her fear, and she strangely felt comforted by the dark tendrils on her hands.

Iris continued to kneel there, paying no mind to the minutes that seemed to have quickly passed before something caught her attention—the sound of the water had suddenly stopped, and as she looked up, she now saw the four ancient beings looking down from their thrones at her.

"Stand up, girl." Neris now spoke with a bit less of her previously cold tone, but her face now held more of a stern expression. Iris had also noticed the serpent in the outer left was more irritated and upset than his usual calm demeanour.

As the girl finally managed to push herself to her bare feet, her legs were still shaking from the previous panic and the emotional state she was in. Iris mustered all of her remaining courage to look back at them, her gaze lingering on the serpent, who was clearly the most upset of the bunch.

Her eyes then darted around between all four of them, trying to get a full assessment of their plan from their expressions.

"We have come to the conclusion that your presence brings far too much danger," Petros began, once again with his authoritative voice that carried a noticeable coldness and contrast to his earlier arrogant display.

"W-what? But I don't intend to harm anyone!" Iris immediately said, now defending herself as the threat that she represented suddenly became much more apparent to the group.

No! No! This can't be happening! 

Iris's body began trembling uncontrollably, and the girl became completely overwhelmed by fear and the thought of what the spirits might do to her.

"Your powers are the risks here," the fairy king now explained, lifting his hand up only to drop it seconds later. "Rest assured, we have no intentions of harming or even executing you."

"T-then.. what will you do?"

"We shall transport you to a restricted chamber where you will be permitted complete freedom of activity and no ability to cause harm or harmful effects." Neris now responded back with a light tone, but the severity of just exactly what those restrictions and conditions would be continued to cast an uneasy mood over the situation.

So their solution is to lock me away?  

"But...." Iris's gaze had now fallen towards the mineral that had yet to be tainted by her touch. The small flicker of hope that had began to rise within Iris's heart was quickly smothered by the new prospect of being restricted and trapped inside a dark chamber all by her own.

All alone. Forever. No. I can't go through that again.

Again? The question seemed to cause her mind to almost experience a complete reversal, sending the girl into confusion as it completely halted her thought process.

She stayed there frozen for quite some time now, just staring down at her feet before shaking her head to erase those thoughts.

I've only hurt so many creatures the moment I lay awake. I shouldn't be selfish.

"But...?" Neris repeated again, pushing for the girl to speak her truth despite being visibly overwhelmed by the situation and the sudden proposal given to her.

But that's not what I desire. That is not what I want.

"That... I..." The girl remained still, her voice still shaking with a hint of sadness and confusion. 

Why does it matter what I desire? It's for the greater good, right? Her mind now began to try and justify her situation, desperately seeking any sort of rational reason to accept the council’s decision over her fate. The voices of the other spirits were becoming audible, adding to the confusion and overall tension surrounding the situation.

But for who?

That last voice suddenly echoed in her mind, and her heart felt like it was about to split in two from the intense thoughts and confusion.

"Do I have a choice in this matter?" Iris’s words now come out slightly timid and meek, her head still tilted downwards as she struggled to even look towards the spirits.

A scoff now leaves Petros’s lips, his tone brimming with mockery and the clear presence of disdain. "Do you wish to keep living?" he asked coldly, looking at her with an air of superiority.

"Of course I do!" Iris now lifted her head up to stare directly into Petros's eyes.

Her sudden flare of anger had not fazed him in the slightest, the earth creature's stare remained fixed and unbothered, his tone continuing to carry the same mocking condescension. "Then the only choice you have in order to live is to accept our proposal and live like you're already dead."

"Petros!" Argastal suddenly raised his voice, his head now twisting to the side to face the earth creature.

"She needs to realise the reality of her situation." Petros replied bluntly to the fairy king, whose explanation was very vague. Now he looks back at the girl, his icy and cold glare seeming to freeze her in her tracks. "Your presence is a hindrance to all life and will not be welcomed by anyone." He jabs a cold and sharp finger at the girl.

As Petros’s words hit her, Iris felt a great wave of despair wash over her, and suddenly even a little flicker of faith and hope seemed to have been completely lost. The girl now stood frozen like a deer in the headlights, unable to say anything at all.

This isn't fair. I didn't ask for this.

The tip of the earth creature's stone-like finger was like a knife piercing directly into her heart, making her feel completely weak and powerless.

Tell them what you want. Another voice suddenly spoke up in Iris’s mind, which directly conflicted with her own thoughts.

Be angry. It was a deeper voice.

Be upset. It was unfamiliar.

Scream. It hungered for her.

Hurt them until everything feels better. It was angry for her.

Her inner thoughts and self had now started to fight back, almost aggressively. It was as if a different being existed inside her mind, not even wanting to be inside her body at the moment. Was it actually her own voice?

For a split second, Iris felt the urge to release her pent-up emotions regarding this injustice that had been imposed upon her life. A choice that was made without consulting her and that would surely decide her fate.

The desire to let loose briefly passed as though it were a fleeting dream as the girl quickly recalled the painful encounter with the poor blue pixie who had been on the receiving end of her uncontrolled emotions.

A small trickle of blood slowly drizzled down her soft and gradient lips as the girl bit down hard on them, hoping to halt these sudden intrusive thoughts that were trying to take over her mind.

Iris now felt all sense of fight and resistance leave her as her gaze fell downward in defeat, "I.. accept."

"It seems you're not that lacking." Petros now stated, but his words no longer carried any weight as Iris continued to stare aimlessly down at her feet and the smooth mineral beneath. The light within the crystal dimmed, its refracted tinge becoming darker underneath her.

I shouldn't have come here.


On the edge of the ruined borders of the former city of Triskellion, the duke himself had currently taken a role in helping and overseeing the restoration process which was currently ongoing.

The people who were in this area appeared to be much more calm, happy, and even spirited as they worked to restore their home to its former glory. Things seemed to be looking up once again, as if the city had finally begun to find peace and move on from its last disaster.

Home. The duke's began to feel a strange knot in his stomach as his mind continued to ponder that word; it was unfamiliar and strange in his mind, yet it brought about a comforting feeling as well.

Something felt quite amiss when he thought about the term, the knot in his stomach shifting a little in intensity as he continued to think more about this odd sensation.

"Sage." The duke suddenly called out to the woman, who was mere steps behind him. He had already sensed her presence purely based on the calm and cold energy that surrounded her—one that was quite similar to his own, although hers had a slight warmth hidden under it.

"The Eldorian specialist troops arrived, carrying an abundance of supplies and provisions." The stoic woman's rather stern voice cut through the air as Azrel turned to face her, his gaze swiftly landing on her pointed eyes, which were upturned and coloured like clover leaves. Her ice blonde hair, on the other hand, was neatly tied into a high ponytail and remained a calm counterpart to her sharp eyes.

“They are providing medical aid to the wounded and have offered to transport the severely injured back to the capital for more advanced and specialised care and treatment.” The stoic woman’s voice now continued, explaining further what the specialists had planned.

The duke nodded in acknowledgement. "How many casualties did we take?"

"Half-dozen men."

“I see…” 

"Please oversee and monitor the Eldorian troops closely, ensuring that they assist us with our wounded and any parties that require aid." The duke’s tone now shifted to a much more doubtful and weary attitude.

"Understood." And with that single simple word, the woman acknowledged the duke's true orders.

"You're dismissed."

Sage's actions were swift yet graceful, as she bowed her head and immediately turned around to walk away. Her movements remained quiet, even with her armour on as she departed.

Just like that, she was gone without another word spoken between them, leaving Azrel alone once more.

As the duke turned his attention back to the scene of his men, who were hard at work rebuilding the defences, he found his eyes now glancing over to the forest just outside of the current location. His gaze remained fixed on the wooded area for a few moments, an eerie sense of unease now beginning to wash over him.

No matter how much he tried to focus on his workers, his focus seemed to just keep wandering back to the deep and dense grove.

Aside from the nightly creatures that continued to plague his thoughts after the earthquake, his mind has also been haunted by unfamiliar voices.

The Highland Forest, which had always been shrouded in mystery and folklore, appeared to be a likely source of blame, although he couldn't exactly comprehend what and why it was even occurring in the first place.

His gaze remained fixated on the lush boughs and overgrown foliage, his mind now seemingly drawn to them with increasing curiosity.

Azrel had always been drawn to the supernatural, with a constant fascination with its allure and potential. The power that came with it was intoxicating; its origins and mystery were intriguing and irresistible.

The duke found himself unable to ignore the calling within him; his desire to march into those woods was only heightened after the recent earthquake. 

The man had often thought that the reasoning behind this obsession was connected to his own abilities, and it was indeed his powers that only served to strengthen his urge to explore the supernatural and all its depths.

A strange aching had also begun to surface as he tried to resist this impulse, as if he were now being punished for resisting the forest's beckoning call. 

Might there be something lurking between those towering trees? Something that calls for my blade to clear the path?

There was no question that the woods held secrets, and Azrel suddenly felt his body being filled with an overwhelming rush of energy as he contemplated the idea of there being an entity lurking within the dense forest.

A being crafted to be his perfect prey. For his blade to sever. For him to inflict its ruin. For it to awaken and become a worthy adversary. 

He was already envisioning the possibility of a challenge ahead, the excitement of which caused him to dig his fingers so deeply into his palm that a small cut even appeared—yet he felt no pain, and the sight of the small gash only added to his growing hunger to venture forth.

A being solely meant for him as the fated one.

Azrel immediately shook his head, trying to dispel the distasteful yet alluring thoughts that ran through his mind.

A 'Fated One'.

This was how the elders of spirits had described him during their first meeting, citing that his powers were an ancient blessing, powerful, and holy. However, they could never fully assess and comprehend the true nature of his abilities and therefore remained perplexed as to their origins and their scope.

The duke simply scoffed at the concept and dismissed it.

The term "ancient blessing" had always seemed a bit too dramatic and over-the-top to the man. It was as if the spirits were attempting to set up the situation to create a "hero" for themselves, but the duke was far too pragmatic to be fooled and see it as anything other than flattery.

What hero would harbour such twisted and depraved notions?

This power had made him a larger target for the deadly and horrifying beasts that roamed around the land since his youth, and he had been subjected to a fair share of terrible experiences due to it.

Despite his numerous encounters with the terrifying beasts and the traumatic experiences that resulted from them, the duke had not entirely erased his underlying fascination with them. Azrel's resolve to root out and purge the land of any traces of darkness is only further strengthened by these twisted beliefs.

Was his power truly considered to be a blessing? The man himself could never answer this question, and so it remained a constant thought of his.

"Your grace!" A familiar voice snapped him out of his thoughts. 

The presence of the approaching figure was one that radiated both cheeriness and sheer nervousness; it was an interesting contrast to the stoic and cold demeanour Azrel felt from his earlier encounter.

The difference between Magnus and Sage's energy was indeed night and day, and it brought a certain level of amusement to the duke. 

He turns to see his right-hand man looking concerned, his brown curly hair looking dishevelled and his protruding ebony eyes darting to the ground just for a fraction of a second—a clear indication that the companion had brought some less than cheerful news.

"The elders of the Highland... there has been no word from them."

Ah, what a pain.

The duke's face remained unchanged, yet he took in a deep breath, knowing that he could not fully provoke the ancient beings but that his work being disrupted was highly bothersome.

"The catastrophic earthquake must have affected them as well. Given their proximity to the mountains, it's certainly possible that they endured significant damage or destruction to their own structures and settlements." Magnus was swift to offer his thoughts, realising that silence would likely follow after the news.

Azrel understood that this habit was Magnus's way of assuring him and neutralising the potential tension, yet he understood its purpose and valued it nonetheless.

"Let us return to the base to further discuss this matter." The duke's response was brief and concise, his hand resting on Magnus's shoulder for a moment. With that, he walked past the now curious man, leaving Magnus to ponder the potential discussion that was to come.

The duke walked in silence, his sharp eyes sweeping across the walls of a ruined building, now made new and restored with advanced and intricate technology.

Regardless of how much time was required for the completion of the repairs, the duke was comforted by the fact that the repairs were ongoing.

Triskellion was a massive plot of land, one that would undoubtedly require a significant amount of time to fully heal and repair. However, the simple sight of the ongoing repairs was reassuring to him, as he could now feel confident that the damage caused would be mended soon.

"—We're going to die?!"

There came a shriek from around the corner—a sudden, startlingly loud sound that made both the duke and his right-hand man hesitate and stop in their tracks.

Well... that thought was nice while it lasted.

The loud and sudden cry was followed by the sound of children bickering, their voices echoing through the area.

"I didn't say that, dummy!" A deeper-sounding voice scolded the younger voice, coming from a boy who was clearly slightly older than the others.

"Then what did you mean by that?!"

"I just said that the earthquake must be a sign!"

"A sign of what?" Another voice, this time belonging to a third child, chimed in with the question, their tone filled with curiosity.

The arguments had become slightly more intriguing to the duke and his right-hand man as they eavesdropped on the conversation, trying to discern what it was about as they remained hidden from the children's line of sight.

"The prophecy!"

 

0