Chapter 03: First Light
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hidden near the edge of the enchanted forest was an area that was shrouded in mist, which covered the ground below like a mysterious blanket. The vibrant colours of the trees and flowers created a gorgeous atmosphere in this space, with each plant and flower having its own unique beauty. Yet there was an air of secrecy that surrounded this field, as though there were many secrets hidden deep beneath the surface.

One of the most mysterious aspects of this location was a body that was buried underneath the lush soil. Said body, buried underneath the field of vibrant life, had now been awoken.

A sudden sense of heaviness took over her whole being as she awakened from her slumber, as though there was a foot stepping on top of her chest. Each beat of her heart became more pronounced and made the feeling of suffocation even more intense.

The familiar murk that had enveloped her entire surroundings seemed to be beckoning her back, each pulse of the heart only made her feel more trapped and desperate.

Where am I? What is happening? Why can't I move freely?

Her eyes widened, and her heart began to race as an immediate sense of panic took over. Her breathing became shallower, and her body trembled out of control as she realised the full depth of her predicament. The soil was compressing around her quickly and mercilessly, leaving no room for escape or even to simply turn and face where her escape lay. 

"N-No! This can't be happening." Her cries for help were coming out as muffled whimpers and gasps for breath as the dirt grew closer and closer.

Tears began to well up in the girl's eyes, and a feeling of dread began to rip away every other emotion from her. With trembling hands that were pressed between the warmth of her body and the soil, she began to miserably claw her way out, tears streaming down her face and dirtcovering her body.

With each small movement of her fingers against the layer of dirt, it began to turn more moist and slippery, like mud. A sense of relief rushed across her entire body when she saw a faint light beginning to spill through the dirt.

She began to dig even more frantically, hoping to reach the light before it was too late. The sense of escape was almost in her grasp, and she was determined to reach it before her strength completely gave out.

Just a bit more! I can do this!

"Agh!" She forcefully wedged her hand in an attempt to catch the source of the gleam that was mocking her in the darkness, and as she did so, the touch of a light breeze grazed the tips of her fingers. The gentle caress of the air gave her a glimmer of hope, as it was the first sign that she was nearing the surface.

Her trembling hands were no longer bound by the clumping of dirt holding her down, as it had merely dissolved into a mud-like substance from her touch. The renewed sense of determination coursed through her as she frantically dug herself out without realising that her struggle had attracted an audience near the clearing.

As she sat up, the girl panted, her breath coming in short gasps and her body feeling so much lighter after being buried in the cold and hard ground. Tiny black and white spots invaded her field of vision as she breathed in the fresh air. When she finally managed to regain her bearings, she glanced around to register the area around her. The sight of the dense forest was quite overwhelming.

Where is this? Why am I here?

She shook her head in confusion, finding it difficult to gather her thoughts and make sense out of the situation. The intense emotions and rush of adrenaline from the moment she found the light and emerged from the dirt had left her feeling dazed and overwhelmed.

Her mind was still blank, and she was left feeling even more terrified and confused than before. When she looked down towards her fingers, she gasped in shock. The once-lush green grass had been completely turned into a dark pool beneath her touch, as though its life had been drained from her grasp. It was as though a poison of some kind had taken over the ground beneath her, turning it into a dark and malevolent liquid.

She retracted her hand instantly upon noticing the black veins beginning to consume her palm. The sight of the veins was a horrifying one, and she felt layers of unsettling emotion as she considered the implications of the dark liquid spreading upon her skin.

The girl remained silent as she kept staring at her hand and the darkness-shrouded liquid that was enveloping her as a blanket. 

Did I do this? As she brought her hand closer under the sun's dimming light, the veins began to seem even more imposing and ominous. The light glimmered off the black markings on her skin, only further emphasising their presence, "What.. even is this?"

She suddenly realised that it must be the same black ink that had covered her body in the darkness. The thought of it taking over her completely was a sickening one, and she was now terrified by the idea that a mere touch could bring so much damage.

An unexpected sound of leaves rustling startled her out of her focused inspection of the veins on her hand. She quickly swivelled her head towards the sound, only to see a tiny pair of eyes watching her from afar. She had suddenly lost track of who or what was watching her, now feeling exposed with her hand still outstretched towards the sky.

The girl remained on edge, feeling the need to be cautious as she saw that there were many of the tiny creatures present.

She slowly stood up, making her way towards the small creatures without realising how much of the dark substance was dripping off her lower body, further tainting the ground in her wake with each step she took.

The girl stopped when she saw them start to flap around. The fear and panic in her voice were evident when she reached out to them in desperation. "W-wait!" she shouted, only to quickly pull back her hand in fear. She had remembered what had happened with the grass beneath her touch. She felt trapped between the overwhelming desire to get to know the small creatures and the fear of what her touch might do to them, as it had done to everything else around her.

The soft and gentle breeze carried with it the faint sound of small bells ringing, a sound that was comforting and soothing to her ears. She stood there and watched the pixies argue with one another away from her position, the sound of their voices carried by the wind.

What do I do now? The girl pondered, she felt a sudden hit of longing and a deep sense of despair as she cast her gaze downward.

The realization that she was alone and utterly confused overwhelmed her, as she was left with nothing but her own thoughts.

A voice rang inside her mind, it was haunting and familiar at the same time. It promised her to come forth during her awake state, offering solace and comfort in times of darkness and confusion. The voice called out to her, with a lure of familiarity and nostalgia. It felt like someone she knew—someone who could offer refuge and safety in times of need.

Who was I supposed to wait for?

 

0