Chapter 07: Blooming Iris
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The spirit that was brought along by the pixies was no shorter than 5 feet in height, his long and lustrous golden silken hair cascading down the elegant robes that engulfed his entire physique. His majestic presence was only enhanced by the crown of wood that rested upon his head, the distinctive spikes lending an intimidating appearance, although the softness and gentle nature of his facial features contrasted with the intensity of his overall presence.

What a handsome individual, he's practically glowing under the sunlight.

The girl was mesmerised by the sight of the spirit's sapphire blue eyes that resembled the clear and pristine morning sky, complementing his olive-toned skin. His roman nose and chiselled jawline added an air of royalty to his overall appearance, complete with his elegant and pristine verdant robes accentuating his already magnificent aura.

"Are you going to continue remaining silent and staring at me?" The spirit's voice had a slight hint of impatience and irritation to it, snapping the girl out of her thoughts and returning her full attention to the spirit.

The girl was taken aback by the spirit's words, exclaiming out of surprise and shock in a fluster. She quickly composed herself and gathered her thoughts again to speak in a more clear and composed tone. "Oh! Um, I have no intentions to corrupt or destroy anything."

He doesn't look like he believes me.

The spirit's gaze was now focused on her arms, particularly the ominous-looking veins that seemed to have covered her arms up to the elbows. Their expression changed from one of suspicion to confusion and skepticism. "... Is that so?" The spirit asked with a note of doubt and uncertainty in his voice.

"Your mere arrival here has already decimated half the forest life. Not to mention, your very existence emanates a strange, unfamiliar, and incompatible energy that clashes against the magic here." He gestured towards her awakening spot, clearly showing a large patch of decay and disruption all around in their immediate vicinity.

The spirit paused, taking a moment to process and consider what he had just said. "Much like someone I know..." He muttered to himself before remaining silent for a few moments as he mulled over his own words, trying to piece things together and make sense of it all.

He looks kind but he's rather scary.

The girl turned towards the once lush, green, and vibrant environment that had completely transformed and decayed. The sight of it sent a shiver down her spine and a knot of dread in her stomach, the realisation of her culpability and guilt sinking in had overwhelmed her.

"I'm sorry, but I don't have an explanation for that." She spoke with a soft yet regretful tone in her voice. 

As if baffled and confounded by her response, the spirit's eyes showed a mixture of emotions, including slight anger and agitation but mostly a look of curiosity and confusion. He looked back at her with a raised eyebrow, clearly questioning the validity of her words.

He's definitely suspicious of me.

"Truly?" He asked with a tone that was equal parts frustration and suspicion.

Seeing the girl's downturned eyes and expressions, it was apparent that she was not holding any malice or malfeasance in her intentions. Instead, she was merely afraid and fearful, as seen through the look in her eyes and her body language.

The spirit's cross-armed pose and demanding tone made him appear to be quite agitated and impatient. As he watched the girl give a simple nod of her head, the spirit abruptly inquired, "Well then, what explanation can you give me?" He expressed a sharp irritation and expectation.

The girl responded with a simple shake of her head, appearing hesitant and unsure, "I... just woke up here."

A long sigh left the spirit's mouth, as his expression had changed from one of anger and suspicion to a newfound tone of curiosity. He looked at the girl with a somewhat different gaze now, as if he were reassessing her situation and feeling pity for her.

"Perhaps we did this in the wrong order. My apologies, miss...?" The spirit apologised with a polite smile and with more kindness in his expression compared to his earlier tone. The girl could only stare at him in response once more, a guilty look crossing her face as she realised—"I don't remember my name."

A slight twitch of the spirit's eyebrow was noticed by the girl as he continued his questions. Yet with each of his probing queries, the girl only shook her head each time, failing yet again to provide an answer.

"Age?" The spirit asked again.

"Birthplace?"

"Family?"

The girl shook her head each time, her expression growing more dejected after each failed attempt at answering.

The spirit was seemingly at a loss for words, as he sighed deeply before continuing, "You—" He attempted to compose himself and express himself in a more formal and respectful manner. 

"I'm s-sorry... I really can't remember anything." Upon hearing the girl's admission, the spirit noticed a faint sniffle. There was a sudden shift in energy and atmosphere that made the spirit grow more observant and cautious, feeling that something was amiss or awry.

The male spirit had now felt a wave of guilt washing over him as he saw the girl on the verge of tears. He felt regretful and sympathetic towards her, thinking that he had perhaps gone too far with his probing questions and the harsh words he had used.

Aware that the girl appeared to be overwhelmed and upset, the spirit tried to both inquire and provide comfort at the same time. He spoke softly and calmly, asking, "Do you carry an epithet that I may use to refer to you instead?"

"... What is that?" Her fragile voice betrayed a hint of breaking down as she spoke, her eyes growing glossy as she stared at him. The spirit was taken aback for a moment, unsure if he should continue to press the question or back off.

"It's technically a nickname, one that serves as a temporary name for you. However, that title can become permanent as well if you prefer it over whatever you were previously known as." The spirit's explanation seemed to provide some sense of relief to the girl, who seemed momentarily overwhelmed by the unfamiliar concept.

While the spirit's elaboration seemed to ease the girl's immediate distress and uncertainty, her mood quickly dampened as she replied, "No... I don't have an ep-epithet," she said with a sombre and sorrowful tone, letting out a heavy sigh as she lowered her head.

A slight groan of frustration escaped the spirit's mouth as he face-palmed himself. Now feeling remorseful for putting the girl through so many interrogations and stressful questions, he decided it would be best if he merely gave the girl a sobriquet instead.

"Would it be alright if I gave you an informal title then? Calling you 'you', all the time would be impolite."

The girl's expression appeared to light up slightly at the request, giving a soft nod in response, as she was eager for any sort of name to cling to.

The small smile on the spirit's face was certainly captivating, complementing his overall enchanting aura. His blue eyes quickly danced about the surroundings, seemingly taking in everything before landing on a specific flower. "Iris?"

The spirit's question had a subtle layer of mystery and interest wrapped up in it, perhaps leading to a deeper metaphor or symbolic significance.

The spirit's suggestion of Iris as a name seemed to immediately capture the girl's attention and intrigue her. It almost seemed like it sparked something deep inside her, as if it sounded familiar or significant in some way. Yet at the same time, there was also this sudden sense of doubt or uncertainty, as if something about the name felt off.

Why do I feel like I've heard someone once calling me something similar...

The spirit's perception of disappointment from the girl made him momentarily pause. "Hm? You seem rather disappointed by that name. Do you dislike it?" To which the girl quickly shook her head with a doubtful expression. 

"I like it." She replied back with a smile, genuinely relieved and pleased to have a name given to her, even if it was only temporary for now. The spirit's expression softened immediately as a sign of relief to see the girl's smiling reaction.

"My apologies. I have been rather rude to you. It's only fair that I introduce myself properly." The spirit seemed genuinely remorseful as he reflected upon his harsh treatment of the girl previously and felt guilty for his lack of civility towards her. Upon introducing himself, he sounded disappointed in himself, acknowledging his own lack of manners.

"My name is Argastal Cinlis Feymir, King of the Fairies."

He offered his palm out for her to take as the gentle smile remained on his face, greeting her and expressing his pleasure in meeting her.

The girl's eyes widened in fear and surprise as it darted to the fairy king's hand, realising that he was offering it out in goodwill. Yet she was well aware of her own capabilities and the power they may possess. Knowing her touch alone could lead to disastrous and devastating results.

The girl froze, afraid at the mere thought of accidentally causing any harm.

 

0