V1. Chapter 1 : “Recruitment”
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A nightguard is walking in the middle of the darkness that enveloped the whole courtyard and the gravel path that he's treading on is illuminated by the flashlight he was holding. A sense of stillness descends upon the tranquil surroundings, a sullenness which is broken only by the chirping of crickets and hoots of owls from the nearby woods.

“Scheiss drauf,” he mumbled. “These stupid lights better be worth my next paycheck.”

Within the few minutes of walking, his feet brought him to the corner of the metal fences where an electrical control cabinet stood. He was about to pluck the keyring from his utility belt but he noticed, to his surprise, that it's already ajar.

Was there some idiot fiddling with this box? He sighed as he brushed off the thought.

Yanking the cabinet's doors apart, the nightguard flicked the switches on that awoken the latent lights around the manor. The luminescence emanating from the lamp posts flooded the once-obscured courtyard, along with the beaming lights from the windows of the imposing mansion as they lit up one by one.

Locking the electrical cabinet shut, he proceeded to saunter back to his post with a resigned sigh. His hands flicked the flashlight off before holstering it back to his utility belt as he walks, his leather shoes falls flat on the brick pathway, emanating a series of faint thuds in the process.

Upon reaching the central fountain, his steps took a halt upon hearing rustles from the bushes that lined up the path behind him. He spared the bushes a brief glance, his eyebrows curled upon the area around it still and undisturbed.

Stupid critters. He rolled his eyes in pure annoyance and carried on to his trail. All of a sudden, a hard force whipped his back that sent him flying to the nearest wooden bench that was shattered into pieces upon impact.

“Guhh!!” he lied there, writhing in pain as he clutch his waist.

His eyes widened upon seeing his assailant, it was standing there, staring at him with its yellow glowing eyes, hunched into a feral, predatory posture.

The nightguard got up on his feet with a pained grunt, and hurriedly limped towards a closed wooden door of the mansion. A defeaning screech echoed across the courtyard that prompted him to look back, only to see the thing to seemingly vanish out of thin air from its position.

“No, no!” he yelled as he reach the door. With a panicked breath, he went for the knob and tried to twist it forcefully before starting to knock relentlessly, with loud thuds echoing around him. “Sir Owen! Sir Owen!”

The nightguard’s ears perked up upon hearing a series of cracking sounds behind him. He gulped the lump of saliva building up in his throat, and slowly turned his head with watering eyes. There, just a few inches away, he came face to face with a creature that was so messed up that his mind himself can't comprehend whatever it is. An amalgamation of something human, but not quite.

Its empty eye sockets are dripping with strange black liquid, and features yellow glowing dots that are peering deep into his soul.

The nightguard's legs began to shake and beads of sweat started to form around his forehead. Moments passed by between them, staring at each other motionless, until—

“AAAAHHH!!”

Blackness...


November 13, 2012...

10:23 AM, REISS Headquarters. Danelburg, Azurea...

The air in the office holds a lingering hint of paint that was blown by the ceiling fan above. The bustling noise from the corridor outside is blocked by the enclosed space of the room, giving it a soothing atmosphere of silence.

Noralie is seated on an uncomfortably squeaky oak chair. The strands of her long brown hair are slightly being blown by the gust from the whir of the fan. In front of her is an office desk, occupied by a middle aged woman in a formal suit attire.

“So, Miss Schumacher,” the woman clasped her hands together. “What are your reasons for pursuing a degree in the study of phantom behavior and anatomy, and further operative training service in the academy?”

“Since I was a child, Commissioner Engelhaft, I was always been fascinated about the study of phantoms.” Noralie adjusted her glasses, “Back then, I always found myself spending time in libraries, and watching tv programs especially documentaries about them. Until a realization hit me that this is my passion, and I will continue this on.”

Commissioner Engelhaft nodded and opened the white folder placed on her desk. “We are well-aware about the circumstances of your family, Miss Schumacher. Your father, Gerhard Schumacher was also an operative, a squad leader to be exact. Is he one of the reasons why you want to join the REISS’ workforce?”

“Yes, ma’am. The day we recieved the news about my father's death, mama and I were so devastated. It served as my motivation to continue on honoring my father's legacy.”

“Your answers are helpful, Miss Schumacher, and there are times when we're uncertain about things and all, but that's just part of everyone's lives.”

Commissioner Engelhaft’s words were left hanging on air as a sudden silence grew between the two. The look that the commissioner is giving Noralie is enough to make her uncomfortable, prompting her to subconsciously adjust her seat.

“You know, your father was a dedicated man, Miss Schumacher.” Commissioner Engelhaft smiled. She opened her desk's drawer box, and pulled out an envelope with Noralie's name, and the black and white wyvern logo of REISS imprinted on it.

“I’m sure, you'll honor your father’s name and become a valuable operative of REISS someday, recruit,” she handed the envelope to Noralie. “Inside this is your identification card. You can start your first day tomorrow but you will have to visit your bloc's overseer by then. Regarding whom, please refer to your identification sheet.”

Noralie reached for the envelope, giving it a quick glance before tucking it in her vest’s pocket, “Thank you, ma'am.”

“Welcome to REISS.”

Noralie clutched her satchel as she got up from her seat and slightly bowed her head in courtesy, which was returned with a nod by the commissioner. Walking out of the office, where she had a hard time pulling the heavy glass door, she was greeted by the corridor where the other recruits are lined up, occupying the row of plastic chairs as they wait their turn for the interview.

Noralie carried on her tracks amidst the waves of passersby until she reached the busy lobby of the building that was filled with incessant chattering and bustling footsteps. A wide smile is fixated across her face as she pull out the envelope from her pocket, which she eyed with an accomplished glance. She did it, years of effort and dedication finally led her to this moment.

She nodded at herself and navigated her way through the crowd, eventually reaching the sliding glass doors that automatically opened as she approach, allowing her to pass through. On her way out, her eyes were invaded by the warm rays of the morning sunlight.

Her vision adjusted, and found herself walking through the periphery of the headquarters. Before her is the white-painted concrete landscapes, where plots of well-trimmed bushes of different shapes outlines the boundaries of walkways. At the distance, there's a resting area, decked by benches and tables that are protected by wide umbrellas against the unpredictable weather.

There's also a parking lot at the opposite side, where a bunch of vehicles rests still and undisturbed. Behind Noralie is the gigantic headquarters of the REISS, surrounded by the concrete landscapes and vast pastures of lush grasslands.

The headquarters being situated in an isolated area is a necessary precaution if they want to avoid the public being exposed from the captive phantoms they bring in inside the HQ's compounds, as it takes time to document them before transporting them off to the extermination facilities where they'll be neutralized for good.

After a few minutes of walking, Noralie reached the side of the empty highway, where a bus stop was located. There's also a crowd there, waiting for a transport they can ride on. Noralie strode and joined them in, seemingly blending with them by the same attire they are all donning; a long-sleeve polo shirt topped by a button-up blue lightweight vest, black pants, and sleek formal footwear.

A few moments of pacing and idling have passed, a bus finally took a halt infront of them just a few feet away, its metallic body emitting a sharp, mechanical sound.

Its doors parted with a hiss and one by one, the bystanders goes in with Noralie following behind. It closed its doors once more, and started to rev forward towards the hustle and bustle of the heart of the city of Danelburg.


11:30 AM...

The ride was mostly uneventful as Noralie spent the past hour gazing at the view and counting the vehicles that passed by through the window by her side. She was dropped off by the bus on a parkway of a suburban area where a five-floor apartment block stood near.

Her feet landed on the concrete pavement, and the bus then continued its trek across the road until disappearing at the distance. As the day transition from morning into noon, the streets before her started to get crowded by the bustling activities of the residents in the area. There are people taking a stroll, children playfully running across the road, and cars that occasionally cruises by at a gentle speed.

She entered the apartment block, only to be greeted by a lone disgrunted cleaner who's mopping the white-tiled floor, preoccupied by his earphones that dulls the noises of the world around him.

Passing through the cleaner, Noralie proceeded towards the stairs that headed to the second floor, where she counted each doors one by one looking for her apartment unit, until eventually reaching the sixth room.

Grabbing the knob, she slowly opened the door that let out a faint creak. At the corner, she saw her mother, Mrs. Schumacher, busy on wiping the flat screen television on the desk with a damp rag.

Noralie snuck inside and gently closed the door shut. She slowly approached her mother and almost had her feet tip-toeing as she try to contain the smile that’s slowly creeping up across her face.

“Booyahh!” she abruptly shook Mrs. Schumacher's shoulders, getting her off guard

“Uwah! Mother duck!” She yelled and instantly turned around, only to see Noralie laughing uncontrollably. “What do you think you're doing, young woman?!”

“BAHAHAHAHA!”

“Very funny,” Mrs. Schumacher playfully smacked her with the rag. “So how did the interview went?”

It took a moment for Noralie's laughter to cease. Wiping out the tears from her eyes, she fetched the envelope from her pocket and handed it over her mother. “The commissioner told me I can start tomorrow.”

“That's great then,” Mrs. Schumacher took the envelope and examined its contents for a moment before handing it back to her. “I always knew that you can make it.”

“Aww, psshhh.” Noralie’s cheeks slightly flushed.

“Your meal is prepared on the table, by the way. Go on and have a lunch.”

“Aren't you joining me?”

“I just finished, dear, and I also need to head out soon.” said Mrs. Schumacher as she resumed tidying the figurine displays on the desk. “You know how Callie and Roxie grows restless when no one’s around the house.”

Noralie proceeded to change into her casual house wear—a loose-fitting t-shirt and running shorts, before making her way to the table where she opened a casserole of tender pork, which had been marinated in a sweet and sour sauce her mother prepared for her.

With a watering mouth, she moved to the sink where she took a plate from the dish rack before going in to savor the pleasant and tangy flavor of her meal.

While she devours her food greedily, Mrs. Schumacher took a seat on the opposite side of the table, looking at her with a wistful smile.

“Don't rush it, dear. No one's stealing your plate.”

Noralie look up from her plate with puffed cheeks under her childish smile along with the smear of red sauce that paints her lips.

Mrs. Schumacher continued with a smile, “I'm sure your father is proud to see where you are now.”

Whamph aboumt mou, ma,” Noralie gulped. “Are you proud of me?”

“Nora, I’m both glad and proud for you that you achieved what you always wanted to be. I want you to know that I am always here, Supporting you as always...”

“...and now that you've grown up and away from me, I'm not gonna be able to look after you anymore, my baby girl.” Mrs. Schumacher leaned close. “So promise me that you'll be careful out there, okay?”

Unsure of what to say, Noralie answered with a silent nod. Her gaze remained fixated on her mother, suddenly becoming aware of the passage of time etched gracefully across her features. Mrs. Schumacher's once chestnut-brown hair, tied in a bun, displaying a delicate streaks of gray, and her face bears the gentle traces of wrinkles.

The whole space fell silent as the weight of the last words that came out from Mrs. Schumacher left a solemn atmosphere in the air around them. Though they had been inseparable for years, they now stood on the cusp of residing in two distant abodes. Isn't moving out fun?

1:12 PM...

The two found themselves at the door, bidding their farewell to each other. Mrs. Schumacher stood there with the luggage of her belongings at hand, ready to leave.

“You'll always give me a call, okay?”, she said, caressing Noralie's hair. “I may visit once in a while, the house is going to be quiet without you there.”

“You have the cats, ma.” Noralie smiled. “Take care of them for me, especially Roxie since she’s a mischievous one.”

“Of course, don’t worry about them.” Mrs. Schumacher chuckled, “What you should be worrying is your well-being, Dear. Stay vigilant, your father damn well know how dangerous that operative job is.”

“Oh come on ma, I'll beat those things into pulp. I got this Schumacher blood in me.” Noralie huffed and flashed her arm's muscle that left the two cackling. “Anyways, I'll accompany you to the bus stop.”

“Oh no you, I can go there myself. What you should do is save your energy, you have a long day ahead of you tomorrow.”

“Ahh no, I insist.” winked Noralie but her mother’s determined and decided gaze made her scratch the back of her head. “You sure? Well, I guess....take care?"

“You too, dear.” Mrs. Schumacher leaned in and kissed her daughter's forehead, “I'll go now.”

Noralie watched her mother walk across the hallway until disappearing from view as she descend down the stairs. Closing the door shut, she leaned on the wall behind her, wrapping herself with the cradle of her arms.

She can't help but feel guilty on dismissing her mother's concerns and worry over her chosen career. She doesn't blame her though, considering what fate her father ended up to.

Gerhard Schumacher was also a REISS operative, having served in the roles of both squad leader and representative. Back in the old days, Noralie will anticipate her father's return from work, who will then share stories about the live phantom investigations he had been working on.

Until one night, he never returned. The only thing Noralie and her mother recieved was a phone call from the REISS higher-ups who stated that Gerhard was killed in action during one of their operations. They attended the funeral held at the Cemetery of the Knights, which was attended by the high ranking Azurean brass and the other grieving families of the unfortunate operatives who also met their demise from the previous operation. That day was the last time Noralie ever saw her father.

I'm sorry, mama...

Wanting to ease her feelings, she closed her eyes and went deep into the recesses of her mind, allowing herself to aimlessly drift into the clouds.

She spent the next few hours sitting lazily on the couch and binging the episodes of The Dusk of the Dead on the tv until her eyelids feel heavy. Almost dozing off into unconsciousness until her phone suddenly vibrated.

A message from her mother— ‘Just arrived at home :)’

Rubbing her eyes, she turned the television off with the remote at hand. She stood up, and sauntered towards her drawer to top her shorts with a pair of comfy stretchable pants.

She then took the laptop that rests atop the nightstand beside her bed and slipped it in a plain-black laptop case, before proceeding to head out of her unit.

Emerging out from the apartment block, she walked through the pavement of the active streets of the suburbs of Aurich, with an exception to the vehicles that occasionally passes by.

Turning onto a block near the highway that bordered the suburbs, Noralie reached the cafe she had been visiting lately. She pushed the glass doors open and entered, where she was met by a crowd of customers, along with the war sensation from the heaters and aroma from the freshly brewed coffee that wafts through the air.

Taking a seat at an unoccupied table, that she's lucky to find, she pulled out the laptop from her tote bag and booted it on. The screen then came to life, displaying an initializing sequence featuring a pear-shaped logo in the background.

From the storefront windows, a caravan of REISS vehicles raced across the highway at top speed, their emergency lights flashing an alternate colors of red and blue.

Glancing toward the cafe counter, Noralie squinted at a television perched atop it. The screen was displaying a news report about a phantom attack that's currently happening in a department store, which is coincidentally not far from the cafe's location.

She shrugged it off and returned her attention to her laptop. There’s nothing she can do about it for now, but tomorrow will change that. She’s an operative now just like her father was. Phantoms claiming lives left and right, spreading the corrupted ailment of the AGDS as they go, and thousands of reported deaths everyday; it’s about time for Noralie to make a difference, to protect the innocent with her arms and release the anger she had been repressing inside her against the pests of mankind that claimed the life of her beloved father.

Suddenly, she was approached by a fierce-looking teenager who wears a white polo shirt of gray trimmings with a familiar-looking school logo stitched on his chest, his eyebrows are curled, and eyes are fixated towards Noralie with a sharp gaze. Balancing two plates of cake, there's a pink-haired girl who's probably years younger than him, who was holding a couple of coffee mugs that emits a faint steam, standing just behind him.

“Excuse me, miss,” asked the teenager guy. “Is it okay if we sit down here?”

“Sure thing.” Noralie smiled and quickly stole a glimpse at his ID. Ryu Akuma huh? Interesting...

“Thanks,” placing their snacks on the table, they took seats adjacent to Noralie.

She refocused her eyes on the laptop infront of her with the remaining time passing in a blur as she delved into hours of surfing the depths of the internet, letting herself enjoy the rest of the day, unwinding from the pressures of tomorrow's big day.

1