V1. Chapter 4 : “Baümer’s Mansion”
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

West District. Danelburg, Azurea...

The squad's van cruised along the highways of Danelburg. Towering over them are the Gothic-styled buildings, their surfaces were intricately chiseled with precision, as well as the imposing skyscrapers that reflects the rays of the sun from their shiny glass windows. The absence of conversation hung in the air like a gentle mist as the three were lost in their thoughts under the thunderous symphony of the vehicles that zipped past the road.

Noralie gazed at her phone's wallpaper, caressing her mother's face in the image that was captured during her graduation from college about a year ago. In the photo, Noralie wore a blue graduation gown with gold trimmings and a silver medal around her neck. Standing beside her was Mrs. Schumacher, her arms are wrapped around Noralie's shoulders.

Through the rearview mirror, Ilse noticed the distant glimmer that creased around Noralie's sullen eyes. Wanting to uplift the mood, she turned on the radio, which began to play an electrifying basslines of a guitar as it crackled to life. "Hey, Noralie, we're almost there."

Noralie slipped the phone back to her pocket and focused on the way ahead.

They slowed their speed upon entering a neighborhood of nearly-identical houses, where the road changed from flat asphalt into lumpy, asymmetrical waves of paving stones. Timber-framed homes with steeply pitched roofs lined the streets, their exteriors exposed dark grey bricks, and their lawns are filled with flowerbeds that sprinkled the area with an assortment of colors.

"Calm down, we're not going to die," Carl glanced at Noralie through the rearview mirror. "This case is literally so easy."

"Enough with your cockiness, bozo," Ilse scoffed. "Last time I know, Leon had to save your arse."

"Ilse is right, Carl," Noralie broke her silence. "We don't know what phantom we're dealing with yet."

Ilse nodded, "Exactly."

"Bahh, whatever."

Their vehicle turned to a block that ended the cobblestone road into a gravel path that had their tires producing rough and crunchy sounds as they roll.

The path is bordered by sturdy oak trees that gave shade to the way from the warm, noon sun, and they slowed down upon seeing the metal gates that blocked the path. There were a couple of PRU agents inside, standing attentively. Upon seeing their vehicle, one of them approached the latch and pushed the gates outwards, made the hinges do high-pitched squeaks. The other guard waved to the team's van, motioning for them to enter which prompted Carl to shift the gear and drive in, continuing their trek through the driveway.

They parked on the green lawn, where a vehicle of the Phantom Response Unit also rests, and the three hopped off from their vehicle, letting the grass cradle their steps. Noralie began adjusting her combat vest, loosening its straps to allow herself for a more flexible movement. Beside her is Ilse, her hands are up in the air while stretching her upper body.

"Wow." Carl approached the stone path connecting the mansion that stood over the distance, "This place didn't aged well."

Together, the three walked to the path that led them towards the classical manor. There's not much fanciness to it just like Carl stated; the faded paintjob and dilapidated edges evokes a creepy sensation. By adding some dark clouds and bits of lightning, this place could be a perfect set for a horror film.

Upon reaching the porch, they came across a PRU Agent, who gave them a nod as they approach.

"You're finally here." The agent handed a black binder to Carl consisting a thick set of papers tucked in it, "Here are the files Lead Zimmermann requested."

"Gee, thanks." Carl reached for it before handing it over to Noralie.

"No problem, just doing my job. Do you have any questions before I go?"

"Nahh, you can go now. Lock your doors and stay in your houses 'cuz the Orion Thirteen is here to save the day."

"Whatever, dude." The agent huffed in frustration before departing, leaving the team on their own.

Ilse elbowed Carl's stomach, knocking the air out of his lungs, "You fool. We could've asked for anything useful."

"Oof— Hey!"

"Consider keeping your mouth shut next time, okay?"

The three then proceeded into the dim grand foyer, illuminated only by an ambient lighting that's coming from the window of the dining area to the left, and the stair hall ahead. Suddenly, a series of dog barks echoed from the room to their right, abruptly alerting their senses.

A man in a formal suit emerged from the doorway of the room, his hair is well-combed, and has a trimmed thin mustache across his upper lip. He bent forward, bowing his head slightly before rising back up. Beside him is a husky dog coated in white and brown fur. It rested its hinds on the floor, staring at them with its deep-bluish eyes that filled with pure curiosity.

"Greetings, esteemed operatives." The man greeted, adjusting his bowtie. "Allow me to extend my warmest regards. My name is Owen Achenbach, the chief butler of the Baümer's Mansion."

"Good day to you, sir," Carl offered a hand to Owen, who grasped his hand for a firm handshake. "So as you can see, we're the operatives sent by REISS and we're tasked here to conduct the investigation regarding the occurances on this place. Mind telling us more about it?"

"Of course..." Owen looked at Carl's nametag on his vest. "Herr Schmidt. Come on in."

Owen headed back to the room behind him and the dog trailed behind. Noralie and her companions then followed suit. Upon entering, they were greeted by a cozy study room, walled by wooden paneling as well as bookshelves that are filled with leather-bound books. There are also stained glass pane windows that allow glimpses outside, draped by crimson red curtains.

They all settled at the table and Noralie proceeded to rummage the contents of the binder which Ilse helped to organize page by page. Each page containing the current information about the phantom, which, according to the file is indeed codenamed as 'Eidessa'.

"Once again, I express my gratitude for your presence," remarked Owen. "It is evident that this location bears the characteristics of an antiquated site. Notwithstanding its age, it is noteworthy that this marks the inaugural instance of a phantom setting foot within its premises."

"Geez." Carl's chair creaked as he adjusted his seat, and tried mimicking Owen's accent, "Uhmm, do yous have any ideas where it may came from?"

"There are a couple of possibilities to envisage about; either the provenance is extrinsic, or a lone, unfortunate mitarbeiter within this acreage has succumbed to the AGDS suppuration."

"Regarding the 'first' found body, who was it and where did you found it?" Ilse chimed in.

"The individual in question was identified as Furlan, an unfortunate member of the nightguard staff. A maid reported the discovery of his decapitated remains right outside the door of the courtyard. Regrettably, his head has yet to be located."

"The phantom's victims are mostly found at the courtyard, correct?"

"Indeed, Junge Dame," Owen nodded. "However, among the significant number of the people that went missing, most are still not found."

"Where are the other employees, by the way? It's kinda quiet here," Noralie asked.

"In light of the inherent hazards associated with remaining within this vicinity, I deemed it imperative to ensure the safety of our employees by arranging for their return to their respective residences."

"So before we arrived, there's only you?"

"That is correct."

The group went silent for a while, weighing how they will approach the situation. Noralie grasped the binder of documents with her hands. Perhaps, they could reveal useful clues and hints that can shed light to the nature of their mission?

Ultimately, she decided, "I think we should gather as much information before nightfall, don't you think, Carl?"

"That's a good idea but unfortunately, we don't know where to start yet." Carl turned to face Owen. "Are you going to do anything today?"

"I am currently burdened with a substantial volume of pending office tasks. Nevertheless, I am more than willing to extend my assistance as per your request."

"Nice." Carl shifted his attention to Noralie and Ilse, "You guys can focus on studying the files Walter sent to us. There could be some useful stuffs beneath those texts I'm just gonna—"

"And you? What are you planning to do, huh?" Ilse cuts him off whilst raising a brow.

"I'm going to do a recon around the area, duh. Anyhoo, we shouldn't be wasting time any longer. Let's go." Carl winked and proceeded to head out of the room.

"You are free to utilize the room with your purposeful pursuits, operatives. If you require further assistance, I'll be right at my office." Owen excused himself, leaving Noralie and Ilse in the study room under the company of Owen's husky dog who was lying on the floor in a donut pose near them.

"Who's a good doggy, who's a good doggy?" Ilse carefully stretched her hand and gently pats the dog's head before taking a look at its collar's tag. "Nice meeting you, Luna."

"So Noralie, how do you wish to proceed?" she adjusted her position, and leaned her back on her seat.

Noralie wrinkled her forehead. "H-huh? Why ask?"

"Walter appointed you as the specialist so technically speaking, you're in a higher position than I am. As the research analyst, I'll be here supporting you in your findings. Hmm?"

"W-well, we are yet to look into these files so..." Noralie eyed the binder at her hands, "...I say we must squeeze it thoroughly first for every bits of useful information we can get."

"That's a plausible approach. Let's start?"

Noralie nodded and together, the two rummaged the first few pages of the file that contains mostly about Eidessa's profile information. Based on the prior observations of the PRU, the phantom is approximately 6 feet tall, and moves around on all fours in an animalistic set of motions. It is believed that the Eidessa possesses strength and exceptional agility as indicated by the damages seen around the premises of the manor, one of the perks of it being a hunter-type phantom.

The scouting unit seemed to experience difficulties on the documentation of Eidessa's appearance due to its elusive nature but there are distinct physical traits that the PRU and the scouting operatives have noticed. First is its crude bony tail which is theorized to be what it uses to disable its prey, and the possibility of it having claws or talons as seen on the fatal marks on the deceased bodies of the found victims.

The two came across the section named 'Observations', the following pages suggests that it has established a heavily concealed nest around the area where Eidessa could likely dwells during the day, and where the missing victims possibly are in. The scouting operatives also tried utilizing tracking devices to trace its nest but for some unexplained causes, the equipments just glitched and ended up malfunctioning despite them being in a totally good condition.

Ilse handed the extension of the file section, in which Noralie thoroughly scanned. The text states that Eidessa has a habit on staying at the courtyard as it is often encountered there and is aggressive towards the people it came across around the area. Its attachment at the specific place of a mansion could indicate that there's indeed someone in the mansion who succumbed to the AGDS.

If that's the case then, who might be it? Noralie thought to herself.

The two were in full force of concentration with the help of the cozy solitude around them as they indulg into hours of inquiry. The time that passed became dull, making them completely lost in the trance of the time that passed by.


The day progressed in a blur and the surroundings outside is now bathed in hues of orange, pink, and purple as the sun begins its descent to the west. Ilse is slumped on the table, with faint snores emanating from her direction. While Noralie is seated in pure concentration, her eyes dropping with mental exhaustion as she look at the final pages of the files.

She took her glasses off and rubbed her eyes. Her stomach growls in hunger, and back hurts for hours of sitting on the hard flat surface of her seat. They have indeed acquired an adequate amount of information, but there's still a lot of details missing on it, making most of the contents of the file look like a collection of flapdoodles.

"Pssst," Noralie taps Ilse's shoulder.

Ilse's eyes flickered and stared at her with narrowed eyes. "Hmmm?"

"You dozed off."

Ilse got up, yawned while rubbing her eyes. "Did you find anything?"

"Its fruitless. Can't piece anything together," Noralie sighed. "Had useful information but that's it."

"Verdammt," Ilse cursed under her breath. "Where's Carl, anyway?"

"He's still at the courtyard, doing a recon."

"That jerk." Ilse hissed.

The once-asleep Luna, pricked her ears and growled at the door. It didn't take long for her to sprint towards it and begin to release a series of barks.

"Owen came by earlier and told us to get anything we need," Noralie stood up from her seat and outstretched her hands on the air, "I'm going to the kitchen to get some snacks. Do you want me to get you something?"

"Anything edible but I'd be happy to have a Fizzy Cola if there's any." Ilse smiled.

"Okie." Noralie nodded and sauntered towards the door, passing by the distressed Luna. "Excuse me."

She reached for the knob and tried to twist it, only to find that it was locked, she eventually tried to force the door open, but to no avail.

Ilse noticed this and raised a quizzical brow, "Something wrong?"

"It's— I can't..." Noralie's words came to a halt upon hearing wet sloshes at the other side of the door. A thick yellowish liquid soon started to stream in through the hinge gaps, making her heart skip a bit by the sudden realization. "Uhm, Ilse.."

"Noralie, what's happening?"

"We have a problem..."


The courtyard is now illuminated by the lamp posts around it, and the rustling of leaves and the occasional chirping of crickets further contribute to the serenity of the place. Everything remains quiet and undisturbed as Carl walked along the paved path before him. He stopped on his tracks upon reaching the fountain that shimmered under the flood of lights. He took a penny from his pocket and tossed it into the glistening waters, pausing for a while in a quiet contemplation.

Looking around, a nearby structure had caught his attention. He slowly walked towards it in curiosity and upon nearing it, a mausoleum came clear to his view. The structure looked like a mini-palace with chiseled ionic-styled columns and a smooth, ornate domes ornamented by intricate carvings. Upon closer inspection, Carl discovered that its door is boarded shut by the wooden planks nailed around it.

Just as he's about to take a peek through the slightly-opened door, Carl's ears perked up upon hearing a nearby growl. He froze for a moment before whipping his head behind him in a quick motion.

There, it stood. The creature, staring at him eye to eye with its yellow glowing sockets. Its body is an unsettling crude imitation of life, as its bones and sinews are contorted and forced into a lizard-like form. Its elongated limbs and gnarled hands resemble the talons of a reptile, each finger tipped with razor-sharp claws and patchwork of mottled skin and sickly flesh, covered with a dark foul liquid dripping from its body.

Its human features stretched and warped into the semblance of a reptilian face. Its mouth is a twisted maw, revealing the rows of jagged teeth drenched with slimy liquid. Carl stood there, face to face with the phantom. The two danced into a circular motion like two cowboys waiting for each other to take the first move.

In a flash, the phantom darted. Carl immediately unholstered his pistol and pointed it towards the creature and pulled the trigger, only to miss as the phantom's claws snatch the gun out from his hands. It whipped its tail, knocking the air out of Carl's chest, sending him flying to the fountain's basin.


Noralie pressed her ears against the surface of the door, only for her to hear a faint squelching and a series of fading footfall on the other side. The sudden gunshot startled her senses, prompting her to instinctively back off from the door.

"It's Carl!" Ilse huffed, releasing a few kicks towards the door before dropping down on the floor while clutching her knee. "Arrghhh."

Having no other options, Noralie immediately pulled out her pistol, pointing it towards the door, alert and ready to fire. But before she can pull the trigger…

"What is this?" Owen's muffled voice carried a hint of disgust.

"Owen! Is that you?! Unlock the door, now!" Ilse yelled.

"I can't Frau Braun, there's a strange carcass blocking the knob!'

"Dang it." Ilse sighed.

"Uhmm, please look to your right. You will find a fire extinguisher that's collecting a bunch of dust." Owen continued, "You can wield it to strike the door but if the initial attempt is unsuccessful, you may consider employing alternative methods."

"Sorry, what?! Sir, you're wracking my brain!" Ilse kicked the door once more out of frustration.

Noralie darted to the side of the door and dragged the red, stored-pressure fire extinguisher, still covered in a tight wrapping of plastic. She lifted it with her two hands and excused Ilse out of the way. Using her full force, she proceeded to bash the wooden door repeatedly until it burst open, uncovering the grand foyer into view where Owen was standing, holding a Blaser R93 hunting rifle on his hands.

There's a strange yellowish mucus-like substance that surrounds the edges of the doorway outside, as if attempting to glue the door together shut. Noralie and Ilse hopped past the sticky material and headed straight towards Owen. Luna dashed behind them, barking loudly as she restlessly run around.

"Owen, what's happening?" asked Noralie.

"It was Herr Schmidt, he was attacked. We need to hurry!"

The three, along with Luna immediately advanced towards the stair hall ahead. Passing by the music hall, they veered left and headed for the door leading to the courtyard. The volume of Carl's scream intensified with each step, growing louder as the distance closed. They ran into the center of the courtyard, where the phantom can be seen clear into view, clawing the waters of the fountain as it tries to get Carl.

"No! Go away! Aaughhhgaaa!!"

"Damen, prepare your weaponries." Owen pointed his rifle to the phantom and fired it once with a loud *BANG* that echoed around the yard.

Ilse and Noralie raised their SPX1 pistols and unleashed a barrage of gunfires to the creature, enveloping the area with a series deafening rhythm that dulled even Luna's own barking. Upon recieving multiple hits the phantom let out a guttural growl before dashing and disappearing into the blankets of the dark.

"Noralie, wait!" Ilse called out.

Noralie dashed straight towards Carl, her ears are left in a ringing straight. While running, a loud shriek caught her attention that prompted her to look at her side. Her eyes widened upon seeing the phantom, crawling on all fours before leaping into parabolic trajectory straight to her. She tried to halt herself from her tracks but her momentum made it harder to stop.

Is this…the end?

She stared at the yellow, glowing eyes of the phantom as it dart towards her, ready to accept her fate. But Owen hastily swooped in, flinging his hunting rifle like a baseball bat towards the phantom.

The creature was hit flat on the face and the impact made it stumble across the ground, staggering. It was quick to regain its bearings as before Owen could deliver another strike, it darting towards the nearby bushes, disappearing from sight once more.

"Are you alright, Frau Schumacher?" Owen offered Noralie a hand.

"J-Ja," Noralie graciously reached out for Owen's hand which carefully assisted her to stand up.

Ilse tried ran towards Carl, who was struggling to get out of the now-reddish water. He's alive, atleast.

"Wah!! Haaa!!"

Ilse helped him out and settled him on the ground. "Carl, Carl! It's fine, it's gone."

Carl gradually gained his composure and began to breath properly while clutching his arm, dripping with continues stream of blood. Luna trots beside him, tail wiggling as she lick his soaked cheeks.

Owen unfastened his pant's belt and tied it firmly around Carl's sleeve. "You took an appalling injury, Herr Schimdt. It's better we treat it immediately."

"We should head back inside, it's not safe here," Ilse watched the area left and right with her gun at hand.

"I agree, Frau Braun. Miss Schumacher, may I ask for your assistance?" Owen wrapped his arm around Carl's shoulder and lifted him.

Noralie took the other side and the two assisted Carl to walk, with Ilse and Luna escorting the way as they all headed inside the mansion. The phantom lurked behind the metal fences, staring and watching them as they carry their unfortunate friend. It growled, its teeth gritting together, before disappearing into the embrace of the night's obscuring veil.

1