Chapter 5 – A Thrall’s Destruction
54 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thralls. That is the name Vampires give to those humans who wish to become a Vampire, no matter the cost. To promise yourself to a Vampire is to throw away your very Humanity as a whole– It is the greatest sin a Human could ever commit.

But despite its depravity, it is not as uncommon as one might expect. While Sanctuary’s light walls may protect Humans from the body of Vampires, it cannot defend against the mind. Even from far distances, they may be able to prod into a human’s mind. To control them. To make them a Thrall.

Thus is the great importance of education in Human civilization. Teaching young humans the vast dangers of Vampires, even if one must stretch the truth here and there to get a point across. As useful a tool that may be, it is not without its own dangers. For, a lie is not so easily forgave, especially if one is not told the reason behind it. 

A perfect example of this is a not-so peculiar human by the name of Vi. A person who would not draw the eye of any. A passerby, that’s who she was. Your eye lands upon her and not a single feature pops out. Her dark, brown hair fell straight down like an arrow, as if gravity and only gravity gave it shape. Cut into her hair were bangs which fell just far enough to cover her thick eyebrows, covering her forehead which she always found just a tad too large. 

Her skin was a light cinnamon, of which was not exactly flawless, but neither was it filled with any particularly noticeable blemishes. She was not especially thin, nor was she built large. She was almost exactly the average height for her demographic, and, having just turned 25, she was not poised to grow.

She was average.

However, Vi had no problem with being ‘average’. She hated more than anything people noticing her. In a safer world, she would be living in a secluded cabin in the woods, not a cramped city. By all means, running from this so-called Sanctuary was something she thought of on the daily. The only problem with that is that she’d be alone. 

She didn’t care about almost anybody. The emphasis is on almost. She never really grew to know her parents that well, she didn’t have many friends, with most of them having not talked to her in months, her coworkers annoyed her– But there was somebody. Somebody new.

Somebody she loved.

But Vi was weak. She knew that more than anybody, and, in this world she needed to be strong to protect those she loved. That was the truth she engraved into her psyche, something she followed without even thinking.

But perhaps, the problem was not that she was weak.

The problem was that she was human. 

Being human, the unavoidable fact of life was that they were prey to something else. There was, however, a convenient way to circumvent this problem. After all, there were two ways a Vampire reproduced. First, in the same boring way that humans did. But second, they could turn humans into Vampires. 

Truly, it was convenient. But, of course, there was a problem. Vampires were not like humans. She knew that they were beasts, unable of true thought and forever doomed to follow only their instincts. To feed, and to turn. 

If she were to become a Vampire, she would not be who she is. She’d be a monster, not a person.

That was just a fact. Something she was taught even when she was but a child.

It was a fact.

Until she was told the truth.

Vi worked in a place nearly everyone in Central City would find admirable: The generators. In this complex structure, in the very middle of the city, all the power sent across the city was generated. Nuclear energy supplied much of the overall power, but, solar panel technology helped to supplement energy to lower priority zones. As well, important structures had many a solar panel to generate power, just in case of a possible disaster.

Although, the wall of light which guarded the central city from Vampires ran fully on the nuclear energy from their generators. It took an ungodly amount of electricity to run, after all. The only  helping factor being that it was run less intensely during the day. After all, when the sun was out, Vampires could not roam freely. The wall was almost entirely unneeded then. 

It was a particularly exhausting day, the day she met her. Vi’s coworkers were being noticeably more irritating, somehow even more than usual. She needed a break– though not from her work itself. That was fine. Yes, it was repetitive and the rooms were always kept a tad too cold for her liking, but it wasn’t unbearable. No, she needed a break from the people. She wouldn’t say she hated them. She wouldn’t say she felt much of anything for them. They were just annoying, and beneath her. A truly impressive thing, with Vi being such a painfully average woman.

So, it was for that reason she took her first ten minute break of the day (out of the two she had) to calm herself in the washrooms. They were dirty, after all, the janitors prioritized cleaning the actually important parts of the building. There simply weren’t enough hands to get everything sparkling.

She dealt with worse, however, and as dingy as it was that just meant people felt less inclined to enter. Therefore, she could be alone. That is why she came here, after all.

She supported herself against the sinks as she stared at her own face through the mirrors. She looked the same as she always did… though, perhaps her eyebags were a tad more dark than usual. She hadn’t been able to get much sleep during those few past days. She didn’t get much sleep in general, actually.

It was while she was so engrossed with her own image that she heard the faintest noise behind her. Nearly silent, but then a slightly louder foot step. It was strange, she didn’t notice anyone while entering, nor did she think anyone was in the stalls.

Which is exactly why she turned around. Perhaps curiosity got the best of her, or maybe she was just destined to get the first word in.

“What the–” Her voice stopped as a gasp escaped her throat, her eyes widening as she stared at the figure in front of her. Hair of a perfect snow white and eyes of silver, as if this person had jumped straight out of a painting. What’s more, her skin was fair– No, not just fair. She was incredibly pale, like all the colour was drained out of her skin leaving only a faint whisper of what was once there.

And in that moment of surprise, then fear, did she realize what she was staring at.

A Vampire. A monster.

The moment that clicked in her head, she could only react in one way. “VAM– Mmph–”

The Vampire’s cold palm covered her mouth, her sharp nails clawing lightly upon Vi’s skin.

A soft, surprisingly gentle, yet playful voice spoke to, “Ah, ah, ah~, you shouldn’t yell out for help. You’ll just make things worse for yourself, dear… ehe…”

The Vampire’s voice was high, though in her whispers she seemed faint. Her hair was long and flowing, partly twisted into braids, and though she was a tad bit shorter than Vi, she felt completely and utterly powerless. Even through the light pressure she applied to her face with her dainty hands, there was nothing she could do to break free. So, she eventually began to calm herself, staying still and quiet. 

“Good girl! I’m glad you’re smart… I wouldn’t want to hurt an adorable thing like you. It goes against my nature, you see?” The Vampire was smiling, but its tone betrayed her loving voice. She could see it in her eyes. At any moment, she very well might dig her fangs into her throat, ending her before she could say a word.

“Now, I’m going to let you talk now, kay? So pleaseee don’t yell again…I would have to kill you, then everyone else in this facility. And that would make things so, so annoying… You won’t scream, right?”

Annoying. Vi knew the feeling well. However, not for a moment did she forget her teachings. That what she was talking to was just faking it all, that she was unfeeling, unthinking. At the end of the day, all she wanted was to kill her and everyone else… 

She knew that, so why… why did she want to listen to her? There was something about this woman– No. This Vampire.

But to save herself, even for but a moment, Vi nodded slowly. This seemed to make the Vampire happy, as she grinned and let go of her. She let out a series of pants as she did, finally being able to breathe without restraint. She supported herself on the counter behind her, though not breaking line of sight with the Vampire in front of her for even a moment.

“Seeeee~? that wasn’t so hard, right?”

Vi clenched her teeth as she recovered, eventually opening her mouth to speak

“How… how did you get here… The… the light should have kept you out…”

“Mmm? Let’s just say I have friends in high places! Oh, I have friends in low places too!” The Vampire took a step forward, leaning towards Vi with a grin, “Say, you could be another one of those friends. If you want…”

Vi looked away, a strange feeling overcoming her. Fear, or perhaps something else that made her heart race. “If… if you’re going to bite me, just do it and get it over with. That’s all you want… I know. They teach us about you– you monsters…”

The Vampire covered her mouth with her palm, almost as if in surprise, "How rude! I only want to talk with you! Hm… But I suppose that’ll be hard with all the dirty little ideas in your head…” 

The Vampire leaned further in. Vi leaned back.

“They lied to you, dear. We are just as capable of thought as you are! Why, we can feel happy, sad, mad… and my favorite little feeling. Love.”

She was lying. Vi knew that. Every word that escaped this monster’s mouth was one lie after another, a trick to get her to drop her guard…

But… she was defenseless as it stood. There would be nothing she could do to protect against an attack… so why did she still stand there, not a drop of blood leaving her body? Why was she still alive? Was this Vampire just toying with her food? No, if that were the case, it would only prove this Vampire’s words… that they could feel…

“… Say I believe you… Why haven’t you killed me? Just because you can feel it doesn't mean you aren’t a killer. There’s a lot of humans who are murderers…”

“What a good question! Maybe I need you for something. Maybe I just don’t feel like it. Or,” She placed a hand on Vi’s cheek, her thumb gently caressing her, “Maybe I just like you. Or, we could go with the surprise answer with all three being true!”

In a more normal scenario, Vi would have slapped her hand away, pushed her off, insulted her. But, she didn’t, for a multitude of different reasons, one of which she would never admit to herself. 

“… I presume D is the correct answer, then.” Vi responded, trying her best to sound confident despite her raging heart, “… What exactly… do you want from me?”

“You truly are a smart girl~!” The Vampire replied with a grin, her wording making Vi’s heart skip a beat for some strange reason, “It’s a simple thing, though. In two weeks from now, when I give the signal, I need you to do a very, very easy task…”

“That being…?”

“Deactivate the power systems. And any emergency protocols you might have… Oh, and you’d probably have to kill most of the people here, hehe!” She spoke as if she was ordering a simple cup of coffee. As if it was nothing at all.

Vi swallowed the tingling anxiety that welled up inside of her, “and… and why exactly would I do that?”

“Mm? I could still kill you, you know!”

A cold sweat fell down her back.

“I kid! I’d never! But, I assure, the reward will be great… what’s more… I see it in you. In your eyes.”

The Vampire smirked.

“You hate all these disgusting creatures, don’t you? They’re beneath you, irritating insects that you want to live without. I can help you escape from them… and my, you’d be even more beautiful once sired…”

Vi’s mouth fell ever so slightly, but because of the least shocking part of the Vampire’s statement.

“You… think I’m beautiful?” For a woman who, all her life, had decided she was very average, it was a truly surprising thing to hear. Not one person had ever said such a thing to her, especially not with the affectionate tone the Vampire spoke in.

“Very much so. Your face is lovely, and I find your hair absolutely adorable! My, what I would give to wake up to your face every day…” 

The Vampire’s free arm wrapped around Vi’s back, causing her to flinch, but not resist. Not yet, not now.

“What are you…” Vi muttered.

Her grip tightened, though not painfully so as her face came closer to her’s.

“Giving you a… taste of one of your rewards… If you choose to help me.”
Vi was frozen. Her brain felt like it was short-circuiting. She knew what was coming, and yet, her body could not move.

Their lips met, and the taste of blood entered her mouth. Perhaps this Vampire had just fed, or maybe that flavor was simply her natural taste now, like a stubborn stain that would never leave.

She could feel as the Vampire pushed up against her, Vi having to support herself with the sinks behind her as she held onto the cold porcelain. The Vampire’s free hand held onto the back of Vi’s head, not pushing her closer, but only making sure she didn’t pull back. 

The kiss was quick, the Vampire soon pulling back. Her hand moved to Vi's neck, holding it firmly as her nails just barely dug into her skin.

"I do so love how you humans blush. It's like a red flower blooming on a vast field, isn't it?" She spoke to her, almost whispering.

Vi, however, was at a loss. Her heart threatened to beat out of her chest, her face was painted a deep red, and the taste of blood and something else entirely lingered in her mouth.

The Vampire smiled. "Either way, I'll take your adorable expression as a yes!"

"N-no. It wasn't, you bastard..." Her breath quickened as she spoke back for the first time,  "Just... just why did you do such a thing...?"

"Oh~, you humans have such silly ideas of tact or restraint..." Her smile widened as she leaned forward once more, whispering into Vi's ear, "It's simple. I take what I want. When I want. How I want."

She kissed her ear, causing her to flinch. "But, I'll leave you alone for now. After all! You've got a lot to think about. Remember, in two weeks, okay?"

"Wait, I never--"

"Oh, but you didn't refuse either! Toodaloo!" After placing some strange phone in her hand, she rushed to the door.

Before she could get another word in, the Vampire was gone, the door to the bathrooms closing quietly behind her.

"You..." Vi spoke as she caught her breath, "... Damn Vampire..."

But, no matter how much she cursed her, no matter how angry she was, a part of her, no matter how small, was excited. For the first time, somehow, she wasn't irritated by a person. In fact, she wasn't even annoyed.

But, that didn't mean anything. She had to be careful. If she slipped up, she'd die. And she knew the truth. Vampires were unthinking, uncaring, unfeeling.

... But she'd already started thinking of her as a person. And thus, she was too far gone.

Though, it wasn't like her life would change too radically if she went along with her plan.

The worst case scenario, she'd just die.

The best case? She didn't want to linger on the thought. It made her feel strange.

 

--

 

Two weeks went by like a bonfire burning up a sheet of paper, and the day of reckoning had come. The generators were running perfectly, and all systems were online. It was the same boring, irritating day. Or, night, really. The shift had ended hours ago, but Vi was still there. She'd told them that she'd be staying overtime, that she was planning on fixing some old issues they had, but the truth was, she was waiting. Was she truly going to do this? Follow the order of a Vampire just because she--

She shook her head. Why did she keep replaying that moment in her head? With a sigh, she told herself to focus. If this was going to work, she'd have to get her act together.

But, it was while she was lost in thought, the clock ticking ever closer to the hour of her fate, did she hear a soft sound. A beep, almost. Like a phone vibrating. It was faint, but there was no mistaking it. She took the small device that was given to her two weeks ago and turned it on, looking at the message sent to her.

'It's time!!!! Be sure not to disappoint me!  <3 <3'

A wave of heat came over her, and for a moment, her hand hovered over the 'Off' button. She could stop right there, and continue with her life. Maybe, after a few days, she could convince herself it was a dream.

But, instead, she placed the device back in her pocket, taking a deep breath.

"Damn vampire..." She cursed once more under her breath as she began typing on the console.

 

--

 

"GENERAL!"

The door to General Varano's office was pushed open with unsettling force, the General nearly dropping her cigarette in surprise.

"What is it?" She spoke firmly as her eyes narrowed, "You know you are to knock first, private. This better be impor--"

"Ma'am, scouts reported thousands of Vampires! They're approaching south-side-- And quick! They're expected to reach the city in twenty minutes, and that's if we're lucky!"

Varano's face froze for a moment, her cigarette hanging loosely between her teeth. "Impossible... A force like that hasn't been gathered in almost twenty years... What's their exact number, private?"

"B-by last count... two thousand and four hundred. They might all just be turned, but a few True Bloods were noticed in the front... a-and it's believed some of them are of the older generation..."

"Damn it... Tch. They must be trying to overwhelm us with pure numbers. Most will fall from the wall, but those who get through..." Her eyes widened as she realized their true plan here, "Private, send for a report of how many soldiers are stationed at the major generators, and how many are at the gates. Immediately!"

"Y-yes ma'am! Right away, ma'am!" He quickly saluted and ran back out of her room, shutting the door behind him.

"Damn it... I knew they'd pull something, but this?..." Her cigarette dropped from her mouth, and she crushed it with her foot.

"If they're going for the generators, that means..." She clenched her fist, reaching for her communicator, "... Thralls. Twenty years we've gone without any of our number being tempted... If they managed to lure even one human in, one who's in a high position of power... damn it. Damn!"

She slammed her fist upon the table.

"... It's not over. We've fended off worse attacks than this." She spoke to nobody, or perhaps just herself. 

With a click of a button, she signaled a code crimson.

"This is General Varano. An attack is imminent. All personnel are to report to their positions. Civilians are to take shelter immediately. I repeat, an attack is imminent."

Her voice was heard across the entire city.

"This is not a drill. Do not hesitate, do not question, and above all, do not surrender."

"We will not let this be a repeat of twenty years ago."

"All forces, report. I want updates every five minutes."

"Do not let a single one through."

 

 

Alarms blared in the streets. It was chaos, as everybody who had the chance to escape rushed towards the shelters. Those who were unlucky enough to be near the outer walls were forced to arm themselves, or to fight with whatever they could.

But, for those who could not fight, there were places set up. Shelters, underground. One which should've been able to fit nearly a thousand people.

Yet, only a few dozen were allowed entrance.

"Please, please let me in!"

"You've got a weapon, don't you? Help fight off the Vampires. We need all the help we can get!"

"My husband's in there! I have a child!"

"Then he'll watch after them. Now, go!"

"I'm not dying to those things-- Come on man! Let me in!"

"We'll all die if you keep us out! Please! You've got to let me in! You've got to--"

A gunshot rang through the air, and a man fell to the ground.

"No more delays. Anybody else try and enter, and you'll meet the same fate."

The people stared at the guards, their faces filled with shock, horror, and even despair. But, there was nothing they could do.

One by one, they were forced to go up the stairs. To fight. To, chances are, die. 

 

Not so far off from this scene were two soldiers. One of black hair, one of a light blonde.

"Elsie-- did you grab the silver grenades from the base? I could swear I told you to get them, but they're not with my supplies!" Rosa yelled out as the two ran,

"Yeah! I got them! Don't worry-- Fuck this is heavy..." She threw the bag behind her back to the other, who caught it and slung it over her shoulder.

"Our station-- It's up ahead! You're sure we've got a spot on the wall, right?"

"Yeah! Of course, I double-checked, don't worry."

"Good."

They stopped before a gate, where a man stood with a clipboard.

"Soldiers' ID."

The two showed their cards, and were let through.

"Good luck. Let your Silver bullets hit true.”

"Yeah. Thanks."

Rosa's expression was one of focus. As soon as the two made their way through, they climbed a ladder leading up to one of many outer walls. She swore there were hundreds of other soldiers up there, the Wall of Light still fully functional as each machine blared light into the sky.

"Hey! Are we set up over here?" Rosa shouted out, and a familiar face answered her.

"Am I glad to see you two!" Lucien spoke back, an anxious smile on his face.

"Luce, you're stationed here too?" Elsie replied as the two made their way over to him.

"I'm not sure why you're so surprised! We're in the same platoon, after all. But, more importantly, you brought the goods?"

"That I did!" Elsie gave him a thumbs up, and he seemed relieved.

"Thank goodness... I was afraid we'd be left empty-handed."

Rosa tried her best to smile back, "Is Lieutenant Ramirez around here? He'd usually be the one organizing all of this..."

"Yeah, yeah. He was actually just getting everything together... Ah, there he is."

"... You two are late. The Vamps are said to arrive in ETA seven minutes. Where the hell were you?" The Lieutenant spoke with his arms crossed, clearly not impressed with the two.

"You know we were off duty! And it's not our fault the trains aren't working... Besides, we're here now, aren't we?" Elsie tilted her head.

"Whatever. I've got my own problems to deal with." He pointed towards the other end of the wall, "Get the grenades and get ready."

"Roger, roger."

He glared at her, though his expression softened just slightly as his eyes fell on Rosa, "Just stay alive, alright? That's all I ask."

"Of course, I'll be fine. You don't have to worry."

"I always worry. That's part of my job" He replied, letting out a sigh as he turned and walked away.

"Man... I'm never gonna be able to get along with him, huh?"

"He just cares a lot about everyone. I think he's just... bad at getting that out-- Bad time. Let's go, Elsie."

As they tightened their grips on their rifles, they got into position, their backs facing the rest of the group.

"It's going to start soon. Just focus on the mission, and don't hesitate, no matter what... Monsters, not people. Monsters, not people..." Rosa repeated back to herself over and over again, her heart beating fast.

"Don't forget to breathe, okay? You can't exactly focus on me if you need to, but... just remember that I'm here."

"Y-yeah... thanks... sorry."

"No need to apologize. Just relax."

"I'll try."

As she closed her eyes, Elsie wrapped an arm around her and gave her a tight squeeze.

"You've got this.”

She could only nod.

Eventually, after a few moments of silence, a broke broke through the air.

"VAMPIRES SIGHTED, INCOMING. ETA ONE MINUTE. PREPARE FOR BATTLE."

Everybody got into position, and as the seconds ticked by, a tense aura grew in the air.

Then, the wall shook.

"THIRTY SECONDS."

Elsie looked to her side, and smiled at Rosa.

"TWENTY SECONDS!”

Another shake.

"FIFTEEN!”

A third.

"Te--"

The wall suddenly shook many times more intensely than before, causing many to lose their balance as they fell to the ground. Like an explosion-- or, a power outage.

In one horrific moment, the entire Wall of Light turned off.

"Shit! The power's out! Quick! Switch to silver bullets! Normal bullets won't hurt them in the dark! Fire at will, and keep the vamps from getting past the walls! Hold your positions!" The lieutenant ordered, and the sound of reloading echoed out.

"Fuck fuck fuck, fuck. Why is the power out now? Did they plan this?! How the fuck could they possibly plan this?!" Elsie panicked, her eyes wide as she looked at the black void in front of her.

"I-I don't know, but we've got to hold the line! C'mon, Elsie, focus! They're going to reach us any second now!"

"Y-yeah! I know, I know... shit." She took a deep breath and reloaded her rifle, taking aim.

As the moonlight faintly illuminated the soon to be battle field, thousands of tiny figures appeared in the sky.

They were coming.

"Fire at will!"

With a bang, the first shot was fired.

And then, it became a cacophony.

Each shot that rang through the night sky caused another Vampire to drop.

But, despite their efforts, they kept coming, each flap of their huge wings bringing them closer and closer.

"Don't let them land! Keep them in the air!"

"Fuck fuck, oh god. They're gonna eat us."

"Keep firing, don't give them an opening! Keep aiming for their heads! They're coming for the wall!"

"God, I hate Vampires!"

"Don't aim for the ones in the back!”

"Shit, shit, shit, shit!"

"Keep firing!"

"There's too many!"

"Stay calm, and keep firing!"

"Fuck!"

"Don't stop shooting!"

"Die already!"

"God, help us!"

As shots upon shots rained down, the Vampires were dropping like flies, but their sheer numbers meant there were more coming. And they were quickly closing the gap. More than quick, it was near instantly that they were finally upon the wall.

And the moment that happened, they dropped.

Screams rang out through the air as sharpened claws dug into human flesh.

The night sky was painted red with blood as more and more Vampires poured over the walls.

"F-fuck, help! Somebody help me! Help me!"

"I don't want to die, I don't want to die, oh God, please help me!"

Those who were killed instantly were the lucky ones. Those who were bit were quickly brought back with a blood thirst rivaling no other.

It was a nightmare. 

"Don't give them an opening! Take them out if you see a single one of them near you!"

"Help! H-help, they've got me, they've got me, please help, I can't die yet!"

"Please! I don't want to be like them, I don't, I don't, I don't, I can't be a monster, please!"

"Fuck! Get off me! Gh-- AGH--"

Rosa froze. This entire period, she hadn't hit a single Vampire. She had fired, yes, but not one of her shots connected. Her mind was a mess.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. She wasn't supposed to freeze up, she wasn't supposed to be terrified. This was the job she had dedicated her life to, the one that had taken the majority of her childhood, the one that she had decided her fate upon.

But, this was no training.

This was real.

The smell of blood filled her nostrils, and the sounds of screams pierced her ears.

She had never imagined a war could be so terrifying. She had been on many missions, but this was different. This was just bloodshed. Pure, unadulterated slaughter.

She was about to be the next victim.

She didn't want to die.

She couldn't die.

But, her body wouldn't move.

"Rosa!"

Elsie grabbed her by the collar and pulled her to cover, taking shots at any vampire that got close.
"Rosa, you need to snap out of it! Listen, just fire when you have a clear shot, okay?! If they get near you, stab them! Please, just--"

As she looked into her partner's eyes, a horrible realization dawned on her.

"... Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no..."

She knew that look.

"I-it's going to be okay! We'll be okay, we'll survive, I promise, but you need to work with me here! Can you do that?!"

"I... I... can..."

"Okay, okay. Thank god. Now, just stay close to me. Do what I say, and don't let go, alright? I'm not letting you go. Not now, not ever."

Rosa could only nod.

"Alright, now c'mon, take my hand, we're moving."

Elsie grabbed Rosa's hand, pulling her along.

"Stay low, and follow me. There's an emergency exit right here, we're getting out."

Rosa's mouth opened, but she could not find the words to speak.

"I know, I know. If Ramirez is still alive, he's gonna fucking kill us... but better than dying here. C'mon, let's go."

She pushed open the door, and the two ran through the darkness.

"The generator should be nearby. We've gotta find a way to turn them back on... It's the only way we'll have a chance of winning.” She squinted, “Damn it, it's dark. I can't see a thing..."

Rosa tried her best to keep up, but her breathing was ragged.

"Hey, hey. Don't give up on me. I'm here, aren't I? You've just got to keep going, just a little longer. I'll carry you if I have to."

"E-elsie... I'm sorry... I-I'm such a failure..."

"You're alright... you're alright." Elsie tightened her grip around Rosa's hand as they continued to run.

"We'll find the generator. Then, we'll figure something out… It's alright."

The two eventually found themselves in the streets. All around them, screams of agony could be heard. When the Vampires breached the wall, they had made it inside the city. They had made it inside Central City. The only place on earth that was supposed to truly be safe. 

"There, it's up ahead!"

Rosa could barely see the faint outline of a door deep below a staircase, and a light bulb hanging over it.

"C'mon, we've gotta move! We can't waste a single moment!"

Rosa tried her best, but she was slowing down. Her breathing was heavy, her vision was blurring, and her eyes were starting to grow heavy.

"It's... It's okay, Elsie... just go. I'm holding you back..."

"Shut the hell up! I'm not leaving you behind!"

Elsie wrapped an arm around Rosa's waist, pulling her along.

"Don't... don't be a fucking idiot." She spoke sternly, opening the door to the generators with a kick, "We're getting out of this alive, no matter what."

"... Right..."

The two quickly found themselves inside the large room, connecting to many of the different parts of the area. The most eye-catching feature of all, however, were the numerous blood stained corpses. However, they didn't look to be attacked by any vampire. No, they died by a human weapon. A gun.

"What... what happened here?" Elsie muttered under her breath as she looked at the massacre, "Why... why would somebody do this...?"

"W-we have to hurry... there's no time..."

"R-right."

"Let's see, the control panel should be over here... it's pretty easy to turn back on. But, we'd need an access card for it. Let's see..."

Elsie rummaged through the bodies, looking for a specific type of badge.

"Got it. One ID card. Perfect."

"Good... Now, we just have to--"

"STOP!"

A blood curdling scream echoed throughout the room, coming from a bloodied figure holding a pistol.

"I... I'll shoot. If you take a single step forward, I'll shoot!"

"What the..." Elsie took a step back, her hands up, "What are you doing?! If we don't turn this back on, everyone will die!"

"They're... they're already dead! This place... this place is a lie, and I won't be fooled by it anymore!"

"What are you talking about?"

"All these years, I've believed it. But... I'm done. I'm not going to play pretend anymore. This whole time... they've been lying to us. About everything. But... no more. It's time I get what I fucking deserve! I can finally live the life I want! I won't hesitate to kill you two! Put down the card, and get away from the console!"

Elsie didn't move. "Look, you're not thinking clearly, okay? Just put down th--"

Bang.

A bullet struck Elsie directly through her torso. She couldn't tell where exactly it hit, especially considering the immense pain and surprise that came with it.

"ELSIE!"

"A-- GAH! Y-YOU FUCKING-- GH--" She screeched, grasping the bullet wound with her free hand.

"I told you I'd kill you! This is your last chance! So don't fuck with me! I'm done with this place, I'm done with being used, I'm done with all of it!"

Rosa didn't care to listen, simply rushing to Elsie's side as she held her. "Elsie. Elsie! You-- You okay?"

"Fuck... I... I think it missed any vitals…”

"Good... Good. That's good." Rosa looked back up, her eyes narrowed at the other, "Listen, I don't know what your deal is-- but we'll all die if we don't turn this back on!"

 

"Oh... not all of you, ehe..." A new voice spoke up, one that made the woman who shot Elsie to turn around

"It's... you..." She spoke up, her aim faltering, "I... did what you asked."

"I know, and I'm very pleased~! It's such a shame, though. You didn't get to witness the true beauty of it all. The fear, the despair... the delicious taste of blood."

Rosa's heart sunk. She didn't need to look up to know who was speaking. 

A vampire.

"One’s here?! Shit..." Elsie murmured through bated breath, clutching her wound tighter.

"Now, now. Don't be so tense. It's over. You've lost. You've all lost." The Vampire spoke up, stepping forward.

"Stay back!" Rosa aimed her gun forward, but her hands were shaking.

"Heh... Heheh. I'd love to play, but unfortunately, I have a lot on my plate. I'll simply kill you two quickly..."

"No, you won't. I'm afraid one of them is my own quarry."

Another voice, one completely unknown to all in the room except for one. The vampire.

"Tch, brother? You're supposed to be at the manor!"

"Yes, but I felt like having a little snack~," the new Vampire smirked,  taking a step forward with his hands behind his back, "That, and a new spawn. After all, I lost two just a bit ago..."

"You're still obsessed with your little experiment? You're an idiot, Cyrell... Now, get out of my way. You may have the older blood’s favor, but I won't hesitate to kill you too!"

"And I won't hesitate to kill you, either, Aella."

The three humans in the room looked back and fourth between the two, immensely confused.

"W-wait, what the hell is going on here?!" Elsie shouted out, her pain starting to numb slightly.

"This is none of your concern! You're not getting out of this alive, so I'd advise you to enjoy your last few moments!" The Vampire named Aella frowned, pointing at the injured woman.

"That is where you are wrong, dear sister... That human is mine. And, as for you, well... I'm afraid you've overstepped your bounds."

"So you took an interest in one as well... You're delusional. This city is ours! These humans are ours! You-- you can't simply take them!"

"I thought it was you who said it was a Vampire's nature to take what they want?" The Vampire named Cyrell smiled at his sister, "But, I suppose we can make a truce with each other. For now, anyway."

"What... what are you saying?!"

"You take your human, and I take mine, and then we both leave the city."

"Damn you... Unlike you, brother, my plans far exceed just siring one lowly human!"

"Yes, yes, I’m sure… Livestock lover…” Cyrell cleared his throat, “But, it would be a waste to fight you now, when there's more important things to attend to. So, let's make a deal. You can have your fun, and I can have mine."

"... You arrogant little SHIT--!"

"Stop it! D-damn Vampires... one more word and you both die!" Rosa yelled out, holding two of the silver grenades she luckily kept in her pocket.

"Oh, you're going to throw those little toys at me? Go ahead! I'd love to see them bounce off me like rubber balls."

"T-they're silver! You'd die before you could even realize what happened!"

"Hmph. As if anything could kill me. You humans are so pathetic, it's hilarious. So weak, so frail, so easy to break."

"Shut up..." Elsie spoke up, slowly rising to her feet.

"Oh? And what about you, hmm? Are you going to be the hero and save the day?"

"I said shut up... Don't talk to me like that, you bastard."

"What's wrong? Does the fact that you're dying upset you? How unfortunate. You know, I could help with that..." Cyrell smirked, taking a step closer.

Elsie raised her gun, taking a few steps back while still holding onto Rosa, "Shut... shut up."

"You've got a lot of nerve, I'll give you that. But, it's pointless. You can't possibly hurt me! That is, with your current capabilities..."

"Shut. UP."

She fired a shot, which bounced off the vampire's skin and ricocheted into the ground.

"Heheh, so persistent. Just like your friend over there. It's adorable, really."

"Shut. Up. Shut up shut up shut up! Stop talking about us like that! You're... you're nothing but rotten Vamps! You're all the same! You don't get to decide our fates!"

"And yet, here we are. Deciding your fate."

"E-elsie... You shouldn't stand..." Rosa whimpered, her eyes filled with a deep concern.

"Yeah, yeah... but I can't... just stay down. If I don't do something... I'll regret it."

"You're going to get yourself killed, you know..." Cyrell frowned, crossing his arms.

"Yeah, well, at least I'd die fighting. You're just gonna talk, and talk, and talk, and talk..."

"You know, humans are so interesting. I've seen many of your kind die. Some beg, some plead, others are silent. But, no matter what, their end is the same. They die. And you can never tell how they'll react until the moment of truth. Will you cry, or will you scream? Will you beg for mercy, or will you curse the heavens for your own mistakes? Or, perhaps you--"

Elsie fired another silver round, though again it only bounced off the Vampire's skin.

"-- Will shoot at me in vain? Well, no matter. I suppose I can always sire you after I'm done playing with you. Then, we'll see just how much fight you have left."

"... I'm leaving, brother. Human, follow." Like a master ordering their dog, she spoke to the human she enthralled. The one with dark brown hair and cinnamon skin.

"... I... fine.”

"Wait, wait. What about the generator? And the city? You're seriously just going to leave it all?" Cyrell tilted his head, smiling.

"This place can burn, for all I care. My butler will deal with the repercussions, the Old Blood’s are all talk and no bite…”

"Ah, Pierre? I do not pity the man. I truly don't know how he deals with you... But, very well. Have your fun, sister. I'll have my fun here."
As they left, a voice spoke.

"Stop getting distracted!" Elsie yelled out, firing another bullet at the Vampire. It was for naught.

"Elsie, please-- We need to run--"

"No, no. Let's play some more."

"SHUT UP!"

Another bullet.

"Oh, my. This is going nowhere. I'll just have to end it."

Elsie tried to shoot once more, but the Vampire appeared right in front of her.

"Wha--"

Her face was grasped, and she was forced to look into his eyes.

"Now, listen here. I am a very generous person, so I'll give you two options."

"... What...?"

Rosa began to back up, as much as she didn’t want to.

"First option is that I turn you, and you become my spawn. The second is that I rip out your throat and watch you bleed."

"No... no... Elsie-- I--" Frozen, Rosa stood there. She still grasped the silver grenade, but she couldn't bring herself to pull the pin.

"Hmm? Ah, considering how generous I am, I might even allow you to keep that human as your personal blood bag~. You'd like that, wouldn't you? Being able to live forever? Being stronger, faster, better?"

"Elsie… Y-you... You can't... I can't..."

"Tick, tock, tick, tock. You have about a second before I rip your throat out. What will it be, hmm? Death, or eternal life?"

"Elsie…"

"..."

Elsie only smirked.

"I told you not to get distracted, damn Vamp."

A pin fell to the ground as Elsie dropped a silver grenade.

"What– No! Did that human give you one–”

Cyrell's eyes widened as he realized the situation, and tried to pull away, but it was too late.

"... Thanks, Rosa..."

"... and... Bye."

The world slowed down as the grenade exploded, covering the entire room in a brilliant, blinding light.

"ELSIE!"

"GAHH-- DAMN YOU, HUMAN!"

The explosion had not only covered the area in bright light, but also in a cacophonous sound. So much so that Rosa could only hear ringing, and a muffled cry.

When she opened her eyes, her sight was blurry, but she could still make out two figures. Both fallen, prone upon the ground. Both, bloodied. Shattered. Still.

The smell of silver and blood filled the air.

She could hardly process what happened.

It was...

Over?

But, why?

Why did they win?

She had no answer.

"El-- Elsie..."

She forced her eyes open, stumbling forward as she walked. Her vision was starting to clear.

She had to find her.

"Elsie!"

As she made her way to her partner, she collapsed beside her, pulling her into her arms.

"Oh god-- oh god. No. Please, no. Please... please--"

Her hand was brought to Elsie's neck.

There was no pulse.

"Oh god. Oh god. No... no, no. This can't... this can't be happening. Please, wake up... Wake up..."

Tears began to pour from her eyes as she held Elsie close, desperately clinging to her as she was covered in her blood.

"Don't go... Don't go..."

"... I can't... can't..."

She sobbed and sobbed as she held Elsie’s hand.

"... Elsie..."

It was silent. 

4