Chapter 8 – Lessons Molded in Blood
49 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moon rose over the city, the sky a dark crimson as the smoke from the fires partly clouded the view. A few lights flickered, the occasional sound of gunfire or an explosion, but other than that...

Silence.

In a colourless hospital room, a man sat on his bed. A cigarette in his mouth, he took a drag, the embers burning as the smoke rose into the air.

He was tired, and in pain, but the cigarette helped. It always did.

It had been two days. Two days since the attack.

Two days since the dead had been counted, the injured cared for, and the turned slaughtered.

In the end, four thousand had died, and around two thousand had been turned. Of those, about five hundred were still alive, the rest were put down.

... The military and enforcers had taken heavy losses, but not as severe as they expected. It was the civilians that took the brunt of the damage.

In a week, the funerals would be held. For the civilians, they'd be open. For the soldiers, they would be closed, only friends and family allowed.

Ramirez was not planning on going, though he knew he’d end up being there anyways. It was just his nature to go back on his decisions.

"..."

He was not one for mourning. He didn't think it would do anything, in the end.

His cigarette burnt out, and he tossed the bud into a bin next to the bed.

A knock came from the door, and it opened soon after.

"Lieutenant, you're being released today."

“Already, huh…”

"Your injuries have mostly healed. All that's left are a few small scrapes and bruises, so…”
He quickly switched the topic, staring the nurse in the eyes.

"Your head doctor... He's a former enforcer, no? At times I'm surprised they're even human... Hah."

He saw it first hand. The power they held, being able to go head to head with even True Bloods-- No, higher. They were... beyond mere soldiers. They were almost inhuman...

No, they said it clearly time and time again. They were human.

The nurse smiled, "Yes, that's true. Dr. Halt was a member of the enforcer's, though I heard he focused on healing anyone injured even back then... I do wish to know how they do it... But that's not for me to know, I suppose."

"Healing the wounded, not fighting... I would have guessed he'd be in a different unit...  Hm..."

Ramirez went quiet, staring up at the bland ceiling.

"Apologies, I need to attend to other patients... Get well soon, Lieutenant."

"Ah. Thanks."

He nodded at her, watching her leave.

"..."

"..."

His gaze was focused upwards, but his mind was elsewhere.

"Enforcers... with that power... I could have saved them. Stopped..."

"... Killed them before they killed him..."

"That doctor... His power, his abilities... If I had it... They'd be alive. They'd be standing here today..."

"If I had that power..."

"..."

"I need that power."

--

 

It was like being submerged in water.  Like sinking into an ocean of darkness, drowning. It was cold, oh so cold. An endless, freezing, numbing blackness.

It was like death.

Not a warm, comfortable death. A frightening death, one that comes suddenly. One that comes from a sudden strike, an ambush, or the fangs of a beast. One that comes as if from nowhere, and yet was always waiting. A quiet death, yet a death that screamed. Wailed. Sobbed.

That was the feeling, the sensation, that she felt. It was familiar, too. She had been in that place before. Alone, more alone than ever before.

But not once more, no. Not anymore.

Because now, it was different. She didn't sink. No, no, no, not her.

She rose. She rose, and she emerged from that darkness. Her breath was heavy, as if her lungs were filled to the brim with water invading every crevice. Her cold heart pounded within her, the feeling of familiar, yet unfamiliar blood rushing through her veins, her muscles aching, her body screaming.

But as for her mind, there was nothing.

She was gone.

"... Wh... at...?"

She opened her eyes, staring at a light in the distance.

It was a faint light, yet bright. It called out to her, drawing her in. 

"W-Wait..."

She attempted to walk, but her legs were weak. She fell, hitting the ground with a dull thud.

But she was there, somewhere. In some remnants of a corporeal, alive flesh she could no longer name.

... Alive? Then... why was she so... cold?

Her heart ached, her muscles felt numb, and her mind was blank. All symptoms.

She held her trained hand in front of her. It was so much... paler than usual. Her skin was a medium bronze, a colour she knew well. Every day she saw it, after all. But now, it was like she hadn't been outside in years.

She clenched her fist, looking at the veins running up her arm. They were dark. Much more than usual.

"I..."

She touched her own face, feeling the skin. 

Her skin was cold. Almost freezing.

Her eyes widened, a look of horror appearing on her face.

"No... N-No... This isn't... possible... Th-this can't... No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no..."

 

"My, I am oh so glad you have finally awoken! I truly thought you had reached the point of no return for a while there!"

"..."

She was shaking. Trembling.

"Who… Wh-what...? What's going on...?"

"Oh, my apologies, Miss Elsie! I suppose I should explain, yes?" It was a voice she heard before. One she heard just before she fell into her slumber.

"What did you do to me?!"

She looked around, her eyes eventually locking on to the figure standing in front of her.

He was a tall man, wearing a long, white coat that dragged against the floor. His snow white hair was long and perfectly kept, and his eyes were a deep, full silver. His crimson lips, which were forever twisted into a smile, covered two sharp fangs that made an appearance each time he opened his mouth.

"Me? Oh, I have done nothing, my dear!" He raised his arms, as if to show innocence. "Oh, well, I suppose I did one thing..."

"You..."

"You have evolved. Become more than what you were before."

The man took a step forward, leaning down to stare closer at the woman on the white, marble floor.

"You have become... better."

"Get away from me!"

Elsie scrambled back, attempting to stand up, though her legs failed her and she fell to the ground once more. She looked up at the Vampire in front of her, her breath growing heavy. 

Fear overwhelmed her, the one emotion she hated more than anything.

"No need to be so rude, my dear. After all, I am the one who saved you, am I not?"

"You killed me! I saw it, felt it... my– my body. Why am I so cold…?”

She already knew, but she didn’t dare admit it to herself.

"You killed yourself. And I brought you back. I saved you. I gave you a gift, and yet you treat me so cruelly... Is it not a wonder that you humans are the way you are?"

"Gift...? This-- This isn't a gift! I-- I'd rather be dead than be a fucking Vamp! You--"

The man grabbed her by the chin, forcing her to stare at him in the eyes, "That's a lie. You have things you still want, things you still crave... Ah, like that lovely black haired girl you were with... You care about her, don't you? So much, that you would give your life for hers. Yet you would deny yourself this? A new chance to protect her? To love her?"

"I-- That's not--"

"You want to stay with her. You want to hold her, kiss her, hug her, make her happy, make her smile, make her feel safe. Isn't that right?"

"..."

"I've given you the power to do just that... And more." A horrific, toothy grin replaced his smile as he let her go. "Tell me, what is your name? Your... full name."

"... You... don't deserve to know it. No... not after what you did to me."

"Are you sure? I'll give you one more chance~!"

"Shut U-- Ghhhk--!" A pain ran through her, and she gasped for air. Her eyes were wide, her mouth open as she choked, unable to breathe. Like as if her body was burning, like every single one of her muscles, her veins, were filled with a hot, scalding liquid.

"I suppose you don't know much about the rules we have. Now, a spawn does not refuse an order from their sire! That is, unless you wish to feel that again... Understand?"

"I-- Hggh... H-hk..."

"Answer me."

"I... I..."

"Well? Spit it out, will you? I don't have all day."

"Elsie... I'm Elsie."

"Elsie! Yes! I knew that. Your surname?"

"Elsie... Kuruvilla. My full name is Elsie Kuruvilla."

"Hmm... Not bad, but I'm afraid that won't work anymore. Instead of Kuruvilla... You are now Elsie Selene. After all, you are my spawn. It's only logical that you take my own surname!"

"You can't just--"

"I already did!" He laughed, a cruel and malicious laugh, "Ah, but I suppose you don't know my name, dear! It's Cyrell Selene, don’t forget it."

Her hands trembled as she tried to speak, tried to get some sort of an answer, "... Why did you do this? Why didn't you just let me die?"

"Ah, the age-old question! I appreciate those with will! I suppose I'll tell you... after all, it would be fun to see the look on your face when you hear it. You'll know soon enough."

"..."

"Now then... Elsie Selene, you may rise."

She stood up, her body moving on its own. It was horrid, like losing all control over her body... The only thing she had left was her mind. Her mind... How was she the same? Her mind was unchanged, at least not that she could notice.

There was one thing, though.

She was thirsty.

"I first noticed you a little while ago. You and your little soldier friends were on a mission... To kill three Vampires. Two of those were my spawn. I didn't care much about them but then I saw one like you... Not only did you have such powerful emotions in your little heart, you despised Vampires. They disgusted you with every fabric in your being... I could see it in you. After all, I feel the same many a time!”

"..."

"And so, I thought it would be oh so ironic if you were to be sired... and even more so if you were to become a part of my experiment. My heir."

"Sired? Heir? What the fuck are you talking about?"

"You really don't know, do you? Ah, it's not like humans teach you these things. You're... stupid, after all. Though, I suppose that can change now that you're not one!"

"Stop-- I'm not a fucking Vampire! I... I won't..."

"You already are. Don't fight it... accept it. And accept everything that comes with it."

"..."

"Now, onto what I wish to do with you." He tilted his head, "Tell me, have you heard of the term, Sangreal?"

"... No. I haven't."

"Hmm, sad... Ah! I suppose humans would call them 'True Bloods'!"

"..."

"A Vampire that was born by the union of two other True Bloods, or, Sangreals, instead of a human spawn. Yes, in that, they gain power.. But there is one other way for one to become a Sangreal, or, at least something close... Do you wish to know what that is, Elsie?"

"..."

"By drinking the blood of a Noble. One with a pure lineage... Ah, I'm a Noble, aren't I? Are you starting to see what I'm getting at?"

"I... No... I--"

"Become a Sangreal. Become my new Heir. My last was killed, you can replace them. All you need to do is drink, and drink, and drink... And maybe even kill a few humans. That is all~! And then... you can have her. The one you want... who you desire. Your urges guide you to her even now, don't they? You wish to find her, you wish to embrace her, and hold her close. You want her... but I will never give her to you. Not until you fulfill your duties, not until you become my Heir, Elsie Selene."

"... I-I... I can't..." Her eyes fell to the ground, her hands clenched tight.

"You can. You will."

"..."

"Don't resist it. You're a Vampire now, that's all there is to it. The only reason you are here is because I want you to be, and the only way for you to be free is if you obey. You still have a chance, don't you see? You must accept it! Claw your way to your new fate! Do it, and you can have her. That's all you desire, right? Her? Her, and her alone."

"I can’t... She'll hate me. I couldn't be with her like this... I'm... I'm a monster..."

"You are perfect." He spoke with a ferocity unbecoming of him, "Perhaps, she may even love you more now... You are stronger, more beautiful, smarter... You're more than you ever were before. I suppose the only thing you lost is being able to walk in the sun! Though, become a Sangreal, drink my blood, and you'll be able to bear it. Though, in short bursts. Ah, but I digress! The point is, she'll be yours."

"... She-- She'll be..." Her eyes slowly began to rise, her sharp nails digging into her military uniform.

"Yours." One word was all he had to say.

"..."

Not one dared to make a noise in the large room. Dared to break the silence.

But, it didn't last.

"Fine."

Her eyes locked onto his, a scowl on her face.

"I'll do it. I'll drink your blood, Vampire."

"Splendid! And, remember, don't bite the hand that feeds. Literally.” He smirked at his own joke, “Because I will kill you."

He stepped back, bringing a knife to his wrist.

"Now, drink. Drink, and you shall become more."

He applied pressure, and then slashed a slit into his wrist. Blood dripped down upon the perfectly polished, marble floor.

Elsie's eyes widened, her similarly slit shaped pupils dilating as they landed upon the crimson liquid.

"Wh–”

The scent hit her, and she covered her mouth and nose. It was... It was horrid, and yet it smelled like heaven. The scent was overwhelming, a putrid iron she knew all too well... yet she was drawn to it, as if in a trance. Her breath began to speed up, unsteady as she trembled.

"What are you waiting for? Hurry up. You wouldn't want to waste my precious blood, would you...?"

Her steps were slow and unsteady.

"So, go on."

She knelt down, her knees hitting the ground.

"Drink."

Drip. Drip. Drip. Each drop felt like it brought her closer to insanity.

"Drink!"

She could hold it in no longer.

Her tongue slipped out from between her lips, the blood from Cyrell's wrist slowly beginning to fall upon it. Her sharpened teeth were on full display, thin strands of saliva connecting the top and bottom.

"..."

It was divine.

Elsie was no longer aware of herself, only that blood. Only the blood, The blood which she swallowed down again and again, drinking greedily as if it was keeping her alive. Her eyes were glazed over, a look of pure joy upon her face. There were no fears, no hate, no sorrow. 

Only blood.

"There we are... Even you can act befitting of a fledgling."

He smiled, his grin wide as the woman drank and drank. The somewhat thick, red liquid began to drip down her face as more and more filled her mouth, as she gulped down more than she could ever possibly swallow.

"Ah, such a shame... You're getting it all over the nice floor... Oh well, I suppose you'll have to clean it..."

"Mm..."

The blood was so sweet, so wonderful, so delicious, that she could hardly even believe it. She knew what she was doing, she knew she should have hated herself, but...

it was better than anything she had ever swallowed. More satisfying than water, more filling than a feast. It was sweeter than any fruit, softer than any silk, more euphoric than any drug.

She couldn't stop. She couldn't bring herself to stop, even though she knew it was wrong.

And so she drank, and drank, and drank.

Until she couldn't anymore. Cyrell's cut quickly healed, the blood pouring out reaching a halt.

"Ah, I think you've had enough now... Now then, what do you say?"

"..."

The blood dribbled from her lips, the drops falling down.

"M... more..." She panted, her hands trembling as she mumbled.

"Ah, ah, ah! I'm afraid that's all... Though, if you're truly still thirsty..." A disgusting smile stretched across Cyrell's lips, "There's always the blood on the floor."

"..."

Elsie glanced at the ground, the puddle of blood still there. She didn't even question what he said, simply leaning further down upon the floor. She saw her once blonde hair fall down in front of her, now a pure, snow white.

It was so close. So tempting.

And, she leaned closer, her face inches away from the liquid.

"... No..."

She stopped.

"Oh? You don't wish to drink?"

"... I'm... I'm not this desperate. I won't stoop that low."

She pushed herself up, her legs shaky as she stood up. The disgust of having been so close to doing that… it overwhelmed her. So much so that she immediately snapped out of her crazed state.

"Haha, I'm impressed! Never before have I met a spawn, especially one drinking blood for their first time, resist the urge to drink... You are truly special, Elsie... And now, you are a Sangreal. You are more. Much more."

"..."

Elsie turned around, facing away from the Vampire.

"How long was I out for?"

"Two days. Your body was in quite the state, and healing was slow without having a steady supply of blood. Though, now you are fully healed."

"..."

She touched her face, her cold hands meeting colder skin. She shook her head, wiping the blood from her mouth.

"How was it?" Cyrell tilted his head.

"... What?"

"The blood. You looked so happy, so... enraptured. Just what did it taste like to you?"

"..."

"Fine, no need to tell me! I know. It tasted amazing, didn't it? That's how it is every time you give in to your desire. Better than any other substance on this planet... And soon, you'll be able to have more. To drink as much as you desire, and more. I know how thirsty you are, how much you crave. You won't be able to control yourself forever, dear... After all, you are a Vampire."

"I..."

Elsie didn't believe it, closing her eyes.

"... I am not. Like. you."

"Aha, of course. Ever willful, aren't you? That is fine! You'll learn in time~!" He chuckled, turning away from her. "I'm glad to have chosen you, Elsie. I'm sure we will get along wonderfully."

"..."

"Now, then, if you would follow me, I would like to show you to your room."

"... Where are we?"

"Ah, this is the Bloodgrounds of my manor! A truly sacred place where we Nobles sate our blood in a more... refined location. Often, this is where we drink for the first time! I still remember my first... Though, if you’re asking where the Bloodgrounds itself is located... This is the Selene estate. The ancestral home of the Selene family."

"So, I'm in Vampire territory..."

"You are in the great land of Nosferatu, yes."

"..."

"But we've wasted enough time. Come!

She followed after him, her arms crossed.

"The estate is quite large, and has many rooms, each for different purposes. You have already seen the Bloodgrounds, but the next room of note is the ballroom. A wonderful place, a place where we gather! We dance! We sing! Ah, have you ever done any of those?"

"... I have."

"How interesting! Tell me, who did you dance with?"

"Rosa... The black haired girl you noticed with me. That's the only person I've danced with."

"My, that's good to know... How about singing? Do you enjoy that?"

"No."

"A pity, I'll have to fix that, hm? Though, I myself prefer the wonderful art of painting! I'm quite skilled, in fact. It's been a passion of mine for a while now. Would you like to see any of my art?"

"... I’d rather die again.”

"Oh, I'm terribly hurt... And here I thought we were getting along so well. Ah, perhaps a tour would suffice?"

"No."

"Hm... How about your room?

"... Just bring me there."

"As you wish."

The two walked down the corridors, a heavy air around them.

"..."

Elsie kept quiet, her steps echoing through the seemingly endless halls.

"Here we are. The bedroom of, I hope, the future Heir of the Selene family!"

He opened the door, a small smile on his face.

"Welcome, my heir."

It was a large room. A very large room. The type Elsie dreamed about when she was but a child, the kind that she thought princesses lived in. It was a circular space, and in the middle was a queen sized bed. Across from the entrance was a large, arched window. Through it, she could see the black sky, the city beyond, and the dark ocean that stretched as far as the eye could see.

It was a view Elsie had never seen before. Not like this.

"..."

"What do you think?"

"It's... really fucking posh. That's what I think."

"Well, of course it is! After all, you're living with me, aren't you?"

"Don’t say that."

"Though, if there's something you want to change, you're free to do so. We have many servants here! I'm sure you'll get along splendidly."

"... It's fine as it is."

She took a step forward, looking left and right as she scoped out the place.

"There's clothes prepared for you on your bed. If you'd like to change, you can."

"..."

She touched the collar of her uniform, frowning. 

"Yeah."

"No ‘thank you’...?"

"... Not unless you're going to do that electricity thing to me again."

"Hah! Maybe if I get bored! But no, not now. So go on! Get changed. Your outfit is terribly drab.”

"..."

She walked up to the bed, the sheets a deep, rich purple, with gold trim. Her eyes wandered over to the clothes as soon as she was sick of the bright colours of the bed.

"Hmm..."

The clothes were an ink black. Pure black with no colour tainting it. It was a dress, one which went down to nearly her feet, though, the front was a tad higher up. It had a corset, the ribbons hanging loosely.

It was the exact type of dress Elsie had always hated.

"This is what you have for me?"

"What is wrong with it?"

"This isn't exactly the type of clothing I usually wear."

"Mmmm? Well, you can't dress as a soldier anymore, can you?"

"Why the hell not? Ugh… Is this seriously all I can wear?”

"Of course not! You can always walk around naked, if you'd like. I'm sure people wouldn't mind..."

She narrowed her eyes, her sharp teeth clenching, "Fucking creep."

"Hahaha! Hah! You’re truly a willful spawn!”

"..."

"... Do hurry and put the clothes on! There’s the entire day ahead of us!"

"Get out, I'm not doing it while you're here."

"Hm? Are you worried I would be ogling you like a typical man? I’m afraid to disappoint, but everything about you is physically unattractive to me. That’s true for everyone, though, so don’t feel bad about yourself!

“I really do not give a shit.”

“Ah… Alright. I suppose I'll indulge your whims."

He walked to the door, closing it behind him.

Elsie was left by herself, the gothic dress in her hand.

"... Bastard. That fucking-- Ugh..."

She sighed, taking off her jacket and unbuttoning her shirt.

"..."

She stopped, staring at the mirror on the wall.

She looked at her face in detail, running a finger over her skin. Her blonde hair had faded to white, her eyes now a pure silver. Her fangs poked out, her mouth slightly agape.

She was a monster.

"..."

She placed her hand upon her face, noticing how long and sharp her now black nails had grown. She ran them across her cheeks, leaving small, shallow cuts.

They were cold. So cold.

"... I barely feel a thing."

In but a moment, the cuts healed. They left no scar, no remnant, nothing. Just this perfectly clear, cold skin.

"..."

She let her fingers drop, looking down at her bare chest. Her skin was truly cold, the colour palid... But her heart, it still beat. She could feel it. It was slower, quieter, weaker, but it was still there.

Silently, she removed the rest of her top. She once had a few scars across her body, but now... they were gone. As if they were never there, just dying memories.

Her fingers touched her shoulder, then each part she remembered feeling pain when the grenade went off. It was all so numb now, nothing but the memory, the faint outline.

"..."

She moved her hands back to her body, slowly unzipping her pants. She took them off, letting the article of clothing fall to the ground.

Her legs were as cold as the rest of her body. Like ice. Her skin was perfect, every blemish she might have had gone. She was flawless, apart from a few things she missed about her true appearance. 

Her skin just looked... dead. But it was still what most would consider truly beautiful. And yet she hated it. She hated the new her, the one who had stolen her appearance, her face.

"..."

Elsie closed her eyes, removing her old underwear, and putting on the new. She grabbed the dress, slipping it on. It was tight around the chest and hips, too tight. She tried her best to loosen the corset, but she just couldn't figure it out. It made it hard to breathe, and yet her body didn't need it much. Not like humans did.

She felt so... empty. Like a doll.

"... This is all I have, now."

"Is the dress to your liking, dear? It fits you wonderfully."

Cyrell was standing at the door, which he had apparently reopened. Elsie clenched her fist, turning around to look at the man. 

"I told you to get out!"

"And I did! You didn't say to stay out…!"

"Gh-- and what if I was still changing, huh? What then?"

"My dear, I assure you I've seen thousands of naked bodies. Yours wouldn't surprise me!"

"That's not the problem here, you fuckin' bitch!"

"Aha, oh, it was a joke, dear! A joke. Though, the way you speak to me is a little too rude, no?"

"..."

"You may call me Sir, your highness, or even Lord Cyrell!"

"I'm not calling you that. I'd rather die..."

"Hmmm...?"

Elsie felt a tingle run down her spine. One that came before the pain. And, for a moment, she was scared.

"F-fine... Sir."

She was used to calling people sir. Her military superiors, mostly. Those she respected. But, she didn't respect this man, no, she had the opposite feeling for him.

"Much better! You truly do learn quickly! Though, I can't help but see your dress is a bit... sloppy. How about I fix it for you?" He smiled. She hated that smile.

"Fuck no! I'll fix it myself."

"Well, I'm afraid I'll have to insist, my dear!" He stepped towards her, "Just stand still, and let me..."

His hand approached her dress, looming closer and closer.

"Get the fuck away from me!"

Elsie jumped back, her back hitting the wall. She could hear her heartbeat pounding against her chest, her breath heavy.

"You truly are so dramatic... Fine! I'll call a maid! I suppose I'll have to learn what you can’t stand…”

He left the room, leaving Elsie alone once more.

"H-hah..."

She held a hand over her heart, her eyes wide. When that damn Vampire approached... she was horrified. Horrified of what he may have done. It was a fear she hadn't felt in a long time, something instinctual.

She fell to her knees, her back sliding against the wall. Then, she closed her eyes, her legs curling up to her chest.

"Rosa... I'm so, so sorry."

She held back tears, the pain in her heart growing.

She sat there for many minutes, quiet sobs escaping her lips.

 

"Miss Selene...?"

"... Huh?"

Elsie opened her eyes, wiping away the tears which had fallen down her face.

"Miss Selene, I am here to fix your dress."

"R-right."

The woman who had come into the room was shorter than her, with a somewhat gray-white shade of hair, her eyes a silver like Elsie's. She wore a maid dress that seemed perhaps one size too large, standing a bit away.

A vampire, though, instinctively, she felt that this maid was weaker than her. Far weaker.

With a smile, she approached Elsie calmly. Delicately.

"If it is okay, may you lift your arms?"

"... Sure."

"Thank you."

The maid's hands fell upon Elsie's torso, gently touching her. She pulled on the ribbons, tightening the corset.

"Please, breathe in."

Elsie followed the instruction, as if it was an order.

"Now, breathe out."

Elsie exhaled, feeling the fabric constrict her further.

"And once more..."

She complied.

"Perfect! How is it?"

"I... can breathe. It's better."

"Then it is good!" The maid's smile widened. "I will help you with your hair now."

"... My hair? Why my hair?"

"Sir Cyrell requested it. He said he wants you to look like a true Noble!"

"... Great."

Elsie rolled her eyes as she sat down on a nearby chair at the maid's request.

The maid let out a slight giggle at her response "Miss, your hair is truly beautiful. Do you normally style it this way?"

She put her hands upon her hair. It was let down, her hair falling down in thick curls.

"... Normally, it's kept back in a ponytail. Part of military guidelines. Can't have anything getting in the way of vision."

"Oh! You are a soldier, miss?"

"Yeah, I..." She went quiet, "... was. I was one."

"... I apologize, miss. Would you like to talk about something else?"

"I would."

"Understood."

The maid grabbed a comb from the wardrobe, beginning to brush out her hair.

"..."

"Would you like to be told of your schedule, miss? Perhaps that may interest you!"

"... Sure. Might as well hear what fresh hell awaits me…"

"Very well. First, you will meet Lord Cyrell for breakfast at eight, then you will have a tour of the manor. After that, you will be introduced to the other nobles at two. You will also be given your choice of servants!"

"My servants?"

"Yes, miss! I have been told you are to be Lord Cyrell's heir, so it only makes sense!"

"Right..."

"After that, you will be free to do as you please, miss."

"Hm... Do you know what time it is?"

"It is 7:08 PM, miss."

"Wait-- and I'm having breakfast?"

"Yes...? Why would you not?"

"... Nevermind."

Elsie sighed, crossing her arms. She’d have to get used to night and day practically getting switched.

"Hmmm... How would you like your hair, miss?"

"Huh? Oh, uh, however you want is fine. I don't care."

"Understood. May I braid it?"

"I… guess. Go ahead. It probably won’t look very different either way…"

"Very well, miss."

"..."

"I am sorry to ask, but could you turn around?"

"Yeah."

Elsie turned her body, facing the maid. The woman continued brushing her hair, and, soon, began to braid.

Her hands fell upon her hair, every so often touching her 

Looking at her face to face, close to her, the maid was rather... pretty. In a cute sort of way. A soft face, with a small mouth and a rounded nose. She wore a maid outfit, with a white frilled apron and a black undershirt, with a similarly coloured skirt. Like something she saw in old story books. It was so... 

The maid had a certain scent to her.  A perfume, maybe, probably. It was sweet, like a flower.

"Miss, is something wrong? You are staring..."

"... No... I-- Sorry."

It was like something she smelled before. Tasted before. For a while, that desire, that urge, it was gone. But it never truly disappeared, apparently. And with this maid so close, touching her hair with her gentle hands, she felt a tingling in her stomach, in her veins.

She was hungry.

"... You're quite... pretty."

"M-miss?" The maid's cheeks went pink. "You shouldn't say that to me! I-I'm just a servant..."

"..." Her breath had become quick, strong. She couldn't hide it, and her fangs were clearly on display as she almost panted. "I..."

"Miss... I-I've finished with your hair, if you would like to look in... the mirror." She spoke quietly, her gaze avoiding Elsie's.

She didn't respond, instead placing her hands upon the maid's back. She held her tightly and leaned in closer, her face an inch away from the woman's neck. She could feel her cold heart beating, she could hear it. 

The smell was even stronger this close. It overwhelmed her... 

She wanted more.

"... If... if you truly wish to partake... I will not resist. I... am here to serve, Miss Selene... I exist for your pleasure."

Her hands tightened, her nails digging into the fabric of her uniform.

"..."

The maid tilted her head, exposing her neck to Elsie.

"It may not nourish you, but... If  you want..."

Elsie's eyes suddenly widened, as if she came to her senses all in one quick moment.

"... I... I'm sorry."

Elsie pushed her back, letting go as her hands trembled.

"M-miss Selene...?"

"I-- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to– Fuck. I'm... I'm not myself-- I..., I'm... I'm so fucking sorry..." She clenched her teeth, a distraught expression upon her face.

"It... It is okay, miss. We all have moments where we can't control our urges. I will not hold it against you." She bowed her head, a slight smile on her face.

"No, no, that's not the problem, it's... I shouldn't have even thought about it, I... It was disgusting. You didn't do anything, and yet..." She felt her vision blur as tears formed within the bottom.

"Miss Selene, truly, it is fine... I do not hold anything against you-- And if the time ever comes, I am happy to serve, even in that regard."

"You can't! I'm not... I'm not like that, I would never force anyone to do something like that, I--"

"You would not be forcing me, miss. I’d… be happy to. It’s part of my purpose as one of the Selene family maids. In fact, it… would even be my pleasure." She said that, but she wasn’t entirely sure that was true.

After a moment of silence, Elsie took a deep breath in, wiping the tears away.

"... Could... could I ask what your name is?"

"My name, miss?"

"Yeah."

She let out a kind smile, one that made Elsie feel safe, "It is Mina Rost, miss."

"Elsie."

"Hm?" She tilted her head.

"You... you can just call me Elsie. If that's okay with you, I mean."

"Truly? I would be happy to! It is quite the pretty name, after all…”

"Y… yeah. Thanks," She looked at her, her breath calm as she returned her smile, "Yours is too."

"Why, thank you, Elsie!" She giggled, the sound reminding her of... "Do you wish to look in the mirror?"

"Yeah, sure."

Mina nodded, turning the chair around for Elsie to face the mirror.

"... Huh."

Elsie's somewhat long hair was braided into elegant loops, tied together by a black bow. She couldn't even recognize the woman in the mirror.

"Is it to your liking, Elsie?"

"Yeah... I like it."

"I'm glad!”

"..."

"May I stay here until you have to leave, Elsie?"

"If you want to."

"Very well!" She stood up straight, clasping her hands together.

Elsie stayed seated, simply watching the maid. She could smell the blood coursing through her veins. Hear her heart beat, hear the pumping, the flow. It was tantalizing... But she was in control. As much as she longed for it, longed to sink her sharp fangs into Mina's neck... she wouldn't. She wouldn't drink blood, even if... even if it was a Vampires.

... Mina was a Vampire. Yet, she was so... human. So warm.

But she wasn't, was she? She was a monster, a killer. A parasite. She had to remember that.

She was a Vampire.

"..."

The two stayed there, Mina's soft smile making her feel at ease.

"You are quite the lovely young lady, Elsie, if I am to say so myself. I was quite excited when I heard there would be a new member of the household!"

"... Thanks."

"And, you are truly beautiful, your skin is so smooth, and your hair is like a moonbeam! May I ask what you did before you were here? Well-- other than being a soldier! I suppose... where you were I suppose works better! You are... a noble, yes? You certainly have the regality of one! I heard Lord Cyrell mention you were to be his heir, so... A daughter? Though I didn't know he had any children..."

She truly knew nothing. Knew not that she was a human soldier, at least before this. Knew not that she was turned by Cyrell, nor that she hated him so. She was clueless.

It was a bit adorable to her.

"I'm... not his daughter," She responded, though stopped herself. What should she truly say? What should she reveal? Perhaps... it would be safer to forge an identity, at least for Mina.

She wanted Mina to like her, after all.

"Then, you are the child of another noble, perhaps?"

She smiled, trying more than anything to convince her it was all real, "Yes, I am. A lower rank family, however. This is why I was to be sent here after he took an interest in me. He believes I will make a fine heir."

For some reason, coming up with the lie was quite easy. 

"Oooooh! May I ask what family you are from?"

A slight twinge of dread hit her. Maybe taking the lie to that extent was a mistake.

"..."

"Elsie?"

"... N-nightshade. I was born into the Nightshade family."
She had no idea what the Nightshade family was, or if it even existed, but the word came to her suddenly, as if she had to say it. It was a sensation similar to something she had felt before, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on what it was exactly.

"Night…shade? I… see.”

Elsie breathed a sigh of relief, a slight smile forming even if the tone of Mina put her off.

"... May I ask what you did while a part of their family?”

It only got worse and worse. Elsie was never a good liar... and she was even worse at keeping her cool in a situation like this. She'd have to think of something quickly, but nothing was coming to mind...

"I-I... Uh... Well, I..."

"..."

Mina stared at her with those silver eyes, a curious look on her face.

"... You must forgive me. I... do not wish to speak of my time there."

"... Ah, I understand. It must be hard, especially with you living here now."

She smiled, feeling a pang of guilt as she looked at Mina's sympathetic face.

"I'm sorry."

"Oh, there's no need to apologize! I do not wish to cause you any harm."

"... Then, thanks."

Elsie let out a smile, her fangs on display.

"Of course!"

Mina smiled back, though seemed to get distracted for a moment as she stared into her face. Specifically, at her mouth.

"Elsie, has anyone told you that you have very impressive teeth? To be honest, I am quite envious!" Mina grinned, trying to ease the mood with a compliment.

"Really?" She tilted her head. She wasn't sure she liked them. After all, they were… not hers. Either way, she wanted to return the compliment, "Yours are as well, Mina."

"O-oh, you really shouldn't say things like that, Elsie..."

"Hm? Why not? It's true."

"W-well, you're a noble! I'm only a maid, I'm not nearly worthy of such… um, c-compliments."

"Really? I was just saying what I saw..."

"..." Mina's pale cheeks flushed red. "T-truly, Elsie, you shouldn't! I-it is unbecoming for a lady of your standing to say such things! I-I am not personally offended, it's just... if anyone saw a noble like yourself flirting with a maid-- a spawnblood at that..."

In that moment, Elsie felt true horror. More than any other moment in her entire life. In her desire to simply return a compliment, she completely forgot about the huge problem she had.
She had literally zero understanding of Vampire culture, customs, or etiquette. And, as a result… this misunderstanding. This horrible situation.

And, worst of all, the one who taught her absolutely nothing was probably waiting outside that door. That bastard.

"I-- No I-I was just trying to genuinely compliment you! It wasn't a-- a flirt or anything! It's not like that, I-I have a girlfriend so I--"

"Y-you want me to be w-what!?" Mina's eyes went wide, her face growing ever more red as she misheard her, "I apologize, but t-that is absolutely improper! W-what if Lord Cyrell found out that you a-asked such a thing?!"

What the hell kind of messed up triple meanings did these people have?! That was the most prominent thought rushing through her mind. That, and how to get the hell out of this situation.

"No! Mina, no, please listen to me! I wasn't-- It's not what you're thinking! Please, just--"

"I-I... I understand... If this is truly what you want, then… You m-may do with me as you l–"

"Mina, no!" She grabbed her by the shoulders, their eyes locking.

"E-Elsie?"

"Listen to me! Listen! Just-- please, listen! I'm not-- I don't want anything like that, okay?”

"B-but..."

"No. I... I have someone. A girlfriend. Her name is Rosa. I love her, and only her. I'm not interested in anyone else, and I would never try to cheat on her, okay? I-- I'm a bit clueless with all these social norms, so I didn't know that's how that would be taken... I'm sorry. But, please, I'm telling you the truth. I just wanted to give a genuine compliment."

"Y-you... love her?"

"Yes, I do. More than anything."

"... Then, I understand." Mina sighed, her shoulders relaxing. "You must forgive me. I... have no experience with love, so I may have misunderstood your intent… I’ve simply heard that returning a compliment about one’s fangs has… c-certain connotations…”
That certainly explained her reaction.

"Heard, huh? I… guess you’ve not been in a relationship, then?”

"Yes, I am afraid not. My position as a servant has... limited my social circles, I suppose."

"Well, how about you tell me about yourself, then?"

"Huh...?"

"Well, I've said quite a bit about myself... But you've barely said anything about yourself." Elsie smiled.

"T-that is true, but... You are a noble, and I am a simple maid. It is not proper..."

"I don't care. All this rank stuff is just... stupid. You're a person, aren't you? So just talk. You know, tell me about your family, what you like, things like that."

"A-ah, well... My family is not one of many prestige. We have served the Selene family for generations. I have three older sisters, all of whom have been in service to the manor. Though, we were not raised within these walls, but rather in a village some miles from here. That is where I was born. As for what I like, I quite enjoy the gardens, and singing! I also have a fondness for sweets, specifically cakes!"

"Cakes, huh? I think I'll have to have you show me the gardens then."

"That would be a pleasure, Elsie!"

"I'm looking forward to it."

Mina let out a bright smile.

"Ah... though quite a long time has passed. Should I escort you to your breakfast with Lord Cyrell? I am certain he is waiting for you, and I would not wish to upset him."

"... Yeah, that sounds good."

"Very well!"

The maid nodded, opening the door. She looked to Elsie, "Please, follow me."

Elsie followed, stepping out the door.

The halls were still so confusing. Even when she was shown around, it was a difficult layout to remember. She felt that the manor was more like a maze than anything... She always hated big houses. Big places in general, actually. She preferred something smaller, somewhere she could be truly comfortable.

Large rooms were always cold, after all.

But, then again, it didn't matter anymore. At least, not for a while now.

"This is the dining hall, miss. I believe Lord Cyrell will be waiting for you inside.

"Thank you."

"Oh, no need for thanks! It was my pleasure... All of it, I assure."

"I'm glad, Mina."

She nodded, and opened the door.

The dining room was large, vast, with a huge window looking over the manor courtyard. Sitting at the head of the table was Cyrell, his legs crossed as he stared at Elsie.

"Welcome, Elsie! I hope that little maid served you... very well~." Cyrell smirked.

"..." Elsie almost forgot in the short time she was away how much she hated his smug face. Either way, she slowly began to approach.

"Is she to your liking, dear? You could have her as one of your own, if you wish!"

"Don't talk about her like she's some object."

"Ah, well, aren't we protective? I take it you had fun with her? Aren't you the--"

"No, I didn't. She's nice, is all. Unlike you, I don't treat people like property."

He yawned, rolling his eyes as he leaned on his palm, "Truly? Hm... It didn't seem like that when you were about to take a bite out of the little maid."

"... I gained control of myself, and apologized."

"Really? How amusing. You must have been too hungry to even notice it-- Oh my! You should've heard her, you know. Her little gasps, the way her heart raced, the scent of fear and... excitement... Oh, and something inside you liked that. Truly, I could see your hunger, the way you looked at her. The way your eyes narrowed, the way your breathing changed... it was beautiful, my dear."

"..."

"You were so, so tempted, weren't you? I bet you're thinking of it right now. Thinking back on that moment... again and again, no? How you could have taken her into your hands, held her cheek as you leaned forward closer to her neck," He leaned forward in turn, smirking, "Then, your fangs would dig into her pale flesh, tearing, ripping it as you drained her dry, and all the while she'd scream, her body trembling as she begged for mercy."

"I wouldn't!" She took a step forward, clenching her hands into fists as she shook her head. But still, she stood there at the other end of the table, not daring to sit. Not daring to meet him at his level, to look him in the eyes at equal heights. "I wouldn't fucking do that!"

"Oh, but you would, dear. It's in your blood. The way you are now, the way you feel. The urge to feed, to devour... it's all there. You're not the same girl anymore. The girl who would sacrifice her life to save the one she loved. The one that would do anything to help people..."

"Stop..."

"The woman who is standing before me, her sharp fangs on display, her cold, dead heart racing, she's something new. That old girl died that night, died the night of the attack. And now, you're what's left. A vampire! A killer. A predator~!"

"Shut the fuck up..."

"And yet, you refuse. You refuse to accept yourself. Oh, You don't want to be a monster! You're a human! A person! But, tell me, do humans drink blood? Do humans crave flesh? Do humans desire the sweet scent of fear? Do they wish for nothing more than to tear into the necks of their victims?"

"Shut up!"

"No, no they don't. You are a monster, a predator, a Vampire. And one day, you will give in."

"Fuck you. I’m not going to… I won’t."

"It's inevitable, dear. The moment you drank my blood, you couldn't go back. You'll need to partake again, and the blood of a Vampire will not sate you for long. Even mine will only grant you temporary satiation... You will begin to starve. One day, and a day sooner than you would desire, you will need to drink human blood. And I'm sure you will. You will tear into the throats of those weaker than you, draining them until their body shrivels. And you will love it. You will love every moment of it, and it will terrify you~. Your human soul will be horrified by the monster you are.

"..."

"Oh, the pain, the guilt, the horror, it will fill you. But even then, even then, you won't be able to stop. Because, in the end, the bloodlust will be stronger than any fear, any guilt. And once it takes hold, well, the monster will truly awaken."

"... What do you want, Cyrell?"

"What do I want, hm?" He leaned back, putting his hands on his knees, "Oh, how about some tea? We have a lovely collection of herbal teas! While blood is the only drink we truly need, there is no need to ignore the finer things, no?"

"That's not--"

"So sit, my dear heir. Sit down, and let us share a meal. A civilized meal. After all, you have a long night in front of you."

"..."

"I will not take no for an answer, dear. If I must, I will force you to stay."

Elsie sighed, taking a seat opposite of the man.

"I see your hair is quite well done. Did our little maid help you with that?"

"Yes."

"How wonderful."

A pair of servants came in from the side, placing a cup of tea before both Elsie and Cyrell. The smell was sweet, but also sour. A strange combination.

"You may go now, Servants. Now, Elsie, I want you to take a sip. After all, a meal should be savored~."

After a moment of deliberation, she brought the cup to her lips, drinking it slowly. It tasted the way it smelled, with a tinge of something spicy.

"Wonderful, isn't it? Our family's herbal blends are quite the delicacy."

"... I expected you to put an eye in the cup or something. Or, maybe, a dead rat.

"My dear, you should not accuse others of such acts." He laughed, "And I would not dare to ruin such a delicious drink!"

He took a sip himself, his fingers delicately holding the cup.

"You know, I oh so enjoyed watching you lie to the poor little maid."

"..."

"You really are quite the actor. To convince her of such a farce! You've certainly gotten the hang of it... Or, perhaps, she's just gullible? Hah! Either way, I find it quite interesting! Perhaps she will share the information you told her to the other maids... and, as they say, a rumour shared among maids spreads like wildfire!"

"And why does it matter? You said it yourself, it's a lie."

"Oh, but I didn't.” He lied to her face, “I suppose I'll pretend that's who you are! A noble from the Nightshade family, sent to me to become my heir! My, a backstory truly makes these things better, no? A past, a story! It'll make it so, so much easier for the other nobles to accept you. You know, the ones you'll be meeting tonight!"

"... Why the fuck are you doing this? Is this just a game to you? Is it fun to torment me? Fuck you."

"You're the one who decided to play this little game, my dear. You could have told the truth, told the poor little maid everything, but you didn't~! And so, this is all on you."

"... Fine. Whatever."

"That's what I like to hear! Now, what would you like to eat? Even us vampires need to fill our stomachs with more than just blood! And the cooks here are quite talented~."

"I don't want anything. I'm not hungry."

"That's a lie. As my spawn, I can feel the things you do! You are starving... Well, for blood and the food you're used to. Still, I'm sure you would enjoy our meals! After all, it was the food which kept me going all these years~."

"... I don't want any food."

"Ah, I suppose I'll just order for you... How does snail sound?"

Elsie flinched as she heard the word leave his mouth. Her one and only irrational fear… just how the hell did he know about it? "... N-nevermind. I'll order, I'll order... Could... could I have some eggs? Just some scrambled eggs and bacon... and... uh... some toast?"

"Ah, I knew you'd change your mind. I'm sure the cooks can work that out for you! Though, we don't usually eat such things... But I suppose they'll figure it out!"

"... Right."

"Hm," He narrowed his eyes with the same smile plastered on his face. He motioned a servant closer as he told them the order.

"Tell me, dear, would you like me to teach you the customs of Vampires?"

"Customs?"

"Indeed. The social etiquette, the mannerisms, the... ways. After all, you are to be the heir to the Selene family. You can't walk around not knowing what it means to be a Noble! Hah, nor go around accidentally flirting with the maids..."

"Could you like, stop stalking me for a second? Were you listening to everything in that conversation?" She groaned.

"Yes, I was, actually! And no. I will not." He smirked as he tilted his head, staring into her fellow silver eyes, "It's simply far too hilarious to not."

"Fine, whatever, just teach me."

"Oh, with pleasure. But first, let's eat! I don't want to bore you during the meal..."

"Yeah... okay."

She stared at him as he waited for the food. He seemed to stare off into the distance. At what, she wasn't certain.

The servant came in quickly, bringing their food. Elsie was given a plate of eggs and bacon, while Cyrell was greeted with a steak. A rare, juicy steak, that Elsie really hoped came from a cow and not a human.

"Ah, thank you! Now, dig in, dear."

She was the first to take a bite. It was surprisingly good.

"This is delicious..."

"I told you so. The cooks are quite good at their jobs! It is quite the benefit to have such a well trained staff~. Oh, but I'm sure you're well aware of that by now…”

"..."

He was silent as he ate, the smile not leaving his face.

The food was alright, but compared to blood, it wasn’t impressive. In fact, it was almost dull.

"..."

"Well, my dear, I'll start with the basics. Firstly, as a noble, you must remember your rank. You are superior to others, and you should act like it."

"Elitist..."

"Second, you should know that as a noble, you have a duty to uphold. The Selene family, while not the most powerful, is nonetheless an influential force, and as my heir, you will be a major part of the future of our house. You will have great influence in the political sphere, as well as the military one. Though, I have no intention to let you into the latter. I cannot risk my heir getting hurt, can I? Not before you've grown more powerful..."

"What a shame."

"Third, I must warn you that while you are indeed a noble, there is one thing you cannot tell anyone.”

"Which is...?"

"You are a member of the Selene house, and thus, our prestige. However, if anyone were to find out you are not a Vampire, or, rather, a Spawnblood... Well, it would not be good, to say the least."

"Oh, and why is that?"

"Let's just say there are those who don't quite favor Spawn in powerful positions! After all, the higher you are, the further you fall~."

"I get it, I get it, I can't tell people I was a human."

"Indeed, my dear! Now, I suppose I should teach you some table etiquette! I mean disrespect when I say this, you eat like a human! First, never slouch your back, always keep a straight posture. Second, when you're using your utensils, do not hold them like you would a pen. Hold your knife with your dominant hand, dear! Your index finger should be along the back of the handle, while the thumb rests on the side. As for the fork, hold it with your non-dominant hand. The handle should rest between the thumb and index finger, and the other fingers should lightly grasp the handle! Oh, and, while using the fork, the tines should always face the plate!"

"What the fuck are tines?"

"Aha, you are truly uncivilized. The prongs, dear. The prongs of the fork! And, do not use your hands to eat. Do not even touch the food with your hands. Also, make sure not to speak with your mouth full."

"Yeah, I know that... I'm not a dumbass..."

"Ah, and on that note, you must speak like a lady! No more vulgarity, no more foul language. You are to be a refined woman, a dignified noble! And, most importantly, a true heir to the Selene line!"

"But-- that's just how I talk… Whatever, fine. I'll try."

"Good! Now, when you greet another person, be it a noble or a servant, you should always bow your head slightly, and then look the person in the eyes. This shows respect, and gives an air of confidence and pride."

"Uh-huh..."

"Another thing to remember, my dear, is that nobles should always show the proper level of courtesy, both in private and in public. If you are not in your room alone, or with other nobles, you are to always address people using titles and names. When talking to a fellow noble, use their title, and then their name! For example, if a lady named Lilia approaches you, you would say 'Good morning, Lady Lilia.' or, perhaps, 'Lady Lilia, I must thank you for the assistance with the matter of the trade route.' or, perhaps, even 'Lady Lilia, what good fortune it is to see you on this day!' or even--"

"Okay, okay, I get it! Titles, names, got it."

"Excellent, excellent. Now, as for the servants, you should never use their names! You will refer to them by their station or role, nothing else. For example, 'Could you bring me my drink, maid?' or, servant, bring me a cup of tea.' or, ‘Server, fetch me a steak. Make it rare, and bring it to me on the double. Oh, and make sure the sauce is properly prepared.' or even--"

"I understand! Christ... this is annoying. Can't I just like, ask nicely? And doesn't calling them that seem a little demeaning? Like, wouldn't it be better if--"

"No. There is a strict hierarchy within the manor, and each member knows their place. To not call them by their appropriate title would be improper and a disgrace to our house."

"... Fine, I'll... do that, I guess. In public."

"Good. Another thing to note is that nobles always walk with grace. You must keep your head up, and your shoulders square. If you're sitting, then cross your legs at the ankle. Never the knee, my dear."

"Yeah, yeah, I get it..."

"When talking, try not to slur your words. Proper diction is a necessity. Try to pronounce your words clearly, and use enunciation! You must also maintain eye contact during conversations, especially when talking to other nobles. Avoid looking down, as that could be seen as an insult, or an admission of weakness. And, when a person talks, you should give them your full attention. You should not look around, and you should not fidget. And, finally, when someone is finished speaking, you should wait for a pause in the conversation before giving your response! Oh, and, never interrupt others when they are talking.  Of course, there are times where a certain urgency might be called for, but... Well, you should only do so if it's a very important matter."

"..." All the endless rambling was starting to get to her. If it was Rosa talking, she’d probably be able to focus… but with this guy?

No. No, she could not.

"Well, now that I've gotten those basics down, how about we go over the social hierarchy of our kind?"

"I’d rather die again."

"Hah!  Is that going to be your new catchphrase? Well, that's too bad. You're going to live for quite a long time. And, as the heir, you should know these things!"

"Ugh..."

"First, there is the spawn. They are the lowest caste, just barely above humans. After all, they were once humans themselves. Their powers are weak, and their bloodline is diluted. The most they can do is sense others, and see through the darkness. Though, many still have the ability to fly, at least when they are blood starved. The Spawnbloods are the children of two spawns, thus meaning they were born a Vampire. Unlike their parents, they are more powerful, and their blood is purer, though still not to the level of a Sangreal. Still, they are not to be respected, and are usually treated as lower class servants! Ah, like that maid you spoke to earlier! I wonder when you’ll make a move on her…?"

"Shut the hell up. God, your voice is grating…”

"As for the next rank, we have true vampires, Sangreals. Or, as humans call them, True Bloods. Power wise, this is the rank you would currently fit into! They are descendants of the weaker families of the original Vampires! They are pure Vampires, but they are not pure enough for the next rank... Though, that's not to say they are weak! They are powerful, and their blood is strong."

She bit her tongue as she heard the word. Sangreals... True Bloods. She saw how strong even one of them were. Even a child was able to overpower her when she was a human...

She hated thinking that. Accepting that she was no longer human.

"Let me guess. Next is you Nobles?"

"That's right, my dear! My, you're the tiniest bit intelligent after all. Nobles, or, as humans apparently would say, Highbloods. In the years of our original incarnations, our ancestors were granted the blood, and therefore, some of the power of our great royals. And so, we were given the title of noble. However, as our lineages diluted, the lower rank nobles have weakened as of late... Though, the same cannot be said of us, who are granted blood every generation that goes by. Our power is the closest to what the first of our kind had. And so, we are the highest, most powerful of the Vampire castes."

"So, the ones at the top of the chain... That would be..."

"Vampire Royals. Beyond the power of most can even comprehend. The ones who rule. The ones who control. The ones who own. Our current queen has been alive for... thousands of years now. She has created five daughters, and three… sons.” Cyrell seemed to pause before saying the word, almost as if he was hesitant. However, he quickly continued, his smile returning,  “All of whom are stronger than even a noble. The Queen has granted them the power to rule in her name. They are the ones who make the decisions, who control the lands! And so, as a Noble, you should know to pay them the respect they deserve. They are, after all, our leaders. Our lords. The ones who decide the fate of our people!"

"... Yeah, got it. Queen, eight kids. All that. She have a partner, or...?"

Cyrell was uncharacteristically silent for a moment.

"Aha. Ask that question near anybody above you and you very well might lose your head, dear. No, the Queen has no partner, not as it stands. So, do not pry. Not if you value your well being."

She felt a shudder run down her spine, "Y-yeah, sure... I won't."

"Very good. Now, the older of the queen's children have a few children as well, but, your mind must be struggling to take in all this information as it stands! Let us save that lesson for later."

"..."

"For now, let's end our class!  After all, there's much more for you to do tonight! So, why don't we start with a tour around the manor?"

"Oh, sure. Sounds like a blast." Her words overflowed with sarcasm, though Cyrell didn’t seem to notice. Or, he just didn’t care.

"Then, follow me, my dear~."

Cyrell rose from his seat and walked towards her, his smile ever present as he offered his hand to Elsie.

With a scowl, she slapped it away, standing up by herself.

"Don't touch me."

He smirked, "As you wish, my dear heir."

3