Chapter 9
30 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

These few months mining down in the lowest parts of the stacks have really given me some perspective.

Life in the mines is long exhausting days and sometimes nights working sometimes if something really needed done.

I have been worked to muscle failure four times now, and the amount of muscle I have put on is noticeable already.

It honestly has been one of the best ways to train my body so far, so I hope the gains continue.

I get to see Robbie sometimes as he works in the mines as well, although mostly in the safer sections.

Boldt has been hard on me especially early on, he says that if I am going to do the job, best do it right.

Since most of the dangerous work has been done multiple times by me, I am moved to a more stable spot now as they have had no trouble from me.

I am now working a vein of what appears to be iron, so I am actually getting paid a bit more than normal for bringing in what boldt says is "Three peoples worth of ore a day"

I am sure he is just exaggerating but its good having some funds again.

I have mostly been using the funds to get better food to take care of myself, as the food they give us is fine, but I need the extra proteins and vitamins as I am using this as a workout routine.

It wasn't long into mining the iron vein that it ended and I was brought to tunnel.

I knew this tunnel as it was known as the "vacation tunnel", it had gotten so long that by the time you walked to the end of the tunnel, you likely had 5-10 minutes of working before you needed to start walking back.

So people were issued to this tunnel when there wasn't something for them to actually do, but they weren't allowed much free time.

But this time, me and a group of people were to start building a track from the beginning of the tunnel to the end to allow for people to get work done when assigned here, likely due to the fact other tunnels was getting to the length of this one and they wanted to continue this tunnel.

As me and the group were arriving at the vacation tunnel, we were meet by Robbie, he had on a green vest with 2 stripes, looks like he is our leader, might have to tease him if I got a chance.

"Ok, everyone we have a whole set of rail to lay today, and a few parts of the tunnel have become weakened due to some water in the area, so I will be leading everyone and as we arrive at the positions for you to split up and start on the task, me and the others will continue until everyone is set up for the while line, this of course means the people at the end of the tunnel will be having a long day, I have brought some lunch for you but we will just have to push through for the day and tough it out."

At this robbie picked up a Huge backpack, I likely still can't compare to him in strength, especially since he was working here before I was sent down here.

I picked up my set of rails and began to follow the group.

We ended up stopping 5 times before I was told to stop with a group and Robbie continued on, with how many people he has left, he is 3 stops away.

We start on our section of rails setting lined up along the wall as that is where the rails were going, The ties themselves didn't matter but the rails can't be affixed until the previous sections had done theirs, so we ended up having everything ready and were resting o nthe group. 

Robbie's group was likely having their lunch by now, and I am officially jealous ahaha.

I notice that it had become more silent then normal, and I hear why. 

The people around me had notices the sound of running water, I panicked a little as I stood up, as the entire group down here was branded, and robbie.

We weren't allowed to leave our post until robbie told us to, but I am sure they wouldn't mind if we made our way to safety, but I was worried about robbie.

He was a good 30-45 minutes down the tunnel and I was already starting to see some water leaking. 

So I starting jogging down the tunnel to where robbie was when the tunnel behind me opened up and was pouring water into the tunnel at an Alarming rate, it would start to fill up quickly, but bit of the ceiling were also falling and I could see part of the walls buckling.

I was running now, and finally saw Robbie helping a wounded guy speed walk in my direction.

"Robbie, grab his shoulders, I got his legs!"

"yea, lets hurry!"

After taking the guys legs, with me in the lead, I was taking us in the direction to get out of the tunnel, but the water was not rushing against me and was making it hard to keep the fast pace.

We were already a good half way out of the tunnel when the walls to our left and right begain to buckle in, and it happened in an instant, the walls fell with the ceiling to land on me and the injured guy.

Luckily, I was only pinned down with think mud like clay and rocks but it would still be hard to get out, nearly 70% of my body was covered including my whole left arm.

Thankfully nothing seemed broken so far, so I was happy about that, but the man that me and robbie were carrying was to my left, and onto the very tips of his boots were showing.

"Robbie, you all good back there?"

There was no answer and I felt my lower body getting wet and cold.

I tired to dig my other arm out at least and found that I couldn't, it was deftly stuck in the mixture of mud and rock.

The water was now just at my chest level with my on the ground, I should have a little more time to think as the whole tunnel was a long very slight slope downwards to allow for collection of extra water at the bottom.

I tried to use wind magic to blow away the mud but it was stuck in there good, and I tried to blast the mixture with fire to dry it and make it easier to break, but it wouldn't.

I was panicking very badly, the water finally touched my chip and I was accepting that might not make it out.

I was laying there, no people near me in a nearly pitch black tunnel, about to drown if I couldn't get my head out of the water.

I had a thought and  began to use the water around me and build a small Ice Wall going up and up, funneling in more water until it made almost a dome. 

This would at least buy me time, but had to water the water on the outside of the dome rise.

It was now a good deal over my head, so if the dome weren't here, neither would I be anylonger.

It was getting close to the entrance to the dome, so I did have to extend it up further with a Cylinder. 

I knew I could only do this so much before I needed to close it, but the moment I close it, I lock my air supply to what is around me, and put myself on a timer.

I could see it was very near the ceiling now, so I extended it further up, but saw that this was the last time I could extend it.

It was getting cold, and the water was right at the point of slightly pouring into the bubble now, I let some get in and made a bowl using the water turned into ice to catch the extra water.

Even doing this, the water was still coming in and was getting faster, so I closed the top and a lump formed in my throat as I did.

I took a drink of the collected water as it had been around 4 hours by now and I was getting thirsty.

After drinking, I fell asleep to conserve oxygen.

I don't know how long it had been when I woke up, but I could no longer see where the top of the water was, so I was well and truly under water now.

But from the water in front of me, up the tunnel. I could see lights, so they were working on it.

I had fallen asleep again, likely due to the low oxygen where I was.

I used a low level wind spell the stir up the oxygen and carbon dioxide and was good for a little, but I will need to continue to do this.

After many hours, I was yawning more and more, unable to get the amount of oxygen I needed when I finally saw someone just outside my bubble.

I quickly opened that part of the bubble and fresh air rushed in, it was slightly warm as well and I was freezing.

The group of 3 people moved in, breaking down the bubble I had made as they had cleared all the water up until now, and started to dig me out, when I was finally out, I really couldn't move from being so cold and laying in the same spot while being pressed down on.

Since I couldn't really move, they picked me up and put me on the a stretcher and people were checking me out, while I watched them pull the man I was carrying with robbie......

My mind instantly raced thinking about robbie and I tried to call for him, but my throat was hoarse and it came out in spirts "Ro....bbi..e."

"We are looking for miner leader robbie, do you know where he was?"

"Behind......me..."

The look on the mans face showed remorse for a moment, but nodded and went back to looking me over as he said. "The tunnel was filled with water and we only just made it to your, with the rocks in the way, no one beyond you will have survived, I am sorry for your lose son."

I was completely stunned by this and didn't feel any real emotion, for some reason.

When I finally emerged from the tunnel on a flatbed stretcher minecart I saw there were tons of people there, but some people picked up my stretcher and took me to a cramped long room out of the way.

In the room, there were more people seemingly also hurt from the tunnel cave in, but all looked in much worse condition then me.

Other than some mild cold, and some scrapes I seemed to be fine.

But I was seeming people with broken arms and legs, and one man with a nearly completely wrapped head with a straw coming off it.

After I was treating and they made sure I no broken bones, I was release for now.

As I was leaving the area as they wouldn't let me help, I saw Kira and she was crying but ran over to me.

"Dani where is he, where is robbie...."

I couldn't answer for a moment, "He was behind me, but the tunnel collapsed..."

She cried into my shoulder and we stood there for a moment, she was angry and was throwing her fists around, and then she started really hitting me before saying "Why couldn't you save him, you have all this magic and couldn't save one person?" She all but glared at me, before beginning to cry again and ran off.

Before I could chase after her to.... to do something.... I don't even know what I could do for her, while thinking this, I see my dad walking toward me.

He was opening crying as well, I walked over to him and we each squeegeed hard in a big hug, not wanting to release just yet.

And with the feeling of nearly dying, and everything that had happened, everything caught up to me, and I all but collapse while hugging my dad and wept.

4