Chapter 0 – Into – I wish for freedom
137 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Intro - I wish for freedom. 


I had waited and waited. Not just right now as I stared holes at the double doors of the Temple. It wasn't that village life was boring. Well it was, but that wasn't the point. It's that she dreamed of more. 

More than just baking with her mum or even hunting with her dad. Her dad even had a hunter class, but was only too happy to hunt the surrounding lands for game meat. He could have become an Adventurer, but he met mum. Not that I’m complaining, it’s why I was here to be able to understand how bored I was. 

“Are you excited?” My mum asked me.

Yes. I thought to myself. “Not really.” I shrugged off. Why would I be? This was only the most important event of my life.

“Liar.” My dad said. “Classes are given based on desire as well. The system responds to that. Not just how much time you've spent baking with your mum.” Dad said, seeing right through me.

“I know.” We’d had to make the trek from our small village to the main town of the area. Dad borrowed a horse from the neighbour. Because honestly mum couldn't have walked that far. Dad and I had walked.

The wide double-door of the Temple swung outwards, a Fat, balding man in a pure white robe laced with Gold trim and a golden sole draped over his shoulders stepped out of the Temple and stood at the top of the steps. 

“All who seek the blessing of the maker's system! Step forward!” The moon would be at its highest in an hour. And it was best not to miss it, or you’d have to wait until the following month. 

I gave my mum a kiss on the cheek and my dad a punch in the gut. He didn't even flinch, but waited a second before doubling over in mock pain. With his head down at my own level I kissed him on the forehead and headed up the stairs of the Temple. I was stuck behind a large group of fellow fresh Eighteen year olds. 

The Temple was opulent, to say the least. Gold trim, white marble. The local mayor was a devout follower of the Maker and the pantheon of gods. Apparently he invested heavily in his Temple. ‘His’ temple, meaning… this Temple. 

Rumour was he was compensating for the misdeeds of his past. We moved through the Temple into the Holy garden. The moonlight above streamed down over the medicine fields and the grassy area. 

Cushions were laid out. More than enough for the group of us. We moved to the cushions closest to the priest. Kneeling on the Cushions and waiting. I never much liked church, but the look from the Priest made me shiver. He looked holy but it seemed like there was ice to his eyes. He looked around with contempt. He thought he had better things to be doing than unlocking the classes of a bunch of kids like us.

He began speaking. His voice honestly lulling me a little. 

No passion. I thought to myself. The ritual of Classes is meant to be the highest of rituals. The most important duty. But he wants to be elsewhere. I took a deep breath and sighed. It wasn't important what he said anyway. The tradition was to travel to town and have a priest guide the unlocking. 

But really all you needed was the full moon after your 18th birthday and to be sending your thoughts to the maker and the pantheon of gods. I looked up to the moon interlocking my fingers in my lap and pretty much ignored the Priest. 

Maker. I directed my thoughts at the moon. Maker bless me. Maker please bless me. I added. Amtyx, Tevthyr, Judrom and Hakos. Teli, Elassila and Xiulla. The Upper Pantheon of Gods. The pantheon of Minor Gods. Please bless me. I begged. 

I wasn't above begging. I wish health on my Mother and Father. And I wish to be free. I wish for freedom and servitude. Freedom to do as I wish. And freedom to serve as I wish. Channelling my actions into prayer. To serve you by protecting the people. Please hear my prayer. 

I’d been thinking of my Prayer for a long time. Refining it into what it is now. I wasn't by nature a religious type, but I believed. I believed like my dad believed. Actions spoke louder than words. And following your heart and your morals. Thinking kindly of others. Treating others how we would like to be treated. I wish for strength. 

I closed my eyes as the priest droned on. The night was cool but I felt my body warming. The light of the moon bathed me in its warmth. I felt my mind quiet as the warmth of the moon suffused me.

5