2: Prologue 02
65 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I didn't know how long she intended to keep this up, but for now, all I could do was continue holding onto her. During this time, she continued to drink blood from my neck. I didn't know how much blood I had left to give, but it didn't matter. I was probably close to death anyway... She could do whatever she wanted.

After about a minute, the first one to let go was Luna. She panicked and released her mouth, then looked at me with a puzzled expression, asking:

"Uh... Sis? What... what was I just doing? Ah... why does my mouth taste like blood?"

I immediately countered:

"I was about to ask you the same thing! Did you just bite me? Are you sleepwalking or something?"

I pretended to be angry, but inside I was ecstatic.

Luna, on the other hand, was confused. She looked around as if she hadn't woken up yet:

"Um... where are we? What happened? My head's all fuzzy... Huh? Why does the air smell like rust... Huh... Ah!!"

Her final scream seemed to indicate she also noticed the numerous bodies around us, suggesting she was gradually recalling what had just happened...

"This... this... Ahh!!"

In a state of panic, Luna immediately tried to move her body. But as she moved, she pulled on the spear that had pierced through her chest.

I quickly reassured her, trying to prevent her from panicking too much. I gently held Luna's hand and embraced her, hoping it would help calm her down.

"Stay calm, don't move..."

Luna curled up in pain, just looking at her made me wince. She pressed her hands against the fatal wound on her chest, too pained to even speak, seemingly lacking the strength to cry out.

After a few seconds, when the pain subsided slightly, she raised her head slightly. She looked at the spear in her chest and whispered in a voice as fragile as a thread:

"Why... this... thing..."

I glanced down at the bloody spear protruding from my chest, then explained what I knew:

"I think after the bandits killed us, the force of the spear was too strong, causing it to pierce through the wooden floor behind you. It got stuck and couldn't be pulled out... I didn't expect the bandits to leave us this farewell gift before leaving."

After understanding the situation, she lay back again and then touched the handle of the spear between us. She tapped it lightly, then looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked:

"No... what Luna wants to know is, why aren't we dead? It's one thing for us to have other injuries, but this spear has pierced both me and your chests. It wouldn't be surprising if we were dead on the spot, right?"

"Who knows? I'm wondering the same thing. But instead of thinking about that, I just want to hold you tight now... I don't know how much longer I'll live, but being able to see you again at the end... is just wonderful... Keuh--!"

I hugged her gently, burying my face behind her shoulder, and sobbed softly. I once thought I had lost an irreplaceable sister, but now she was back in my arms. No matter what happens now, I won't let her go again.

"Sis... sis... Hngh--!"

Luna gently embraced me, leaning her face against mine with a relieved expression. The two of us lay in the pool of blood, feeling grateful for our survival.

After embracing for several seconds, I released Luna contentedly and began to complain about our current situation:

"Speaking of which... now doesn't seem like the time to be moved, does it?"

"Yeah... weren't we supposed to be dead? Why did we suddenly come back to life?"

"...Come back to life?" I looked at myself skeptically.

My body was still heavily injured, so it's not like I've resurrected, right? Where's the resurrection?

I glanced back at the room, which was filled with the corpses of villagers, each one looking incredibly tragic. I felt lucky that we managed to remain intact amidst the massacre.

Luna looked at her blood-soaked hands and then glanced at the ground behind her. Finally, she remarked with a sense of wonder:

"Wow... it's amazing, is all this blood ours? I'm covered in blood now, it feels like I'm taking a bath in blood, such a unique experience..."

After saying that, she patted the ground behind her with her hands. Like she was patting the surface of water, it made a clear splashing sound.

I couldn't agree with her perspective, so I immediately complained:

"It's better to never experience this again... it's a nightmare!"

"Is it?... Luna finds it quite funny, after all, not dying despite such injuries, it doesn't feel scary at all."

"Um... what's so funny about it? Are you sure you didn't hit your head?"

I didn't expect her to make such a joke, and it started to worry me a bit...

But I guess I can understand her mood, because even in this hellish place, we haven't gone insane or lost our minds yet... Did we have such strong willpower? This abnormal calmness actually makes me anxious.

It feels like we've transcended fear due to the overwhelming shock, or perhaps we've been crazy for a while without realizing it. But it's also possible that our bodies are just too weak to collapse.

But whatever the truth is, it's fortunate that I can maintain this rationality. Before completely breaking down, I should figure out a way to get through this ordeal.

However, to my casual remark, Luna actually took it seriously and checked her head, then confirmed while saying:

"Well... it seems like there's no injury on my head, but my whole body hurts. Maybe it's because I've already hurt my head, so I can't exert any force with my body. Now I just feel so tired and sleepy... Can I take a little nap?"

Seeing this, I quickly reminded her:

"Hey hey, don't fall asleep. Be careful, if you fall asleep now, you might not wake up again."

Luna quickly shook her head, trying to stay awake. After she regained some energy, she also began to worry about our current situation:

"But... what should we do now? Should we just continue lying here and wait for someone to rescue us?"

"Well... um..."

With her question, I was also at a loss, but I knew that no one would come to rescue us... After all, the entire village had been wiped out.

Now, all we could do was think about the next logical course of action. After pondering for a moment, I replied:

"Well, being so passive doesn't seem like a good idea, right? Anyway... let's start by pulling this spear out of our bodies, okay? It's really painful, and the blood just won't stop flowing because of it."

"Y-yeah... indeed... It seems quite awful to keep bleeding like this, we must stop it as soon as possible. But how should we... cough cough! Ugh..."

Mid-sentence, she suddenly coughed up a large amount of blood, then weakly collapsed. She trembled in pain, looking extremely uncomfortable.

I anxiously lifted her head and asked:

"W-what's... what's wrong!? Hang in there!"

Luna was in so much pain that she couldn't speak. She just shook her head first, indicating that she was okay. After a few seconds, she weakly whispered:

"I-I'm... fine... just felt something overflowed in my throat earlier, and choked a bit... didn't expect to cough up blood."

Seeing that she wasn't about to drop dead immediately, I breathed a sigh of relief. But then she asked me with a worried expression:

"Sis... is Luna going to die soon? If I die, can you use cake as an offering for me?"

"Stop being so pessimistic. It's just a bit of blood, nothing serious. Actually, when I first got up, I coughed up more blood than you did, so it seems like I'm more severely injured than you. If you die before me, I won't let you off the hook!"

Hearing me say that, she turned around and worried about me:

"Huh?! Really? Is Sis okay?!"

"I'm... fine... sort of! But it's inevitable. Our injuries are so severe that coughing up blood isn't surprising..."

With injuries like this, I wouldn't be surprised if either Luna or I suddenly died. In fact, it's rather strange that we're still alive. Every wound is fatal, so it's hard to understand why we're still clinging to life.

But setting aside common sense, our situation isn't actually that bad. We can still move our limbs and barely maintain consciousness... but how much longer we can hold on, I have no idea.

But instead of dwelling on these questions that have no answers, it's better to focus on how to free myself from this spear.

In terms of sequence, I should stand up first, and then let the spear pass completely through my body before pulling it out.

Initially, I thought about pulling the spear out from the floor to make it easier, but after about a minute of trying, I completely dismissed that idea. After all, if even those bandits couldn't pull out the spear and gave up, how could I, in my current condition, manage to pull it out? It would only increase my pain unnecessarily.

So, I slowly stood up along the spear and adjusted its angle with both hands.

During this process, my whole body continued to bleed from the wounds, coughing up blood incessantly, the fresh blood flowing down like a broken wet cloth.

I lost count of how many times I screamed in agony. It felt like self-infliction, knowing that it would bring excruciating pain, yet having to endure it. Several times, I thought I might die from the pain, but in the end, I didn't.

After completely freeing myself, I collapsed weakly beside her, the pain nearly making me faint. I lay there for a few minutes, waiting for the intensity of the pain to subside.

"Was it... very painful?" Luna looked at me with concern.

I nodded, pressing on my chest wound and speaking honestly, "Yeah... it was excruciating. I thought I wouldn't be able to endure until I freed myself from this spear... Now it's your turn. You can do it, and I'll help!"

I tried to encourage her, but Luna looked timidly at the spear in her chest.

"I... I think I'll pass. It seems like it would be very painful... Luna can't bear to pull it out."

Seeing her resorting to such avoidance, I immediately corrected her thinking:

"Don't act cute. Do you want to lie here for the rest of your life? Besides, even if we leave it like this, we'll still die."

"But... but... maybe someone will come to rescue us?" Luna was still struggling.

"No way. Everyone in the village is dead. No one will come no matter how long we lie here."

"Bu... but... if we're going to die anyway, then let Luna stay like this. I don't want to endure the pain again!"

"But the problem is we're still alive now. Let's talk about it if we die! It's better to endure a short-lived pain than a long one! Grit your teeth and bear with it!!"
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5