Chapter 00: Lies ♂♀
489 17 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aoki: We're having the event on Saturday, right?

Reiri: Yes... I forgot it was ending this week. Where shall we meet?

Aoki: Akihabara would be convenient. It would also make it easier for us to return by train.

Reiri: Oh, Akihabara sounds perfect to me... Although I'll be bundled up due to my cold.

Aoki: No problem. I'll wear a coat too. So, how about meeting at the station at seven?

Reiri: Sure, that sounds perfect. Oh, darn it...! I forgot I had a commitment with my sisters. Sorry, I have to leave right away.

Aoki: Alright, then we'll meet on Saturday, Rei-chan. Don't worry, I was about to turn off the console too.

System: Aoki has disconnected.

System: You have disconnected.

♨ Dungeon Valkyrie ♨

Although I steered the conversation away, so Aoki wouldn't mention the Valentine's event in Dungeon Valkyrie, I ended up accepting his invitation so as not to shatter his dream of obtaining the prestigious limited edition item.

In fact, I had intended to reject it so he wouldn't uncover the truth.

There's a very important reason for this. In fact, according to the backstory I invented for my character, I am Reiri Heyth, a charismatic sixteen-year-old foreign model from a wealthy family and popular within classes.

"Why on earth did I keep that lie up until today!?"

I shut off the computer, took off the virtual reality helmet, and focused my gaze on the mirror.

My appearance is undesirable when I don't wear a mask over my false self.

I have short, grayish hair with some untidy spikes lacking any style. My sky-blue eyes don't have any charm, and I wear circular glasses as a result of spending too much time on the computer.

Aside from that, my real name is Kiryu Reiya, so all of this was nothing more than a false identity.

"Yes, it's true. I am a big lie, I am a very deceitful girl, or should I say... I am a very deceitful guy."

With these words, I glimpsed my own reality and collapsed onto the pile of clothes scattered on my bed.

"Aaaah! What the heck is wrong with me?! Why did I choose a female character when I'm a guy?! Was it for the extra agility? No, of course not. Maybe because I have a guilty pleasure? No, absolutely not! I like girls and I've always wanted a girlfriend! So... why?! Why on earth did I do it?!"

It all happened a few years ago, when I joined Dungeon Valkyrie.

"A virtual reality game with a medieval style that allows the use of magic and swords, it also includes dungeon fights using a unique combat style, accustomed to player versus player encounters."

With the manual in my hands, I read the generic MMROPG part, but there was something different about this. Dungeon Valkyrie didn't just offer a medieval world in its category.

The game had a great character creation system, which allowed for the origin of a character's appearance based on thoughts.

Even if the user intended to create an attractive character, the system analyzed thoughts and produced the closest thing to the ideal character.

I was so interested in the appearance my character would have that I just grabbed my virtual reality helmet and entered the game without reading the final part of the recommendations.

[Dungeon Valkyrie]
[Think about what you most want].

Once I surpassed the login with my usual password, I accessed the creation menu with the instructions to think about what I desired most.

Since the questions focused on the appearance of the character, I tried to imagine some things that would make my character more masculine.

What I want most... What I want most... Does it refer to my feelings? Something or someone I like? Now that I think about it... How is she doing now? Is she still playing?

[First thought uploaded]

Huh? Didn't they add a waiting time between thoughts? This is a system flaw. The silly program just chose the first thing I thought of.

[Dungeon Valkyrie]

[Think about what you like the most].

Alright... Alright... I guess I can't fail twice. Since it's about my feelings now, I suppose my answer will be valid this time. In that case... I like girls, especially someone like her... Wait, wait... Why do I keep thinking about...?

[Second thought uploaded]

Well... I don't think this second attempt is a failure. After all, I like women, so there shouldn't be any problems.

[Dungeon Valkyrie]

[What nickname will you use?]

If I think about it... My characters are named Reitsu, maybe I should choose that... Although, maybe I could pick something that goes with Hitori... Why do I keep thinking about her?

[Reitsu] [Reiri] [Hitori]

[The name chosen is Reiri]

Wha-What? Why that name?! It just combined what I thought! It doesn't even sound masculine, it's a girl's name

[Keep your eyes closed]

When I heard the warning, the system started the process of implanting appearance and voice. I had to close my eyes as the game's instructions were heard.

[Dungeon Valkyrie]

[From now on, the program will create your character]

[Remember not to share your personal data]

[Data updated: Reiri]

[The base of your character has been generated]

[Classification: Assassin]

[Generated attire]

[Levels adjusted in the existing ranking of the first version]

[The character's voice has been implanted]

[The character's weapon has been incorporated]

[Dark Scythe of the Ace has been added]

[The character's gender has been set]

[Appearance created]

[Enjoy your stay in the game]

In the blink of an eye, the system generated my character in a vast snowy forest. There was no trace of other players, just kilometers of vegetation and a multitude of goblins approaching at great speed.

"Uh... It seems like the beginning is the same as the first version of the game. At least I didn't appear in the desert or at the end of the forest. I remember that's where the area boss is."

As I watched the path from which the goblins were coming, a crimson, black scythe appeared in front of me. This had been a reward for my achievements as one of the top rankings.

Then, a mirror the size of my character and a system notice appeared in front of me.

[This is your current appearance]

"What the heck?!"

As I looked at myself in the mirror, I was shocked by my worst fear.

"No, it can't be. It must be a joke... I know I thought about Hitori, but I didn't think I would turn into her."

 

6arWQn3.png

Although I tried to deny the reality with all my might, the system had granted me Hitori's appearance: my former gaming partner.

She and I had met in the first version of this game.

We had gotten married in the game for the benefits in missions. We also belonged to the top four players' ranking, gaining renown based on poker.

Reitsu - The Ace of Spades.
Hitori - The Ace of Hearts.

Although our friendship formed through the game, as a fundamental rule of any online game: we only knew the appearance of our characters.

And a few months before the new Dungeon Valkyrie servers were launched, we promised we would return to the ranking together.

However, Hitori never logged back in.

When she disappeared from the game, I searched for her whereabouts with our mutual friends, but her data vanished, and there was no way to contact her.

I finally gave up after months of trying.

"And now, because of this game, I have her character!"

As if that weren't enough, I had feelings for her, so this was too much for me.

Hitori's character was striking with her long reddish hair and beautiful crimson eyes. She had goat horns and wore a red dress with black ribbons, protected by pieces of light armor.

Even if I wanted to create another account, this one had bonuses for being one of the top players in the first version.

"Even this scythe is my prize for being the Ace of Spades, how could I discard it and pretend it never happened?!"

As I shooed away some bird creatures with my shouts, the problems that using a female character would bring came to my mind.

My name... my voice... even my appearance was that of a girl! How would I reclaim my position if I looked like this?! How would I explain to the members of the ranking that the game betrayed me and that I didn't choose Hitori's character for the extra agility?!

With anger, I grabbed the scythe and performed some basic attacks.

Although I had to face a crowd of goblins as a preliminary mission, I also had to get used to the movements.

"The grip feels good. The agility is good, the strength doesn't differ. The only thing I don't understand is the reverse jump."

As a new basic skill, the reverse jump was effective for dodging physical attacks from enemies, so I had to learn it as soon as possible.

With that, I propelled my legs and executed a reverse jump.

"So... my character's panties are... Ah, damn censorship!"

As I suspected, when I performed a reverse jump, the censoring light interrupted my view. But, if everything was like the first version, the reflection of the weapons could serve me.

"Alright, one more time."

I took a deep breath. I gained some altitude and executed a reverse jump while raising the scythe towards the sun, getting a dazzling view of what was restricted.

"T-They're... black?".

Leaving my curiosities about Hitori's character behind, her appearance would bring confusion with the other ranking members; so, I devised a plan, so people wouldn't discover that I was a fraud.

"If I have Hitori's appearance and act like I'm Hitori, there won't be any problems. I just have to imitate the way she speaks, how hard could that be?"

With that in mind, I tried to imitate Hitori's attitude. Her tone of voice was a mix of arrogance and seduction, as if others were mere pawns to defeat.

"So my first mission is to kill some goblins..."

For some strange reason, I felt a bit embarrassed inside my heart.

Maybe so...

Although my imitation was flawless, I had always wanted to hear something from Hitori, so I used her voice to recreate that scene with the mirror in front of me.

"Huh? So my silly husband Reitsu feels something for me? Hehe, that's so adorable in many ways... Maybe I could give him a chance if he tells me straight."

The imitation was so good that I blushed at hearing those words, even though they were mine.

"I love you, Reitsu."

Aaah! How is it possible that it affects me if it's me who's talking?!

Even with a embarrassed face, I noticed that the mirror broke from a stone that had been thrown.

I took a breath and looked around.

"I guess there's no time for that."

Seeing that I was surrounded by the goblins from my first mission, I grabbed my scythe and began the hunt.

"They don't make them like they used to."

When I took down the last one, a screen with my statistics appeared.

[Name - Reiri]
[Level - 3]
[Dark Scythe - Lvl 2] [Lvl up!]
[Attack - Lvl 3] [Lvl up!]
[Defense - Lvl 3]
[Flight - Lvl 1]
[Agility - Lvl 5] [Lvl up!]
[Magic - Lvl 1]

Reviewing the level increase, dexterity increased the scythe's base stats. That's not counting the extra agility I was granted for having a female character; I could move long distances in a matter of seconds.

"Aaaah! Help!".

As I checked the stats menu, a scream from the lower part of the forest echoed.

"Maybe another player?".

Since it was the first day of the game, the server was full of rookies. Perhaps if I took out a few, I could reach the ranking again.

With that idea in mind, I ran toward the source of the scream, where I found a player holding a wooden sword from the basic kit.

The newbie had blond hair and blue eyes.

His appearance had certain fine features, and he wore clothing typical of a prince. Similar to a predetermined character from an otome game.

"Gyaaaaaaaah! That monster's going to eat me, someone help...!"

As he said that, he was completely frozen.

His respawn played a nasty trick on him.

Since the newbie was in the restricted area, the area boss would kill him when he respawned.

The poor guy died wetting his pants, cut in two, used as food, beaten like compost, he even died crashing into a tree and tripping over his own wooden sword.

In all my time as an MMORPG gamer, I had never encountered someone who died so many times against the newbie area boss.

With so many deaths, it was certain he was the worst player I had ever seen in my life.

"Aaaahh! Someone help me! I've been here for hours, I don't want to die again!"

This time, the newbie took refuge at the top of a tree while the area boss tried to knock him down.

Indeed, although the newbie area boss was classified as a monster by the game, it didn't really have a terrifying appearance.

After all, Ileisem, the giant snow cat, was the boss of the forbidden forest.

Its appearance was like that of a Siamese cat with gray stripes.

"Please, don't hurt me..."

Seeing the newbie, I felt pity, so I decided to help him.

And when the tree was about to fall, I jumped from the bush where I was hiding and grabbed the kid, pulling him to another tree.

"Hey, blondie kid! Why are you fighting the area boss if you don't even have a level two weapon yet?"

The guy stuttered.

"I-I'm sorry, it's my first game. I-I don't know much about this, I was just looking for my friend and that cat won't stop chasing me."

"But didn't you read the notices in the forest?"

As I said this, a snow opening formed under us.

Ileisem had used the propulsion tunnel. This ability allowed it to burrow underground and jump swiftly, freezing the players above the opening.

I jumped before it caught us.

"Do you have any weapons?" I asked.

The newbie searched his pockets, but all he had was a wooden ladle in his inventory.

"Will this do?"

"Ah, yes... Of course it will, do you also have a pot, a spoon, or a fork?! Maybe you can make a stew in exchange for your freedom."

With his response, I decided to ignore him. How on earth did they expect to face an area boss with a kitchen kit?

Anyway, I had a higher level and knew Ileisem's weaknesses.

The forest boss was agile on the ground, but when it performed an attack, it tended to rise into the air. That exposed the lower part of its body, where the cross indicating its heart was located.

I just had to wait for its next move and counterattack with my scythe's special attack.

"Meoooow!"

When Ileisem leaped toward me, one of its claws hit my leg, so I took advantage of its carelessness and slid under it.

"It's over."

With all my strength, I visualized Ileisem's critical points and reactivated my agility, then I slid my scythe and made a double cut that split its heart's cross in two.

As it fell with its legs frozen, I managed to hold onto the tip of my scythe, landing on the ground.

[Level Completed!]

At that precise moment, the victory screen appeared, canceling Ileisem's freezing spell.

[Name - Reiri]
[Level - 4] [Lvl up!]
[Status]
[Dark Scythe - Lvl 3] [Lvl up!]
[Attack - Lvl 3] [Lvl up!]
[Defense - Lvl 4] [Lvl up!]
[Flight - Lvl 2] [Lvl up!]
[Agility - Lvl 6] [Lvl up!]
[Magic - Lvl 1]
[Item Bonus: Frozen Cat Hat]

As I observed my new bonuses, the newbie approached.

"Thank you so much. I thought I was going to die again."

"Oh, I forgot... How many times have you died so far?"

The newbie remained silent, counting on his fingers.

His face turned as red as a tomato.

"Ninety-seven times..."

Ninety-seven times? Seriously? What kind of player dies ninety-seven times on this level?

Although I wanted to ask him more about how he got to the end of the map, the newbie continued.

"Um... What's your name? I'm Aoki."

"Ah... My name is Reiya."

"Reiya...? Isn't that a boy's name?"

Crap... I almost said my name. I must remember that I'm a girl in the game.

"I misspoke. I said Reiya, my name is Reiri."

"I see, Reiri. Thank you so much for saving me. By the way, could you help me? I want to meet up with my friend, but I can't find the lobby."

When he said that, his eyes sparkled. With that, it was certain he would die a thousand times again before realizing that we all have a map in our inventory.

"Oh, of course I can help you. I was about to head there after finishing the tutorial."

If only I had known he would add me after that, and that we would become best friends, I would have told him from the beginning that I was a man with a woman's account.

That way, I would have avoided this stupid problem, but now that two years have passed, I can't go back and let our friendship continue like this.

"Well, tomorrow I'll tell him the truth! Aoki must know that I'm actually a man!"

 
 
 

 

8