Matchmaker
111 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your grace, a pleasant welcome to my store, this is quite unexpected.”

 

The store owner, as well as Gael’s cousin, Madison Faye Yumera, daughter of the baron greeted me with her perpetual smile. 

 

“Drop the formality, anyway I'm here to get my daughter her measurements, as well as for her.”

 

I looked back to Lianelle who was obviously flustered and wanted to reject my offer, immediately shaking her head. Eliza was currently in her embrace.

 

“Lianelle, dear!” Madison shoved me out of her way and happily hugged her cousin as well as my daughter. “You must be Eliza, oh dear, you are such a cutie!”

 

“All of her clothes were bought on the spot, can we proceed with taking my daughter’s measurements now, Madison?” I said, reminding her of my business here. Besides that, I have an appointment to catch. 

 

Time check. 7:25 am. Plenty of time if I say so myself, however I like being punctual.

 

Lianelle and I sat down at the corner where the employees also gave us some refreshments. I grabbed the newspaper lying below the table and started reading the morning news. I’ve come to like reading this thing, funny how I hate even touching this back in my previous words, yet this now has become one of my favorite sources of entertainment. Maybe because the contents are not that similar to the one back in my world. Its contents are rather unserious and very much random. Such as today, one of its contents are <Ten facts you should know about the empress:WILD>, or <Southern Duke suddenly introduces a Fiancée out of nowhere: A marriage only in paper?>--- well I guess today's featured news are quite interesting. 

 

“Um, your grace—”

 

“No.”

 

“Eh?” 

 

I put down the newspaper and glanced over to her. “You’re going to reject my offer of getting your measurements, aren’t you? No.” I repeated, firmly.

 

“But You grace, it's too much. . .” She trailed, her cheeks turning into a rosy color. “People might take your gestures the wrong way.”

 

I stared at her. Gossips happen, it isn’t new to me. I was once in the headlights when Gael and Aveline got married. It isn’t what you think, rather the news pointing out me having feelings for Aveline, it was with Gael. Oh the headache I got from that news, the reporters did not stop bothering me for days. It was horrendous. It all started with a photo of me in their wedding who allegedly looked hurt. There were different perspectives of that photo, all connecting to me looking longingly to Gael. 

 

That’s just my face, for Pete's sake. Though I am grateful it did not go in the other direction. Me liking Aveline allegations are much more scandalous. 

 

“Your grace?”

 

“!”

 

“You spaced out.”

 

“Oh I’m sorry, what were you saying again?”

 

When I asked, Lianelle just looked at me then gave me a small smile and uttered ‘Nothing, your grace, forget it.’

 

When I was about to respond a cherry voice came. 

 

“Mister, I’m done!” a grinning Eliza came back, “I think I grew a centimeter!”

 

The fitting seemed to have taken about 20 minutes. It's almost eight am, I can’t be bothered to be late. 

 

“Say Eliza, why don’t you call this guy papa?” Madison came and asked, her face showing a genuine curiosity.

 

“It’s fine, she’ll call me that when she feels comfortable.” I remarked. A child shouldn’t be forced to say things she is uncomfortable with. 

 

“He’s not a papa yet, that is why I don’t call him papa!” Eliza responded back with a smile.

 

“Not a papa yet? But you’re now his daughter therefore he is already a papa.” Madison crouched down to level with Eliza. 

 

“It’s  because I don’t have a mama yet.”

 

. . .This child, I see. She really is longing for a mother's presence. I guess Gael was right.

 

Somehow my gaze panned over to Lianelle who was showing concern about Eliza’s comment. Soon she looked at me, worried, most probably looking at how I reacted.

 

Our gazes locked unto each other for a moment, We aren't so far apart as we sat on a long couch. Looking at her, her eyes really are similar to Gael, yet it has this certain captive and charm. It was mesmerizing. It is as if I am being sucked into them. 

 

“Then, how about I be your mama?”

 

My thoughts were pricked when I heard Madison's ridiculous statement. Um, what?

 

Madison stood up and looked at me with a smile. “I am your unlucky date today, surprised?”

 

. . .

 

She’s what?!

4