XI | THE FAIRY
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

XI | THE FAIRY

Qilinria, a land divided into three provinces: Qilina, Qilini, and Qilino.

The Mortal Heart sect held sway over Qilina Province. The influential city of Un-Tro, Arkan Republic, found its place in Qilini Province.

On this damp midday, the prairie bathed in hues of orange witnessed the arrival of four figures on horseback, one a wolf and the other a flying serpent.

Aegis, leading the group, rode atop a majestic white pegasus. To his left was Li Xin riding his usual flying serpent, and to his right was Yuhong on horseback.

“So, senior brother, the matter with my hair and eyes has likely to do with a divine wielder,” Yuhong speculated, engaging Aegis.

“Yeah, probably…” Aegis replied, his words riding the wind.

Meanwhile, Jun Zhou, perched on a wolf, exchanged heated words with Iron Mountain. The latter, bereft of beer and visibly disgruntled, seemed to be venting his complaints while yearning for a taste of the beloved beverage.

Jun Zhou, shot with a smirk. “Weak. What’s a little drink? I don’t need such desires!”

“Bullshit! Who the hell are you to tell me what to do?! I want my damn beer!”

Jun Zhou chuckled, shaking his head. “You damn crazy bastard.”

Iron Mountain, undeterred, puffed up his chest. "Who you calling crazy? You’re the crazy one!” His brown steed snorted and shifted its weight.

Jun Zhou’s amusement faded, replaced by a touch of exasperation. “Why the hell are we even arguing about a goddamn drink?”

Iron Mountain’s face contorted in mock horror. “Cause I wanna drink, stupid! What else is there to live for?”

Jun Zhou rolled his eyes. “Yeah, well, do I look like I have unlimited beer strapped to my back?”

A stern voice cut through their bickering. “Jun Zhou! Iron Mountain!” Uncle Zhang rode up beside them with his steed. “Enough with the noise. We’re approaching the village.”

The riders crested a rise, revealing a quaint village nestled amidst the flat lands.

Unlike most settlements, this one stood proudly without the need for walls or fortifications. An air of serenity hung in the air, broken only by the rhythmic hammering from a nearby forge.

As they drew closer towards the archway, they noticed figures moving about – not soldiers clad in steel, but individuals dressed in simple brown leather garb and robes. Some tended to small gardens, their calloused hands coaxing life from the fertile soil. Others sat beneath open-air workshops, shaping wood with practiced ease. The scent of sawdust and sweat mingled with the sweet aroma of baking bread.

Aegis, dismounted and approached a group working on a sturdy wooden cart. The disciples, upon noticing their arrival, greeted them with warm smiles and curious glances.

One man, with a shaved head and a thick, dark beard and brown robes, approached them.

“Ah, greetings!” the man beamed, and gave Aegis a hearty bow. “Welcome to our humble village, friends. My name is Bao, and I’m one of the elders here. How can we help you today?”

“Greetings, Elder Bao,” Aegis returned the greeting. “This junior is Aegis, and these are my companions.”

“A foreign name,” Bao said, with a nod. “We welcome you, regardless of your background.”

“We were just passing and thought we would stop by,” Aegis responded.

Iron Mountain’s eyes widened as he spotted a row of barrels. “Are those... beer barrels?” he and his steed rushed towards the containers, only to be met with a disappointed groan. “Empty. Damnit, they don’t have any drinks.”

Elder Bao shook his head and chuckled. “No, unfortunately, we don’t have much to offer in the way of alcohol.”

Iron Mountain scowled and threw up his hands. “Noooooooo!”

Jun Zhou, a hint of a smirk dancing across his lips. “Oh, stop complaining, you big baby,” he scoffed.

“Bah! What the hell do you know?” Iron Mountain snapped, jabbing a finger at Jun Zhou’s chest. “You don’t have any idea how it feels to be denied the sweet nectar of the gods.”

“It’s just a damn drink,” Jun Zhou retorted.

Iron Mountain’s expression grew dark, and his nostrils flared. “Just a drink? JUST A DRINK?! You have no idea, you arrogant bastard. Beer is sacred, and without it, life is meaningless.”

“Shut up.”

“Sister Mi,” one of the female disciples who was working on a pottery wheel, commented, “Sister Mi, look, even with that blindfold on, he’s a very pretty face.” Another female disciple who was working a loom nodded in agreement. “Mhm, he is. Even though he’s blind, he has a strong aura at such a young age.”

Aegis coughed lightly.

Elder Bao, visibly flustered, apologized profusely. “I am sorry about their behavior. We are currently educating a group of young disciples in basic craftsmanship before moving onto the next stage of their training.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Aegis responded.

“Please, make yourselves comfortable. Feel free to rest and replenish your supplies,” Bao offered.

“Thank you, Elder Bao. That’s very kind," Yuhong added.

Li Xin, having been listening to their conversation, turned to face them. “Sorry to interrupt, but I’ll be back in a while.” He sought out meat to nourish his mount.

“Oh? Brother Li, where are you headed?” Aegis asked.

“Well, I was planning on heading towards the mountains. There’s a large forest there where I can hunt for animals,” Li Xin explained.

A few hours later, Snow lay beside Aegis who found himself standing on a wooden stool with a pair of scissors and a carrot in hand. On his right, a bucket of muddied water and many sacks of dirty carrots lay, along with the distant cries of pigs.

Iron Mountain, who was nearby, attempting (and failing) to barter a barrel of water for a single sip of beer.

Aegis seethed with regret, cursing himself for handing over that fortune to the useless old man.

“Senior Brother, I’ve always wondered why carrots are so delicious,” Yuhong mused.

Aegis spun slightly at the sound, his gaze snagging on the vibrant figure framed by the way. Dressed in a flowing rose pink-crimson and russet, qixiong ruqun hanfu cascading, was a magnificent sight. Long, black hair tumbled down her back like a midnight waterfall, and her eyes, the color of a deep blue sky after a cleansing rain, sparkled with amusement. A smile, tinged with mischief, played on her rosy lips, revealing a slight bunny tooth that made her cuter.

Yuhong blushed, a delightful shade of pink dusting her cheeks. “What? Do I have something on my face?” gently pinching his back.

Aegis smiled and shook his head. “Nothing at all.”

“Well then, senior brother,” Yuhong paused, her lips quirking up, “if it’s not on my face, maybe it’s somewhere else…” She trailed off, her hands skimming the ample curve of her bosom.

Aegis felt his mouth go dry, his eyes drawn to the way her hands lingered, and he had the sudden, absurd desire to kiss her.

He coughed and tore his gaze away.

“What are these pigs? What the hell is wrong with them?” he muttered, washing a bunch of carrots into the muddied wooden bucket of water.

Yuhong chuckled.

“I have to cut these damn things with a pair of scissors,” Aegis complained. “How hard is it to just take a bite?”

“Well, it is a bit weird,” Yuhong admitted, sitting beneath a nearby tree.

Aegis sighed, his shoulders slumping.

Green and brown scales shimmered in the dappled sunlight, catching the glint of dew clinging to leaves. Naxo, the winged wyrm, stretched, fleshy wings, before slithering gracefully across moss-covered branches. Emerald eyes scanned the forest floor, sharp as the thorns tangled beneath.

Suddenly, Naxo froze. A twitch, a rustle—a plump rabbit, completely unaware of the hungry gaze upon it. In a flash, Naxo launched, a blur of green and brown. The rabbit didn’t stand a chance.

Li Xin, perched on a nearby branch, whistled softly. Naxo slithered back, nuzzling his hand with a rumbling purr that vibrated through the boy. “Good job, buddy,” Li Xin whispered, scratching behind one of the wyrm’s horns.

But something was wrong. The usual symphony of the forest—buzzing insects, chirping birds—had fallen silent. An unsettling hush hung heavy in the air. Li Xin frowned, his hand instinctively reaching for the hilt of his sword. Naxo, sensing his unease, mirrored the gesture, coiling around his leg with a low hiss.

There! There was a flicker of movement in the dense undergrowth. Li Xin and Naxo exchanged a silent look, then burst into action. They chased, leaping over rocks and splashing through streams, the forest floor a blur beneath their feet.

The rustling figure burst from the trees, bounding towards a group of armed hunters. “It’s a Pig Fairy!” one bellowed, brandishing a spear. “Get it!”

But before they could react, a figure materialized from the shadows, a flash of wood sending weapons clattering. Li Xin stood tall, and Naxo coiled protectively around his leg. The hunters lay sprawled, unconscious.

The chase continued deeper into the woods until they finally cornered their quarry beside a moss-covered pond. It was a pig, unlike any Li Xin had ever seen. Its fur was an impossible shade of blue, long and coarse, and its eyes shone with intelligence.

Li Xin cautiously lowered his sword, his palms outstretched. “Easy there,” he soothed, his voice below a hush. The pig, sensing no threat, relaxed its tense posture.

Li Xin knelt, offering a handful of berries he’d gathered earlier. The pig sniffed cautiously, then nudged the offering with its snout.

Li Xin and Naxo, found themselves face-to-face with a curious creature. It had the form of a pig, but its fur shimmered with an unusual blue hue. As Li Xin cautiously offered a berry, the creature snatched it up and spoke!

“Hmm, not bad for a simple offering," the pig declared, its voice surprisingly refined. “But do you have more? This great one requires more!”

Li Xin blinked, surprised. He’d never met a talking pig before, let alone one so… demanding. Naxo, sensing his bewilderment, coiled closer, its emerald eyes narrowed.

Undeterred, the pig fairy continued, “Don’t just stand there, mortal! Fetch more of these delectable treats!”

Li Xin, unsure what else to do, gathered more berries. The pig fairy gobbled them up with gusto, its blue fur shimmering even brighter.

“That’s better,” he grunted, a hint of satisfaction in his voice. “Now, tell me, little one, who are you in the presence of such greatness?”

Li Xin, still trying to process the encounter, stammered, “Uh, I’m Li Xin. And you are…?”

“The Magnificent Esmeralda Fairy!" the pig fairy declared, puffing out its chest. “But you can simply call me Esme.”

Li Xin and Naxo had stumbled upon quite the unexpected being—a winged talking pig named Esme who claimed to be a Fairy! Esme, with her blue fur and surprisingly refined vocabulary, demanded treats and belly rubs in equal measure.

Li Xin, gathered berries for the hungry fairy. As he did, he couldn’t help but wonder, “Esme, how can you talk like us humans? How can you talk in our minds?”

Esme puffed out her chest. “Why, I know all the languages! Of course, a being as magnificent as Esme can talk!”

After a satisfying snack and some tummy pats, Li Xin decided it was time to head home. He offered Esme a ride on Naxo’s back, and the trio soared through the trees.

Back in the village, they encountered a crying child clutching their cheek, clearly in pain. Li Xin, rushed over to see if he could help. Nearby, they saw Iron Mountain, kneeling with his steed. He held a barrel of water, looking distinctly green around the gills.

“Senior Iron Mountain!” Li Xin greeted with a wave. “What seems to be the trouble?”

Iron Mountain turned and pointed a shaky finger at Esme. “That… that creature! It looks…well, let’s just say not very pleasant,” he said, pinching his nose.

Esme immediately puffed up her fur. “How dare you! I, the magnificent Esme, am a very pleasant being!”

Li Xin chuckled nervously, caught between the two bickering parties. He knew Esme had a… stench, but Iron Mountain’s reaction was a bit much.

“Senior,” Li Xin began cautiously, “where is brother Aegis and the others?”

“Uhh, brother Aegis is there,” he pointed, “right there on that street," Iron Mountain said.

Li Xin and Esme, the blue-furred, talking pig, continued their journey through the village. As they approached a wooden street, Li Xin spotted Aegis scissoring carrots one after another.

“Hey, brother Aegis!” Li Xin called out, waving. He noticed Aegis wasn’t alone. Staring at him was Yuhong.

“Guess what I found?” Li Xin announced, gesturing towards Esme. The pig, never one to miss an opportunity to be the center of attention, puffed up her chest.

“Huh,” Aegis grunted, his usual stoic demeanor unfazed. Snow, his pegasus companion, tilted its head curiously at the strange blue pig.

Yuhong, however, was more intrigued. “Brother Li, what is that?” she asked, her eyes widening. The nearby pigs, sensing something unusual, had already scurried away.

“This great one is Esme!” Esme declared proudly. “A Fairy!”

“A talking pig?” Aegis raised an eyebrow, finally showing a flicker of surprise. “That’s new.”

Esme, unimpressed, snorted.

Aegis, with a mischievous grin, grabbed Esme from Li Xin, pinching his nose at the same time. “Hehehe.”

“Senior Brother…” Yuhong started, unsure of what to say.

Li Xin, still surprised by Aegis’ sudden action, stammered, “Huh?”

Ignoring them both, Aegis continued, “Tell these pigs to eat all these carrots right now!” He held up a sack full of vegetables.

Esme, despite the discomfort of being held by the nose, huffed in defiance. “Who do you think you are, ordering me around? I am Esme, the Great Fairy!”

Unfazed, Aegis tightened his grip. “Hehe, I don’t care. Do it!”

Esme, perhaps sensing the seriousness in his voice, conceded with a gulp. “Fine! Pigs! Eat those carrots now!” she commanded, her voice echoing through the street.

The pigs, as if understanding her words, immediately trotted towards the carrots and began munching with gusto. Snow watched the scene with amusement, her eyes blinking curiously.

Aegis, released Esme back to Li Xin, then turned and shouted across the street.

“Elder Zao! I’m done feeding the pigs!” he announced, his voice carrying through the air. He then dashed towards a wooden courtyard hidden among the bushes.

Li Xin, still processing what just happened, looked down at Esme. “Well, that was…”

0