Fears of Existence
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A groan echoed as Kaiden found himself in the muddy substance for several minutes.

Blackness surrounded him, quite literally.

Kaiden couldn't see or hear anything, futilely attempting to move his limbs against the overwhelming pressure.

Oxygen deprivation began to take its toll on Kaiden.

Progress seemed minimal, mere centimeters gained.

'How long have I been in this black void? 5 minutes?'

In vain, he continued trying to move as the viscous substance advanced through his mouth, down his throat, and into his lungs.

It burned, disturbing, yet oddly relieving as if there might be salvation.

No one could help him;

they were likely in similar predicaments. At least most of them.

But Kaiden wasn't ready to die just yet; he resisted. The once soothing substance now burned in his lungs, feeling like a mountain crushing him, rendering him powerless.

Unable to move even a micrometer, he glimpsed darker darkness and a hint of abstract energy.

Death?

It seemed eager to take him, having attempted twice before.

This time, it wouldn't be for him. Today, his life was ending. Kaiden, seemingly weightless in the substance like a lost child, saw no way out.

With bloodshot eyes and extreme tension visible across his body, he concentrated on one thing – Death, the scythe drawing nearer.

Initially, he wanted to deny it, as giving in would mean total loss. Yet, it seemed the only option now. With the scythe at his already tensed and artery-filled neck, he made a swift swing.

However, the soul's connection with the spiritual scythe did not occur. Kaiden's body pulled it back, and he seemed to catch a breath.

The strange substance still lingered in his lungs. 'It worked! But I should've manipulated oxygen sooner!' Angry at himself, he had to look forward now, giving his all, as he had no more negative karma points.

'Damn, please, a way out,' he screamed in his inner thoughts.

Time passed too quickly, and breathlessness pressed on.

Kaiden knew he had to supply oxygen to himself, yet fear gripped him. He previously had negative karma points, now neutralized.

However, they would turn positive, and he would lose his memories. A normal person, not in such a dire situation, would likely use their ability countless times since they were just memories. But Kaiden realized that with each karma point, he erased his present self, and he wouldn't exist until these were balanced.

If he lost his memories now, he would exist in life overall, but the Kaiden currently living would be gone.

The fear was too great; he could cease to exist.

However, after futile attempts and burning sensations, he had to do it again. Death, waiting patiently in the darkness beside him, sat down, knowing it might take a while.

He felt a burn, almost gasping for air. But soon, he realized something was wrong.

He was just with the other five in the room.

Why was he now in what seemed like a black void?

Intolerable pain twisted him as he tried desperately to move.

It felt like going against a river's current.

'Impossible!'

Gradually, he realized he had to do something. He didn't have much time.

It burned.

It kept burning.

The pain persisted.

Time flew, and with the notification,

[35 Karma points]

something strange occurred.

[Hidden quest: Manipulate a specific molecule frequently in a dire situation]

[Successfully completed…]

[Manipulation of oxygen improved/XP until the next level received (70XP)/-10 Karma Points]

[Level 2]

[New Molecule Manipulation: Nitrogen]

[XP: 0/100]

[25 Karma Points]

Painful memories flooded back, causing more burning and agony.

'A hidden quest?'

'What is this?'

Questions flooded his mind, but time passed too quickly.

Even though he forgot his memories again, he suddenly felt significantly stronger, advancing more effortlessly through the previously impenetrable substance.

He felt like a new person, despite the burning in his chest.

Something brighter, even if faint, appeared on Kaiden's hands.

They pierced the white-grayish substance, moving slightly, devoid of emotions, seeking stability. Followed by his forearms, then his upper and lower body.

The death seemed upset, took his scythe, which stood nearby, in hand, and vanished.

A sequence of dark crimson red fluid and vomit followed, and he knelt down.

'What was that?'

'It felt like half an eternity.'

Kaiden remained confused but quickly surveyed the area in panic.

'Who was responsible for this?'

Kaiden wanted to know and make them pay;

he almost died.

Shielding his eyes from the blinding light, he looked at the ground.

'We were just in Professor Williams class.'

Kaiden could only grasp half of things.

Dizziness and nausea overwhelmed him, and he briefly collapsed.

Leaning against the solid cave-like wall, he stood there hunched.

'A short break…'

With a shake of his head and gradually improving lungs, still burning and scratching, he stood up again.

'Am I more energetic because the oxygen is purer and better?'

Kaiden was in a haze.

Although he was conscious, he couldn't think clearly.

His legs seemed to move forward automatically with powerful strides.

'Another person?'

'That filthy wench!'

Unaware of what he was doing, fueled by anger and a thirst for revenge for his pain, he saw a girl and charged at her.

Fist for fist.

The girl lay on the ground, slowly being engulfed by the substance, her arms crossed over her upper body.

Smoke impulsively shot out, blinding Kaiden.

"Argh!"

Insults poured out endlessly.

'What was that?' Kaiden thought.

'This wench must pay!'

After rubbing his gooey hands over his reddened and bloodshot eyes, he looked at her.

'A red-haired girl, or no, everything is red.'

Kaiden's eyes were severely injured, yet they no longer held him back.

"Help me, guys!" the girl shouted in a certain direction.

Kaiden was surrounded by five people, with no view of escape.

Who needed it when victory was easily achievable.

0