Chapter 4: Farewell Part I
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reed was smiling as he looked at the sky. Branches of trees were blocking most of the sun's rays. He was smiling, but Ava had an angry look on her face.

Ava was driving the bike while Reed was standing at the back."You are so unromantic!"

"What are you saying? You might not be able to bear standing for a long time, so I chose to stand instead."

"Idiot Reed!" thought Ava, then she suddenly swung the bike to the side, causing Reed to almost fall.

"Hey! Hey! What are you doing?!"

Ava was smiling as she swung the bike again.

"Hey!"

Ava giggled.

After a week, Ruth returned to their home. She was talking with Dylan in the kitchen. "If we can replace one, replacing another should not be too difficult."

Dylan nodded his head.

"Replace what?" asked Reed when he entered the house.

"Just old objects," said Dylan with a smile."Come here, we have to tell you something."

"What is it?"

Ruth held Reed's hand."We have to live near the city. Your father will join the company where I work."

"What?!"

Dylan looked at Reed with an apologetic face."We know what Woodville means to you."

He put his hand on Reed's shoulder."You know how much we care about you and your brother. We won't choose to do it if it isn't for everyone's sake. You understand that, right?"

Reed had a sad look on his face. "I don't understand why you say it's for everyone's sake, but I know you are thinking about us."

Ruth hugged Reed."You will understand later."

An hour later, Reed was sitting on a branch seven meters above a flowing river. He was blankly watching the clouds.

Ava walked on the branch with ease and sat beside Reed, then smiled."Hey.'

Reed looked at her and also smiled."Hey."

"What are you thinking so deeply?"

Reed turned silent for a moment as he looked at the clouds."We have to leave Woodville and move near the city."

Both of them turned silent.

"It's not like you'll never return to Woodville. Your mother can even return once a week sometimes."

Reed brightly smiled."You are right."

"Hey, I also have news for you."

"What is it?"

"I might have a stepfather soon."

"What?!"

"We were also shocked. Mom had been hiding it from us. A man named Karter had been courting her."

"Did you meet him?"

"Yeah, he seems to be a good man."

They both looked at the clouds.

"We didn't see them coming."

"Yeah."

The next weekend, they were sitting on a huge white stone while fishing in a river.

"Do you want to have a swim or try saint dive in the waterfall?" asked Reed.

Ava shook her head. Her mood seemed to be low.

Reed looked at the blank face of Ava."Are you still thinking of the scholarship? Mom said it's not that we are not fit. The students were already selected before the screening began. It was just a show. Parents with connections have already pushed their children. Only one or two underprivileged children will luckily be included, so they could be advertised in the media. With your brain, it should not be a problem to get a scholarship in college."

"I'm not thinking about that," said Ava while staring at the river.

"Then what are you thinking about?"

Ava looked at Reed."I'm not going to tell you."

"What?!"

Ava looked at the sky."What will you feel if you think you are different? Different from ordinary people?"

Reed stared at Ava, then he also looked at the sky."It's fine to be different. You are still you. You feel sad, happy, angry. Is being different prevents you from acting like others? Maybe being different is even better. At least for me, being different can help me do what I want to do."

Ava smiled and looked at Reed, then her tummy made a hungry sound.

"I'm not hungry," said Ava when Reed looked at her.

"Then is that a fart?"

"Do you want to become bait for the fish?"

Reed chuckled."Wait here. I will take the food from the bike. Hold my fishing rod."

Reed stood up. He stepped on his right foot, then jumped. He flexibly jumped on big stones and landed safely on the ground. He took the food from the bike, then heard a splash of water. He looked behind him, and Ava was no longer at the top of the stone."Ava! Are you okay?!"

"I-Im fine."

Reed quickly went back to the huge stone. He saw Ava without a shirt. Only her head could be seen, and her arms were blocking her chest. "I thought you were not in the mood to swim. Where is your shirt?"

"I suddenly had the urge to swim, but a piece of wood was floating in the river, and my shirt got hooked on the branch, so I had to take it off. Hey, give me your shirt."

"Damn wood!" cursed Reed as he took off his shirt, but he was laughing inside.

Ava caught the shirt and stared at Reed."Turn around!"

"What do you think of me? I was just watching out for you in case a wood suddenly appeared again."

"Turn around!"

"Tsk!" Reed turned around, but he suddenly looked back."Do you need help?"

"Idiot! Don't look back!"

Water was thrown toward Reed, causing him to laugh.

Ava swam to the edge of the river, and Reed pulled her out.

"Hmm? What's that?" asked Reed when he saw something like a burnt cloth on a stone in the river.

"It's probably trash thrown by someone."

"That guy has to be taught a lesson. How can he tarnish the nature in Woodville?!"

"How will you teach that person?"

"I will make that person become bait for the fish."

Ava chuckled, then she suddenly pushed Reed, causing him to almost fall from the stone. She flexibly jumped on stones and landed on the ground.

Reed stared at Ava.

"What are you staring at?"

"When did you become so flexible?"

Ava smiled."You think you are the only one who can do it? Don't forget, I'm a Woodville girl."

Reed went home and saw his father conditioning their pickup truck. He felt happy."Are we going to bring it with us?"

Dylan shook his head."There is only one garage in our house there. We have to use your mom's car because we have to travel often. The truck could give in while traveling, so we have to leave it here."

Reed looked sad."It accompanied us for so long."

Dylan smiled as he rubbed the car."You are right. He isn't just a car. He is family, so I gave him a name, Terry. If we want him to stay longer, we have to keep him here. But before we leave, we'll take him on a trip and leave a good memory."

The next day, the Maxwell family went on a trip.

There was music playing as Dylan, wearing sunglasses, drove their car. There were strong blows of wind as the car ran on a mountain road. The Maxwell family was enjoying the music while watching the scene.

They stopped on a roadside. Wenston was sitting on Dylan's shoulder, and Ruth was hugging Reed's arm as they looked at the scene below the mountain road. Birds were flying above the small hills and wide forest. Then they went on rolling hills. Dylan and Reed were standing on top of a hill while holding boards.

"Ready?" asked Dylan.

Reed nodded his head.

They put the board on their feet, then quickly slid down the slope. They put their weight on the back of their board, then jumped. They spun in mid-air and slapped each other's palms. They landed safely on the ground and chuckled. They kicked their boards and caught them as they rolled in the air.

Ruth approached them while holding Wenston's hand."You are teaching your son many reckless things."

Dylan smiled as he rubbed Reed's head."It will be too hard for his age to bear the training if it won't involve a play. Those plays will be reckless for normal kids, but not for him."

Then he saw Wenston's eyes staring at the board. Dylan chuckled. A few moments later, he was standing on top of the hill while carrying Wenston on his back. There was a board on his feet."Ready?"

Wenston nodded his head. His eyes were shining.

The next Saturday, it was time for the Maxwell family to leave Woodville.

Reed and Ava were silent. They were not sure what they wanted to say to each other.

Dylan was walking to their car. He chuckled when he saw the two kids. He suddenly kicked Reed's butt.

Ava was awkwardly hugging Reed, who was pushed toward her.

"T-Take care," said Ava as she awkwardly patted Reed's back.

"Y-You too," said Reed as he also patted Ava's back.

Ruth shook her head while she was sitting in the front seat."You interrupted the moment for the kids."

Dylan chuckled as he entered the car. "I was just giving the kid a push. He was not backing off when it came to hard training and fighting, but I didn't think that he was a big coward when it came to that kind of matter."

Ruth chuckled when she heard Dylan. There was a teasing look on her face."Are you courageous when it comes to that kind of matter?"

Dylan chuckled."Hey, I thought I did not have time for that, so I did not make advances."

Ruth smiled while moving closer to Dylan."Really?"

"What are you two talking about?" asked Reed when he entered the car.

Ruth looked at her son."Don't feel down. Your father was also a coward."

"What?!" Ryan looked at his father.

"Do you believe your mom or me?"

"I believe, mom."

"Damn kid, I will teach you a lesson later."

0