Chapter 6: A Ride with Memory
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It's been four years," thought Reed as he stared at the woods, then he went back to their house. He walked into the garage at the back of their house. He removed the cover and looked at the old yellow pickup truck. He rubbed the truck as he remembered the trips made by their family. He smiled, and his eyes couldn't help but turn teary."You contained a lot of good memories. I'm sorry, Terry, that we left you alone here."

He tried to turn on the car a few times, but it failed. He opened the hood and observed the engine. He identified the problem and started fixing it.

A few hours later,he walked inside the house. There was still oil on his clothes. He saw Wenston approaching while holding a plate of toast bread.

"Brother, dinner," said Wenston as he gave the plate to Reed.

Reed smiled as he picked up the bread and rubbed Wenston's head. "Change your clothes. We'll go to the grocery store later."

Wesnton nodded his head.

After taking a bath, they rode the pickup truck.

As the old car ran on the dirt road, old music was playing on the radio as Reed stretched his left hand out of the window. Wenston's head was leaning on the car's window as he watched the woods.

The car arrived near Taylor's two-story house.

Reed slowed down his car when he saw Ava and her sister walking on the roadside with their dog.

Ava stopped walking because she recognized the approaching car.

Reed stopped the car near them.

Ava smiled. "I knew it's you."

Reed also smiled and looked at Macy."Hi Macy, do you remember me?"

Macy nodded her head."You're the troublemaker."

Reed and Ava laughed.

"Where are you going?" asked Ava.

"We are going to the grocery store. Do you want to come?"

"Can we really come?"

Reed nodded his head.

Ava smiled as she held her sister's hand, but Macy pulled her hand away.

"Who said I wanted to come?" said Macy.

Ava showed an awkward smile to Reed, then she looked at her sister and gave eye signals.

Macy crossed her arms as she looked at her sister.

Ava awkwardly laughed, then she moved closer to her sister."Macy, don't you want a box of your favorite waffle?"

Macy raised her hand and raised two fingers."Two."

"Okay, deal."

Macy smiled, and then they went inside the back seat with their dog.

Wenston looked at the golden retriever.

Ava smiled."Wenston, meet Darwin. Darwin, meet Wenston."

Wenton looked at Reed.

Reed understood what Wenston wanted to do. He smiled and nodded his head.

Wenston stretched his hand to Darwin. Darwin smelled the hand of Wenston,then licked it. Wenston smiled,then he petted Darwin's head.

Macy crossed her hand with a frown on her face."Darwin, how many times have I told you not to become close with strangers? You will have no food tonight!"

Darwin looked sad, then he turned his head to Ava for help.

Reed and Ava laughed. There was laughter inside the car as it ran on the highway. Darwin moved his head out of the window. He opened his mouth as he enjoyed the breeze.

Ava remembered Reed's parents."Where are Uncle Dylan and Aunt Ruth?"

The face of Reed turned sad."They were in an accident. They're gone."

Ava and Macy gasped. They felt too shocked. Ava looked at Wenston, who was leaning his head on the car's window. "I'm sorry."

The atmosphere in the car turned sad. Fortunately, they were already at their destination.

Reed parked the car.

Wenston looked at Reed."Brother, I want to play with Darwin."

Reed looked behind the car.

"We will stay within the car," said Macy.

Reed thought that it would be fine. He will only leave for a short time, and the girl looked smart and sensible, so she went to the store with Ava.

Ava looked at Reed as they picked foods from the store."I'm sorry that we have to hear the news from you."

Reed looked at Ava and smiled."Don't worry about it."

"What are your plans now? Will you stay here for good?"

Reed shook his head. "I will only stay here because of some matters. I need to go back to the city for college and Wenston's therapy. Our parents have life insurance, but I need to prepare for Wenton's future. It is easier to find a part-time job in the city to sustain our daily expenses."

Ava looked at Reed's face and smiled."You are an extraordinary brother."

Reed just smiled. They finished picking up groceries and went to the counter.

Meanwhile, Macy and Wenston met trouble.

Wenston was hugging Darwin as Macy stood in front of them.

A giant man named Austin was looking at them."Girl, your dog almost caused me an accident."

A man named John laughed. There were others who were sitting on a motorcycle that looked like a chopper model."Austin, come on, teach it a lesson, and let's go."

Austin shook his head."Girl, you are lucky that it was me. If it was a man like John, your dog would probably be dead. Go."

Macy felt relieved, and then she pulled Wenston and the leash to the grocery store.

A man was approaching the group of Austin as he rode his motorcycle when he noticed a familiar figure. He smiled as he accelerated the motorcycle.

"Walk faster," said Macy, but a hand grabbed Wenston's shoulder and stopped their pace.

"We met again, boy," said Carson with a grin, and then his face turned fierce."Where is your brother?"

Then he saw Reed in the transparent glass of the grocery store.

"Oh, he is there," said Carson, then he chuckled.

Darwin barked at Carson. Reed and Ava just came out of the store and heard Macy's shout for help.

Carson was grinning as he raised his hand."This is for the interest."

He slapped Wenston's face, causing the kid to fall to the ground.

Reed's mind snapped. The groceries fell from his hand, then he dashed to Carson.

Carson was grinning as he raised his arms like a boxer.

Reed suddenly jumped and kicked Carson's belly.

Carson was blown to his back and rolled on the ground. His friends approached him and helped him get up.

Reed sharply looked at Carson and the man's friends."Ava, take them and move away."

"Be careful."

"Fuck!" cursed Carson as he held his belly with his left hand.

Austin looked at Reed."Boy, I heard what happened on the bus. I know it could be Carson's fault, but you hit them too hard. They deserve your apology."

"Fuck! Are you his friend or my friend?! How can an apology be enough?! There must be an apology and a few slaps!" Shouted Carson.

"You heard him, boy. An apology and a few slaps can solve the conflict. It is much better than having broken bones."

The men moved and surrounded Reed.

Reed looked at the men around him and said,"Fine."

Ava and Macy looked shocked. They can't believe that Reed,the troublemaker, allowed himself to be slapped.

Carson laughed. He grinned as he walked with difficulty to Reed. He stood in front of him and spit at both of his palms."Are you ready, boy?"

Reed nodded his head."How about you?"

Carson laughed."Of course,I am ready!"

"Good," said Reed, then he suddenly slapped Carson's face. He slapped both of Carson's cheeks a few times. The area seemed to have turned silent as the loud sound of slaps spread in the air.

Reed stopped slapping, then Carson crashed to the ground.

Ava, Macy, Austin, and the others were shocked.

Reed looked at Austin. "I apologize for hitting them too hard on the bus. I did what you asked. An apology and a few slaps. Is the conflict settled?"

Austin and the others fiercely stared at him.

"It seems not," said Reed.

Austin gripped his knuckle.

"Boy, you made a grave mistake. You will pay with many broken bones."

0