Chapter 32 – Reine (2)
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Is that an order, highness?” Reine asked.

“Never that, it is a suggestion.” Aureus replied.

“May I know your highness’s intentions with said suggestions?” Reine asked as she arched her neck.

Aureus framed his response in a diplomatic manner as he replied Reine’s query. His main point being the mage whom Reine will contract to, is outstanding in his own way despite a low aether core rating. He stressed that the details of their contracts would be worked out between the two and that he was simply a facilitator as he sees potential in the combination as well as utility for both parties.

Reine’s brows creased as Aureus related about Caine’s low aether core rating.

Aureus caught the expression and said “Seeing is more believing than a thousand words, why not have a look?”

Reine bowed and replied that she would do so.

Aureus mentioned that Caine is currently working with Edward and has a high likelihood of being found in the castle’s training grounds.

Reine’s expression showed confusion as she left the study but it also carried a determined cast as she headed to the training grounds.

Edward and Caine were in the midst of discussions regarding integrating golem tactics with the Direwolf company when they spied Reine making her way across the field towards them.

Both men carried a puzzled look at this unexpected turn of events.

Soon Reine arrived and requested to speak with Caine in private.

Edward immediately excused himself saying that he needed to check up on the troops training and can be found at the command tent later should there be any need.

As Edward left, Reine scrutinized Caine and found herself highly unimpressed.

She was wondering for the life of hers, what exactly could Aureus mean by the this particular mage being impressive to the point that he would recommend her contracting with him.

As the silence stretched, Caine stepped from one foot to the other until he could bear it no longer and asked “Mistress Reine, what brings you here?”

Reine cut to the chase and related how Aureus recommended that she form a spirit contract with Caine due to the potential benefits it would bring both parties.

Caine’s brows shot upwards as Reine finished speaking. He appeared to have trouble maintaining his composure as evidenced by his breathing becoming shallow.

Caine decided to start off with an introduction of the Direwolf company and its purposes as well as how it would look like when all components for it has gathered.

“I am one of the three main components. Having an appropriate spirit beast contracted with me will drastically increase my golem controlling powers even without considering the issue of compatibility.” Caine related. “I believe it is his highness’s wishes for you to attach yourself to this company as it is a position that can easily garner military merits as well as having frequent access to the inner council.”

Reine had a look that said she could have figured out everything that Caine just said. What interested her was whether the mage in front her deserved to contract with her.

“What interests me is whether you have the right to spirit contract with me. All else is irrelevant to me.” Reine said in a steely tone.

“How may I demonstrate that?” Caine countered.

“Spirit beasts operate in a hierarchy of strength, I have noted your performance on the battlefield. It is barely passable to be considered for contracting though I will admit that it has a certain degree of impressiveness to it now that I know your aether core rating.” Reine said without a change in expression. “I am interested in prince Aureus’s evaluation that you are impressive. To be frank, I cannot see that now. Tell me, why would prince Aureus evaluate you this highly?”

The silence stretched between the two for several moments only broken by the cry of a nearby sparrow.

“I would not claim to know his highness’s thoughts, I would hazard a guess that the likeliest possibility lies in my ambition.” Said Caine as his face took on a determined cast.

The change in expression was noted by Reine and she gestured for Caine to continue.

“It is my dream to vaunt the golem magic branch into being classified as a primary magic branch.” Caine said.

Reine’s jaw dropped slightly before she closed it and began tapping her chin as she re-evaluated the mage before her.

“I have no objections to having wild ambitions… I find myself somewhat impressed. Many must have ridiculed you at the scope of said goal.” Reine’s manner became softer as she related her thoughts. “Ultimately, can you back up your ambitions though? It is easy to declare said goals but can you demonstrate any proof that you have at least achieved some manner of success towards working to your goal?”

Caine replied that the reason he is currently in Aureus’s employ was due to the fact that a grade 5 monster core has been promised to him within 3 years. With the appropriate monster core, his strength would increase exponentially as he would be able to control 100 golems for starters and that is just the beginning of him using the core.

“I assume that my spirit beast ability is also beneficial to you?”

“Yes though I am unable to determine the complete scope as no golem mage has ever achieved perfect synchronization with a spirit spider beast.”

“That is fine. Come seek me out after you received this monster core of yours. I wish for a demonstration of your increased strength after the core. I will make the decision as to whether I will spirit contract with you after that.”

“That sounds fair, I shall do so then.”

“Good day to you, ambitious mage.”

“Pleasant journeys back to one’s abode, Mistress Reine.”

The next week, at the cores workshop…

Ruby and Emerald light twined, glowed and died down.

(Finally, the Spider Queen core and Salamander core is ready)

Edward brushed his forehead with the back of his hand as he put the cores into separate cases.

As he left the workshop, he was beaming from ear to ear as he thought about the reactions the mages would have when they received their cores the next day.

Caine and Tiffany were in animated discussions outside the command tent of the Direwolf company the next day before the sun even rose.

One could catch snippets of their conversations which included phrases such as ‘messenger last night’ and ‘cores ready’.

Caine was gesturing animatedly as he went over and over about the properties of a spider queen core.

Tiffany finally had to put her foot down and told Caine to calm down and wait for Edward to arrive.

Caine took several deep breaths before nodding towards Tiffany.

As the sun slowly peeked from the horizon, the steady footfalls of a man could be heard approaching the tent.

“Morning mages, I assume my message got through all right last night.” Edward’s eyes twinkled as he greeted the two mages.

The two mages were completely not paying attention to his words but instead their eyes zeroed in onto the two wooden cases that Edward was carrying.

Shaking his head and smiling ruefully, Edward asked the two mages to accompany him into the tent where he will present the cores to the mages.

“I wanted prince Aureus to present the cores to you later in the morning but I also guessed that you may appear before then. Would it be fine if you two were to examine the cores in advance before returning them?” Edward smiled as he opened the case. “While I do not put much stock into the ceremonial forms, unfortunately it must be observed in this case.”

“We understand, we are the first mage retainers prince Aureus recruited in the outer realm after all. The bestowal of items such as these cores would raise waves in the Eastern magi agencies too. ” Tiffany said as she looked at the ruby-red salamander core. “We will do this in accordance to the forms.”

Both Edward and Tiffany turned to look towards Caine who appeared to be enraptured by the spirit-blue core in front of him. Tiffany had a gratuitous expression as she gazed on Caine while Edward decided to present the blue core to Caine first.

Caine did a salute over his heart before accepting the core and examining in depth while pulsing his aether core.

Surprisingly, Tiffany’s gaze did not return to the core but instead lingered on Caine as he completed his examination of the blue core.

Caine’s face broke into a wide smile as he declared “This is the genuine article.”

0