Chapter 37: Awakened Desires and Honesty
291 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kazue POV 

  

  

  

  

“I can’t believe she just ripped me off” <Kazue> 

  

  

I tugged my coat and looked at the equipment that caused me to have a debt worth 90,000,000 DAL. 

I lamented this fact and thought of something that 90,000,000 DAL is worth. 

I heard that 10,000,000 can buy you a nice house in the capital. 

That means this equipment is worth at least 10 houses. 

Clothes = 10 House. 

That’s just absurd. 

If not for the fact that the effects of the equipment are beyond impressive, I would have cursed Shaina for it. 

  

  

Shaina did not lie. 

This equipment was worth that much. 

I made personal research on this in the guild and I even visited other armor shops around the city. 

The only adventurers who could afford and have this kind of equipment were adventurers of at least B-rank and above. 

Anyway, what I want to say is that the equipment is worth that much. 

Despite all of that, I still feel I got cheated. 

Maybe I was, but the fact that I need new equipment for the reason that the old ones I had were devastated beyond repair. 

Also, since I trust Shaina, I did not mind having a debt to her. 

I am not feeling that bad at all. 

Not at all... 

I have nothing to use my money for anyway, so in the end, I just accepted the equipment and the debt. 

I’m not sure if it was the best idea though. 

  

  

So, since I did not want to feel that I’d wasted my money. 

I went out and looked for a worthy opponent to test my new equipment. 

[No... Sorry, I was lying.] 

I did not want to admit but back in Altus, I’ve discovered something about myself that I haven’t noticed in our world. 

I awakened something within me, I realized that “I am a thrill-seeker”. 

Not just any kind of thrill, I want the rush of battles, the more dangerous it is the better. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am not seeking death, I’m seeking fun. 

That being said I am trying my best to do a mission that is a little bit “Challenging” so what I did was accept a quest that I feel would give that. 

That was my plan. 

  

------------------------------------ 

  

Forest Bear Subjugation 

Quest Rank: 

E 

Details: 

Hunt 5 Forest Bear 

Reward: 

50,000 DAL 

  

---------------------------------------- 

It had been more than 50 days, to be exact it’s been 55 days since our class was summoned into this world. 

In that span of time, I feel that I have adjusted to the way of living in this world. 

I became accustomed to the ways of living in this world. 

Seeing monsters is starting to become an everyday thing for me. 

  

  

Forest Bear. 

One of the strongest E-ranked monsters here in the forest. 

Once upon a time, when I was still starting as an adventurer, I found it hard to defeat these monsters. 

Right now, I feel no danger when facing them or what so ever. 

  

  

Blood was dripping down from my sword. 

I was looking at the brown bear lying on the floor, without changing my expression. 

-sigh- 

I shook the blood from my sword. 

I Wiped it with a piece of cloth from the pocket of my skirt before returning it to its sheath 

I just killed a Forest Bear. 

  

  

“Ahh..." 

I let out a disappointed groan. 

"These E-ranked quest is starting to feel like an F-ranked quest.” <Kazue> 

I was starting to get bored with the E-ranked quest I am taking. 

It would take me 1-2 days to finish them. 

Not because the quest was harder. 

It was because the monsters or quest items are harder to find. 

  

  

Too bad, but the quest here in the Imperial Capital is mostly an F or E-ranked quest. 

I rarely see a quest that is higher than C-ranked in the Imperial Capital. 

This was because it was more peaceful here in the capital than in the places far from it. 

As expected for the "Starting City" of an isekai. 

The stronger monsters are located further away from the imperial capital. 

  

  

“That’s 5 of them.” <Kazue> 

I just killed another brown forest bear 

I did not need my pet’s help for me to defeat it. 

[This is starting to feel boring.] 

  

  

************************* 

I went back to the city 

  

  

“Yoh!, wolf mom, welcome back!” <Gate Guard> 

The city gate’s guard called for my name. 

“Mr. Guard. I’m back.” <Kazue> 

I greeted him back as he called for me. 

“You’re back early today?” <Gate Guard> 

“I manage to kill the last forest bear to finish my quest.” <Kazue> 

“Oh, I see. You’re doing a good job.” <Gate Guard> 

“Aa~ but I am starting to feel bored.” <Kazue> 

“Oho~ and why is that miss?” <Gate Guard> 

“These bears are not challenging to deal with anymore. Is this really an E-rank quest? Don't you think this quest is too easy for it to be an E-ranked quest?” <Kazue> 

“Whoa- Whoa- Whoa! Missy, most of the E-ranked adventurers will have completed the quest you just did. It is not normal for an E-ranked adventurer like you to say such a thing you know? Just so you know you're somewhat special.” <Gate Guard> 

The guard seems to be shocked and amused by what I said. 

“Ehhh~ Do you really think so?” <Kazue> 

I thought it was sarcasm, 

He looked really sincere... 

  

  

The guard smiled at me. 

“Kuuu!!! I envy you so much, missy! This only shows how talented you are. I can't wait to see you after a few years. I bet you’ll be strong as hell by then.” <Gate Guard> 

Although the content of his speech was hinting at his envy of my talent, he looks happy. 

From the way this world work and how hard it is to level up.  

I don’t see “me” becoming that much stronger after just a few years. 

[Maybe my dream to become S-rank someday may never come...] 

The guard pats my back. 

“To see that one day, I would see you this reliable, to think that not a month ago you always get chased by monsters from the forest, now look at you. You’ve grown up well” <Gate Guard> 

“Ahahahaha???” <Kazue> 

The guard pats my shoulder as he acted as if he was my father. 

  

  

Anyhow. 

I feel that the boost I got from the equipment I received from Shaina was too much.  

Even if I level up to level 12, that improvement in power was nothing compared to the power the equipment did to me.  

The effect of the items alone is good enough to give me so much boost, the stats and the defensive capabilities of it were just another bonus.  

This equipment is designed to receive damage from monsters who are B-ranked and above.  

Meaning the attacks from C-ranked and below can only do so much on this equipment.  

I feel that all monsters living near the capital will pose no threat against me as long as I have the equipment I got from Shaina. 

I hate to admit it, but this set of armor really is a little bit overpowered. 

  

  

I said goodbye to the guard and proceeded to claim my rewards in the Adventurer's guild. 

It would take me about 30 minutes to arrive from the city gates to the Adventurer’s guild. 

As I was walking toward the Adventurer’s guild building. 

While I was walking dazedly on the main road. 

I remembered the event that happened a few days ago. 

The fight with the ghoul was so intense and when I try to remember about it my excitement would not settle down. 

As I was lost in thoughts, I started to swing an imaginary sword as I was walking on the road. 

I tried to reenact the fight in my mind and moved my arms according to what I remembered. 

  

  

“Hey, look it’s the Wolf Mother, I wonder what kind of ritual is she doing right now?” <Bystander 1> 

“I’m amused by how she comes out with weird action every time I see her.” <Bystander 2> 

I heard two bystanders talk about me. 

I guess having “Blue-eyed Wolf” as a familiar was quite an eye-catch for the adventurers and the townspeople. 

“Wolf Mother” is the nickname I was labeled for quite some time now 

I guess it was because they would often see me walk with my pets in the city. 

Now that I think about it, they called me "ALPHA" before. 

I did not want them to call me that, it seems that they changed it to “Wolf Mother” for some reason. 

And now even though I tried hard to tell them to not call me that, they still called me "wolf mother" or "wolf mom". 

[I just don’t get why they call me “Mother”. I would have preferred “Master”, “User”, “Tamer” or something… but mother?? Why?] 

  

  

The people who were across the streets and the ones in front of me were looking at me with weird expressions on their faces. 

The sight of me walking with my pet wolf was some kind of an attraction to the people who often see me on this road. 

People who were riding the carriage that was traveling on the road would bring down the curtain of their carriage just to see me and the wolves. 

It was the same this time. 

They saw me do my imaginary sword fighting with the air. 

I looked around and saw people looking at me with a difficult expressions on their faces all around me. 

[Achaaa~ I did it again! How Embarrassing!!!] 

When I realized this, I pulled the hood off my coat and started walking faster. 

  

  

I arrive at the adventurer’s guild with my hood still over my head. 

I could hear the voices of the adventurers who were eating in the pub. 

“Oh, it looks like Wolf Mother did something weird on the way again.” <Adventurer A> 

“Wait, I’ll go and ask the people what weird thing did she do today.” <Adventurer B> 

“Would you like to place a bet in guessing what she did today?” <Adventurer C> 

“I’m game!” <Adventurer D> 

I glared at the adventurers talking things about me. 

They only react to my gaze with laughter. 

[These guys are teasing me.] 

  

  

“Kazue-san, Welcome” 

A greeting called for me. 

I looked for the source of the voice and what I saw was a beautiful girl in twin tails and wearing a waitress uniform. 

It was Yamanaka Kirari. 

“You’re early to retire for today! “ <Kirari> 

“Yeah, I finished doing the Forest Bear Subjugation quest and I wanted to call it quits for the day.” <Kazue> 

“Hmnn? You don’t look too happy for someone who finished a quest?” <Kirari> 

“It’s not like that.” <Kazue> 

“Hmnn… Wait here.” <Kirari> 

  

  

Kirari ran toward the “employees” only area of the guild. 

Kirari started to remove the apron from her waist as she walks. 

Not long after, she came back wearing civilian clothes. 

“I took a break for a while, so we can talk.” <Kirari> 

“You don’t have to do that! It was nothing!” <Kazue> 

“fufufu~ come on Kazue, didn’t I say I wanted to talk to you sometimes?” I decided that "that" sometimes be "now". So how about it?” <Kirari> 

“I guess, I have nothing else to do. But wait for a bit I’ll just confirm my quest completion for a bit.” <Kazue> 

“K~” <Kirari> 

  

  

I went and completed the request. 

It seems that the one on the reception table today was not Daniella. 

I was not close with the other receptionist in the guild other than Daniella so I did not stay long at the receptionist's table. 

They just greeted me with a “Good Job, Adventurer” 

I just passed the request form and left everything to the receptionist. 

  

  

I walked back to Kirari who was sitting at one of the tables. 

I sat together with her, facing her on the other side of the table. 

“Sorry, I made you wait.” <Kazue> 

“No problem” <Kirari> 

“So? What do you want to talk about Kirari-san?” <Kazue> 

“Hmnn, now that you ask about it, I have no idea…” <Kirari> 

She puts a finger on her chin pretending to think of something. 

  

  

“Oi.” <Kazue> 

“Ahahaha~ don’t look too serious Kazue!” <Kirari> 

“No, no this is my usual face” <Kazue> 

Kirari shook her head to disagree with what I just said. 

"I am being honest, I don't have anything in particular to talk about. I just wanted to talk to you, Kazue." <Kirari> 

"Huh?" <Kazue> 

  

  

“I’ve seen you many times now. I am not able to talk to you too much but I noticed that you’ve changed. That is why I wanted to talk to you.” <Kirari> 

“Huh? What do you mean? Do you mean these clothes? I got it from Shai! She even ripped me off for this you know! Can you believe it? Now I have 90,000,000 DAL debt to Shai! She made me sign a contract without me noticing. Right now, I am short of money!” <Kazue> 

“Ahahah~ that’s… sounds bad. No, no, that’s not it.” <Kirari> 

  

  

Kirari shook her head and tried to explain herself again. 

“I did not mean a change in your appearance.” <Kirari> 

“Huh? Then what?” <Kazue> 

“Hmnn, let's see… How do I tell this… It's your Aura??”? <Kirari> 

“? Aura...” <Kazue> 

I raised an eyebrow at Kirari. 

“Mpff” <Kirari> 

Once again, she almost laughed out of nowhere. 

It seemed that she found my action made her laugh 

‘Oi!!!” <Kazue> 

“Sorry! Sorry… Do you remember the time when we were still in our world?” <Kirari> 

“Ahuh… What about it?” <Kazue> 

“I was observing you for the past few days you know. I noticed that your expression became a lot livelier. I came to see new expressions from you that I never saw you make back in our world.” <Kirari> 

I placed both of my hands on my cheeks to try and feel the change in my expression. 

[Come to think of it, our classmates also said the same thing in Altus] 

“Really?” <Kazue> 

“un” <Kirari> 

Kirari nods hard for confirmation. 

  

  

“I can see many new expressions on your face. Back in our world, I would often see you having the same bored expression on your face. It was as if you were always in a bad mood.” <Kirari> 

When I think about it, she is right… 

I feel that from the time I started exploring this world, I feel that I was having fun. 

[Well, to be blunt the reason why I’m always in a bad mood is because of Hano, Chiho, Eiko, and Mizuko’s relationship shenanigans. It stresses me out seeing their never-ending pursuit of the dense male protagonist, Hano. I guess not seeing such a scene for a long time is a good thing?] 

Kirari continued to talk 

“As I observe you these past few days. I noticed that your expression became richer and more varied. I could see you having a troubled expression over the selection of quest, I can see you happily chatting with the guild receptionist. Getting fired up over the fact people call you weird. Having gotten embarrassed from the teasing of the adventurers, getting angry… Oh, I supposed you also had that expression before? You know what I mean… In the past, you would only make those expressions when you were with Chiho and the others and NEVER when you were not with them. But now I feel that you’re having fun most of the time. Think about it! We barely have this kind of conversation in our world! After seeing that your expressions became “relaxed” I find it easier to approach you.” <Kirari> 

  

  

I became silent for a second. 

“Did I look that way?” <Kazue> 

I asked, and Kirari nods, 

Even I am aware that people tend to hold back in approaching me before. 

“To be honest It was really hard to approach you during that time. And so… I was bothered. The expression you had when you entered the guild was the same expression you wear when we were still in our world. So, I thought “Something might have happened” that is why I am here talking with you right now.” <Kirari> 

“Ahhh…” <Kazue> 

  

  

Kirari might be correct.  

Maybe I was bored to some extent.  

To be honest I was OK with my life in our world.  

But somewhere in my heart, I was looking for something to ignite the fire within me.  

I’m not good with people so there are times I wish to be alone.  

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy what normal people enjoy like going out and having fun.  

I appreciate it since it gives flavor to my everyday life.  

To that, I am thankful to Chiho and the others for dragging me out from time to time.  

But... At the same time, I also enjoy my time in solitude.  

  

  

Back in our world, I was living alone in an apartment. 

Well, it is also because our family house is too far from the city.  

Since at school I am always with Chiho and the others. 

I came to love the time when I am alone in my room.  

I would play games recommended to me by my brother. 

He would often visit me since he lived in the same city while attending college. 

I would play a variety of games like fighting games, shooting games, beat games, MOBA games, and RPG games, with him when he visits so I never feel homesick.  

This is how I was able to know a lot about game terms that are common in this world. 

  

  

Yeah... I was bored and unmotivated. 

But... I also have no complaint about being so. 

I thought it was the same for everyone. 

“I see… so I looked bored huh?” <Kazue> 

I answered slowly while self-reflecting. 

“You did.” <Kirari> 

Kirari said with a bright smile. 

It was the sincerest smile I saw from Kirari. 

With that smile, I feel like sharing my thought without reserve. 

[Haaah, this girl is amazing with this kind of thing. No wonder why the other girls rely on her.] 

Even I felt like opening up to her. 

I decided to be honest with Kirari and tell her what was in my heart. 

  

  

So. 

I explained to Kirari about my recent boredom. 

About the fact that I was feeling bored since the monsters in the capital post no challenged me anymore. 

Thanks to the equipment I got from Shaina and to the stronger monster I fought in Altus. 

I feel that the monster here in the capital is not even worth comparing and was not fun to deal with. 

About the fact that I am looking for a thrilling “deathmatch” with monsters like I had back in Altus. 

About the fact that people call me “wolf mother” 

About how people think of me as weird. 

And about my problems with money. 

  

  

“—so that’s it... I see now...” <Kazue> 

Kirari has her arms covering her face. 

At first, I thought she was crying so I thought “Finally, someone who can understand my pain”. 

But then I heard her sigh loudly for a long time so I could hear. 

“HAAAAAAAAA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~” <Kirari> 

  

  

“Kirari?” <Kazue> 

“I feel so stupid after listening to your problem…” <Kirari> 

I tilted my head at Kirari who seemed so disappointed at my laments. 

  

  

“Kazue-chi… I think some screws in your head are loose somewhere. You should look for professional help. Seriously. I fear that someday you’ll turn out to be a psychopath.” <Kirari> 

  

  

[Oi, oi Kirari-chan! Why are you looking at me like that?] 

[In the first place are there Psychologists in this world?] 

Feeling that Kirari was able to read my thought, I looked at her face. 

On Kirari’s face, I could see the look of pity and resignation. 

12