Chapter 44: The Test and The Result
243 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Andrew POV 

  

  

When the guild master finished talking to us, he walked away to have a good look at my duel with this female adventurer in front of me. 

As the duel was about to start, I keenly observed her. 

She was relaxed, she was brimming with confidence, and was also observing me and my party members. 

From what I can tell, I know that she was formulating a plan inside her head. 

  

  

I turned around to talk to my party members. 

I asked Tristan, an Archer, and Carl, a mage to be our ranged attackers. 

Both Tristan and Carl are D-rank adventurers and are considered to be very skilled even amongst D-ranks. 

I also asked my most trusted comrade John; a skilled spear user and a C-rank adventurer like me to test her. 

I know that this party composition of 2 C-ranks and 2 D-ranks is too much for an E-rank adventurer to stand a chance of winning. 

But since I promised her that I would not be holding back, I chose them to be by my side. 

After all, if she could not even do something about us, there was no way she'll survive in the dungeon. 

  

  

“Everyone, I know that we're up against an E-rank adventurer but don’t let your guards down.” <Andrew> 

They all nod in agreement with my statement. 

It seems that just like me, my party members also felt "something" about this girl, and because of that "something" we could not let our guards down. 

  

  

From afar, the guild master yelled us words telling us to get into position. 

“Adventurers! I assume that you’re ready?” <Belgarath> 

I nodded and pulled my two-handed sword strapped on my back. 

  

  

In the same way the female adventurer, Mizusawa Kazue pulled out a sword from her waist. 

I was a little bit surprised that she also wields a sword. 

All this time I did not notice that she was carrying it until she pulled it out from her waist. 

[Is she a Swordsman or a Tamer? is she doing this as a bluff? No…] 

I carefully observed the little miss. 

From the way she carries her sword that it looked so natural for her to carry a sword, I could tell that she was not bluffing. 

By any means, I knew that she was accustomed to wielding a sword. 

As a sword wielder myself, I could tell that she knows how to fight with a sword from the way she stood. 

  

  

“Tsk…” <Andrew> 

[I messed up; I should have gathered some information about her beforehand. Aaaa… There’s no helping it I’ll just have to stay on guard to whatever she would do.] 

I got into stance and so did she. 

  

  

“START” <Belgarath> 

As soon as the guild master said those words I rushed toward the female adventurer. 

The female adventurer pulled up her hood and rushed toward me with 2 of her familiars 

I was caught off guard by the fact that she also rushed toward me without hesitation. 

[Hmpf, so it’s like this huh? It's either she’s looking down on me or she's just that confident with her skills. Either way, I will find it out in a moment. I can't have her look down on me, even if I am like this I am still one of the strongest C-ranked adventurers in this city. There’s no way an E-rank swordsman can take me on. If you're that confident with your skills then show me what you got!] 

  

  

I swung my sword at the female adventurer but she easily dodged my attack. 

I only swung it as bait, but I knew the moment she dodges the sword that I messed up. 

[FAST, so... she was that skilled huh?] 

She quickly countered my attack forcing me to one-sidedly block her continuous sword attacks with my sword. 

-clang- -clang- -clang- 

[Sh*t… So, this girl was not your typical E-rank. I can't even find an opening to counter.] 

The female adventurer’s attack was fast, heavy, and precise. 

[This power… this speed… is she an E-rank? Her swings are comparable to that of the other C-Rank adventurers I dueled before.] 

  

  

Meanwhile, I notice that her wolves are trailing behind her. 

Two wolves passed by me the large wolf went to my right and the smaller but faster wolf moved to the left. 

I could not intercept them because the female adventurer has sealed my capability to do just that. 

If I tried to chase after the two wolves now and help Carl and Tristan the miss will not hesitate to cut me down. 

[She has me trapped... I shouldn't have baited her to rush at me from the start.] 

She has the skill to limit the action I can do, to be honest after exchanging blows with her I knew that she was on par with my skills. 

If I try to do unnecessary things the possibility of me being defeated is high. 

[but… I don’t think my party will be defeated by a mere blue-eyed wolf.] 

  

  

John, my party members judged that the larger wolf imposes more danger than the small yet fast-moving wolf. 

John knew that the large wolf should not get close to our Mage and Archer so he immediately intercepted the large wolf with his spear. 

The problem was the abnormally fast wolf who passed me to the left. 

Tristan shoots his arrows at the fast-moving wolf but it easily dodges the attacks. 

Carl casts a quick but weak spell to keep the wolf from approaching the two of them keeping it at a distance. 

  

  

“Hmnn… to think that you still have time to think about your party members.” <Kazue> 

The female adventurer said in a cold voice. 

I got distracted for a moment. 

She used that time to step back for a bit and I notice a faint white glow from her sword. 

[That’s... (Aura blade)… sh*t so she can even use that skill too? It would be fatal for me to think of her skills to be just that of an E-rank. I guess if I take it easy here, she and her wolves would sweep us to the floor.] 

  

  

 
 

I roar to activate my skill (Howl) and at the same time, I also used the (Aura blade). 

The skill (Howl) temporarily pushed the miss back from the shockwave of my scream. 

But unexpectedly. 

  

  

“Hee… Isamu let’s do that too, HOWL!” <Kazue> 

The large wolf jumped next to the female adventurer pulling John close. 

The large wolf howled at it seemed that the wolf can also use the skill (Howl). 

  

  

“Andrew, at this rate we’ll just end up in a stalemate.” <John> 

John said running next to me. 

“That monster is strong, I could tell that that monster alone is stronger than a Kobold Leader.” <John> 

“Are you being serious?” <Andrew> 

John evaluated the large wolf to be as strong as the Kobold Leader which was a D-rank monster. 

[So even her familiars are abnormally strong.] 

  

  

Carl and Tristan managed to keep the fast-moving wolf at bay and were unable to get close. 

“Hayate, come here!” <Kazue> 

The fast wolf who was trying to approach Carl and Tristan moved back and stood next to the little miss. 

They have regrouped. 

She closed her eyes for a bit, letting out a clearing breath. 

Once she opened her eyes, I felt something cold running on my back. 

She was looking at me with wide eyes and her face became expressionless. 

She lowered her center of gravity. 

  

  

At that moment I knew that something was about to happen. 

Instinctively I activated a skill. 

(Fortress) 

I used Fortress, a skill that will allow me to endure an attack once without getting any damage. 

A skill I use when situations are getting bad. 

This skill has saved my life on many occasions in my long time working as an adventurer. 

A skill I consider one of my trump cards. 

  

  

“!!!” 

I could not react properly and only let out a gasp. 

I lost track of the missy, and in the next moment, I felt that my skill (Fortress) has been used up. 

[I was attacked?] 

I then saw the miss beside me already completed a slashing motion. 

She was as surprised as I was. 

  

  

“Andrew! Argg!” <John> 

John yelled because the Large wolf and the fast small wolf attacked him at the same time. 

John used his skill, (Double thrust) to fend off the two wolves but they both managed to dodge. 

  

  

“Tsk” <Andrew> 

I kicked the girl to push her momentarily away from me and create some distance. 

Followed up by an attack from Carl and Tristan, a flying arrow flew toward her and stopped her from advancing further and breaking her balance. 

I thought that the missy did not have enough time to dodge the magic attack from Carl and was hit by the magic bullets. 

“With this…” <Andrew> 

I said but the next moment, I saw that the little miss was unscathed. 

“What the?” <Andrew> 

[She used her coat as a shield? That coat must have a high defensive capability to be able to resist magic bullets like it was nothing.] 

"Tsk" <Andrew> 

I clicked my tongue, I now realized that this girl was no joke. 

[This girl is dangerous. If I did not use (Fortress) she could have dealt significant damage to my body right now. It seems that the miss was also surprised by the fact that her attack did not do anything to me despite hitting me cleanly.] 

  

  

I jumped back to make space between me and the miss. 

The miss and her familiar also did the same. 

Our site also gathered to regroup. 

Miss Kazue and her familiars gathered likewise while I and my party gathered the same way. 

  

  

“Oi! That equipment you have is quite high level doesn’t it?” <Andrew> 

I probe at the little miss. 

 I know that the reason she was unscathed from the magic bullets from earlier is because of her equipment which has high defensive quality. 

“Look who’s talking. I did not expect you to be unharmed after hitting you cleanly. But to think that I could not even put a scratch on you is a bit…” <Kazue> 

[She must be talking about my Fortress skill.] 

“Hahaha, that’s because I used a skill.” <Andrew> 

“tsk, that’s cheating." <Kazue> 

  

  

I casually exchanged words with the miss. 

I admit this girl is way beyond what I expected her to be. 

I did expect her to be special but not to this extent. 

Those blue-eyed wolves are not typical blue-eyed wolves either. 

Those familiars were unique in their way. 

[Wait…] 

I realized that all this time we were only dealing with two of the three wolves. 

  

  

[She's still hiding something.] 

  

  

******************* 

Kazue POV 

  

  

[What the hell was that just now? I was sure I managed to hit him. He said it was a skill. That’s cheating!] 

I was sure to be able to finish the fight at that time but I failed. 

But luckily enough I still have not revealed everything yet, I still have a chance to turn this around. 

  

  

There’s no way one would think a blue-eyed wolf can use magic. 

I will use Kaori to get them off guard for the last time. 

But I must put in mind that I could not let Kaori fight up front as I do with Isamu and Hayate. 

Physically speaking, Kaori was still as strong as she was when I met her, physically she’s just your average Blue-eyed Wolf. 

But I guess the fact that my opponent does not know that fact, they will treat her like Isamu who has abnormal size and strength, and Hayate who has abnormal speed. 

At the very least I can keep them guessing by leaving Kaori on standby up until now. 

  

  

“Now… how do I deal with this…” <Kazue> 

Andrew-san was probably as strong as I am so there was no way I could defeat him easily. 

I wanted to surprise him and catch him off guard by using the combination of 3 of my skills, (Concentration), (Burst), and (Decapitating Slash). 

Honestly, I thought it was my win when I manage to pull it off a moment ago, only to fail miserably. 

To think that, “that” would not work made me lose some confidence. 

  

  

Although Isamu and Hayate became strong, there’s no way they will be able to defeat that adventurer wielding a spear. 

Also, I have no means to attack that archer and mage as long as Andrew-san was still there. 

  

  

[OK, this is my last attempt at victory.] 

[I think I’ve shown to this guy the extent of what I’m capable of.] 

[There’s no way they would not acknowledge me after this right?] 

[They should accept that I can join the raid, right?] 

[I mean I’m sure I’ve made it clear that I’m no pushover, right?] 

[Right?] 

  

  

I looked at the guild master who was standing next to Krisha-san watching our match. 

"..." <Belgarath> 

As expected, I could not read what the guild master has in mind. 

I could see Krisha-san staring at me with sparkling eyes. 

[Uwah, I guess the guild master would not stop this match anytime soon huh?] 

  

  

“Andrew-san, this will be my last attempt to defeat you.” <Kazue> 

I called out Andrew-san announcing my final attempt at defeating them. 

For no apparent reason, I announced my intention toward Andrew-san and his party members. 

“Got it… come at me!” <Andrew> 

  

  

“Isamu, (Megamorph).” <Kazue> 

 [Yes, mother!] <Isamu> 

Isamu howled to activate the skill. 

Isamu used his unique Skill (Megamorph) 

(Megamorph), although it was the passive skill that made Isamu grow larger than usual it still has an active use. 

When Isamu uses (Megamorph) his body will become larger temporarily. 

Usually, when Isamu is standing on his four legs, he was about 3 feet tall, but with the skill (Megamorph), his size is doubled to about 6 feet. 

If before he looked like a large wolf, after using (Megamorph) he transforms into a giant wolf as tall as a large bear. 

Even I feel intimidated looking at him like that. 

  

  

I used (Burst) to move forward. 

As I expected, this time Andrew was able to follow my movements. 

We exchanged blows forcing each other to fight while unable to support our team. 

Also, they appear to have noticed the existence of Kaori since the archer and the mage were keeping a close eye on her. 

  

  

Isamu followed behind me. 

I ordered Isamu to deal with the spear user himself. 

Although Isamu’s size was doubled with the (Megamorph) skill it does not boost his stat in any way. 

I used the fact that he looked intimidating to make him appear stronger to deceive our opponent, thankfully it seems that this bluff worked. 

I knew that once the spear user realizes this fact, he would defeat Isamu eventually. 

Well, getting bigger itself is already an advantage. 

As long as he does not discern this. 

I will use Hayate to distract the mage and the archer. 

When the spear user and Isamu clashed, it was time to execute my plan. 

  

  

“KAORI!” <Kazue> 

Just as planned I made Kaori use her wind magic to create a whirlwind enveloping the battlefield. 

Dust came flying into the air but it was by no means harmful, much less deal damage. 

The real purpose of this was to blind our enemy. 

The same tactic I used to deal with the Kobolds. 

Using this moment, I kicked Andrew to separate and create distance. 

Then aimed to attack the mage and the archer. 

[With this I can knock off those Archer and Mage!] 

  

  

At that moment. 

“WHOOOH!”<Andrew> 

Andrew, let out a yell. 

For some reason, my body was pulled back to face him. 

I could not help myself but attack Andrew instead of the Archer and the Mage. 

[What the? My body… I can’t control it. For some I have this urge to attack Andrew instead.] 

  

  

“Hahaha.” <Andrew> 

Andrew laughed. 

“Nice try missy, Nice try… You probably did not expect me to be able to use (Taunt). That is why you failed.” <Andrew> 

“Hahaha….” <Kazue> 

[He got me. They got me there.] 

I could only laugh at myself for my blunder. 

[But we will not fall without a fight!] 

  

  

When Kaori used wind magic from a while ago, I made Hayate use (Stealth). 

Using stealth, he managed to sneak past the archer and mage and attacked the mage making him retire from the fight. 

But while doing so Hayate was hit by an arrow by the archer who noticed him attacking the mage. 

After getting hit by an arrow on his hind leg, Hayate also retired from the fight. 

[Nice fight Hayate!] 

  

  

The fight continued on but in the end, I was not able to do much to change the course of the fight. 

I could not help Isamu or Kaori to deal with the veteran adventurers. 

Eventually, Isamu was defeated, and then Kaori soon after. 

Although Hayate managed to defeat the mage, we could not overcome the spear user and the archer. 

Eventually, it was me VS 3 adventurers and the result at that point was obvious. 

If it was 1 vs 1 against Andrew, I could have managed to pull it off but if you add 2 more in the fray, it was too much even with my (Concentration) skill active. 

Although my equipment can prevent me from getting damaged by either of them, I have no means to win against 3 skilled adventurers. 

 It was just a matter of time...

 

 

1tg4x4g.png

 

   

After struggling for about 5 minutes after Kaori and Isamu were forced to retire. 

I was pinned down to the ground by Andrew and the spear of the spear user was pointing into my exposed face. 

I let out a sigh and relaxed my hands, dropping my sword. 

"I surrender." <Kazue> 

  

 
 

We were defeated. 

The Guild master announces the winner of the duel. 

“Winner Andrew and his party!” <Belgarath> 

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

Author Note: 

Belated Merry X-mas and an Advance Happy Newyear you all >.<v 

Oh, the next chapter will be out by tomorrow. 

 

 

AIlgJCy.png

 

For now, I'll work on this~ 

It's Kazue greeting you with a happy holidays 

11