Chapter 52: Rampage and Resolve
219 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Narrator POV 

  

  

  

  

"Uwah…" <Kazue> 

Kazue made a problematic groan after witnessing the transformation of the Kobold General. 

  

  

“KHRAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH” <Kobold General> 

The kobold made a high-pitched screech that lasted for about 5 seconds. 

The terrain amplified the volume of the high-pitched screech. 

  

  

“Isn’t this bad?” <Kazue> 

Kazue said toward herself. 

Just by looking at the monster, she knew that this transformation only means bad news. 

  

  

When the monster was done screaming in rage. 

There was no trace of intelligence that can be felt by the monster. 

It seems that the transformation had devoid it of its “Intelligence” and became a ferocious beast. 

The monster was looking at Kazue with a crazed look. 

Its eyes focused on Kazue; it seems to glow like embers of flames as it glowed. 

Its wounds also glow like embers and were releasing steam. 

The poorly-lit passage only made these eyes give off a more prominent radiance. 

The monster breathes steam from its mouth. 

It was as if the monster was overheating and was shining like there were flames within its body. 

  

  

Outside Kazue’s knowledge, “Kobe Yasuo” used a skill that he learned through his life in this world. 

He used this skill many times before. 

Kobe Yasuo uses this skill whenever he gets into dangerous situations. 

(Rampage) 

(Rampage): Increase STR and stats by 100%. This skill can only be activated when HP is under 50%. This skill cannot be deactivated after the activation unless the user has 1% remaining HP. Continuously consumes HP during the duration this skill is active. The user will lose control of his body and attack anything moving in sight.  

- Skill level perk: N/A (Unique Skill) 

  

  

In the past, he used this skill to rampage all over the place. 

He will lose control over his body and will get enveloped by sheer anger toward everything. 

He will then ravage any living creature in his sight. 

Later, he would wake up only to find out that he was at the center of a massacre. 

This time he used this skill intending to murder the girl opposing him. 

  

  

Kobe Yasuo, the Kobold General stood in its four appendages dropping its sword. 

All his consciousness faded and left everything to his skill (Rampage). 

Without delay, it started moving. 

It dashed toward Kazue like a rabid animal. 

It swung its arm down at Kazue. 

Without second thought Kazue dodged the attack by dashing to the side. 

  

  

-crash- 

A crashing sound exploded when that arm made contact with the floor. 

The attack just blew away the dirt and rocks. 

This attack was visibly more destructive than before. 

  

  

[If I get hit by that, even with my Mana shroud and the defensive capability of my equipment I don’t know if I can survive. I must be careful.] 

Kazue decerns the threat these attacks could do to her. 

She was determined to not get hit by that attack no matter what. 

  

  

Despite the transformation that the Kobold General underwent, Mizusawa Kazue did not lose her cool. 

Instead, she knew that at a time like this she must be as “level-headed” and “perceptive” as possible. 

It might sound presumptuous, but she viewed this situation to be similar to the games she played before. 

Kazue knew that when a monster has undergone such “transformation” its attack pattern will change, and at the same time the damage output of the monster will increase. 

As such, she can only think of observing and memorizing the attack pattern of the monster. 

After all, knowing all of this is the best way to get a pass in such situations. 

  

  

Kazue was thankful that the monster’s speed did not increase. 

She can still manage to evade the monster attacks while observing them. 

Although she was having a second thoughts if she should counter the attack or focus on dodging. 

Since she still doesn’t know the full extent of this monster’s ability, she decided to focus on dodging. 

  

  

Kazue keeps on sidestepping, encircling the Kobold General while extracting the necessary information she needed to fight the monster. 

Thus, she was able to study the monster and then assessed the situation. 

During this time, she ordered Kaori to stop attacking with her magic. 

Kazue was concerned that Kaori might attract the monster instead. 

If that happens Kaori would need to run away. 

So, Kazue only ordered Kaori to back her up if something unexpected occurs. 

Kaori would occasionally shoot water balls at the monster to keep it away from her mother. 

Meanwhile, Kazue focused on observing the monster while keeping “evasion” as her priority. 

She did not even attempt to counter with an attack. 

  

  

Minutes passed. 

She started evaluating her observation. 

[OK… After the monster transformed, I see that it lost the ability to think in exchange for its monstrous destructive power… It even abandoned wielding its sword, reducing the “range” of its attack and I’m thankful for that. This ability boost would be useful when fighting monsters who can only fight heads on. But… it seems that he made a mistake, this ability would only work on monsters who can only fight “Heads-on”. If I just continue to fight as I am, I can defeat him. To be honest, I feel that the first form is more troublesome since the monster can “Think”. He can think of a plan to adapt to my tactics but as he is now, as long as I keep cautious there is little to no chance that I’ll lose. Also, although the monster transformed, it seems that the damage it received earlier was not healed. The arm that receives serious damage earlier is still “Limped”. The fact that this monster only attacks with its right arm proves that the other hand is completely busted.] 

Kazue has thought of these things as she continually evades the attack of the monster. 

As time passes, she only became better at dodging the attacks of the enraged monster as she was getting accustomed to its attack method and patterns. 

  

  

The monster swung its claws toward Kazue, attempting to catch her. 

Kazue easily dodges this, after all, she had already seen this attack before. 

[I'm ready...] 

As soon as she said this to herself, she started to counter-attack. 

Kazue used (Decapitating Slash) once again to attack the outreached hand of the monster. 

  

  

“KIEEEEEEHHHHKK” <Kobold General> 

The monster screeched as its arm was completely sliced-off. 

Unlike earlier, Kazue targeted the elbow joint this time. 

This time she used more force and the monster did not even try to dodge her attack. 

This resulted in the amputation of the right arm of the kobold general. 

  

  

The arm fell to the floor and rolled in the floor. 

Glowing blood sprayed from the wound. 

The blood released steam similar to that of hot water. 

Maybe because of pain, the monster flailed to keep Kazue away. 

It wildly swung its limped left hand toward Kazue. 

  

  

Kazue was not expecting this, she did not have enough time to dodge the wild swing and received the blow in full. 

She crossed her hands to block the swing. 

“Crap” <Kazue> 

She cursed as she was sent flying in the air and crashed on the opposite wall. 

  

  

“Gahk” <Kazue> 

Kazue’s back crashed on the wall. 

A dull pain spread through her body starting from her back. 

Kazue released the sword she held in his right hand, she fell to her knees. 

She was trying to gobble up the pain. 

  

  

-cough- -cough- 

Kazue coughed from the pain. 

She even coughed blood; it was the first time she ever coughed blood. 

“Ouch” <Kazue> 

She felt intense pain coming from her left arm. 

She looked at her arm and saw that her left arm, which receive the full extent of the swing was broken. 

As she expected, her “Mana shroud” and equipment were not enough to fully protect her from the destructive power of the monster. 

On the bright side, Kazue had completely busted both of the monster’s arms. 

The only method it could attack now is to use its mouth or use its left hand as a blunt weapon 

  

  

Kazue picked up her sword with her working hand. 

Thankfully Kazue was right-handed, losing her left arm is not that bad. 

In exchange, she will not be able to do a two-handed swing. 

A one-handed sword swing is significantly weaker compared to sword swings performed with two. 

This only means that Kazue's damage output is lowered and could only do much damage. 

This also seals the use of the skill (Decapitation slash) since it was a skill that needs the use of her two hands. 

Kazue felt pain but, with the adrenaline and the use of (Concentration) skills, Kazue was able to ignore the pain by focusing all her attention on the monster. 

  

  

On the other hand, Kaori bombarded the monster with (Water Ball) to back up Kazue. 

Kaori was aware that Kazue needed some time to get herself together. 

Kaori blasted a continuous barrage of water balls at the monster. 

It did not do much but she was able to keep its attention away from Kazue. 

  

  

After recovering Mizusawa Kazue proceeded to fight the monster with only one hand. 

But she was confident that this was enough to attain victory. 

Another 5 minutes had passed. 

At some point, Kaori had used up all of her mana and was unable to support Kazue. 

But her effort was not in vain, during the times Kaori would shoot out her (Water Ball), Kazue will use that moment to swing her Katana at the kobold. 

  

  

Kazue had even used up quite an amount of mana herself. 

She could feel that she only had about 10-15% of her mana remaining. 

“It’s my win” <Kazue> 

She muttered to the monster. 

It seems that the effect of his skill (Rampage) had also faded. 

  

  

“HOW?! HOW?! HOW ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!” 

The monster screams at Kazue. 

Kazue managed to sever the ligaments on the kobold’s right foot rendering it unable to walk. 

As a result, the monster was kneeling on one foot. 

Blood was oozing out of the monster's body as well from the wound it receives through this fight. 

Since both of its arms were damaged to the point that it has become useless in battle, the fight was already decided. 

  

  

The monster was barely keeping its consciousness afloat. 

Kobe Yasuo was feeling dizzy from the amount of blood he lost. 

The fight was practically decided, it was Kazue’s victory. 

  

  

“DAMN IT!! DAMN IT!! DAMN IT!! DAMN IT!!” <Kobold General> 

The kobold general, Kobe Yasuo frustratingly cursed at everything. 

Kazue walked toward Kobe Yasuo. 

With an imposing demeanor, she confidently raised her sword. 

She points her sword at the face of Kobe Yasuo to declare her victory. 

  

  

“Give up, I’ve won.” <Kazue> 

Kazue cocked back her sword and was about to stab it at the monster. 

At that moment, the monster made a face of fear directed at Kazue. 

Kazue saw this reaction. 

She stopped her hands from proceeding to end the life of this despicable monster. 

She hesitated. 

  

  

To Kazue’s surprise, she could not move. 

It seems that she has not resolved enough. 

When it was time for her to end the fight and end the monster's life, she could not move. 

To end the life of a being who was once a human, she could not do it. 

  

  

“KAKAKAKA FOOL!” <Kobold General> 

The monster did not let this slip and tried to attack Kazue with a bite. 

[Sh*t] <Kazue> 

She knew she made a huge mistake. 

Maybe it was because of her exhaustion? Or… 

Maybe it was because she did not want to end one person's life. 

Maybe it was both? 

  

  

Kazue was out of her mind for a moment; thus, it created an opening for her enemy to strike. 

She was unable to properly react to that attack. 

Kazue still managed to step back but as she did, she lost her balance and fell on her back. 

She thought it was her end. 

[If only, If I did not hesitate.] <Kazue> 

She could only close her eyes and await her getting bitten. 

[Damn it.] <Kazue> 

  

  

“ARHHHHHHGGGG” <Kobold General> 

A high-pitched scream once again echoed through the passageway. 

It was the high-pitched voice of the kobold general, Kobe Yasuo. 

“Eh?” <Kazue> 

Kazue was dumbfounded by the sudden scream. 

She thought she had made a fatal blunder and should be the one screaming at the moment. 

She opened her eyes and saw Isamu biting on the kobold’s general’s neck from behind. 

  

  

Isamu protected his mother in the nick of time. 

The next moment Hayate also did the same by scratching his claws at the kobold's chest. 

He only managed to do minimal damage but it was enough to create new wounds on the monster's chest. 

  

  

Kazue did not realize that Isamu and Hayate have already returned. 

Thanks to them she was able to avoid getting bitten by Kobe Yasuo. 

  

  

“Isamu… Hayate…” <Kazue> 

It was thanks to Isamu and Hayate that Kazue manages to survive this time. 

She unconsciously bit her lip out of frustration. 

She did not expect “her” to hesitate to only almost die from doing so. 

She knew what went wrong, and she was determined to fix it. 

Her eyes became cold, and the glow from her eyes faded and was devoid of all emotion. 

  

  

She stood on her two feet. 

This time without hesitation, she thrust her katana directly at the kobold’s heart with the full weight of her body. 

“DIE!” <Kazue> 

Her Katana, clad with an aura blade pierced the tough skin and fur of the kobold. 

It soon reached the kobold heart. 

The katana was fully stabbed into the Kobold General's heart. 

It made its final resistance and struggled. 

This made Kazue's tongue click in annoyance. 

At this time Hayate, as well as Kaori bit onto each of his legs, pinning the kobold general. 

She twisted the sword still pierced into the kobold general’s chest. 

Blood oozed out of the monster’s mouth like a waterfall. 

With that the kobold general’s body jerked. 

  

  

Kazue pulled her sword out of the kobold’s body. 

As she did the kobold general coughed a large amount of blood from its mouth. 

It was looking at Kazue’s cold eyes, Kazue looked back at the monster with a cold stare. 

As the two locked eyes, the kobold could tell what Kazue was thinking at that moment. 

Kazue was wishing for him to "DIE". 

Kazue was only thinking to kill him at that moment. 

  

  

As time passed, the strength of the Kobold general’s resistance weakened. 

Soon, it stopped. 

Isamu, Kaori, and Hayate released their mouths from the monster. 

The monster lifelessly fell on the floor. 

  

  

“HAAA, HAAA, HAAA” <Kazue> 

The surrounding was silent. 

Only the deep breathing of Kazue could be heard. 

Kazue, closed her eyes swallowed some of her salivae to wet her dry throat then breathed out a large amount of air from her lungs while facing the ceiling. 

“Future” <Kazue> 

Kazue released the activation of her (Concentration), (Aura Blade), and (Mana Shroud) to try and relax. 

  

  

Kazue’s eyes were still closed. 

She could see the world “JUDGEMENT SERVED” behind her closed eyes. 

Then right away, the mission that the god of Judgement “Rites of Equinox” flashed. 

  

  

--------------- 

Rites of Equinox 

Progress: 2/5 

  

The individual Kobe Yasuo is successfully judged by Mizusawa Kazue (Apprentice Oracle). Judgment is served. 

  

  

The god of Judgement gives you praises and an apology. 

  

PS: 

You’ve done well my oracle, 

Sorry that I’ll burden you with this kind of mission but I did not expect you to encounter a “Reincarnator”. I know you may feel burdened with this. Rest assured that the God of Judgement takes all of the responsibility with you. 

I assure you that “Kobe Yasuo” will never get his 3rd chance. 

  

------------- 

  

  

************************ 

KAZUE POV 

  

  

I slowly opened my eyes. 

I looked at the lifeless body of the monster who was once called “Kobe Yasuo”. 

At first, I was expecting to feel bad about the monster. 

I could see myself vomiting at the corpse of the fallen monster, feeling remorse and self-ridicule. 

Despite knowing the fact that it was once a human who lived in the same world, I killed him. 

With my own two hands. 

  

  

At the same time, all I could see was a figure of a monster. 

A monster that tried to kill me. 

A monster that almost killed Andrew and his party. 

A monster that is evil and deserved “death”. 

Surprisingly, I did not feel that bad. 

Surely, I am aware of the fact that I’ve killed someone. 

I would be lying if I say that I feel nothing about killing him. 

I do feel some feelings of remorse and self-ridicule, my conscience also says that I may have done something bad. 

But that’s it. 

  

  

I wonder… 

Should I feel bothered by the fact that I just killed a person? 

In this world, he was no different than a monster. 

Rather, if he was a human… he was still a monster deep inside. 

Should I feel that bad for him? 

I don’t know… 

  

  

I continued to stare at the corpse of the monster. 

Then my thought wondered. 

[I guess… I have to be thankful for this one. I’ve learned that when dealing with such an opponent, hesitation could only lead to bad things. What if one day I have to face “Bandits”? As I am now, I’m quite sure that I would hesitate to kill them, especially since they look exactly like a human. They have emotions, they may have family and friends. Will I be able to harm them, much less... kill them? From what I experience today, I might falter. But if my life is on the line things may change. If something like this ever happens again… I…] 

I could feel something “Cold” inside me. 

It was a cold resolve, to not hesitate if things would come to that. 

  

  

-Whimper- [Mother you look scary.] <Kaori> 

I realized that my resolve was painted on my face. 

“Oh, is that so? Sorry!” 

I walked and placed my hands over Kaori’s head and ruffled her head. 

“You did a good job today Kaori” <Kazue> 

-bark- [Thank you, mother] <Kaori> 

“You too Isamu, Hayate” <Kazue> 

I called Isamu and Hayate and started petting them as well. 

They saved me this time after all. 

  

  

“O-Ouch” <Kazue> 

I felt intense pain coming from my left hand. 

It seems that the adrenaline from a while ago has already subsided. 

I am starting to feel the pain from my broken arm. 

  

  

To alleviate the pain of my broken arm, I’ve decided to take out some potion. 

Too bad, I only have Low-tier potions left from within my dimensional bag. 

Even so, I still took them out and drank them one by one. 

After taking in 10 low-tier potions I’ve noticed that the pain has subsided significantly, but the broken bones in my arm did not go back to normal. 

I’ve concluded that a low-tier potion might not work on broken bones. 

But since it did alleviate the pain it was good enough. 

  

  

I left the area to meet with the Tremblecloud party. 

Isamu led me to the place where he brought the injured party. 

At last, we arrived at the cavern where I found the treasures from earlier. 

  

  

“LITTLE MISS! YOU'RE OKAY!” <Andrew> 

Right away I heard the voice of Andrew-san calling me. 

“Andrew-san” <Kazue> 

I replied to the voice calling my name. 

Andrew walked toward my location and investigated me from head to toe. 

  

  

As he did, I looked at myself and saw that I was covered in blood, dirt, and soot all over my body. 

“Did you defeat the kobold general?” <Andrew> 

He asked, I think He knows the answer but I guess he still wanted me to say it clearly. 

“I did.” <Kazue> 

I replied earnestly while trying to show him a peace sign. 

But before I manage to do so, I was stopped by the pain coming from my broken left arm. 

I instead held my arm in pain. 

  

  

Andrew saw my face grimace from pain. 

He noticed that my arm was broken. 

“You also broke your arm? Are you trying to imitate me?” <Andrew> 

He said sarcastically, but he was smiling at me as well. 

  

  

“Stupid it’s not like that.” <Kazue> 

Then I realized, Andrew’s left arm was also broken, although compared to mine, his was even worse. 

When I saw that, I don’t know why but I wanted to laugh all of a sudden. 

Maybe, I did realize that we ended up having the same injury and I found that funny. 

  

  

Andrew-san then started to make a small chuckle. 

“hehe” <Kazue> 

[I guess a little laugh will not hurt?] 

I awkwardly laughed at Andrew-san and myself. 

  

  

  

  

  

Author Note: 

Hi there~ 

  

I'm back! it's been a week >.< 

I'm still kinda busy nowadays so I have to pace myself 

My time for writing this week is used up for some other stuff. 

I also quite some time gaming this week which only made it worse hahah~ 

well, I'm on my usual schedule so I may release more chapters later. 

  

  

  

peace! 

14