First Day
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 I was in the last teenage year of my life, riding a public bus to reach the college I had got admission to while I happened to catch a glance outside the window to see the road being blocked by people who are protesting. A thought came to my mind and clutched at it for some time.

“What if all of us were equal in terms of physical, mental, and spiritual prowess? Would there still be the extent of evil and injustice as it is now? Power to me is nothing but a tool used by those who have it to make themselves bigger and more prominent in the world. The powerless though are at their disposal, cowering in fear and praying to God to protect them from their clutches. It takes a lot of courage and boldness to go against the ones in power. The hardest thing isn’t going against the powerful but to go against the powerless and go for the throat of the ones in power.  

Speaking of that I skipped my orientation ceremony. It’s not a big deal though but most of the connections and impressions are said to be built on the first day. The people you want to talk to, you want to associate with, and you want to hang out with mostly depend on how you perceive others and how others perceive you. It is not that the following days aren’t important, but one can also not deny the significance of the first day. Well, there’s nothing I can do to change that though, looks like am going to either spend the whole of my college life as a loner or as a Jack again...  

I entered a lecture theatre that can host up to 220 students and scanned the whole room for an empty seat to sit on. I rushes to the seat at the back as soon as I see it and took a sigh of relief and congratulated myself on this little feat.  

The lecture theatre was occupied, by the chorus of noise that the students were making. I took a concentrated view of the theatre and to my amazement, I find that students were gossiping, eating lunch, sharing contacts, and laughing at jokes already. 

What a rowdy bunch of humans. They are as cozy as if they spent their earlier lives being brothers and sisters. The stupidity of humans never ceases to amaze me. They would try to find the person they can relate to as soon as someone throws them into an unknown environment and then they try to associate themselves with a group. What difference then stays between them and sheep who try to not to think about anything but food...

The teacher entered the classroom, and the room went quiet all of a sudden. Students stood up in a disordered manner that appeared mocking to me and seems disrespectful or illogical.  

This class is nothing but a herd of sheep that needs a shepherd to show them the way, but do they even care to know?

The class progressed smoothly while I kept scanning everyone's behavior, body language, and concentration. Some people seemed interesting and worth knowing and being friends with, but they were all in a group or so. Well, that is it for me I suppose. Another part of my life was now ruined thanks to this cheap system and the stupidity of humans. The day progressed with me not being able to start a conversation with anyone. Everyone wanted to know their friends more and spend time with them. I cannot blame them for that, it is natural by the way but where do I stand? I cannot accept being a drifter throughout my college. I promised to become better at understanding people and live a normal life like others. It is so frustrating...  

I started walking out of the college, onto the pavement back to my dorm.  

"Someone's early as usual? Did you not find anyone worth talking to or you were too shy to even talk?"  

"Just shut the fuck up, Icarus."  

"Ooh, I am afraid. What got you so worked up? I am just kidding. Everything went right, right?"  

I looked out of the window into the darkness, with my eyes turning sparkly yet more demonic with each passing moment.  

"Hey, hey, hey Enoch! You ok friend?"  

"Yeah, I'm fine. Don't disturb me I have work to do."  

"Starting study so early in the year, huh? You are one studious fellow. Ignoring me as usual, huh? Do not forget that you have only me to whom you talk... hey! Still not listening, huh? Suit yourself."  

I took out my books from the shelf and started studying while Icarus busies himself with playing with one of the apples lying on the table. The room was a cuboid of some sort with an attached bathroom. It was well furnished, having a bed, two sofas, a study table and chair, a fireplace, and a window that opens to a view of the outside world with trees, the starry sky, the breathtaking mountains, and a waterfall in the center of the dormitory courtyard. The room also featured a cupboard, a mirror, and pictures on the wall set according to the likes of the students as they described in their resumes. The wallpaper on the walls isn't too lavish. A simple dark blue colored background with the ceiling being white and there is black carpet on the floor. There was a table lamp on the study table the light of which reaches even the darkest corner of the room and there are two shell-shaped lamps with a blue light stuck on the wall above the fireplace. There is a fruit basket lying on the settee between the sofas. Icarus has occupied one of them as I continued to study while sitting at the study table, and a cool mountain breeze from the window beside the table came in and fondled my brownish-black hair as if trying to comfort me of my agonies... 

0