Chapter 98 – Refusal
510 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After having the idea, Ailin wasted no time and headed straight to the 2nd Division.

"Yo, Soi Fon, we meet again."

Upon arriving at the 2nd Division, as expected, Ailin did not see Yoruichi Shihōin in the Captain's room. Only the tiny Soi Fon was buried under a mountain of paperwork.

This time, deliberately or not, Ailin used his Reiatsu to stir the air around him, creating a subtle breeze that caused his Captain's haori to flutter up and gently fall back down, as if afraid Soi Fon wouldn't notice him.

Crack!

Bulging veins formed the character "well" on Soi Fon's forehead. This guy, couldn't he see that she was busy?

And he was creating such a provocative breeze, what if it messed up the documents she had already processed? It's not like he just became a Captain again. What's so great about that? "Calm down, calm down..."

After silently repeating those words, Soi Fon regained her composure and gave Ailin a forced smile. "Ah, Captain Ailin, what brings you to our 2nd Division?"

"Eh, nothing much. I just felt a bit troubled, so I came here to chat with an old friend."

Ailin let out an exaggerated sigh and said in a helpless tone, "When I resigned as Captain of the 6th Division, I felt so relieved. But who knew that relief wouldn't last long before the Captain-Commander dragged me out to become the Captain of the 11th Division. Soi Fon, tell me, why is my life so miserable?"

Crack...

Another pen snapped in Soi Fon's hand.

"Come to think of it, for all these years, my happiest days were actually when I was just a humble member of the Punishment Force in the 2nd Division... My biggest regret was challenging the former Lieutenant Ōmaeda, revealing my excellence to everyone and putting all that pressure on me..."

Crack!

"Look at this Captain's haori..."

Bang!

Soi Fon slammed her palm on the desk, shattering the broken pen pieces in her hand, interrupting Ailin's boasting.

“Captain Ailin, may I ask what brings you to the 2nd Division”

Soi Fon gritted her teeth, enunciating each word as she glared at Ailin. "If you have no business here, please leave the 2nd Division. Otherwise, I will issue a wanted notice for Captain Ailin on charges of attempting to steal crucial Seireitei secrets."

After saying that, Soi Fon deliberately tossed a paper filled with intelligence information at Ailin's feet.

"My apologies, that was rude of me." Seeing that Soi Fon had reached her limit, Ailin decided not to tease her further.

If he really made Soi Fon cry, Yoruichi would surely take her side, and Ailin might face difficulties if he wanted to ask Kisuke Urahara for help in the future.

"Please inform Captain Yoruichi that I wish to ask Captain Urahara for a favor."

"Hmph, you should have said so earlier. Wait here, I'll let Lady Yoruichi know of your situation after I finish this paperwork."

Although she said that, Soi Fon immediately summoned a Hell Butterfly to deliver Ailin's message to Yoruichi.

No matter what, Ailin was one of the top Captains in the Gotei 13, so while Soi Fon could indulge in some petty behavior due to her relationship with Ailin, she did not hesitate when it came to important matters.

Seeing that Soi Fon had sent the message, Ailin no longer disturbed her. Instead, he sat across from her, casually picking up an unprocessed document and marking it.

Soi Fon shot Ailin a glance but said nothing more. After all, Ailin had been the Vice-Captain of the 2nd Division for five years and was very familiar with the Division's paperwork.

Although he wasn't as fast as Soi Fon in processing the work, he wouldn't make any mistakes that required her to re-do it.

Both the 2nd and 8th Divisions had their own "Intelligence Corps." However, the 2nd Division's "intelligence" mainly focused on internal information within the Seireitei.

The 8th Division's intelligence was about the outside world, including Hueco Mundo and the Human World.

By helping Soi Fon with the paperwork, Ailin also learned about some recent intelligence within the Seireitei.

For instance, since Sōya Azashiro was imprisoned in Muken, the number of Shinigami deaths had increased somewhat compared to previous years...

The infiltration of Hollows from Hueco Mundo into the Soul Society and the Human World seemed to have intensified as well, with a significant increase in the number of Hollows appearing in both realms...

Suddenly, Ailin's eyes narrowed.

The intelligence report in his hand was transmitted from the Human World by a Shinigami who had been exiled for a thousand years.

Ailin focused his gaze on the photograph and name of this officer. With short ash-gray hair parted to the right and swept back, and intelligent-looking golden-rimmed eyes, she exuded an air of sophistication.

Ran'Tao!

The one whose experiment inadvertently created the tragic Bount race by destroying one-tenth of the Soul Society.

In this report, the researcher Ran'Tao stated that her lifespan was nearing its end and that she planned to modify her body. Unable to continue protecting the Bount tribe, she hoped the Seireitei would reconsider accepting this tragic race.

Ailin found it strange. Logically, shouldn't Ran'Tao have sent this intelligence to the 8th Division?

Why did the 2nd Division receive it? "Soi Fon, take a look at this intelligence report."

Out of curiosity, Ailin handed the report to Soi Fon. "Who is this Ran'Tao? And what's the situation with the Bount tribe?"

However, Soi Fon merely glanced at it and casually told Ailin, "This Ran'Tao is a former researcher from the Seireitei Research Institute, the predecessor of the current 12th Division. Due to a mishap in the experiment she was leading, she caused immense damage to the Seireitei and was exiled.

As for the Bounts, they seem to be a new race that emerged in the Human World as a result of that experiment.

Over the years, Researcher Ran'Tao has hoped that the Seireitei would acknowledge the existence of the Bounts and allow them to live in the Seireitei, but the Central 46 Chambers have rejected her requests. So, she tried to take this path through the Gotei 13, hoping that the Gotei 13 would accept the Bounts.

Except for the 6th and 12th Divisions, all other Divisions have received Researcher Ran'Tao's request to allow the Bounts to become Shinigami within their Divisions, giving them a place to settle in the Seireitei. However, since the Bounts lack the ability to control Reishi, no one wants to take on such a burden..."

After listening to Soi Fon's explanation, Ailin understood.

Indeed, the current Bounts, who had been under Ran'Tao's protection, had not yet gained the ability to control their "dolls."

Perhaps it was only after Ran'Tao modified herself and fell into a slumber, leaving the Bounts without a protector, that they became accustomed to the power of their "dolls" while facing the hunt of Hollows. Through controlling their "dolls," they eventually developed strength on par with Shinigami.

A thousand years ago, before the Gotei 13 was officially formed, the emergence of the Bounts was likely unrelated to the Soul King's will. No wonder they came to the Soul Society to die two hundred years later.

However, one Bount ultimately survived and would likely continue living, so the Bount tribe couldn't be considered extinct.

After setting aside this information, Ailin continued to process the paperwork with Soi Fon.

About half an hour later, a black Hell Butterfly flew into the Captain's room, and Soi Fon extended her right hand, allowing the Hell Butterfly to land on her index finger.

After reading the information from the Hell Butterfly, Soi Fon seemed relieved and told Ailin, "Captain Ailin, you may leave. Lady Yoruichi said to go directly to the usual place. They'll be waiting for you there."

"Mm, thank you, Soi Fon."

After finishing the paperwork in his hands, Ailin stood up and stretched lazily.

"Ah, I don't know why, but for some reason, I feel much more comfortable when Soi Fon calls me 'Captain Ailin' than when others do... I'll be going now. Remember to call me Captain Ailin the next time we meet, Vice Captain Soi Fon.”

Crack!

"Get out!"

***

The "usual place" referred to the underground base Ailin had visited a few times.

Ailin knew the location well. After all, during his last visit, Byakuya's Bankai had destroyed Kisuke Urahara's "Suspended Universe" barrier, and Ailin had set up a new one for Urahara.

This new "Suspended Universe" barrier incorporated the principles created by Aizen from Hueco Mundo, allowing it to withstand battles at the Captain level without being destroyed.

To shatter the barrier Ailin had set up would require at least the destructive power of a century-old Captain.

Logically, if Ailin wanted to find Kisuke Urahara, he could have come directly here. However, Ailin was well aware that Urahara was likely researching the Hogyoku at the moment, and he didn't want to witness the process of its creation.

Moreover, their relationship had not reached a point where Ailin could barge into Urahara's underground base at any time.

In Ailin's current position, it was better to first go to the 2nd Division and have Soi Fon or Yoruichi relay his request to Urahara, giving him time to prepare. This way, their interaction would be more comfortable for both parties.

"Captain Ailin, it's an honor that you still remember me, a humble person." Upon seeing Ailin, Kisuke Urahara playfully bantered as usual.

"Come on, Urahara, you know about the recent events in Rukongai. I've practically been living there, so I haven't had time to come here. Besides..."

Ailin gave Urahara a meaningful look. "If I were to come here every day, you might have a different attitude towards me, wouldn't you?"

"Ah, ah, Captain Ailin, don't say such harsh things... But I have to admit, I'm quite troubled that every time you seek me out, Captain Ailin, it seems to be for something not easily accomplished. I wonder what you need my help with this time?"

"Ah, this favor I need to ask of you is indeed a bit difficult."

"Oh?"

Urahara became curious about what task would make Ailin say it was "a bit difficult."

Due to Ailin's abilities, after so much interaction, Urahara felt that aside from Yoruichi, Ailin might be the one who understood him the most.

"Urahara, I want to ask you to help me obtain a 'Negación' for research purposes."

"Hm?" Urahara's eyes widened with bewilderment.

"Captain Ailin, do you know what a 'Negación' is?"

"Of course, I do." Ailin sat across from Urahara. "Negación is an ability used by the Menos Grande to rescue their fellow Hollows. Its principle is to isolate the interior and exterior spaces of the Negación. Any attacks from outside the Negación cannot reach those inside due to the different spaces, making it an extremely powerful ability."

"Correct, Negación is a spatial-crossing ability mastered by the Menos Grande, similar to the Garganta, and is considered an innate Hollow ability. Then how do you expect me to control those Menos Grande and have them release a 'Negación' based on their instinct in another space for research?" Urahara initially thought Ailin meant "a bit difficult" for something else.

Now it seemed that this was far more than "a bit difficult."

"Captain Ailin, aren't you giving me too much credit?"

"Eh, don't say that, Urahara."

Patting Urahara's shoulder, Ailin reassured him, "You have to believe in yourself. You're the smartest person in the world. I won't let you look down on yourself like that."

Urahara: "I appreciate that... Captain Ailin, may I ask why you want to study the Negación?"

"Mm, it's not something I can't share."

To quickly succeed in creating "Avalon," studying the "Negación" was the best and fastest approach.

"Urahara, you know that my Zanpakutō's ability is 'Forging.’ To forge a 'sword' with special abilities, I must have an understanding of those abilities first. My level of understanding of an ability is related to the strength of the sword's ability after it is forged.

You also know that Haruko is currently studying at the Shin'ō Academy, and I want to forge a sword for her that can defend against all attacks. After considering it, the strongest defense in this world is the Negación of the Menos Grande. That's why I want to study the Negación and use its principles to create a sword for Haruko based on it."

"I see." Urahara nodded in understanding.

Nice!

He gained more insight into Ailin's abilities.

First, for Ailin to forge a sword with special abilities, he needed to have a certain level of understanding of those abilities.

Second, the swords Ailin forged could be used by others, like Zanpakutō! (To be determined)

Of course, Urahara didn't know if Ailin meant Haruko could use it in the same way as a Zanpakutō. But most likely, it would be different. After all, Urahara was aware of Haruko Kuchiki's talent.

Even if given a Zanpakutō with powerful abilities, Haruko likely wouldn't have enough Reiatsu to release it.

"Captain Ailin, while I'm flattered by your high opinion of me, I'm afraid..." Urahara shook his head. "I'm sorry, but your request is something I cannot accomplish."

 

Thank you for the Ratings/Likes and Comments. Your support is the greatest encouragement for me!

Become a member at:
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

 

26